Panasonic TC-P60ST30 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 02-06-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So far so good regarding my 60ST30. I've ran the 100 hour panel aging process, inputted D-Nice's settings, updated the firmware to 2.200 and have watched a few Blu-Rays, DVDs and cable content. I do see some faint pink on the left and right side, however I see no green blob and have not experienced the FBr issue. The picture is very enjoyable, so much so that I've thought about getting a 55ST30 for downstairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloandsteady View Post

So far so good regarding my 60ST30. I've ran the 100 hour panel aging process, inputted D-Nice's settings, updated the firmware to 2.200 and have watched a few Blu-Rays, DVDs and cable content. I do see some faint pink on the left and right side, however I see no green blob and have not experienced the FBr issue. The picture is very enjoyable, so much so that I've thought about getting a 55ST30 for downstairs.

How noticeable is it.. something you have to look for and others dont notice ?
post #33 of 56 Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Present on all 2011 Pan Plasmas, at least from S up, but varies from set to set.
We've had 4 60" panels and ALL were impacted - 3 are returned, just began our 90-day Decision Period on the 4th.
Have also checked a number of other panels, including 4 50" S30s, and all of those had Green and/or Pink as well.

Green does tend to get better over time, but Pink tends to get worse.
YMMV.

Still hoping for the best with our latest: in most regards it is a wonderful set for the $$, and this one actually SEEMS to have less of a problem than the first 3 (although green & pink are still visible during some normal programming).
post #34 of 56 Old 02-06-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Present on all 2011 Pan Plasmas, at least from S up, but varies from set to set.
We've had 4 60" panels and ALL were impacted - 3 are returned, just began our 90-day Decision Period on the 4th.
Have also checked a number of other panels, including 4 50" S30s, and all of those had Green and/or Pink as well.

Green does tend to get better over time, but Pink tends to get worse.
YMMV.

Still hoping for the best with our latest: in most regards it is a wonderful set for the $$, and this one actually SEEMS to have less of a problem than the first 3 (although green & pink are still visible during some normal programming).

Do casual folks or guests notice? Ive seen 4 sets and first 3 I just thought the color tint was miscalibrated the 4th I noticed immediately.
post #35 of 56 Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFOOTBALL33 View Post

I would say your statement above is pretty accurate.
post #36 of 56 Old 02-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do casual folks or guests notice? Ive seen 4 sets and first 3 I just thought the color tint was miscalibrated the 4th I noticed immediately.

Sounds about right, although in our case - of the 4 60" Panels we've have In House - 2 were Immediately Visibly WRONG, while the other two looked pretty good OOTB, at least on "bright" program material.

Our current 60" ST30 - a Dec Build, FWIW - is easily the best of the 4 panels we've "owned," yet I can still find Green / Pink (Magenta) during normal content.

But I am also now "Sensitized" to the problems: I would be willing to bet that if we found 10 friends who were otherwise NOT aware of the Green / Magenta issues, used this newest set, AND chose the "Correct" program material (say a Mostly Bright Blu-ray movie), that probably no more than 1 of them would think that there was any "problem" with the color of the set. And would not be shocked if we managed to "fool" all 10 of them.

HOWEVER, would also be willing to bet that I could take the same 10 people, still unaware of color issue, and BY SELECTING THE "WRONG" MOVIE, the Majority of them would see Green and/or Pink - but that most of them, even then, would not consider it a Flaw of the Panel.

So how critical of a viewer are you? How much of your viewing is "difficult" material? (B&W movies; movies with fog, mist, medium-dark clouds, light- to medium-gray scenes, shadowy beige or dirty snow....)

Beyond that, it is luck of the draw.

Example: could not resist picking up a copy of the Ext Ed of LOTR, on Blu-ray. Already own it on SD DVD, but at 60" screen size & 9 ft viewing distance, the Flaws of Upconversion make themselves all too evident.

Skimmed through the two main "Fellowship" disks - always like to test a new DVD upon buying - and found the PQ EXCELLENT & the sound even better than remembered. Perhaps a bit of unwanted color in some of the scenes checked, but nothing OBVIOUS - that is, even I would want a Reference to check against to be certain whether "flaw" really existed in the panel, or was simply part of the program.

Then came the Crossing the River Pursued by the Nine Riders Scene: when the river became a torrent that crashed down on the Riders, the water / mist was the Right Shade & seemed to reveal the hidden green / magenta inherent in the panel.

Again, MOST PEOPLE probably would not have noticed - or would have assumed Green/Pink were simply part of the scene. And, again, I would PREFER to check that scene against our older Plasmas (50" & 42", both Pans) before Definitely Declaring it a "Perfect Example" of Green Blobs / Magenta Tint.
Have read a review of the Blu-ray set that claimed a Green Hue was present ON THE DISKS, in certain scenes - and must admit that I have THOUGHT I saw Green/Pink that was being added by a panel, only to discover - upon comparison with one of our other sets - that the miss-colorization was inherent in the programming.....

Perplexing Problem, then, on a number of levels.
Unfortunately, once you "see" Green Blobs and/or Pink/Magenta Tint, you do tend to SEE THEM better than other viewers will....

Beyond this false-color flaw, the 60" ST30s seem to provide a remarkable value given current pricing.... (Although see that prices have fluctuated wildly of late!)
post #37 of 56 Old 02-07-2012, 04:28 PM

Does anyone know if the Costco 3yr extended warranty is pro-rated like Best Buy does or if they can't fix it you get full price that you originally paid?
post #38 of 56 Old 02-10-2012, 10:03 AM

I would also like to know about the Costco warranty. Considering this set...
post #39 of 56 Old 02-11-2012, 07:01 PM

Liked: 11
Can you order one of these on Costco website also?
post #40 of 56 Old 02-12-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmeng View Post

Can you order one of these on Costco website also?

That's what I did. $50 shipping but saved me from renting or borrowing a truck and breaking my back. Plus they charge a little less sales tax, so it was almost a wash. It came undamaged as well. You get the bronze service which is to your home entrance only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #41 of 56 Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwhite View Post

Does anyone know if the Costco 3yr extended warranty is pro-rated like Best Buy does or if they can't fix it you get full price that you originally paid?

It's a Square Trade warranty so you might have to read up on their website if nobody else can answer.
post #42 of 56 Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 PM

The deal is no longer available on Costco.com. I hope the Panasonic tech guy I spoke with was right about the ST50 (I can't wait to pick one up--single pane, 2,500 focused field drive, 8 speakers, ininite black pro panel, web browser and more!!!). He said based on the specs the ST50 should have a better picture than the VT30 (they don't have any ST50s for the techs to check out yet). Can't wait for one of the AVSForum gurus to get their hands on one so us regular folks know what to do!!!!
post #43 of 56 Old 02-25-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerdaddynj View Post

The deal is no longer available on Costco.com. I hope the Panasonic tech guy I spoke with was right about the ST50 (I can't wait to pick one up--single pane, 2,500 focused field drive, 8 speakers, ininite black pro panel, web browser and more!!!). He said based on the specs the ST50 should have a better picture than the VT30 (they don't have any ST50s for the techs to check out yet). Can't wait for one of the AVSForum gurus to get their hands on one so us regular folks know what to do!!!!

I still see it on costco.com. They have 51 left.
post #44 of 56 Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissonance79 View Post

I still see it on costco.com. They have 51 left.

Sorry for the misinformation!!!! I've been accessing the Costco TVs through the link on their home page entitled "Top Selling TVs" which has 16 TVs listed andthe 60" ST30 isn't amongst them any longer (as inventory dwindles I guess it's no longer a "top seller"--shows you Costco is honest in advertising). I hope they maintain an inventory until one of the forum's experts gets their hands on an ST50. Sorry for jumping the gun, folks!
post #45 of 56 Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 AM

It looks like just 4 units left at Costco.
post #46 of 56 Old 02-28-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Where are you guys seeing these on Costco.com? When I go there they don't list ANY Panasonic TV's in the 46" and larger size. They have all the other major brands but not Panasonic.

You can also try to browse by brand and they list Panasonic but then when you click it the page shows an empty search result.
post #47 of 56 Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Where are you guys seeing these on Costco.com? When I go there they don't list ANY Panasonic TV's in the 46" and larger size. They have all the other major brands but not Panasonic.

You can also try to browse by brand and they list Panasonic but then when you click it the page shows an empty search result.

Two days ago I stated that there were 4 left. Those were gone shortly after.
post #48 of 56 Old 02-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Picked one up a few weeks ago at Costco, July 2011 build, latest firmware update.

To check your firmware update go here:

http://content.meridinet.com/pub/Pan...RM-INSTALL.pdf

Outstanding TV...especially for $1,200. DVD's on this TV look better than BluRays did on my old Mitsubishi 55315 RPHDTV which had been professionally calibrated twice over its lifespan. BluRays are out of this world.

I used the picture setting from this link:

http://3d-tvbuyingguide.com/panasoni...p2.html#picset

An added bonus is that my room looks much larger with the svelte Plasma vs. the old RPHDTV monster it replaced.

No HDMI handshake issues whatsoever with my Denon AVR1912 which my old TV refused to talk to for more than a few days via HDMI.

Couldn't be happier, no screen anomalies whatsoever thus far.
post #49 of 56 Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 PM

The 60" ST30's at Costco have sold out online. If anyone knows of a MI store with one message me so I can pick it up! It appears each store got six, I waited and now they are gone.
post #50 of 56 Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The 60" ST30's at Costco have sold out online. If anyone knows of a MI store with one message me so I can pick it up! It appears each store got six, I waited and now they are gone.

You don't mention where you live, or whether you have called any of the CostCo stores, but - if I were looking - would try the Haggerty Rd store in Livonia first, then the Middlebelt Rd store.

Both stores have had stock within the past couple of weeks, and at least one of them had the 65" ST34 (Costco's model number....)

Good Luck!
post #51 of 56 Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just plugged in D-Nice's settings...first impressions are it's significantly dimmer than the Plasma TV Buying Guide settings I've had for the first few hundred hours but I'll keep them for a few days and see which is prefer.

Here are his settings from post #2 in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1371710

Picture
Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 78
Brightness: 54
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
Photo Enhancement: Off
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Pro Settings
Colorspace: Normal

W/B High R: +10
W/B High G: 0
W/B High B: +10
W/B Low R: +2
W/B Low G: 0
W/B Low B: -8

Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.2
Panel Brightness: Low
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

HDMI Settings
***Leave all settings in this menu at their default***

Advance Picture
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 PullDown: Auto

EDIT: Went back to Plasma TV Buying Guide settings; D-Nice's setting way too dim.
post #52 of 56 Old 02-29-2012, 04:33 PM

Right this second Costco shows having 1 unit in stock. Hurry if you want it.
post #53 of 56 Old 02-29-2012, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow I was checking out when it was snatched right from under me. Anybody know of any Sacramento CA area costcos with one?
post #54 of 56 Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 AM

I was able to get the final unit from Glen Burnie,MD Costco. They still have the display unit which one might be able to get for a discount. Most of the store have run out of this item. It is still available in West Springfield, MA, Yonkers NY (4 units) and couple of other locations in NY (Holbrook,Rochester). If any one needs this item, I suggest that they call costco and have them check for Item no 860300.
post #55 of 56 Old 03-01-2012, 01:30 PM

A week ago, a Costco store an hour away from me had a display model. They said it had been up for a month and it was $1,000. I ended up buying one new from Costco online.
post #56 of 56 Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 PM

gundam83 you could try calling Woodland. My buddy grabbed one there the other day and there were three left. Call them first of course.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page