Should I buy this used 50ST30? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It says 8/10 condition which sounds fine, I don't mind scratches and stuff on the outside but I don't want any damage to the screen or the internal. In other words, I expect it to work like a new one. Do you think if I buy it it will meet these expectations?

On a side note, for anyone who has this TV, how is it for gaming, cause that's pretty much all it will be used for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-09-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslieb1 View Post

It says 8/10 condition which sounds fine, I don't mind scratches and stuff on the outside but I don't want any damage to the screen or the internal. In other words, I expect it to work like a new one. Do you think if I buy it it will meet these expectations?

On a side note, for anyone who has this TV, how is it for gaming, cause that's pretty much all it will be used for.

This depends on numerous factors:

1) Your risk tolerance for used products, which sounds high.

2) Where it is coming from. Was it a floor sample? If so, for how long? Usually you don't want a floor sample or demo plasma. They usually have been abused on vivid mode for months on end. From a private owner you trust, different story.

3) How much are you paying. Prices for new are plummeting right now as stores try to get rid of old inventory with new already coming in.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

This depends on numerous factors:

1) Your risk tolerance for used products, which sounds high.

2) Where it is coming from. Was it a floor sample? If so, for how long? Usually you don't want a floor sample or demo plasma. They usually have been abused on vivid mode for months on end. From a private owner you trust, different story.

3) How much are you paying. Prices for new are plummeting right now as stores try to get rid of old inventory with new already coming in.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ass_VIERA.html

Here it is. Like I said I don't care if there's scratches on the body, I just want the screen untouched and for it to work like a new one. I'd also like to know if it would still be necessary to "break it in". I'm not asking you guys to tell me all the imperfections, cause how would you know, I'm just asking if you think, based on my precautions and what the listing says, if I should pull the trigger or not.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslieb1 View Post

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ass_VIERA.html

Here it is. Like I said I don't care if there's scratches on the body, I just want the screen untouched and for it to work like a new one. I'd also like to know if it would still be necessary to "break it in". I'm not asking you guys to tell me all the imperfections, cause how would you know, I'm just asking if you think, based on my precautions and what the listing says, if I should pull the trigger or not.

Your call, but I wouldn't. You aren't able to see the TV for yourself and are taking their word for it that it's condition is an 8. It doesn't seem to say if this was a return on a set a customer kept for less than 30 days or a floor sample out for 12 months. With a plasma I would want to see the performance of the screen. Scratches are cosmetic. But if they ran this thing 18 hours a day on the same channel with the same logo, who knows.

Break in only matters if the screen hasn't been run much already. But, again, how do you know? Their 8-rating only seems to indicate cosmetic appearance not the history of the set. In any event, "break in" isn't even an essential act. Most people don't do it and end up fine.

Again, you're risk tolerance for used seems high so it may work out fine for you. Perhaps you could call their store and get the specific history of the set. If some customer returned it after a week because they wanted larger, yeah, maybe. Floor sample for a year, stay away.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Your call, but I wouldn't. You aren't able to see the TV for yourself and are taking their word for it that it's condition is an 8. It doesn't seem to say if this was a return on a set a customer kept for less than 30 days or a floor sample out for 12 months. With a plasma I would want to see the performance of the screen. Scratches are cosmetic. But if they ran this thing 18 hours a day on the same channel with the same logo, who knows.

Break in only matters if the screen hasn't been run much already. But, again, how do you know? Their 8-rating only seems to indicate cosmetic appearance not the history of the set. In any event, "break in" isn't even an essential act. Most people don't do it and end up fine.

Again, you're risk tolerance for used seems high so it may work out fine for you. Perhaps you could call their store and get the specific history of the set. If some customer returned it after a week because they wanted larger, yeah, maybe. Floor sample for a year, stay away.

Talked to a sales agent about it. Here's the conversation we had:

James : Product: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 50" Class VIERA ST30 Series 3D Plasma TV (used) -Is this a returned item? If so, how long was it owned before returned? -Has it been used as a display model (ex. in a store)? If so, for how long? -Approximately how many hours are on it? -Are there any functional problems with the TV? -Are all accessories included that would be included with a new one? Thank you.

Please wait while we find an agent from the Used Video Sales department to assist you.

You have been connected to Sam Z.

Sam Z: Hi

Sam Z: it was a return

Sam Z: All equipment is guaranteed to work, regardless of its cosmetic condition. Used audio, digital photo, and video (excluding video heads) equipment have a 90 -day Parts and Labor warranty. You can return it to us within 30 days of receipt of the order You have the option of exchanging the item(s) or receiving a refund for the full amount of the original purchase price within the allowed return period

James: Ok, thanks. Can you tell me approximately how long it was owned for before it was returned, and also if it was ever used as a floor model?

Sam Z: we do not know that

James: Ok, so what you're saying it is guaranteed to work like a new one?

James: Hello?

Sam Z: right

James: Ok, and one last concern: Are all accessories included that would be included with a new one? Like AC adapter, stand, manual, etc.

Sam Z: yes

James: Okay. Thank you very much Sam, you've been a lot of help.

Sam Z: bye

James: Goodbye.

Your session has ended.

So here's what I know now:
-It was a return.
-It should work just like a new one.
-All accessories included.

What I don't know is:
-How long it was owned for before returned.
-If it was a floor model, and if so for how long.
-The number of hours on it.

So based on this info, do you think I should pull the trigger and buy this TV based on my concerns listed in the OP?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

So based on this info, do you think I should pull the trigger and buy this TV based on my concerns listed in the OP?

It is a 50" Panel @ $650 - add $140 for shipping (at least to MI: $190 for "white glove") and you have an $800 HDTV.

Would not hop on a 50" ST30 at that price level:
- too much chance that it has been returned for Green Blobs &/or Pink Tint;
- too close in price to alternative new panels.

Heck, can buy a 60" 2012 LG Plasma for under $1k at CostCo, and saw two ads in today's paper for 51" Samsungs at under $600....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page