post #451 of 526 Old 03-24-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

It is either feast or famine with Home Direct . . . Or any discount shipper Amazon uses. I had Home Direct deliver twice (had to replace a unit). First time was OK, but they refused to put the TV on its Panasonic stand . . . You havemto sign that the tv was perfect before they leave . . . Hard to check the screen for cracks or scratches and hard to check it to see if it turns n . . . IF IT STILL IS IN THE STYROFOAM INSIDE THE SHIPPEING BOX STILL ON THE FLOOR!!!

The second time, when they had to deliver a replacemnt, only one guy came to deliver my replacement 65vt30, even though it was right n the work order required a minimum of two, especially since we had 12 steps to negotiate into the house! I have a disabled left leg, and the guy showed up 3 hours late, because his "Gps broke.". I inquired why he did not use his cell to call for directions. He said, "Wow, I never thought about that.". Besides the whiskey on his breath, I bet he just left his partner at the bar on the clock to pick him back up on the way through. Now get this, he required me to box up the old one alone . . . (I was told not to by Home Direct, because they. Had to make sure they had all of the stuff back in the box.) then me, the disabled guy, had to help him carry the old one down the stairs because he forgot a furniture dolly. Once at the base of the stairs, he said for me. To stand back, that he could handle it from there. He parked the truck 40 yards down our rock driveway because he just was not good at backing up. I watched as he literally rolled the box with the defective model (four dead pixels in the center of the screen) end over end to the truck and then I helped lift it in. End over end rolled!

Then we got my replacement off the truck, and he said to stand back so he could roll that one end over end to the house! He moaned and complained that I made him Carry his end instead. Somehow, an overweight drunk and my crippled self got it back into the living room and unboxed it . . . When he nformed me it was against his company's rules to help me put it on the stand. Then said, "sign here" and he thankfully left my property.

Amazon simply uses discount shippers . . . Lowest bidders, but, how could I complain? I got the TV for $2387 and no shipping cost. And what makes Amazn so amazing is when I had a problem with the first unit, no questions asked they immediately shipped out a new ne (that arrived in town two days later, but I had to wait another 5 days when the Home Direct said they had time to deliver in my small town--the TV was iterally Bly five miles away for that extra five days.

Amazon also uses Pilot . . . Same thing, feast or famine.

You might actually get white glove service, or you might get the scheister, lazy dupe I last got. That is the world of discount shipping.

So, my recommendation to all is simple: plan for the worst! Invite 2 or 3 of your friends to the four hour delivery window, and grill some burgers and make it fun. Otherwise, if you are not ready for bizzare inadequacy in the delivery person or people, the only choice you will have is to deny the shipment and start all over, if you cannot help carry it or place it on the stand by yourself (which is not going to happen with the 65vt30).

But, how did it turn out? My 65vt30 is the most amazing picture I have ever seen (after running D-Nice's conditioning slides for 200 hours and then putting in his suggested custom settings).

There is a reason discount shippers give a discount . . . They do not hire rocket scientists or geometric engineers to do the grunt work of delivery. Some people have received amazing white glove service for Amazon purchased deliveries and others have horror stories with the very same company. Some people who paid for white glove delivery have horror stories; some people who got the delivery for free from Amazon have amazingly wonderful delivery stories.

Just plan for the worst and be grateful if you get the most competent professional delivery instead. But do not plan to get what you pay for, especially if it is free. It often turns out to be the worst $129 anyone ever pays.

After my Home Direct delivery, "Roll your own" has a whole new meaning in my head!

And, I sure would hate to be the person who bought my old "open box" unit I sent back. After seeing how they return a mildly defective unit on its return to be sold as open box, I will never buy an open box unit ever!

So, when it comes to a big screen tv Amazon purchase, get ready to roll your own!

Funny (in hindsight; I'm sure it wasn't at the time)... I agree delivery can be completely hit-and-miss.

An alternative solution is to just not get too invested in the delivery date and get impatient. If that guy had rolled up without the second person, the moment I saw him want to start ruling it end-over-end I would have officially declined the delivery, called Amazon and told them to get their act together and send someone better. Then I would have escalated to a manager just to be sure I got my message across, and probably gotten a free credit for my trouble, then waited for a new delivery date. If they blew it again, same, and more, escalating free credit. As long as you're patient, eventually you'll either get lucky or someone at Amazon or the delivery company will figure out it's costing them a lot and they have a squeaky wheel in me and they will take the trouble to make sure I get the real "white glove" service. In the mean time, I would keep effectively reducing the purchase price for my trouble. I can't tell you how much credit I have gotten from vendors and service providers over the years for my "trouble." I don't have to yell, just be doggedly persistent and insistent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 526 Old 03-25-2012, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
***ATTENTION ALL POTENTIAL FRY'S CUSTOMERS****

Today may be your lucky day. I have just added the 65VT30 to my cart twice, the 1st time under freight shipping, the 2nd under store pick up. The checkout price you ask?

$1599! A glitch in the website or the 1 day unadvertised sale of the year? Time will tell but here's the goods for those of you who don't have a FRY's account. No Promo codes just added it to the cart:

[IMG][/IMG]

UPDATE: DAMN! As of 2:45am pst even though the item is listed as available at local stores when you add the 65vt30 to your cart it just says the item is not available. May have been too good to be true. Will check back in the morning.
post #453 of 526 Old 03-25-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^

As of right now you can't even find it listed on their site, at any price. It neither showed up when browsing for results or when I did a direct product search.
post #454 of 526 Old 03-25-2012, 07:11 AM

Liked: 10
The item still exists in the database on the Frys site. The item number is 6629194. The proper search result comes back, but the contents of the entry have been suppressed. From the ad: One day sale, in-store only, some demo, some open. $1599
post #455 of 526 Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 AM

I don't see it in the Ad for Houston. Going to go validate in store
post #456 of 526 Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 AM

I just got off the phone with the Frys in Downers Grove. They have 1 unit available, and it is the demo. Who knows how long it's going to stick around.
post #457 of 526 Old 03-25-2012, 08:38 AM

Went to Frys in Southwest Houston. 1 in box was spoken for and 1 display unit. Price was 2600 so I passed
post #458 of 526 Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 AM

This is actually a One day sale, can this be price matched by Amazon?
post #459 of 526 Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 AM

I sure hope so
post #460 of 526 Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It's not in the DFW ad, biggest panel is a 60" LED.
post #461 of 526 Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 AM

Amazon refused to price match this deal at Frys for me. The cited the following in their terms and conditions for the "TV Low Price Guarantee":

6. Time-limited sales events (such as Black Friday, "early bird" or "door buster" offers ), offers advertised as limited in time or quantity, clearance, liquidation and going-out-of business sales, and loyalty program offers are also ineligible for the Guarantee.

It may depend on who you speak with, so please let us know if anyone happens to get them to honor a price match. The ad is available on the Frys website.
post #462 of 526 Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmcguir14 View Post

The item still exists in the database on the Frys site. The item number is 6629194. The proper search result comes back, but the contents of the entry have been suppressed. From the ad: One day sale, in-store only, some demo, some open. $1599

When I use this code to search on the frys.com site it says 1 item found but then the search results are blank and it doesn't have any product page to link to.
post #463 of 526 Old 03-25-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

When I use this code to search on the frys.com site it says 1 item found but then the search results are blank and it doesn't have any product page to link to.

My experience as well but as a previous poster mentioned, in the now published ad for the 1 day sale it does list the item #. That # does cross reference with the 65VT30 when you speak to a sales associate at FRY's for those of you trying to work a price match.

My attempts have not been successful thus far with Best Buy. They refuse to match the price on a 1 day sale even after speaking to the manager and offering to get the 4 year protection plan. Frustrating.
post #464 of 526 Old 03-26-2012, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The FRY's Downers Grove demo model didn't last long as I picked it up! It's a October 2011 build date and was installed in their theater room 3.5 months ago. It only have 700 hours on it and no burn in. Looks awesome mounted up on my wall!

The manager on duty forced me to bundle a sound bar with it to get the price, lame. Harman Kardon SB 16 - this is brand new. If anyone has need for this contact me. it's $599 retail. I wonder if I can return the sound bar, the receipt doesn't say I can't?
post #465 of 526 Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanb61 View Post

The FRY's Downers Grove demo model didn't last long as I picked it up! It's a October 2011 build date and was installed in their theater room 3.5 months ago. It only have 700 hours on it and no burn in. Looks awesome mounted up on my wall!

The manager on duty forced me to bundle a sound bar with it to get the price, lame. Harman Kardon SB 16 - this is brand new. If anyone has need for this contact me. it's $599 retail. I wonder if I can return the sound bar, the receipt doesn't say I can't?

I would be returning it ASAP.
post #466 of 526 Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

I would be returning it ASAP.

Yeah, I plan to try, I just emailed Fry's corporate over this issue. I'm awaiting a response from them.
post #467 of 526 Old 03-26-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I plan to try, I just emailed Fry's corporate over this issue. I'm awaiting a response from them.

I wouldn't bother with that. If it is a separate item on your receipt, there should not be a problem returning it. Making you buy something to get an advertised price is just plain wrong.
post #468 of 526 Old 03-26-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonip_15 View Post

Guys, I found a VT30 55 inch for $1499 at Best Buy, good deal or not? It's brand new and not a floor model. Thanks!

Depends on the size. 65"? SMOKING HOT DEAL. Smaller? Still not bad, but not nearly as smoking hot.
post #469 of 526 Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greater Malison View Post

***ATTENTION ALL POTENTIAL FRY'S CUSTOMERS****

Today may be your lucky day. I have just added the 65VT30 to my cart twice, the 1st time under freight shipping, the 2nd under store pick up. The checkout price you ask?

$1599! A glitch in the website or the 1 day unadvertised sale of the year? Time will tell but here's the goods for those of you who don't have a FRY's account. No Promo codes just added it to the cart:

[IMG][/IMG]

UPDATE: DAMN! As of 2:45am pst even though the item is listed as available at local stores when you add the 65vt30 to your cart it just says the item is not available. May have been too good to be true. Will check back in the morning.

Crud. I think I just passed the 30 days on my ST30, for nearly the same price. (still a good deal!) I'll have to double-check my receipts.

I would never buy a demo plasma from Frys, though. I've seen those sets used and abused WAY too hard to trust it. Perhaps with LCD, but something more sensitive like plasma, no way. Torch mode on crappy demo material (at best) or even BR menus for 12 hours per day? No thanks. Maybe someone would get lucky, but those aren't dive I'm comfortable rolling.
post #470 of 526 Old 03-26-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

This is an old Fry's tactic, I once bought another Panny from Fry's with a similar crazy deal. They basically forced me to buy cables and cleaner. I went back the next day and returned it, they put it back on my card.

They didn't go as far to say that they wouldn't sell me the TV if I didn't buy the other crap, but they really pressured me into buying the other junk.

This tactic is really odd - to hear that it's repeated in various Fry's makes me wonder if it's even legal.

Anyway - go back and return the HK SB 16.

Let us know what you hear from corporate. I'm wondering if I should also email them with my experience.

-JR
post #471 of 526 Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 AM

Just pulled the trigger on the 65vt30. I didn't get the price you guys are talking about. I ordered through ABT for $2426 brand new.
post #472 of 526 Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM

I have Prime so I ordered through Amazon 65gt30 for $1999
post #473 of 526 Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve w. View Post

Just pulled the trigger on the 65vt30. I didn't get the price you guys are talking about. I ordered through ABT for $2426 brand new.

Killer deal.... BB priced matched me at 2499 so I am not to worried...

Got the TV delivered today so I am going to start the slides and D-nice prep settings...
post #474 of 526 Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 PM

Congrats to all recent buyers of the VT30.. I've been using mine for about 6 weeks now and it is amazing!!!!!! Gets better after about 300 hrs...
post #475 of 526 Old 03-30-2012, 06:30 PM

I am also desperately looking for 65vt30 deals . I missed the one at frys $1599. Hope I get another one soon ...!!!
post #476 of 526 Old 03-30-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malini1979 View Post

I am also desperately looking for 65vt30 deals . I missed the one at frys $1599. Hope I get another one soon ...!!!

You're not likely to see that good a deal again, but you never know. Keep in mind that deal was in-store only and for most people was demo units and varied widely from store-to-store.

I only bring this up because if you have your heart set on this particular TV and hold out for a deal at or near that, you may end up out of luck when the inventories dry up soon. If you're not committed to this model, by all means wait it out and see what happens.
post #477 of 526 Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Tuesday Morning had it for 2499 BB price matched me

a ton of BB points and free delivery and setup and 36 months interest free
post #478 of 526 Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 PM

You are right "Citivas". I am kind off 50-50 between 55vt50 and 65vt30 ...!! Just want to see if vt50 is worth spending additional $$$$$ or I will buy vt30 itself. So far I have not seen any authentic reviews on vt50s except they are 30% brighter than the vt30s .
post #479 of 526 Old 03-30-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rahul View Post

Congrats to all recent buyers of the VT30.. I've been using mine for about 6 weeks now and it is amazing!!!!!! Gets better after about 300 hrs...

I am at a little over 48 hours burn in... cant wait to watch some tv on it monday
post #480 of 526 Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are right "Citivas". I am kind off 50-50 between 55vt50 and 65vt30 ...!! Just want to see if vt50 is worth spending additional $$$$$ or I will buy vt30 itself. So far I have not seen any authentic reviews on vt50s except they are 30% brighter than the vt30s .

To each their own, but my advice when deciding between bigger vs better with high-end TV's is always go for BIGGER. That's not necessarily true when comparing let's say the entry-level LCD against the top-line plasma. But between the VT30 and the VT50, while the VT50 is sounding very impressive in early tests and reviews, you will almost certainly not experience such a "wow" of a visual difference to justify such a huge sacrifice in screen size. And the difference between 55-66 is truly significant. I would, for example, if they were priced the same and I had hit my spending limit, even take a 65" ST30 over a 55" VT50. And then stop torturing yourself reading about "reference" quality black levels. Trust me, the ST30 is still excellent by the typical users standard, as are the 6500-8000 series Samsungs (as long as you aren't one of those prone to hearing the buzz badly).

Good luck in any event.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!