PN64D8000 or 65GT30?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-06-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Samsung PN64D8000 and love the picture on it, it's fantastic. However, it has the dreaded buzz sound and I can hear it loud and clear from 14 feet away during quieter scenes in movies so I'm sending it back.

My question is, should I get another one at $2419, or opt for the Panasonic 65GT30 which is currently at $1827 (both on Amazon). I could save myself roughly $600 and get a TV that is supposed to not have the same buzzing problems.

I know the wife won't go for me spending more money so there's no point in looking at more expensive options (VT30, ST50, GT50)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

The 60st50 would also be an option I guess although I hate to give up the 5 inches...
post #3 of 12 Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I am in the same boat, more or less. I had been deciding between the VT30 and the D7000 or D8000 back when the VT30 could be had for $2.4K a few weeks ago. Even when it was priced the same as the D7000 and 8000 I didn't jump because I liked the Samsung's more for the same price. They are more or less a draw on PQ, they are much lighter, have swivel stands (which I use a lot currently), and better and much cheaper 3D glasses. And I am not worried about the buzz because my experience is for the most part people have different hearing and it bothers some more than others and I have a Samsung now that doesnt bother me so I think I fit into the camp that doesn't hear it much (I do with the volume off only).

I didn't bite on the VT30 and I didn't feel good that D7000 or 800 were good deals at $2.2 and $2.4K, since they were much cheaper around the end of the year and not that much of a savings over what you will soon be able to get nice new models like the ST50 at.

Now these Panasonic S30 and G30 prices have tempted me. They are only about $165 apart which makes the G30 tempting even though it seems like other than design it doesn't have any real advantage over the S30. There is a negligible black level benefit and it has a THX mode, but I don't think the THX level will matter to me because you can get better results using the settings posted on this site which doesn't use the THX mode so that feature is worth nothing.

I still prefer the Samsung D's over the GT or ST30, but not for $600. I'll either take my chances waiting for the last Samsung's to come down in price or hold out for the 50's to come out and come down in price (or drive the Samsung's down).

Good luck.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 PM

I am actually in a very similar situation. I'm trying to decide between the 65GT30 and the 60ST50. It's been pretty difficult because Panasonic's changed some of the tech this year. Both are around the same price on Amazon now.

65GT30: 5" larger screen size, THX mode, extra HDMI/USB ports
60ST50: As good or better PQ than VT30, bluetooth 3D glasses, better design (subjective)

I would go with the 60ST50, but like you said, it's hard to give up 5" of tv.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

I have now also started eyeing the Samsung e550 as it seems pretty high-end for the price but haven't found any reviews for it.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douflag View Post

I am actually in a very similar situation. I'm trying to decide between the 65GT30 and the 60ST50. It's been pretty difficult because Panasonic's changed some of the tech this year. Both are around the same price on Amazon now.

65GT30: 5" larger screen size, THX mode, extra HDMI/USB ports
60ST50: As good or better PQ than VT30, bluetooth 3D glasses, better design (subjective)

I would go with the 60ST50, but like you said, it's hard to give up 5" of tv.

Sicne you are a user of AVSForum, I would rank the THX mode as a nearly useless feature. There are many calibration posts to help you dial-in the Panasonic's and most (and all those from the most respected posters as far as I have seen) use the custom mode instead of THX. So assumig you use any of those, or calibrate it youself or have it done professionally, you won't end up using THX anyway.

The extra HDMI and USB ports only matter if you expect to use them? Do you reasonably foresee plugging 4 HDMI devices directly into your TV? If you use an AV Receiver or decent sound bar you probably won't since most devices will route through it and output as a single HDMI. And most people who don't use a receiver usually only have 1-3 devices -- a TV decoder box, a DVD or Blu-ray player and perhaps some streaming device if they didn't get it in their Blu-ray player, and the latter is even less relevant with these TV's that have most of the major streaming services included. You may be one of the exceptions who needs 4 of course.

So to me it really just comes down to size versus features and better PQ. Personally I would still always go for size, especially when the PQ is still very good on the lesser model. But to each their own. Some people, particularly on this forum, are obsessed with PQ so saying you would ever settle is unfathomable.

Good luck.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 AM

I chose the 65GT30 and was not planning on doing a calibration. I figured I would just use THX or the setting listed in the forum. Well, i just felt the tv had more potential. Thanks to D-Nice for unlocking the potential. He calibrated THX for daytime and 3D, and then Custom was nighttime mode. I also do not use all the HDMI either. I have a Panny Soundbar with ARC. To get 5.1 from my BD, ATV3 and FiOS box, I run everything to an HDMI switch, that does 3D of course, and then route one HDMI to the tv ARC port. In retrospect, I should of bought the 65ST30 and had it calibrated. The extra money I spent on the GT would of covered the cost of the calibration. Yes, the GT has a better appearance, but that was not a factor for me. I sit about 12-14 feet away from my tv and use the SainSonic glasses. Much farther away, and the glasses do ot work. They cost a lot less than Panny's and I have had a very good viewing experience with them. So, if you get it calibrated, I would by the 65ST30 and use the extra money for the calibration and the generic glasses. Just my thoughts and YMMV.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboychuck View Post

I chose the 65GT30 and was not planning on doing a calibration. I figured I would just use THX or the setting listed in the forum. Well, i just felt the tv had more potential. Thanks to D-Nice for unlocking the potential. He calibrated THX for daytime and 3D, and then Custom was nighttime mode. I also do not use all the HDMI either. I have a Panny Soundbar with ARC. To get 5.1 from my BD, ATV3 and FiOS box, I run everything to an HDMI switch, that does 3D of course, and then route one HDMI to the tv ARC port. In retrospect, I should of bought the 65ST30 and had it calibrated. The extra money I spent on the GT would of covered the cost of the calibration. Yes, the GT has a better appearance, but that was not a factor for me. I sit about 12-14 feet away from my tv and use the SainSonic glasses. Much farther away, and the glasses do ot work. They cost a lot less than Panny's and I have had a very good viewing experience with them. So, if you get it calibrated, I would by the 65ST30 and use the extra money for the calibration and the generic glasses. Just my thoughts and YMMV.

How flawlessly is the sound bar ARC working for you? I have read reviews of people that say it's spotty. Also, are you running your HDMI, post switch, straight to the set or through the sound bar? That's how it reads in your post. But why wouldn't you run it through the Panny bar? If you don't, how are you getting sound to it? If optical audio back from the TV aren't you losing out since that converts it down to 2.1 basic surround?
post #9 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 AM

Sorry, my first post had an error.... I run my Panny BD player, ATV3 and FiOS box to the splitter. I then run one HDMI from the splitter to the Panny Soundbar. I then run the Soundbar to the ARC HDMI on the tv. The ARC works fine and it links the Soundbar and BD player to my tv. That is the only way you can get 5.1 out of all devices. You cannot run the device to the tv and then expect 5.1, because 5.1 only goes to the device it is hooked up to. It does not pass through. I did have to spend about $75 to buy he splitter, but now I can enjoy 5.1 with all my devices.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboychuck View Post

Sorry, my first post had an error.... I run my Panny BD player, ATV3 and FiOS box to the splitter. I then run one HDMI from the splitter to the Panny Soundbar. I then run the Soundbar to the ARC HDMI on the tv. The ARC works fine and it links the Soundbar and BD player to my tv. That is the only way you can get 5.1 out of all devices. You cannot run the device to the tv and then expect 5.1, because 5.1 only goes to the device it is hooked up to. It does not pass through. I did have to spend about $75 to buy he splitter, but now I can enjoy 5.1 with all my devices.

That makes more sense, thanks. Does the ARC of the TV and Sound Bar successfully handshake witht the splitter on changing sources or do you have to manully select your source for the splitter? That would be pretty annoying if you effectively have to pick A, B, C every time you use a different device. What splitter did you use?
post #11 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 PM

The HDMI switch is from Monoprice and it has a remote. The switching is not automatic, but the remote makes it painless to select different devices. The handshake works fine. I had an older switch that would not work with 3D content. I did upgrade to 22AWG HDMI cables as suggested by Monoprice. The price is very minimal. I did not want to spend the money for an A/V receiver and speakers. The switch and Soundbar are perfect for my needs.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up buying another PN64D8000. The price difference just wasn't big enough. After buying the more expensive IR 3D glasses, the price difference would be even less. I don't care hugely about 3D, but if I have it I'd like to be able to use it. Over time the cost of glasses would diminish the cost savings even more. There's something to be said for readily available $19 3D glasses. I also like the styling/picture best on the Samsung.

New one is perfect, no buzzing. I love it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page