60S30 Price Alert - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-29-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a 60S30 last week at BB for $1099, it was delivered yesterday. Today in their weekly flyer it was priced at $999. So I go to get my difference and the young lad at the counter scans in my receipt info and says it's actually $899. He refunded me the $200. In addition the Monster Power Filter center I paid $279 for was also marked down to $239.

So for 30 minutes of my time I was refunded almost $260 on my purchase.

$899 for a 1080P Panasonic 60" Plasma has to be one of the best buy around. I'm in the process of setting it up in my Man Cave and after applying some picture calibrations I found in this thread and allowing to run for a few days I should be a happy camper.

So far this is as far as I've gotten

My Marantz 2285B circa 1978 is in the shop being refurbed and I need a Optical to analog (RCA jacks) converter to get the audio portion of my system up and running.

Just thought I'd pass on the current pricing on this tv.

Cheers

Tom
USAF Retired

BTW: That's not an HD picture, just the feed direct from the cable jack into the TV tuner. BluRay DVD's look spectacular
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-29-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafret View Post

I bought a 60S30 last week at BB for $1099, it was delivered yesterday. Today in their weekly flyer it was priced at $999. So I go to get my difference and the young lad at the counter scans in my receipt info and says it's actually $899. He refunded me the $200. In addition the Monster Power Filter center I paid $279 for was also marked down to $239.

So for 30 minutes of my time I was refunded almost $260 on my purchase.

$899 for a 1080P Panasonic 60" Plasma has to be one of the best buy around. I'm in the process of setting it up in my Man Cave and after applying some picture calibrations I found in this thread and allowing to run for a few days I should be a happy camper.

So far this is as far as I've gotten

My Marantz 2285B circa 1978 is in the shop being refurbed and I need a Optical to analog (RCA jacks) converter to get the audio portion of my system up and running.

Just thought I'd pass on the current pricing on this tv.

Cheers

Tom
USAF Retired

BTW: That's not an HD picture, just the feed direct from the cable jack into the TV tuner. BluRay DVD's look spectacular

Thanks for the heads up Tom. BB's prices aren't always that competitive, but every now and then they have a sale that can't be beat, Enjoy your new TV. BTW, are those speakers vintage Bose 901's I see?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 20 Old 01-29-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

BTW, are those speakers vintage Bose 901's I see
Ian

yup circa 1988. The first set of 901's I bought in 1972 were given to my son who still has them.

But myMarantz 2285B is my pride and joy. It was one of the last Made InThe USA Marantz receivers made.

Tom
post #4 of 20 Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Usafret-- I don't want to be the bastard on this forum who's always ruining a good time but I have to ask this question: is your display affected by the green "blobs" / green tinge issue? So far stocks from costco and amazon are affected and my father just brought ANOTHER panel home from Walmart of all places and all exhibit the issue. I'm going to take my SD card loaded with frames up to BB tomorrow and test some of the floor models. Best buy hasn't been receptive to checking their inventory-- while Costco gave me permission to check theirs. We'll see but I'm curious if another retailer might have a different batch...

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #5 of 20 Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 PM

so are you saying if I buy one from Amazon its gonna be messed up? thanks
post #6 of 20 Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Usafret-- I don't want to be the bastard on this forum who's always ruining a good time but I have to ask this question: is your display affected by the green "blobs" / green tinge issue? So far stocks from costco and amazon are affected and my father just brought ANOTHER panel home from Walmart of all places and all exhibit the issue. I'm going to take my SD card loaded with frames up to BB tomorrow and test some of the floor models. Best buy hasn't been receptive to checking their inventory-- while Costco gave me permission to check theirs. We'll see but I'm curious if another retailer might have a different batch...

Nope, it's been running non stop (going on 40 hours now as part of my break-in) w/o a problem and after all the sky is falling comments from a few AVS members I've paying close attention to any FLAW.

So far my S30 has been FLAWLESS. My suggestion to you will be to avoid buying the $899 Panny S30 and buy a more expensive model. That seems to be where your heart is.

Tom
post #7 of 20 Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafret View Post

Nope, it's been running non stop (going on 40 hours now as part of my break-in) w/o a problem and after all the sky is falling comments from a few AVS members I've paying close attention to any FLAW.

So far my S30 has been FLAWLESS. My suggestion to you will be to avoid buying the $899 Panny S30 and buy a more expensive model. That seems to be where your heart is.

Tom

The problem is I've personally witnessed this issue on S, ST, GT and now a VT floor display at my local BB. Most disturbing is this is suppose to go away with age but the salesman said that floor display has been out for MONTHS. The floor manager at Costco actually acknowledged the issue and basically put it like this: 'why do you think Panasonic sells for so cheap?'

Perhaps I'm just sensitive to it but I don't know how I could be. Sure, it's faint and shows up most notably under the warm color temps... But watch any ice hockey and it's clear as day. Purposefully didn't mention it to the little lady and she still observed: "why is the ice in the middle of the rink green."

I'd go ahead and purchase another model but what to buy? Samsung lags, LG is behind the PQ curve and edge lit LCD is god-awful terrible. At this point I could wait for the 55" Panasonic lcds set to release next year but if Panasonic can't make a plasma right then how well will they handle large LCD-- a segment they're new to?

--Carl Sagan
post #8 of 20 Old 01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem is I've personally witnessed this issue on S, ST, GT and now a VT floor display at my local BB. Most disturbing is this is suppose to go away with age but the salesman said that floor display has been out for MONTHS. The floor manager at Costco actually acknowledged the issue and basically put it like this: 'why do you think Panasonic sells for so cheap?'

Perhaps I'm just sensitive to it but I don't know how I could be. Sure, it's faint and shows up most notably under the warm color temps... But watch any ice hockey and it's clear as day. Purposefully didn't mention it to the little lady and she still observed: "why is the ice in the middle of the rink green."

I'd go ahead and purchase another model but what to buy? Samsung lags, LG is behind the PQ curve and edge lit LCD is god-awful terrible. At this point I could wait for the 55" Panasonic lcds set to release next year but if Panasonic can't make a plasma right then how well will they handle large LCD-- a segment they're new to?

Don't laugh, but now I know why I'm so happy with my C2. Yes it took some time calibrating it properly, and it may not have the deepest blacks or the best color accuracy, but it has no FB, green blobs or floating backs, that I can see.

Ian

post #9 of 20 Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Your reply has written off all Panasonic Plasma's and now their LCD's. So one has to wonder why you even continue to shop the Panasonic brand. I'm sure you'll be happy with any other brand of TV you buy as long as it's not a Panasonic.

Good luck in your hunt for the perfect TV.

Tom
post #10 of 20 Old 01-30-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Buddy, I asked you a question. No need for the attitude. After all my exchanging / inspecting stock this is what I got:

Attachment 235830

And that's the 'good' one. Yep-- I'm obviously being to picky.

I like the set OTHER than this. It says in my manual: "free of defect"... Well what do you call that? I've got panny coming out this week. Thanks for all the fish.
LL

--Carl Sagan
post #11 of 20 Old 01-31-2012, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Never had a problem with the s30 I got for my gramps...got it from costco. Take a pic of the green thing when you watch content. I want to see how that looks

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #12 of 20 Old 01-31-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll be at work-- here are some pics I posted of my previous set. No offense but as bad as this looks I'm guessing around 75%+ users on this forum wouldn't notice it until they went to calibrate/setup.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

--Carl Sagan
post #13 of 20 Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Here are some pics I posted of my previous set. No offense but as bad as this looks I'm guessing around 75%+ users on this forum wouldn't notice it until they went to calibrate/setup.

Thank you, sage11x, for posting clear pics of the green blob problem. It will now give others an example of what to look for, and is appreciated.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #14 of 20 Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

No offense but as bad as this looks I'm guessing around 75%+ users on this forum wouldn't notice it until they went to calibrate/setup.

...and the same 75%+ wouldn't care?
post #15 of 20 Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I'll be at work-- here are some pics I posted of my previous set. No offense but as bad as this looks I'm guessing around 75%+ users on this forum wouldn't notice it until they went to calibrate/setup.

I guess I don't know what I'm looking for. I looked at all those pics, but I don't see anything wrong.

I'm curious, because I just bought this TV from amazon this morning.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
this dropped to $899 on Amazon late last night, pretty nice price with no tax/ship, went back up sometime this morning. I had considered it but was holding out for the 60" ST30 or GT30. I'm waiting to see how the prices start looking when the next wave of models hits retail.

Maybe the green blob/pink tint issue will be resolved with the new models. I have read that the green blobs normally get better with age on the panel, but the pink tint I have heard the opposite. Maybe as the green subsidzes, the pink takes over that area.

@honda you can't see the giant green area in the first pic sage posted surrounded by the thick border of pink tint? It's not as obvious during the content shots but I'm sure you'll see it in-person if you were running slides for break-in. It's a shame but I think these probs are on all Panny models with varied severity, but some just don't notice or it doesn't bother them.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-31-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaciv View Post

I guess I don't know what I'm looking for. I looked at all those pics, but I don't see anything wrong.

I'm curious, because I just bought this TV from amazon this morning.

Scan your eyes across the bottom or top of the picture, back and forth. Notice how the grass is a different color towards the middle than te edges? Green in the middle, pink at the edges. The green is also evident in faramir's stubble. The most damning pic (IMO) is the last one of faramir on the horse-- the wall behind him is white/grey but it's anything but on my set!

Now my new set has been running since Sunday non-stop and it is less noticeable... However, unlike my first set the edges seem to be getting pinker with time. It's not clear to me if the pink is more a problem of it's own or more the result of contrast with the green-- my fathers 60"ST (one model up) had pink so bad he had no choice but to return the set. Either way I'm trying to find time to get a tech out (my schedule has changed a bit for the coming weeks). I'll let you know what I learn...

--Carl Sagan
post #18 of 20 Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Thank you, sage11x, for posting clear pics of the green blob problem. It will now give others an example of what to look for, and is appreciated.

I almost feel bad for doing it! This is one case where ignorance is bliss! I'm no eagle eye but I've been a member and an enthusiast for some time and to me it's more: "how can you NOT see it?" lol! But I understand that different people have different tolerances for these things. Still, this is an audio video science forum and I think that this problem needs to be addressed! Note: you don't hear me complaining about this sets messed up greyscale or the intense false contouring it causes in dark scenes or it's slight red push as these are all flaws I'd EXPECT in a budget model! I do not expect green blobs at any price! Example: if my phone had green blobs I'd be taking it back to the cellular store!

--Carl Sagan
post #19 of 20 Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like a pink and green rainbow to me! Get a new TV.

Ian

post #20 of 20 Old 02-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Wow that reminds me of the pink hue problems with the 2008 Samsung plasmas. I took back 2 of them with the issue, and a buddy of my mine still owns his with pink all over the screen. Display models mostly exhibited the issue too. It was bad.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page