post #541 of 2673 Old 08-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by postnobills View Post

Interesting response you got re: Amazon prime shipping. If I put that TV in my shopping cart it tells me I can have it delivered for free in two days as a Prime member.

That's what it says, until you want to pay. Amazon requires the white glove up charge on TVs for all of us Prime members . . . Good luck getting white glove from Amazon when they force you to pay for it. Three TVs since Christmas . . . Shabby delivery experience with Pilot (Amazon contracts with them in my area) no matter how much you pay for white glove. By policy, even Prime members get not break n the white glove up charge unless you can prove you get free white glove delivery on a lower price match. Paul's tv had that for a few days a couple of weeks ago and I lucked out.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2673 Old 08-08-2012, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PaulsTV did offer free white glove shipping which would come out the same as Amazon's price ($2200 55") but Amazon is still cheaper if you priced in the tax at PaulsTV. And if you use your Amazon Visa Chase card, you get 3% cashback automatically. Abe's of Maine is also cheaper at $2013 with WG shipping.

It just irks me that Panasonic doesn't offer a free pair of 3d glasses for a flagship model. They went cheap. I could have used the cost of that WG shipping though to buy 3 pairs! Do they sell them at Costco? Amazon sells them for $50! Abe's of Maine should have bundled their TV with the 3d glasses instead of the wall mount.
post #543 of 2673 Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

That's what it says, until you want to pay. Amazon requires the white glove up charge on TVs for all of us Prime members . . . Good luck getting white glove from Amazon when they force you to pay for it. Three TVs since Christmas . . . Shabby delivery experience with Pilot (Amazon contracts with them in my area) no matter how much you pay for white glove. By policy, even Prime members get not break n the white glove up charge unless you can prove you get free white glove delivery on a lower price match. Paul's tv had that for a few days a couple of weeks ago and I lucked out.

And this is why I'll probably never buy another TV from Amazon. I bought the VT30 last year (which had a bunch of problems and subsequently returned), and their "white glove" delivery service through Pilot involved having the delivery man take it into my dining room (closest room to the front door) taking out the TV and leaning it on my wall and making sure it worked. There was no assembly of the stand, and he refused to move it into any other room.

I price matched some other store including white glove delivery service, and I would've been much better off just getting it from that store with actual white glove delivery service.
post #544 of 2673 Old 08-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Was shopping for 3D glasses. The Blick universal 3D glasses are actually better than the one that Panasonic sells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pduWW5ZTPoU

Not sure though if it's compatible with the VT50.
post #545 of 2673 Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 AM

I pulled the trigger today and picked up the TCP55VT50. I went to one of the many BB stores here in the Bay Area and had to go to the Magnolia section inside the store. I had been checking stock availability for about a week, and this location was the only one in about a 30 mile radius that actually had the set at the store and not at the region distribution center.

They have had the price at $2,199 for a while now, which matches Amazon's price, but of course the local sales tax drives it up higher so I was set on getting a better price in order to pull the trigger. I asked the person who was helping me if they would match authorized Internet dealer prices, and he said they probably would if the dealer is listed on the Panasonic approved dealer list. I told him Cleveland Plasma has the set for $1,900 right now plus $100 for shipping and asked him to match the price. He looked up the list, and since Cleveland was not on the list he said they would not match it. I told him unless you give me 4 pairs of the Panasonic 3D glasses (BB price of $80/pair) I was going elsewhere. I said work me up a price and I'll let you know if you are in the ballpark.

Well wouldn't you know when all was said and done he marked the TV down to $1,999.99, and with the 4 pair of glasses my price was about $2450 including CA tax out the door. Overall he took about $300 off so I was pretty happy. Since I had a boat load of Reward Zone points to burn and also a BB gift card my total out of pocket was even lower so it's a win-win.

I'm hoping to get it out of the box and on the wall on Friday to replace my 5 year old TH-50PX60U, which of course has nothing wrong with it. The appeal of 3D, Internet features, a much thinner footprint, and 5 more inches was too much to pass up.

I gave the Samsung 7150 60 inch LED a shot last week, and while very slick looking it just doesn't compare to the Panasonic plasma picture.
post #546 of 2673 Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasselbacher View Post

I pulled the trigger today and picked up the TCP55VT50. I went to one of the many BB stores here in the Bay Area and had to go to the Magnolia section inside the store. I had been checking stock availability for about a week, and this location was the only one in about a 30 mile radius that actually had the set at the store and not at the region distribution center.
They have had the price at $2,199 for a while now, which matches Amazon's price, but of course the local sales tax drives it up higher so I was set on getting a better price in order to pull the trigger. I asked the person who was helping me if they would match authorized Internet dealer prices, and he said they probably would if the dealer is listed on the Panasonic approved dealer list. I told him Cleveland Plasma has the set for $1,900 right now plus $100 for shipping and asked him to match the price. He looked up the list, and since Cleveland was not on the list he said they would not match it. I told him unless you give me 4 pairs of the Panasonic 3D glasses (BB price of $80/pair) I was going elsewhere. I said work me up a price and I'll let you know if you are in the ballpark.
Well wouldn't you know when all was said and done he marked the TV down to $1,999.99, and with the 4 pair of glasses my price was about $2450 including CA tax out the door. Overall he took about $300 off so I was pretty happy. Since I had a boat load of Reward Zone points to burn and also a BB gift card my total out of pocket was even lower so it's a win-win.
I'm hoping to get it out of the box and on the wall on Friday to replace my 5 year old TH-50PX60U, which of course has nothing wrong with it. The appeal of 3D, Internet features, a much thinner footprint, and 5 more inches was too much to pass up.
I gave the Samsung 7150 60 inch LED a shot last week, and while very slick looking it just doesn't compare to the Panasonic plasma picture.

Congrats on your purchase. Cleveland Plasma is not on the list, but I bought my 65VT50 from them and it was delivered in 2 days. I'm in the Bay Area also and did not pay taxes. It would've been cheaper if you got it from Cleveland, $2,000 no taxes, and Amazon has the glasses for $50 each no tax free delivery. But of course, you wouldn't be able to use your gift cards and points. Enjoy your TV. I love mine.
post #547 of 2673 Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 PM

Cleveland Plasma has the 65 for 2900 plus 100 for shipping. if i call them can i get it for less, and how much, at that price id like to get it down a 100
post #548 of 2673 Old 08-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Wow it looks like the price isn't going to come down on this anytime soon. We need EE to get some back in stock to drive the price down! Anyone heard anything about them getting more VT50 in?
post #549 of 2673 Old 08-10-2012, 07:19 AM

They keep saying the end of the month. But they also said that last month. They seem to think it's on national back order. Makes you wonder why they're the only ones who aren't getting them in. I'm sure Panasonic is limiting their supply.
post #550 of 2673 Old 08-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat!!! View Post

Cleveland Plasma has the 65 for 2900 plus 100 for shipping. if i call them can i get it for less, and how much, at that price id like to get it down a 100

Give Chris a call. He's great to deal with. Doesn't hurt to try.
post #551 of 2673 Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
G
Quote:
Originally Posted by goplay912 View Post

Give Chris a call. He's great to deal with. Doesn't hurt to try.

+1
post #552 of 2673 Old 08-11-2012, 04:36 PM

Believe me, I was close on going with Amazon or Cleveland, but I really wanted to burn my reward zone points and a gift card so I just couldn't pass this one up. I certainly would have saved the reward zone points and the gift card for later, and gone elsewhere if BB hadn't come down on their price to sweeten the deal and make up for taxes.

I just got the VT up on the wall last night and I just love the way it looks. The slim bezel and thinner profile really make a difference when compared to my TH50PX60U from 5 1/2 years ago. I'm trying the Internet apps right now and am watching mlb.com and so far so good.

One of the things I don't like early on is the placement of the HDMI and USB ports on the outer edge (facing outward)of the panel. It appears that most manufacturers are doing this on the newer thin sets. I think I would prefer to have the ports toward the middle and have them oriented so you plug the HDMI cable up, similar to how the component cable plugs in, the PC connection, ethernet, etc. The reason I say this is because I have a Pro Mounts articulating mount, and when I try to swing it open to the left, it requires a lot of slack in the HDMI cables that are all the way on the left edge. I can work with it, but it's different from what I'm used to on the old set, where the connections were close to the center of the rear of the set. Of course, it's a small price to pay for a sweet upgrade like this.

I'm looking forward to calibrating it once I get past the 100 hour break in point. Out of the box on standard mode this thing looks pretty good right now.
post #553 of 2673 Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM

Hey Iodit, can you send me the screen capture of the EEP deal?
post #554 of 2673 Old 08-13-2012, 03:31 PM

Liked: 14
Those not in favor of BB and Geeksquad: FYI that a local BB (Jersey City, NJ) matched the $2550 price that I found in mid July with another NJ shop (Electronics Expo) but who didn't have any in stock at that time.

And yes, the TV is a brand new one and not a return or open item.

And no, I did not know any employee there or had any special discount. Just showed the printout of the EE's screen shot and email that had their price and informed him that I was prepared to pull the trigger immediately. Note that I purchased the set on July 17th.

So, please try what I did.

Good luck!

On Geek Squad: maybe I had a low expectation based on the bad reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised with their service.

Since i saved a lot on this TV, I purchased a $100 mount and paid for their set-up services including mounting the TV. Guys were on time, extremely efficient and answered a lot of my queries. All remotes were set up and the TV was programmed for a seamless connection with the internet and my other gadgets (not many, just the fios dvr, avr and blue-ray). They wore extra loafers on their shoes when they came inside the apartment and used a vaccum cleaner to clean all the debris; left the room spotless. They also offered to take the packaging back but I wanted to hold in case i need to return the TV (which I don't think is going to happen).

Since I am highly impressed - and lucky I guess - with BB's outstanding service, I am leaning towards purchasing their extended warranty as my gesture of appreciation and will consider the protection as a bonus.
post #555 of 2673 Old 08-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCPatsfan View Post

Those not in favor of BB and Geeksquad: FYI that a local BB (Jersey City, NJ) matched the $2550 price that I found in mid July with another NJ shop (Electronics Expo) but who didn't have any in stock at that time.

You're lucky you have an actual retail EE close to you. I don't think others would have any luck doing this if there isn't an EE close by. I'm pretty sure BB won't price match them if it is just an online price. I was able to get BB to price match Amazon on the VT30 last year (I never did buy the TV) but Amazon is a little different then EE wink.gif I am still waiting on that $2500 price though and really depend on EE get some more stock in online.
post #556 of 2673 Old 08-14-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

You're lucky you have an actual retail EE close to you. I don't think others would have any luck doing this if there isn't an EE close by. I'm pretty sure BB won't price match them if it is just an online price. I was able to get BB to price match Amazon on the VT30 last year (I never did buy the TV) but Amazon is a little different then EE wink.gif I am still waiting on that $2500 price though and really depend on EE get some more stock in online.

Very possible.

PS: Its been quite some time I gave up trying to understand how luck works...and also about how a woman thinks. biggrin.gif
post #557 of 2673 Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCPatsfan View Post

Very possible.
PS: Its been quite some time I gave up trying to understand how luck works...and also about how a woman thinks. biggrin.gif

Haha. So you mentioned you showed them a screenshot and the email of the price. What screenshot did you show them? Was the TV in stock online? Currently it has shown out of stock for the past month. I got an email from EE saying what their price is but I didn't think BB would honor that.
post #558 of 2673 Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Haha. So you mentioned you showed them a screenshot and the email of the price. What screenshot did you show them? Was the TV in stock online? Currently it has shown out of stock for the past month. I got an email from EE saying what their price is but I didn't think BB would honor that.

I had the screenshot because I didn't want BB to doubt their presence. Took a printout of the screen of EE's listing of this particular TV - yes, they don't show the price online and no, they were not in stock even that time.

Since EE's email mentioned the price, I gave a copy of that as evidence that I wasn't bluffing. Email mentioned that they were expecting delivery in two weeks. So, give it a shot. If you are not in the northeast, mention to your BB that EE has six branches in NJ and so aren't a shady internet-only operator.

One more reason why I was blown away by BB's service: I had made these arrangements the previous day but the purchase was made the next day by my friend on behalf of me. Best part - neither did my friend have the email/screenshot nor did he find the person with whom I had spoken to! He instead spoke to the guy at service there and mentioned that I had negotiated the price the previous day for that particular TV. I assume that the BB guy double-checked with the Manager before finalizing the transaction.

BB's customer service over the phone is pathetic but I am blown away by the Jersey City guys. Plan to give them credit both in their sites and outside ones.

Good luck with your effort, hope it works out. smile.gif
post #559 of 2673 Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM

Well I didn't do as well on the price as NYCPatsFan ( Funny how i'am a Giants Fan ) But I did almost the same thing lol I followed his strategy. I live in Long Island. First I had EE email me their price today which was $2550
for the 65VT50. I went to a local BestBuy and was just looking, sales assoc came up to me and asked if he could help. I asked him if BestBuy would match the EE price. He told me that since we were in Long Island and EE was in Jersey he could not, only a manager could, I told him I would buy the TV on the spot and had nothing to lose by having manager come over . I had a printed copy of the email dated today with price of $2550 which I showed to him. Well the manager went over to his computer and said while he couldn't match their price he would do it for $2800 and free delivery (retail price was $3500 on price card) EE told me they charge 200 for delivery.Since this was the best price I had seen and they had stock in warehouse it was a NoBrainer for me anyway
SOLD !!!!!!!!! I guess I'm a new member of the 65VT50 club
So a big thanks to you NYCPatsFan for the Tv and last years SuperBowl

Good Luck to all searching and those that live in the NYC metro area give it a try you got nothing to lose
post #560 of 2673 Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkpro View Post

Well I didn't do as well on the price as NYCPatsFan ( Funny how i'am a Giants Fan ) But I did almost the same thing lol I followed his strategy. I live in Long Island. First I had EE email me their price today which was $2550
for the 65VT50. I went to a local BestBuy and was just looking, sales assoc came up to me and asked if he could help. I asked him if BestBuy would match the EE price. He told me that since we were in Long Island and EE was in Jersey he could not, only a manager could, I told him I would buy the TV on the spot and had nothing to lose by having manager come over . I had a printed copy of the email dated today with price of $2550 which I showed to him. Well the manager went over to his computer and said while he couldn't match their price he would do it for $2800 and free delivery (retail price was $3500 on price card) EE told me they charge 200 for delivery.Since this was the best price I had seen and they had stock in warehouse it was a NoBrainer for me anyway
Good Luck to all searching and those that live in the NYC metro area give it a try you got nothing to lose

$2800 out the door or tax on top of that? With tax that would be almost $3100 for me. Still looking for a better deal!
post #561 of 2673 Old 08-16-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkpro View Post

Nice! Glad it worked out. smile.gif Enjoy the TV; it is spectacular.

Hey - You failed to thank me for the '08 SB. wink.gif

And yeah, i wouldn't have helped you save had I know your team. Dang! biggrin.gif
post #562 of 2673 Old 08-17-2012, 08:56 AM

Ok, i've got a great price quoted from Electronic Expo. Are they a reputable dealer?
post #563 of 2673 Old 08-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmatcher247 View Post

Ok, i've got a great price quoted from Electronic Expo. Are they a reputable dealer?

I think others have ordered from them and it has been ok. I got my receiver from them and it was an ok experience. Been several years but for some reason they left me with a bad taste in my mouth. What price you get quoted? $2552? Let us know where you end up getting it and what kind of deal you get smile.gif
post #564 of 2673 Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I think others have ordered from them and it has been ok. I got my receiver from them and it was an ok experience. Been several years but for some reason they left me with a bad taste in my mouth. What price you get quoted? $2552? Let us know where you end up getting it and what kind of deal you get smile.gif

on 7/20 i ordered a 65" VT 50 and a yammy A3010 receiver
I was told the next week that the VT50 wouldn't be in until "sometime mid-august", which was both too long to wait and way too vague of a time frame. so i cancelled the VT50 order and went to cleveland plasma and received my unit on 7/30 (very quick)

the A3010 from EE did arrive within a week and everything is fine with it

I don't want to badmouth EE, but for me, I didn't want to play the waiting game on when they would get it in stock, when others (like cleveland plasma) could get the unit in my hands for maybe $100 more

just my experience
post #565 of 2673 Old 08-17-2012, 05:38 PM

I ordered a 65" VT 50 on 7/4 through my work EPP, directly from Panasonic, hoping that I would get the TV faster that way. Well, I finally got notification on 8/16 that the TV arrived at the shipping company's local facility. They will be delivering to my home on 8/22. How's that for a waiting game? There has just been a general back order situation for these TVs. I even considered cancelling my order two weeks ago and attempting to get it from BestBuy but they were unable to convince me that they could actually place their hands on one in short order.
post #566 of 2673 Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 PM

Electronics Expo called me on Wednesday saying they just got a large shipment of VT50s in. Unfortunately I had just bought mine from Cleveland Plasma already. Anyone else have any luck with EE?
post #567 of 2673 Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 PM

Hey Hey Hey,

Look what we have here - EE website now showing 65VT50 in stock for $2895 when you add to your cart. If you get them to email you latest price however, it shows up as $2552..
post #568 of 2673 Old 08-18-2012, 08:08 AM

Here is the information you requested:

Panasonic 65

Suggested Retail Price : $3999.00

Instant Savings : $1446.99

Your Expo Price: $2552.01

Wow. In the cart it shows as $2895 even after clicking the link they emailed me, but in Live Chat the dude is saying he can get it for $2552.01 plus shipping, making it $2762 total. What would amazon do for price match on this do you think?
post #569 of 2673 Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

So I called Amazon to get them to price match EE and they did but then they wanted to add $299 + $99 for shipping! I'm not sure why they wanted to add that much. It seems like everyone I have heard get an Amazon price match just had $99 added for white glove. Anyone know what's up with this excessive shipping? I may try and call back later and get a different CSR.
post #570 of 2673 Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 AM

Got Amazon to match EE's $2552.01 + $209.99 for shipping, but I couldn't get Amazon to waive the $99 white glove upcharge. But I get 3% cash back with my Amazon Visa card on Amazon purchases so its almost a wash. Got it for $2861 shipped, no tax, and getting 3% cash back, so final price of $2775.17!

I started to put up a fuss about the $99 white glove charge, b/c the guy said he asked EE how much their white glove delivery cost and he said $99. Whatever, I was sick of being on the phone for 45 min.

Woohoo smile.gif

Thanks, guys! and FWIW when the Amazon guy called EE, they said they had ONE 65" VT50 left in stock. So if you want to do what I did, do it quickly!

Any advice on an extended warranty?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page