Great deal for Panasonic 65GT30? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-20-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone aware of someone offering a great deal for the Panasonic 65 GT30 that has an exchange policy? (Normally the latter isn't a big deal to me, but I'm looking for a little insurance should I get really unlucky and end up with one of the very noticeable "green-blob issue" units).

Just from doing a basic web search I found around $2175 shipped http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Panasoni.../tcp65gt30.htm and a few vendors in the low-$2200's but they don't appear the sort that would provide a replacement unit.

In comparison Amazon is $2460, almost $300 more. I was already stretching a little past the $2k wife-imposed target budget so Amazon's price is getting into the danger-zone (and would sadden me to pay too as then I'm within a couple hundred of the VT30 deals! )

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-20-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I'd keep my eye on Amazon which has great prices right now and free 30 day return policy. If they have the stock they usually will let you exchange for the same set.

Amazon's price is $2007 right now.

post #3 of 10 Old 11-20-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, just noticed that the price is for Paul's shipped by Amazon and that's a different matter all together.

I'd still keep my eye on Amazon. I trust them the most (aside from VE and Cleveland).

post #4 of 10 Old 11-20-2011, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I'd keep my eye on Amazon which has great prices right now and free 30 day return policy. If they have the stock they usually will let you exchange for the same set.

Amazon's price is $2007 right now.
... Sorry, just noticed that the price is for Paul's shipped by Amazon and that's a different matter all together.

Unfortunately that price is for the 65ST30 rather than the 65GT30. Amazon's price on the GT is $2460 I think. I could still end up with that if I can't find a better deal from somewhere with a decent return policy, if only it was a little lower I'd just pull the trigger now and be done.

Does Paul's have a bad rap? It's a local chain I hadn't considered actually, I wonder if it's worth seeing if they will price match on the GT30.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-20-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Demon View Post

Unfortunately that price is for the 65ST30 rather than the 65GT30. Amazon's price on the GT is $2460 I think. I could still end up with that if I can't find a better deal from somewhere with a decent return policy, if only it was a little lower I'd just pull the trigger now and be done.

Does Paul's have a bad rap? It's a local chain I hadn't considered actually, I wonder if it's worth seeing if they will price match on the GT30.

if it is sold by pauls but fulfilled by amazon the return policy is the same as amazons, i ordered a set on amazon sold by pauls and fulfilled by amazon and i returned it no problem.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-20-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

You're right. I just happen to have windows open on both the ST and GT.

The problem with buying from a vendor is the return policy which is different and not nearly as easy for returns with some of them not offering free return shipping. Also, if a problem develops they often expect you to go through the manufacturer rather than return it.

I think there might be able to find some info on Paul's here on AVS if you search.

So how soon do you want the set? Have you seen it in person? And is the the ST30 totally out of the question for you?

post #7 of 10 Old 11-20-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:

You're right. I just happen to have windows open on both the ST and GT.

The problem with buying from a vendor is the return policy which is different and not nearly as easy for returns with some of them not offering free return shipping. Also, if a problem develops they often expect you to go through the manufacturer rather than return it.

I think there might be able to find some info on Paul's here on AVS if you search.

So how soon do you want the set? Have you seen it in person? And is the the ST30 totally out of the question for you?

but most of the time pauls is fulfilled by amazon... so you can return it
post #8 of 10 Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Keep in mind Amazon will price match any new TV that is sold by another retailer on their Web site.

post #9 of 10 Old 11-22-2011, 12:09 PM

If Amazon is fulfilling a Paul's TV sale, you might consider calling Paul's and asking them for a better price buying direct. Amazon's "fulfillment" KILLS retailers (commish changes based on value of the sale, and relationship, but it is STEEP).
post #10 of 10 Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I killed two birds with one stone yesterday and dropped by a local Paul's to see the set in person.

There's no good reason I could find to buy from a local Paul's vs. Amazon. 10 day return policy for Paul's vs. 30 for Amazon, and Paul's would at best match Amazon's price (if that). Add in sales-tax and you're paying a lot more and getting less support.

I like the GT30 better than the ST30, for physical aesthetics, the THX mode, and I think it's supposed to have a slightly less reflective/higher contrast screen? In any case this is a long-term (5+ year) purchase so while I would prefer to pay less if some better deals come up, I won't walk away from the 65" GT from Amazon for want of Amazon being $250 more vs. the rock-bottom web vendors.

Having seen the TV, the only thing I'm a little concerned about is brightness (family room w/ windows) and shadow detail. Like other plasma's I've seen in the past (and didn't like for this reason), it seems like darker shadow detail that's apparent on other non-plasma TV's can get lost, and becomes "black"/amorphous on plasma. Hopefully the settings can be adjusted in such a way to overcome this without making the rest of the picture a little washed out..

The only other issue that worries me is burn-in since I have CNBC on for 2 hours a day.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page