Panasonic TC P65VT50 - Macmall Preorder Deal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just started this thread so that we don't derail the other main thread with this deal. I just had this chat with them:

Quote:

Me: [5:11:46 AM] I am interested in the Panasonic TC P65VT50 on your site. When does it expect to ship? And are you an "Authorized Panasonic Dealer"?
roserwinh@macmall.com: [5:14:00 AM] Pre-order, minimum 2-3weeks.
Me: [5:14:23 AM] ok, thanks. Are you guys an "authorized panasonic dealer?"
roserwinh@macmall.com: [5:15:28 AM] We sell them, but not authorized.
Mike: [5:15:58 AM] ok. if I have any issues with the TV, how does the return policy work on an item this large/expensive?
roserwinh@macmall.com: [5:19:03 AM] Its covered by the warranty, unless dmaaged by carrier in transit.
Me: [5:19:41 AM] are returns possible?
roserwinh@macmall.com: [5:20:14 AM] if its damage in transit yes.
Me: [5:20:33 AM] but otherwise not?
roserwinh@macmall.com: [5:23:21 AM] Yes.
Mike: [5:24:31 AM] ok, one last question-since it's a preorder, can I cancel anytime before it ships?
roserwinh@macmall.com: [5:25:08 AM] yes, you can.
Me: [5:25:24 AM] ok, thanks for your help

In summary:

-You can't return the product (unless the shipper damaged it).
-They are not an "Authorized Panasonic Dealer".
-They claim it's still covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
-Minimum delay to ship will be 2-3 weeks.

Myyoda posted this in the main thread:

Quote:

When you buy from an Authorized Panasonic Retailer, you can be assured that…

...the Retailer is properly trained, so that they can provide the correct answers to your questions
...In many cases, the Retailer can provide assistance to you with the proper setup of your Panasonic purchase
...Authorized Retailers stay informed regarding new technologies, so they can provide information on the latest Panasonic products
...Authorized Retailers have demonstrated a commitment to outstanding customer service and support
...Authorized Retailers can directly contact Panasonic employees, including product managers and customer service team members
...Authorized Retailers receive ongoing product and sales training, ensuring that your purchasing experience is consistently outstanding
...Authorized Retailers have the latest information regarding Panasonic promotions and special offers
...Authorized Retailers will also have access to official accessories for your Panasonic products
...Authorized Retailers only sell factory-fresh Panasonic products with original, unaltered serial numbers
...the full benefits of Panasonic’s limited product warranties will be in effect

The only one that matters to me is the last one:

Quote:

...the full benefits of Panasonic’s limited product warranties will be in effect

What does "full benefits" mean??

Has anyone purchased a TV from MacMall before? This deal seems almost worth the risk, but I'm on the fence. I DID put in an order, but I can cancel at anytime. I should have at least 2-3 weeks to ponder

MSRP: ~$3700
Macmall Preorder: ~$2,729.99 + $149.99 shipping = $2879.98 total.

It's interesting to note that this is roughly the price of what the 65" VT30 is going for now.

Any thoughts? First-hand experiences with deals like this (somewhat shady) are most welcome.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm wondering if you can buy a Square Trade Warranty to cover this set if purchased from Macmall?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Liked: 10
I know you can through Costco if you're a member. They seem to have the best prices. Sure you can probably buy one through other vendors too. Good luck with the set. Let us know how the VT50 is!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerdaddynj View Post

I know you can through Costco if you're a member. They seem to have the best prices. Sure you can probably buy one through other vendors too. Good luck with the set. Let us know how the VT50 is!!!

I'm starting to get cold feet. I've been reading a lot of negatives on macmall- might not even be worth the ~$1000 in savings.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Old 03-20-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

I'm starting to get cold feet. I've been reading a lot of negatives on macmall- might not even be worth the ~$1000 in savings.

Macmall has been in business for more than 20 years. I'm not saying "buy your plasma there", but I find them a reputable retailer for a long time.

They aren't some fly-by-night outfit, they aren't like one of those sleazy Brooklyn dealers (and I grew up in Brooklyn so I know from those), they are a legitimate discount retailer.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 03-20-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Macmall has been in business for more than 20 years. I'm not saying "buy your plasma there", but I find them a reputable retailer for a long time.

They aren't some fly-by-night outfit, they aren't like one of those sleazy Brooklyn dealers (and I grew up in Brooklyn so I know from those), they are a legitimate discount retailer.

Thanks Rogo. I'm probably going to hold off on canceling for a while at least. If Amazon comes out with a deal that is within ~$300 or so before it ships, then I'm going to bail. Otherwise, we'll see what happens

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Old 03-20-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just thought of something- what's Panasonic's latest policy on dead/stuck pixels? I'm extremely intolerant of them, and I'll need a panel swap if I find one. Macmall explicitly stated to me that once I accept the TV from the shipper, I'm at the mercy of Panasonic, so I expect a direct return to the retailer to be a non-option if I stick with this deal.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Old 03-20-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

MSRP: ~$3700
Macmall Preorder: ~$2,729.99 + $149.99 shipping = $2879.98 total.

It's interesting to note that this is roughly the price of what the 65" VT30 is going for now.

Not exactly. You can get the VT30 right now (while supplies last) for just under $2,400 at a couple places (see related post in this forum). But it's still a good deal for the new model year this early. On paper the new model looks to be a big improvement. The problem is we just won't know until early adopters and reviewers dig in with actual production units. On paper the VT30 did have a defective board for luminance issues, color decoding problems, issues with brightness due to the energy star standards implementation, etc. But it looks better in any case.

If Amazon actually was taking orders on them, you could probably get them to price match. Last I checked (a couple days ago) they were not yet.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Some place I've never heard of -- Provantage -- is claiming to sell it for $2,656.30 right now, though shipping is expensive.

http://www.provantage.com/panasonic-...0~7PSTV24Y.htm
Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Some place I've never heard of -- Provantage -- is claiming to sell it for $2,656.30 right now, though shipping is expensive.

http://www.provantage.com/panasonic-...0~7PSTV24Y.htm

Provantage is definitely legit but the item is not in stock...it's a Special Order...

"This item is marked SPECIAL ORDER. Please be aware that special order items can take as long as 3 to 4 weeks to be delivered"
Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 PM

Why do you say Provantage is legit? Does that mean full non-shady warranty? Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post

Why do you say Provantage is legit? Does that mean full non-shady warranty? Thanks!

I've bought from Provantage before (not a TV but the point is that they are a legit retailer)...I'm sure they have the normal manufacturer warranty for any product they sell...looks like there are some really nice pre-order deals on the VT50 available...hopefully prices will not go up before release
Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 PM

I would definitely pounce on a 65 VT50 at $2700, but only from an authorized seller. I can't find an authorized seller list on the Panny website and their live chat is down. Nor can I find a strong claim to that effect for these folks. So my credit card is still in the holster!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post

I would definitely pounce on a 65 VT50 at $2700, but only from an authorized seller. I can't find an authorized seller list on the Panny website and their live chat is down. Nor can I find a strong claim to that effect for these folks. So my credit card is still in the holster!

http://www.panasonic.com/about/view-...-retailers.asp

the most important thing for me is the warranty...what do you get from an authorized reseller that makes it special?...I'm not saying buy a TV from some scam retailer but if the retailer is a legit one then I don't see why not
Old 03-21-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

There have been long raging posts on this "authorized retailer" issue for Panasonic before and there seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around about it, perhaps exasperated by poor Panasonic call center drones and people at "authorized retailers" who spread it to posters. I don't want to be considered the definitive word on this but my recollection is the people in the know not his (Randy Waters, etc.) were pretty clear that Panasonic honors the full warranty whether you buy from an "authorized retailer" or not. You might do a search of the forum if you want to learn more.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

There have been long raging posts on this "authorized retailer" issue for Panasonic before and there seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around about it, perhaps exasperated by poor Panasonic call center drones and people at "authorized retailers" who spread it to posters. I don't want to be considered the definitive word on this but my recollection is the people in the know not his (Randy Waters, etc.) were pretty clear that Panasonic honors the full warranty whether you buy from an "authorized retailer" or not. You might do a search of the forum if you want to learn more.

Over at HDJ, D-Nice also stated that in North America, you get a full warranty no matter what. Anything else would be illegal.

That said, I canceled my order yesterday. I came to the realization that Panasonic will likely not replace the panel if I have <4 dead/stuck pixels. It sounds like back in 2006-2008 timeframe, they used to, but I read posts circa 2011 where they basically said "tough luck" to those users. Couple that with the fact that MacMall clearly stated to me that no return would be possible, and I got cold feet.

Unless a Panasonic rep assures me that even for a single dead/stuck pixel they'd replace the panel, I'm not willing to take a risk on something this expensive, regardless of how good of a deal it is. Amazon is too good/friendly (by comparison) in purchasing situations like this.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM

I ordered the TC-P65VT50 from Mac MALL on March 20. I used the Amazon payment button on checkout so the sale was listed as from the store Onsale. About a week later, I got a call/email from Mac Mall stating that the TV isn't available yet and tried to sell me the ST50, ST30, and VT30 with the statement "The only difference between any of these 3 items compared to the one that you got it that these items are network ready.". I thought that the VT50 was Network ready and a cut above these other sets. Can you say Bait and Switch? Anyways, I got messages from Amazon and Mac Mall today stating that the P65VT50 is discontinued and that my order has been cancelled. I chatted and had a conversation with a Mac Mall rep today and he said the TV isn't available from their warehouse so that is why the order was cancelled. I ended up telling him it was a pre order so it wouldn't be available yet and that I have purchased quite a bit from them and am disappointed in their behavior with this issue.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriv View Post

I ordered the TC-P65VT50 from Mac MALL on March 20. I used the Amazon payment button on checkout so the sale was listed as from the store Onsale. About a week later, I got a call/email from Mac Mall stating that the TV isn't available yet and tried to sell me the ST50, ST30, and VT30 with the statement "The only difference between any of these 3 items compared to the one that you got it that these items are network ready.". I thought that the VT50 was Network ready and a cut above these other sets. Can you say Bait and Switch? Anyways, I got messages from Amazon and Mac Mall today stating that the P65VT50 is discontinued and that my order has been cancelled. I chatted and had a conversation with a Mac Mall rep today and he said the TV isn't available from their warehouse so that is why the order was cancelled. I ended up telling him it was a pre order so it wouldn't be available yet and that I have purchased quite a bit from them and am disappointed in their behavior with this issue.

Yeah, I was wondering if this would happen since I first say the deals at MacMall and a few other sites. Since it hadn't even been determined yet which retail channels Panasonic was going to sell the VT50 too, it seemed from the start that they really early pre-sales were more to identify potential customers than to definitely lock in actual sales. Sorry to hear my suspicion was correct, at least for MacMall. It will probably prove true for the few other places that were doing sub-$3K pre-sales too.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Its a shame, $2,700 is about the top price I would consider paying for the set.

There is no way I'm spending $3,000+ on a Plasma that isn't way better than a Kuro with 4K and OLED on the horizon.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Its a shame, $2,700 is about the top price I would consider paying for the set.

There is no way I'm spending $3,000+ on a Plasma that isn't way better than a Kuro with 4K and OLED on the horizon.

It was never that likely that the new VT50 would be selling day one in the same range as the close-out VT30's.

We'll you can wait until this time next year. By then the VT50 will be will probably be under $2,500 and you can assess whether OLED is really all that and is worth whatever you'd have to pay for it or if you'd be happy with the VT50 (or E8000 which some early reviews are saying may match the 50's performance). Or, you never know, perhaps you will get lucky sooner with some super sale.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I was wondering if this would happen since I first say the deals at MacMall and a few other sites. Since it hadn't even been determined yet which retail channels Panasonic was going to sell the VT50 too, it seemed from the start that they really early pre-sales were more to identify potential customers than to definitely lock in actual sales. Sorry to hear my suspicion was correct, at least for MacMall. It will probably prove true for the few other places that were doing sub-$3K pre-sales too.

Over at HDJ, AVJunkie (a Panasonic employee) said that they were blocked from shipments due to not working with Panasonic. There weren't much details other than that.

All-in-all, this is probably a good thing. Any site that I've found so far with that price (incl MacMall) also has a "No Returns" policy. They were also super sketchy about it when I contacted them. I don't know if that would be worth the risk, especially with the first wave of panels. The Panasonic Warranty only covers so much.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member