Best Plasma & LED-LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, I realize this is the "LCD" part of the forum, but I have a question for both LCD and Plasma, but if I need to re-direct my plasma question on the Plasma part of the forum I will gladly do so.

I am helping a few people that asked me which tv's I would recommend. Three of them are leaning towards Plasma and the other three want LED-LCD. I just wanted to know which three tv's would be the best to buy in plasma and which three would be the best to buy for LED.

The price range is around $300 - $1000 for a new tv. I am trying to target tv's for them that are a good bang for your buck or tv's with great features. If you guys could help me out that would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonm View Post

Hi everyone, I realize this is the "LCD" part of the forum, but I have a question for both LCD and Plasma, but if I need to re-direct my plasma question on the Plasma part of the forum I will gladly do so.

I am helping a few people that asked me which tv's I would recommend. Three of them are leaning towards Plasma and the other three want LED-LCD. I just wanted to know which three tv's would be the best to buy in plasma and which three would be the best to buy for LED.

The price range is around $300 - $1000 for a new tv. I am trying to target tv's for them that are a good bang for your buck or tv's with great features. If you guys could help me out that would be great!

But what sizes of HDTV are they wanting??? (That will make a big difference).
I'm partial to plasmas for their superior black levels and shadow detail, FAR better off-axis viewing, no motion blurring issues, and more natural color - and to top it off, they're less expensive than LCDs/LEDs too!

Check B&H Photo Video for some of the better deals for either...good luck!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Display+Type_Plasma&ci=4919&N=4294544032+4292350633

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 409
and then walk into a Best Buy or another local retailer and get them to price match B&H, unless you happen to live in NYC.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #4 of 7 Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

basically between 42" - 54" tv's. They are mostly concerned about picture quality. There isn't very many electronic stores around my area since they have been closed down, Best Buy being one of them. So it's hard to look at a lot of different tv's. I have seen some at Walmart, but they have them running off a cheap receiver or something because the picture quality seems to have a lot of static or motion blur on almost all of them, which I don't know if it's how they have them setup or if thats how the tv quality really is.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonm View Post

basically between 42" - 54" tv's. They are mostly concerned about picture quality. There isn't very many electronic stores around my area since they have been closed down, Best Buy being one of them. So it's hard to look at a lot of different tv's. I have seen some at Walmart, but they have them running off a cheap receiver or something because the picture quality seems to have a lot of static or motion blur on almost all of them, which I don't know if it's how they have them setup or if thats how the tv quality really is.

Then if you don't have many opportunities for 'first-hand' shopping, then I'd rely on Home Theater Magazine's "Top Picks" ratings and recommendations: http://www.hometheater.com/content/top-picks-flat-panels
I haven't seen a bad recommendation from them yet!
(P.S. - all the expect reviewers own plasmas for their personal displays which should tell you something! But if you're a video gamer I'd stick with LCD/LED sets because of the stationary menus and score boxes, etc.).

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #6 of 7 Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Then if you don't have many opportunities for 'first-hand' shopping, then I'd rely on Home Theater Magazine's "Top Picks" ratings and recommendations: http://www.hometheater.com/content/top-picks-flat-panels
I haven't seen a bad recommendation from them yet!
(P.S. - all the expect reviewers own plasmas for their personal displays which should tell you something! But if you're a video gamer I'd stick with LCD/LED sets because of the stationary menus and score boxes, etc.).

Awesome, thank you!!
post #7 of 7 Old 07-11-2013, 02:59 AM

Liked: 37
OP: You posted this in the wrong place. This is the "found deals" sub-forum.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page