Panasonic VT50 Deals - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2673 Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to add my BB price match experience...

Grapevine TX store. Magnolia salesman was really negative towards any price match talk on a 65 GT OR VT set. Constantly objecting to any place or point I brought up. I turned heel and left. Good luck BB. With salesman's attitudes like that I give the company 1-2 years before going the way of CC and Blockbuster. I won't waste anymore time trying to spend money there. If they don't want to price match or deal with it, don't advertise it.

I decided to go with the 60GT50 anyway price matched to amazon at BH w/free delivery and no sales tax. With the extra grand+ saved I will buy a projector/screen combo for the movies. Thanks BB for helping me make up my mind to shop elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2673 Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascoral View Post

Grapevine TX store. Magnolia salesman was really negative towards any price match talk on a 65 GT OR VT set. Constantly objecting to any place or point I brought up. I turned heel and left. Good luck BB. With salesman's attitudes like that I give the company 1-2 years before going the way of CC and Blockbuster. I won't waste anymore time trying to spend money there. If they don't want to price match or deal with it, don't advertise it.
I decided to go with the 60GT50 anyway price matched to amazon at BH w/free delivery and no sales tax. With the extra grand+ saved I will buy a projector/screen combo for the movies. Thanks BB for helping me make up my mind to shop elsewhere.

I am not excusing the salesman's attitude. Just want to comment specifically on the price matching of eastcoasttvs and buytvtoday. These retailers do not fall under the holiday price matching policy as they are not national authorized dealers. In fact, they are not even authorized dealers. I think it's great that some of you have gotten them to match them, but I don't really get why some people are getting mad about it when they are turned down. Sorry to use you to call this out texascoral, as your story has another element in the salesperson being rude. I just don't think it's fair to expect a national reputable dealer to match this type of retailer. Everyone's beloved Amazon is not being held to this standard. Why the "special treatment" for Best Buy?

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #1083 of 2673 Old 11-25-2012, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

I am not excusing the salesman's attitude. Just want to comment specifically on the price matching of eastcoasttvs and buytvtoday. These retailers do not fall under the holiday price matching policy as they are not national authorized dealers. In fact, they are not even authorized dealers. I think it's great that some of you have gotten them to match them, but I don't really get why some people are getting mad about it when they are turned down. Sorry to use you to call this out texascoral, as your story has another element in the salesperson being rude. I just don't think it's fair to expect a national reputable dealer to match this type of retailer. Everyone's beloved Amazon is not being held to this standard. Why the "special treatment" for Best Buy?

Another thing to bear in mind is the fact that this so-called discount stores will charge you 15% restocking fee plus you pay for the shipping. Personally I rather pay a little more for the peace of mind that I can return a unit no questions asked (at least this is what the policy says!).
post #1084 of 2673 Old 11-25-2012, 12:16 PM

I didn't get mad, I just walked away.

I was a big ticket retail store manager for 15 years, and know a good salesman when I talk to one. This guy wasn't good. A good salesman would have asked what he could do to make the sale. This guy wanted to argue.

Nuff said.
post #1085 of 2673 Old 11-25-2012, 01:15 PM

I found one for $2980 (with 3 pairs of the Panasonic 3D glasses) shipped from a reputable seller. Is that still considered a good deal? I want to make sure before dropping that kind of money to justify upgrading my 65S1 that I currently have. I hope the picture is even better!
post #1086 of 2673 Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't get mad, I just walked away.
I was a big ticket retail store manager for 15 years, and know a good salesman when I talk to one. This guy wasn't good. A good salesman would have asked what he could do to make the sale. This guy wanted to argue.
Nuff said.

No worries, didn't mean to call you out specifically. I would have done the same thing.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #1087 of 2673 Old 11-25-2012, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I couldn't agree more. I am one of the lucky ones that got Best Buy to match the $2599 price. I wasn't really in the market for a new tv but saw this deal and had to give it a shot. Much to my wife's dismay, replied with in an hour and agrees to price match the $2599 deal.

I got such a good deal that I decided to go with the 4yr protection agreement. After taxes I walked out with 65VT50, 4 yr protection plan, and free Calibration for 3200. Best Buy had the TV listed at MSRP $3699.

Not to derail the tread but does anyone know anything about Best Buy's calibration? I know very little about this process but it seems like there is several different methods and equipment that can be used. Is their process any good?

Thanks all.
post #1088 of 2673 Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post

I couldn't agree more. I am one of the lucky ones that got Best Buy to match the $2599 price. I wasn't really in the market for a new tv but saw this deal and had to give it a shot. Much to my wife's dismay, replied with in an hour and agrees to price match the $2599 deal.
I got such a good deal that I decided to go with the 4yr protection agreement. After taxes I walked out with 65VT50, 4 yr protection plan, and free Calibration for 3200. Best Buy had the TV listed at MSRP $3699.
Not to derail the tread but does anyone know anything about Best Buy's calibration? I know very little about this process but it seems like there is several different methods and equipment that can be used. Is their process any good?
Thanks all.

Most calibrations are pretty similar in the equipment and the methods that they use. What can differ is the depth of detail they go to to calibrate the set. Independent calibrators tend to spend a little more time and calibrate the set to a greater level of detail. They also tend to charge as much as double what Best Buy charges. The Best Buy calibration is still a professional calibration performed by an ISF certified calibrator with professional calibration equipment. They do tend to spend around 90 minutes on the set and thus can only calibrate down to a certain level of detail. Both calibrations will help you get the best picture out of your set, will calibrate multiple inputs and give you ISF day/night modes to use at different times of day. Hope this helps!

post #1089 of 2673 Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Most calibrations are pretty similar in the equipment and the methods that they use. What can differ is the depth of detail they go to to calibrate the set. Independent calibrators tend to spend a little more time and calibrate the set to a greater level of detail. They also tend to charge as much as double what Best Buy charges. The Best Buy calibration is still a professional calibration performed by an ISF certified calibrator with professional calibration equipment. They do tend to spend around 90 minutes on the set and thus can only calibrate down to a certain level of detail. Both calibrations will help you get the best picture out of your set, will calibrate multiple inputs and give you ISF day/night modes to use at different times of day. Hope this helps!

Speaker,
Thank you, helps quite a bit. Most people say wait 200-300 hrs. I looked in the menu but cant find an hr counter. Is there an average hrs per week/day figure I can use to figure out when this time will come?

Thanks!
post #1090 of 2673 Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 AM

Best buy should have priced matched a long time ago. It is better to marginalize the competition by beating them at their own game than play catch-up. A retailer will always loose in the end.
Retailers will never be in a place of authority. Apple is special, but I consider them special because they created a new market. In a few years, it will be hard for them to continue to price tablets unreasonably. The Ipad mini proves that.

The Magnolia sales person, who told me he was on commission (Columbia, MD store) and needed to get the sale was extremely rude. I will pay a little extra for "peace of mind", but I don't think that "peace of mind" is worth a 23% markup.

Best Buy is LUCKY to get my business. Based on my first price match experience with them, I was ready to forever swear them off and never go to their stores again.
Amazon had a LG 7600 TV (sold by Amazon) for $1200 last weekend. I didn't know Amazon had only one left...I would have pulled the trigger immediately if I knew that. However, I figured I could pick it up that day so I printed out the webpage and my cart and clearly labelled everything that pointed to the TV's price to get the TV from Best Buy vs waiting 2 days to get it. Five different Best Buy managers could not find the TV on the Amazon site, and basically told me Amazon's site was hard to maneuver because they list other sellers. They decided to not honor the price match despite the fact I had the site on my IPAD's browser cache and had a printout.

I have no sympathy for Best Buy.
That said, because of this site, I did help Best Buy's bottom line. I bought a 65" VT50 because someone pointed to a Best Buy that price matched the TV. I also used East Coast TVs to get a ES800 LED. Both price matched over the phone, instead of in-person.. Because of them being a responcible retailer they went from getting a $1200 sale to zero to $4300 (because a BBY manager decided to price match).

Best Buy is on thin ice, and they should innovate or go the way of CC.
post #1091 of 2673 Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 AM

Liked: 14
from amazon review:

This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST50 55-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV (Electronics)
I replaced a 5 year old 50" Panasonic plasma, a great TV, that was damaged by a lighting strike. Sports motion performance is a priority and plasma TVs with 600hz motion processors are the best available. I looked at both Panasonic and Samsung, both good TVs but Panasonic still leads in plasma. I researched the TC-P55ST50 and found a very highly rated TV. This TV is OUTSTANDING. Excellent performance and value. The 3D, which I did not really want, is sharp. Don't buy the Panasonic 3D glasses, buy the Samsung SSG-4100GB 3D Active Glasses for $18 on amazon, they perform well. WiFi functions fast and effective. Buy this TV with confidence.
deucedown likes this.
post #1092 of 2673 Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Why did you post this user review here and for what purpose? Seems pretty random so there must be some particular point your getting across by posting this one. confused.gif

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #1093 of 2673 Old 11-26-2012, 02:50 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm both disappointed and relieved there were no amazing deals today. If it was ridiculously low, I would have purchased one today. I realize the big sales are around Superbowl but at that point I might as well weight for the VT60.
one321 likes this.
post #1094 of 2673 Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by msr999 View Post

Unfortunately this tV doesn't come with any 3d glasses. Any suggestions and deals on 3D glasses? Thanks

From great actual user reviews I have read and their price point - I would suggest the 3Active from Dimensional Optics are a great choice.

http://www.dimensionaloptics.com/Search.aspx?l=00010001000100090000
post #1095 of 2673 Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noworriesinmd View Post

Apple is special, but I consider them special because they created a new market. In a few years, it will be hard for them to continue to price tablets unreasonably. The Ipad mini proves that.

I totally disagree with your assessment of Apple's pricing and business standard. I have been using Apple/Mac since they introduced the first business desktop publishing Mac SE in 1987. Apple uses a very specific business psychology - "We are special, and you must have one" - it has worked since day one, and it will always work. Here is our (fill in the blank) - it costs $X and not a penny less - you want it - buy it... and people do - by the droves. The iPad Mini is just a bad idea - period. People buy the iPad instead - mainly cause "my friends have the iPad" - they don't wanna seem like the odd man out with a cheap Mini. It is not any reflection on their business model.
post #1096 of 2673 Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:

My experience with best buy @ lewisville was not very different. They bluntly said that they'd not pricematch as they wished to stay in business, and $1625 was below their cost. Wonder how other best buy locations are matching that price then! I didn't say anything ... just smiled and left. It looks like the managers are given the authority to either pricematch or not depending upon their discretion. If bestbuy had a policy stating that they'd pricematch only authorised online dealers, i'd not have a problem. Its the haphazard way this new policy is being implemented that irritates me ... that's all smile.gif
post #1097 of 2673 Old 11-26-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonix View Post

My experience with best buy @ lewisville was not very different. They bluntly said that they'd not pricematch as they wished to stay in business, and $1625 was below their cost. Wonder how other best buy locations are matching that price then! I didn't say anything ... just smiled and left. It looks like the managers are given the authority to either pricematch or not depending upon their discretion. If bestbuy had a policy stating that they'd pricematch only authorised online dealers, i'd not have a problem. Its the haphazard way this new policy is being implemented that irritates me ... that's all smile.gif

The policy does state that only authorized national retailers should be matched. There is discretion given to managers, which you cannot completely eliminate.

To pose a hypothetical, what would you do? Clearly there is value in what Best Buy provides, otherwise I imagine you would just order from Amazon. Is there a specific way you would try to handle it? What would you consider fair? The industry cannot sustain this race to the bottom, Amazon included. Asking this honestly. Not trying to be confrontational.

post #1098 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Why did you post this user review here and for what purpose? Seems pretty random so there must be some particular point your getting across by posting this one. confused.gif

I was trying to help someone who had mentioned seeing a reference to cheaper 3D glasses.

can't find their post now. hmmmmm...........maybe it was editted??
post #1099 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM

Liked: 28
I'm going to be trying this pricematch with Best Buy in the Seattle, WA area this week. I have a buyer for my Pioneer Elite 50" PRO-110 Kuro now and am looking forward to upgrading to the 65VT50. I spent last night moving each of the cabinets that flank the TV wall mount 5.5" to accommodate the new TV. Unfortunately none of my local BB's (and there are over a dozen) currently have the 65VT50 in stock so I'll need to get it ordered with delivery (suck). I have over $1300 in Reward Zone money, and would prefer to spend it rather than cash out of pocket.

post #1100 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM

I emailed two of my local BB's and got responses from both. It was poor timing on my part because of black friday and everything. Both were willing to work with me and I decided to go into the store yesterday and try my luck.

This particular location was extremely busy, only 2-3 people in the home theater area and a line of people waiting. I finally got to talk to someone about the price match and showed them buytv website and the first thing out of the persons mouth was that it didnt include shipping cost and they would need to include that in the price to price match it. I showed them eastcoasttv which had free shipping for $2799 and they agreed to use that price and right when I thought we were all set, a different manager came in and I'm not sure what she said, but she apologized and asked if I could come back tomorrow because of cyber monday deals and their system throws up a lot of red flags on price matches on cyber monday, and so on. I said I'm ok with it as long as I don't have to go through the whole discussion again.

So I check my email this morning, and the general manager of that location emailed me and apologized for not getting back to me quicker since they were so busy. He responded in his email that they would price match the $2599 price and that he was ok with it. I just printed off his email and will be taking it with me to the store. Turns out that manager I ran into yesterday just saved me $200 by telling me they didn't want to price match on cyber monday.

I'm going to be heading to the store in about 2 hours, email in hand.
post #1101 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 PM

Stokes, where are you located?

post #1102 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM

Eastern Iowa.
post #1103 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:

The policy does state that only authorized national retailers should be matched. There is discretion given to managers, which you cannot completely eliminate.
To pose a hypothetical, what would you do? Clearly there is value in what Best Buy provides, otherwise I imagine you would just order from Amazon. Is there a specific way you would try to handle it? What would you consider fair? The industry cannot sustain this race to the bottom, Amazon included. Asking this honestly. Not trying to be confrontational.

I understand where you are coming from. My issue is the uneven implementation of this price match policy. I like the vt50, and would love to buy at the price seen online. And when i read that some have been able to get BB to pricematch this price, but others have not, i feel that its a matter of luck. I don't particularly feel great knowing that i'm being asked to pay $600 more than someone else who bought it from the same company owned store - and its not like each store is franchisee owned where policies can differ depending upon the owner. If there is a company wide policy, then there has to be clear instructions passed down to the managers.
post #1104 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 PM

What in the world are you guys doing to get 65VT50s at Best Buy for as low as $2449?
post #1105 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 PM

On Saturday, BestBuy in Princeton NJ price matched a 55VT50 for me @ $1827

They were the first place I called, and gave me no issues at all. Asked what TV I wanted, what price and said no problem, come on down.
post #1106 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc753 View Post

What in the world are you guys doing to get 65VT50s at Best Buy for as low as $2449?

I listed my story in my couple previous posts. Check those out. Long story so not going to retype lol.
post #1107 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

I listed my story in my couple previous posts. Check those out. Long story so not going to retype lol.

I've read all your posts. biggrin.gif Looks like you basically emailed the general managers at a few of your local Best Buys asking them to price match the buytvtoday.com $2599 price. They made a mistake and rang it up for $2499 though. Pretty sweet. One other member said a manager emailed him offering a $2449 price. I wonder what price they were matching to get that deal?
post #1108 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc753 View Post

I've read all your posts. biggrin.gif Looks like you basically emailed the general managers at a few of your local Best Buys asking them to price match the buytvtoday.com $2599 price. They made a mistake and rang it up for $2499 though. Pretty sweet. One other member said a manager emailed him offering a $2449 price. I wonder what price they were matching to get that deal?

Ya I'm not sure what he did but you got my story right. I had a smart card $50 discount that brought it down from $2499 to $2449 and I went back and forth with the sales guys to get them to include the glasses and Avatar 3D blu ray biggrin.gif
post #1109 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 PM

Went back in to BB and took the email with me from their GM saying he would match the 2599 price and it was all done after about 15 minutes. They are not a magnolia store and so they had to order it and it comes on the 2nd. Also got free delivery and installation it looks like on the recipt.
post #1110 of 2673 Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post

I'm going to be trying this pricematch with Best Buy in the Seattle, WA area this week. I have a buyer for my Pioneer Elite 50" PRO-110 Kuro now and am looking forward to upgrading to the 65VT50. I spent last night moving each of the cabinets that flank the TV wall mount 5.5" to accommodate the new TV. Unfortunately none of my local BB's (and there are over a dozen) currently have the 65VT50 in stock so I'll need to get it ordered with delivery (suck). I have over $1300 in Reward Zone money, and would prefer to spend it rather than cash out of pocket.

I say good sir, woot indeed. I went to BB and was able to PM without any problems whatsoever to the BuyTVToday.com price of $2600. Told the sales guy what TV I wanted, let him know I needed to pricematch. Gave him a printout of the website. He checked it out online and said instantly that it would not be a problem. Set up the pickup at the warehouse for tomorrow as the store was out (warehouse is 10 minutes from the BB store). Manager came over to do the price override and didn't bat an eye. Added $880 in rewards certificates. After tax they charged me just under $1900, which is exactly what I'm getting for my Kuro. So after all is said and done it cost me exactly $0 out of pocket and I only had to pay the tax on the $1720. I am one happy guy. I may not have gotten the lowest price and I did pay tax, but I'm very happy with what I actually paid. Do I win? smile.gif

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page