Panasonic TC-P65GT30 @BB - $1999.00 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-11-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to wait for GT50... but how much will the street price be for it? I don't want to spend $3k+ that's for sure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM

I have this tv and got it from bb. I don't think that there will be a huge difference in the 30 and 50 so I went with the 65gt30 for $2k. When the 65gt30 1st came out the retail was around $3,600, but it sounds like they were overproduced hence the low prices now...

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I was at our BB yesterday late afternoon and they were not honoring this price. They don't even have a floor model anymore and were just taking orders, but at a much higher price.

With the exception of the actual floor displays, none of their 2011 inventory for the larger sets was selling at anything like a decent price, mostly they were MSRP. And they weren't negotiating. They were missing a lot of the models too, having already sold out including he floor model. Lots of empty slots in the Magnolia section where TV's should be. They still at a VT30 at MSRP, but non D7000, no D8000, no GT30, no 70" Sharps (though they did have the 80" at MSRP), etc.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 04:32 PM

I brought a printout from their website showing the 1999 price, I don't know if that made a difference or not.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Don't see why they wouldn't honor the price, I can put in the cart right now and buy it, plus I get one store at ~50 miles out that says 'pickup - in stock' for today, all others say 'ship to store'... this is really tempting

How long does it take for the retail prices to drop if the GT50 comes out in May? .... July??? argh
post #6 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I brought a printout from their website showing the 1999 price, I don't know if that made a difference or not.

I pointed that out and it didn't make a difference where I was. But I was not truly trying to close the deal on this model anyway. And the stores in my area have always notoriously been unwilling to even "price" match the local B&M competition even when you have an ad proving the price and it is in stock, despite BB policy (the managers say they have local discretion to disregard the policy). This is NJ after all so their attitude is kind of screw you, buy or take a hike.

But I could probably get Amazon to match the price since it's online.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

I pointed that out and it didn't make a difference where I was. But I was not truly trying to close the deal on this model anyway. And the stores in my area have always notoriously been unwilling to even "price" match the local B&M competition even when you have an ad proving the price and it is in stock, despite BB policy (the managers say they have local discretion to disregard the policy). This is NJ after all so their attitude is kind of screw you, buy or take a hike.

But I could probably get Amazon to match the price since it's online.

Wow!! That really sucks they would act like that. I've never had a problem with BB matching their own website. I even thought it was in their price match policy to match their website prices. It seems that this is not the first time this has happened to you. Have you ever tried to contacting BB customer service about this particular BB? I know you really didn't want the TV but if it was me I would have escalated it (i.e. store mgr, customer service) until they finally matched it, then I would have been like I don't want it anymore. Just for the principle of it.

Just looked at their price match guarantee. It's in the first line that they match Bestbuy.com

Quote:

Buy It Now with Confidence
Best Buy will match the price if you find a lower price on an identical available product at a local retail competitor's store, a local Best Buy retail store or BestBuy.com.

post #8 of 8 Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboy207 View Post

Wow!! That really sucks they would act like that. I've never had a problem with BB matching their own website. I even thought it was in their price match policy to match their website prices. It seems that this is not the first time this has happened to you. Have you ever tried to contacting BB customer service about this particular BB? I know you really didn't want the TV but if it was me I would have escalated it (i.e. store mgr, customer service) until they finally matched it, then I would have been like I don't want it anymore. Just for the principle of it.

Just looked at their price match guarantee. It's in the first line that they match Bestbuy.com

I didn't bother this time. About 3.75 years ago, when I was last shopping for a large plasma, I did try to escalate it with Best buy corporate. I did a few emails and I got back responses that basically said that they support their store managers who have individual discretion.

Honestly what bothers me even worse, and I know from reading other people's stories online as well as my own experience that this is common, is how different one Best Buy is from another. I recall back in 2009 that I was reading, here at this forum among other places, the specific deal terms others were getting at Best buy on the Pioneer Kuro. One guy was even nice enough to send me a photocopy of his physical receipt from BB, the name and phone # of the store manager who sold it to him, etc. Despite all this, the several BB's in my area refused to get lower than $900 more than what he (and others got).

In an age when everyone can see and compare prices online, and buy online, the idea that there would be so little effort to match their own B&M prices was truly annoying. It basically sends the message that they don't give a $#@! about their customers at my local stores.

In general I find that attitude here in NJ. I used to live in CA years ago and the level of customer service and dealmaking was so much better. To pick a different example, I have spent a ton of money at the Apple Store on products for my whole household. Yet whenever anything has gone wrong they are totally not helpful here in NJ. I had a wireless keyboard that stopped working 2 weeks after Applecare expired and their solution was to suggest I pay full MSRP for a new one, not even offering a slight discount. When an old iPod was bricked by Apple forcing a software update on it, same thing - buy a new one and here's $5 off (seriously, that was their best offer). By comparison I have 2 friends who live in CA, neither of which have spent a fraction as much on Apple as I have, who both destroyed their iPhone's due to user negligence (one of them left it roof of his car and proceeded onto the Freeway where it flew off at 70 MPH). Yet the Apple Store there gave each of them brand new phones at no cost. All because it was manager discretion and the attitude in CA was that much better than fergetaboutit NJ.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt30 65 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page