Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarney View Post

Hmm, I wonder if there's anyway for Amazon to price match that if they call and verify... I have $778 in gift cards over at Amazon and was about to pull the trigger on a price matched 50GT50 at $999 but boy if I could get a 55VT50 for $1500 that would rock....

Amazon price matched this Paul's TV deal for me.

I filled out the online price match form and gave them the link to the TV.

In the comments box I gave them the link to the coupon code page and told them that the code save400 applied to the 55vt50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingbears View Post

I was debating if I should take it back or deal with it but it was bothering me spending so much on a tv. The optical audio seems really easy to crack compared to other tvs I've had.

Mine is cracked too. Bought mine from BB less than 60 days ago where I became a Silver Rewards memeber the time of purchase because my total was over $2500. Can anybody tell me does that entitle me to 60 days of price matching AND return for full refund or just 30 days of return?

Really, I don't want to return the TV at all, I just want to swap it for one that doesn't have the optical plug cracked.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUPPPP View Post

my optical audio out is cracked too! the cord won't stay in any more.

Quote:

The optical audio seems really easy to crack compared to other tvs I've had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhowes View Post

Mine is cracked too.

Hi all, was going to get the 65VT but with three members with cracked optical port I may stay away. Anyone have a pic to show the broken optical out port?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi all, was going to get the 65VT but with three members with cracked optical port I may stay away. Anyone have a pic to show the broken optical out port?

Don't know if I'd stay away because of this. Could just be a coincidence. It hasn't been known as an issue the whole year while tens of thousands of these have been sold. Something to be mindful of I guess, but it seems a shame to dismiss this set because of a few optical jack mishaps. As I recommended earlier if you get a bad one, you should exchange it, but that's it.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Don't know if I'd stay away because of this. Could just be a coincidence. It hasn't been known as an issue the whole year while tens of thousands of these have been sold. Something to be mindful of I guess, but it seems a shame to dismiss this set because of a few optical jack mishaps. As I recommended earlier if you get a bad one, you should exchange it, but that's it.

Curious if maybe it's extreme cold shipping and then plugging everything in once you've unpacked it but not using it until it warms up? Everyone connect stuff right away or did you leave it in the box to reach room temp first?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:

Mine is cracked too. Bought mine from BB less than 60 days ago where I became a Silver Rewards memeber the time of purchase because my total was over $2500. Can anybody tell me does that entitle me to 60 days of price matching AND return for full refund or just 30 days of return?

Really, I don't want to return the TV at all, I just want to swap it for one that doesn't have the optical plug cracked.

Thanks!

I called up BB reward zone and the answer they gave me, or at least my understanding is the silver reward benefits only apply to items purchased AFTER you obtain the silver level. That scenario happened to me where my TV purchase gave me silver status. If you find out differently please let me know, but it was my understanding is its only for purchases AFTER obtaining silver level.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

This may seem simplistic, but I'm just trying to help.
Why not take the optical feed from the source material? Toslink cords are very inexpensive. In some cases, that source may already be in use, but "Y" splitters are available.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondbacvenomx View Post

I called up BB reward zone and the answer they gave me, or at least my understanding is the silver reward benefits only apply to items purchased AFTER you obtain the silver level. That scenario happened to me where my TV purchase gave me silver status. If you find out differently please let me know, but it was my understanding is its only for purchases AFTER obtaining silver level.

This is true.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:

This is true.
So, does this mean that if you joined rewards zone when you purchased the TV (and the VT50 gave you the silver status) that you only have the 30 day price match guarantee on the TV instead of the 60 days?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

This may seem simplistic, but I'm just trying to help.
Why not take the optical feed from the source material? Toslink cords are very inexpensive. In some cases, that source may already be in use, but "Y" splitters are available.

But there are cases when the source of the optical feed is the TV itself, i.e., when you watch the OTA HD channels. But I agree with Speakerphile and I would not dismiss this set just because of these three incidents. Use some caution when plugging in the Toslink cord - sometime it is not easy to be correctly plugged in. If you don't want to exchange the entire TV for this, you may just want to get in-home warranty service to have the port repaired. It should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMac View Post

Quote:

This is true.
So, does this mean that if you joined rewards zone when you purchased the TV (and the VT50 gave you the silver status) that you only have the 30 price match guarantee on the TV instead of the 60 days?

See post 9036: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408338/official-panasonic-vt50-owners-thread/9000_50#post_22807583

You achieve Premier Silver status when you qualify, not when you make the 2500th dollar of purchases.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 AM

Well, that sucks. So much for continuing to track prices (I purchased on 12/31). Thanks for the info.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
I think other people are right. I think you have to be silver member at the time of purchase. I think I actually cracked mine plugging in the toslink the wrong way, but it seems like its not made well to have that happen. The optical on my old Sony Bravia is solid, but I would not let this be a deciding factor in purchasing the tv. Just use caution in plugging in toslink. By the way, for anyone still looking for a deal on the 65vt50, buy tv today has it for $2349, BB might match this price.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMac View Post

Well, that sucks. So much for continuing to track prices (I purchased on 12/31). Thanks for the info.

Oh, don't do that! smile.gif

I purchased on 12/29 and I just got another price match (my fourth since purchasing, which itself was a significant price match) on 02/05. I wasn't asked about my RZ status at all and I don't know that it was checked. It's worth a shot.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 AM

I should add that I am giving my interpretation of the Reward Zone Premier Silver status qualification based on what I've read on the RZ site. But I'll also add that I find the rules somewhat vague and IMO open to other interpretation regarding when one qualifies. I'd suggest that people contact a RZ support person to get the official membership rules from BB.

There is a data point to suggest that my interpretation is wrong. Per my understanding, I qualified when sufficient points from a 12/2012 purchase posted to my account this week. Per the rules then, if I don't remain qualified for PS status, it should expire in Feb of the third year, or 02/15. But the RZ site shows my status expiring in 02/14, suggesting I really qualified for PS status in 2012, or when I made my =>$2500 in purchases.

There. I've either helped or really muddied the waters. Back to talking about deals. wink.gif
Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Liked: 11
As I've posted here, I received my 65" PT50 from Paul's this past Monday. The entire process of working with Paul's to the set arriving was a great experience. I just want to add that I am so loving this TV. All the great reviews about this TV make a lot more sense to me now that it's in my own space and I can enjoy it. For those getting the 55", you may really want to consider the 65". At the blowout prices we are seeing now that 2012 is over, if you can swing it, the difference is huge. I'm using THX Cinema and find that the best out of the box setting for me personally. The THX bright is way too bright for my taste. Rock on. -CC
Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:

This is true.

I don't understand then...this is all in direct contradiction of what I was told at the time of purchase.

I'm calling them right now.

Just got off the phone with BB RZ customer service and this is what I found out:

Just scheduled my free calibration that I was entitled to at the time of TV purchase, (because I spent over $2500 at the time of purchase which made me a silver rewards zone member).

As a silver rewards member I'm also entitled to 60 days of return of the TV from the original date of purchase.

As a silver rewards memeber I'm also entitled to 60 days of price matching from the original date of purchase.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 51

GOOD for you, and that means ME too!smile.gif

Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarney View Post

Curious if maybe it's extreme cold shipping and then plugging everything in once you've unpacked it but not using it until it warms up? Everyone connect stuff right away or did you leave it in the box to reach room temp first?

Mine sat in the box all night. I don't think I could have the will-power to connect everything and NOT plug it in and turn it on! smile.gif

I'm considering taking the 55" back and getting the 65". Are there any technical advangates to it? more imputs? anything I should know?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Liked: 14
Speaking of which, what is too cold? I should be taking delivery in about a week or two, temps have been around 45F in the days... Would that be too cold? How do I handle accepting delivery without testing the device?

Also, its going downstairs, I've got someone that can help me carry it down and assemble it but if amazon just delivers it to an upstairs room are they going to still want to open it and plug it in to test if I don't have a suitable place? (Empty entertainment system, etc)

I've never taken delivery of something like this before and I'm not sure exactly the process.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Mine sat in the box all night. I don't think I could have the will-power to connect everything and NOT plug it in and turn it on! smile.gif

I'm considering taking the 55" back and getting the 65". Are there any technical advangates to it? more imputs? anything I should know?

Thanks,

Brian

No technical advantages... all the same specs aside from the speakers.
They are larger on the 65 inch (100mm on 65" and 80mm on 55").. but hopefully you'll be using a surround sound setup
I really think it depends on the viewing distance you will be at to decide which size is best for you.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:

I don't understand then...this is all in direct contradiction of what I was told at the time of purchase.

Just got off the phone with BB RZ customer service and this is what I found out:

Just scheduled my free calibration that I was entitled to at the time of TV purchase, (because I spent over $2500 at the time of purchase which made me a silver rewards zone member).

As a silver rewards member I'm also entitled to 60 days of return of the TV from the original date of purchase.

As a silver rewards memeber I'm also entitled to 60 days of price matching from the original date of purchase.

Yep, was able to return the ES8000 roughly 45 days after purchase due to becoming a silver rewards member from purchasing the set.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softchewy View Post

No technical advantages... all the same specs aside from the speakers.
They are larger on the 65 inch (100mm on 65" and 80mm on 55").. but hopefully you'll be using a surround sound setup
I really think it depends on the viewing distance you will be at to decide which size is best for you.

Quote:

Thanks,

Brian

fyi.. I have the 65VT50 and the 60GT50 right next to each other in the same room right now.
The VT is going back today - mostly for cost/size reasons.. $800+ difference dropping down to 60GT50.
65TV50 = $2425+tax, 60GT50 = $1699 + tax from BB
The 60" is big enough for my room size (approx 21' x 13.5') and viewing distance (approx 14').
I am also putting it on the wall with a mount that can extend about 18" off the wall if I want to bring the viewing distance a little closer.
Honestly, I have tested and adjusted both TVs (just finished the prep slides on the GT) and the image quality is not noticeably different.
I can't see paying the upcharge for for the minimally better filter and 96hz 24p (which is fairly useless since 60hz looks better - no flicker)..
Maybe if you are going for a real calibration and even then, there will not be any significant difference in PQ.
You may want to think about the GT if price is a consideration.
As far as aesthetics, I actually prefer the thinner silver trim of the GT50.
The bezel on the VT50 is less reflective (one sheet of glass design) than the GT50 (which has a fairly reflective bezel - Panny prob should have made it flat black instead of glossy).
Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:

I think other people are right. I think you have to be silver member at the time of purchase. I think I actually cracked mine plugging in the toslink the wrong way, but it seems like its not made well to have that happen. The optical on my old Sony Bravia is solid, but I would not let this be a deciding factor in purchasing the tv. Just use caution in plugging in toslink. By the way, for anyone still looking for a deal on the 65vt50, buy tv today has it for $2349, BB might match this price.

Think I jinxed myself... Was reading this thread earlier today and saw the posts about the optical audio input cracking...
I had both a 65VT50 and 60GT50 side by side in my living room... BB came to pick up the 65VT50 (I returned it to save $800, the 60 is big enough for my room, and there is hardly a discernible difference in picture quality between the two).
Anyway, moved the 60GT50 over after BB took away the VT50 and must have put a little tension on the optical cable.. and bam the plastic connection on the TV cracked.
It is a pretty flimsy design... I am not returning it though... just finished the break in slides and see no dead pixels, lines or buzzing.
My fix.. 2 pieces of electrical tape holding the cable in and it is working fine. Once I get a new receiver, I prob won't be using the optical out from the TV anyway
The 65VT50 had 1 dead pixel and another that couldn't display red (if I remember right)
Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I have my tv on an articulating mount, and I'm sure what happened is that the cord was too taught when I pulled the TV away from the wall, and instead of the wire simply coming out, it pulled out and cracked the back of the optical jack. The back part of the jack is about 0.1mm thick plastic, and seems to be really easy to break if the cable is pulled on at all. I wouldn't not recommend this tv because of this--I would just be mindful of this problem so it doesn't happen to you.

I couldn't figure out why my plug wouldn't stay in, and it had to look real closely to see the crack in the back of the jack. A picture wouldn't really show much to you.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenarek View Post

Amazon price matched this Paul's TV deal for me.

I filled out the online price match form and gave them the link to the TV.

In the comments box I gave them the link to the coupon code page and told them that the code save400 applied to the 55vt50.

Did you buy the TV from amazon first, then request a refund for the diff? Or did you just pay the lower amount?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM

Looks like I debated size too long and the Paul's deal is dead. If another deal like that pops up I'm pulling the trigger on a 55".
Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastchancerecs View Post

Looks like I debated size too long and the Paul's deal is dead. If another deal like that pops up I'm pulling the trigger on a 55".

Hi lastchancerecs, 65VT still show 2499.99 using SAVE500 and 65GT is 2199.99 using SAVE300.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"A Reward Zone program member qualifies for Premier Silver status approximately 35 days after the member spends a total of $2500 on qualifying purchases "

This is according to the terms. When did you make the purchase that put you over $2500?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"A Reward Zone program member qualifies for Premier Silver status approximately 35 days after the member spends a total of $2500 on qualifying purchases "

This is according to the terms. When did you make the purchase that put you over $2500?

December 28th, 2012. It appears that we're both right then? So by not being a Silver-classed RZ member I'm good to return it up until the 30th day. If I keep it past the 35th day (approx.) thru the 60th day I'm good to return it during that time period. It's the just the 30-35th day that remains in limbo? I can deal with that.

I'm headed back this weekend with the 55" and getting the 65". $2495 at Pauls still the best price I should be bringing them to price match?

Brian

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50