Panasonic TC-P55ST30 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 50 Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Member
 
RascalMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got mine delivered.....

So much for the white glove treatment. Only one delivery guy, so I had to help... he could have cared less about unboxing/testing. Oh well.

I did a quick check of it and MAN is she a thing of beauty. Now I just need to look more into whether or not I really wanna bother with running the slides.... etc to calibrate it that I am reading so much about.

Anyone have any experience doing the calibrations on this set?
RascalMJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Newbie
 
DrBeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The squaretrade warrenty is $10 cheaper if you buy it through their official website rather than amazon.
DrBeer is offline  
post #33 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
YardleyBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just took the plunge and bought one from Target. I happened to come across one only 20 miles from me.

(There is also one in Delran, NJ, if anyone is in these parts.)

I was nervous about plasma, and nervous about buying from Target, and just nervous in general, but I finally just did it.

Can't wait to get it home and start playing with it. Seems like people LOVE this set.
YardleyBill is offline  
post #34 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Member
 
RascalMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyBill View Post

I just took the plunge and bought one from Target. I happened to come across one only 20 miles from me.

(There is also one in Delran, NJ, if anyone is in these parts.)

I was nervous about plasma, and nervous about buying from Target, and just nervous in general, but I finally just did it.

Can't wait to get it home and start playing with it. Seems like people LOVE this set.

hhaha, same here...

I am gonna put it through the ringers and see what happens. I got mine from amazon so we'll see about that too
RascalMJ is offline  
post #35 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
 
YardleyBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was going to do Amazon, but the $100 swayed me. Assuming I can return it to Target with no issue.

I spoke with a bunch of people I know with plasma, none of whom baby their TVs. None of them had image retention for very long, and every one of them said they loved their plasma and would buy another in a second.

So, we shall see...

Now off to the topics to see how to set it up out of the box...
YardleyBill is offline  
post #36 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Member
 
RascalMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyBill View Post

I was going to do Amazon, but the $100 swayed me. Assuming I can return it to Target with no issue.

I spoke with a bunch of people I know with plasma, none of whom baby their TVs. None of them had image retention for very long, and every one of them said they loved their plasma and would buy another in a second.

So, we shall see...

Now off to the topics to see how to set it up out of the box...

haha, yeah, I had 5% cashback from Chase (from Amazon), so it helped me a little more to go with Amazon. I liked the price guarantee too.

Awesome to hear about the friends of yours....etc

DUDE, PLEASE tell me what you find and "include" links if you can. I am kinda freakin' out about starting this process (hopefully tonight when my boys go down)
RascalMJ is offline  
post #37 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
 
YardleyBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMJ View Post

DUDE, PLEASE tell me what you find and "include" links if you can. I am kinda freakin' out about starting this process (hopefully tonight when my boys go down)

OK.

There are a ton of threads on this set. I've even seen the settings on this site referenced in other forums, like slickdealz.

Hopefully someone might see this and post some tips for us before I start going back over all the threads. But if not, I will report what I find.

My main things to look for are...

1. What to set the contrast at out of the box, and what torch modes to stay away from.

2. What to look for to ensure I do not have the problems that plagued this site in the early production months.

3. What settings to set for optimal picture.

In all my research I came across all this stuff ... now I just have to go back and find it!
YardleyBill is offline  
post #38 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Member
 
RascalMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyBill View Post

OK.

There are a ton of threads on this set. I've even seen the settings on this site referenced in other forums, like slickdealz.

Hopefully someone might see this and post some tips for us before I start going back over all the threads. But if not, I will report what I find.

My main things to look for are...

1. What to set the contrast at out of the box, and what torch modes to stay away from.

2. What to look for to ensure I do not have the problems that plagued this site in the early production months.

3. What settings to set for optimal picture.

In all my research I came across all this stuff ... now I just have to go back and find it!

Yeah, that is what I mean... there is almost TOO much info! haha

My head is swimming just thinking about getting started. ha
RascalMJ is offline  
post #39 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Member
 
RascalMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMJ View Post

Yeah, that is what I mean... there is almost TOO much info! haha

My head is swimming just thinking about getting started. ha

I couldn't wait anymore..... I even lifted the thing up and put it on the stand myself. haha

Currently a half hour in on running the slides and settings from D-Nice (can't post the link)

found this one though......

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1371710
RascalMJ is offline  
post #40 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
YardleyBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah putting it on the stand was not easy.
YardleyBill is offline  
post #41 of 50 Old 03-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Newbie
 
DrBeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyBill View Post

Yeah putting it on the stand was not easy.

It's probably a stupid question, but can you move one of these TVs around by yourself or do you need 2 people?
DrBeer is offline  
post #42 of 50 Old 03-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Member
 
sagecounsel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteconcept View Post


Great. glad someone was able to get use from the photo

Worked for me too
Thanks elite!
sagecounsel is offline  
post #43 of 50 Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Senior Member
 
YardleyBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBeer View Post

It's probably a stupid question, but can you move one of these TVs around by yourself or do you need 2 people?

Well, I had to have the better half help me to get it on the posts.

I guess I could have theoretically done it myself, but considering I didn't want to damage it, I really wanted the extra help.

It's 80--90 pounds, and really big!
YardleyBill is offline  
post #44 of 50 Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Newbie
 
laoping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got mine from Amazon on Monday, but was not ready for it till today.. So I today I opened it today.. and good times.. the screen is very broken. Back to amazon... but they are all out there, so no replacement for me.
laoping is offline  
post #45 of 50 Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Citivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by laoping View Post

I got mine from Amazon on Monday, but was not ready for it till today.. So I today I opened it today.. and good times.. the screen is very broken. Back to amazon... but they are all out there, so no replacement for me.

White Glove usually means taking it out of the box for you and setting it up so you can test it. No point in white glove it it stayed in the box. I had TV's delivered to my house a couple times where I wasn't ready to set it up, but I always had them bring it out anyway and I'd take an old DVD player and plug it in just to test the screen before accepting delivery.
Citivas is online now  
post #46 of 50 Old 03-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Member
 
corpgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I got the last one from the local target. It's a 1205 serial number, though and may not have the patch applied. It says November arrival, though. I got it for $854 with the 5% off from the target debit card. Way too good of a deal to pass up.
corpgator is offline  
post #47 of 50 Old 03-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Newbie
 
DrBeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got one from sears for $999, had to pay tax but oh well. It's a July build but I checked the codes and it's got the fbr fix and everything seems to be working on it so I'm quite happy. If anyone is thinking about getting one of these you'd better hurry up because they're selling out everywhere quickly.
DrBeer is offline  
post #48 of 50 Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Newbie
 
laoping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This was my first from amazon tv.. .I should have known better.. Anyway question related to all of this.

Amazon no longer has the ST30.. but they have said they would give me a ~$100 credit to a different TV because they can no exchange the ST30.. They have the Panasonic VIERA TC-P55GT30 for 1300.. Sears about 45 min away still has the ST 30, but I don't have a car big enough to get the tv myself, and I have to pay tax.. So if I get $100 off the 1300 for the GT30, is that a good deal? Or should I get a buddy that has a bigger car and pay the 1,060 with tax for the ST30?
laoping is offline  
post #49 of 50 Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Eastern, PA.
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$1200 for the 55GT30 isnt bad. But then I'd ask for 200 off the St50 and call it a day.
Ghoul is offline  
post #50 of 50 Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
par4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoul View Post

$1200 for the 55GT30 isnt bad. But then I'd ask for 200 off the St50 and call it a day.

Yes, a very good day!
par4 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off