Panasonic VT50 Deals - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
lol white glove with no assembly is like furniture being delivered to your room of choice but still in the box not assembled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jterp7 View Post

lol white glove with no assembly is like furniture being delivered to your room of choice but still in the box not assembled.

True but the guidelines for the delivery are right there in black and white. If you want the plasma setup there is an additional charge. Not out of line if you ask me as the White Glove delivery is free for internet orders.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i understand that they do not assemble the stand/pedestal, but at least remove the damned tv from the box so i can inspect the entire thing. showing up 3 hours before the scheduled time frame isnt exactly great business practice either especially because i specifically asked that they came later
Old 03-04-2013, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
yeah it's stories like Fyre's and others that make me really nervous about ordering online. What's worse is that Pauls is supposed to be one of the better ones.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:05 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jterp7 View Post

Kind of reminds me of the free "ISF-certified" calibration the Goofballs give their Silver Rewards Members. Of course it's a calibration that doesn't actually use any of the ISF menus, and the results look like one of my sister's kids got a hold of the remote, but it is done by an "ISF-certified" installer.

"White Glove" and "ISF-Certified" are just words describing a free service. I don't think expectations should be very high.

FWIW - the 3rd party company that delivered my TV from Paul's showed up exactly as scheduled.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:46 PM

My TV was delivered by the "Goofballs" and they were on time, friendly, courteous and professional. They unpacked my TV, mounted it on the pedestal, set it up on my stand, programmed it and set it to one of the THX modes. We chatted about video and audio and they were both quite knowledgeable. I have nothing but praise for the two Best Buy employees who delivered my TV.

I plan on taking advantage of my free BB calibration. Maybe it'll be okay and maybe it will not. If I don't like the result, I'll change it.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumpwitch View Post

Kind of reminds me of the free "ISF-certified" calibration the Goofballs give their Silver Rewards Members. Of course it's a calibration that doesn't actually use any of the ISF menus, and the results look like one of my sister's kids got a hold of the remote, but it is done by an "ISF-certified" installer.

"White Glove" and "ISF-Certified" are just words describing a free service. I don't think expectations should be very high.

FWIW - the 3rd party company that delivered my TV from Paul's showed up exactly as scheduled.

Not that you will consider my opinion valid, but I don't really think it is the same thing. The calibration is a paid service they are giving you for free. It is an ISF certified calibration. The installers refused to wear the gloves...

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Not that you will consider my opinion valid, but I don't really think it is the same thing. The calibration is a paid service they are giving you for free. It is an ISF certified calibration. The installers refused to wear the gloves...
I think that your opinion is as valid as any other on here, exception being some of the "pros/vets" whose opinions might carry more weight. Certainly every bit as valid as mine.

Maybe I was using a bad example so that I could get in some BB bashing, but the point I was trying to make is that I don't think the expectation should be the same for a free service from one company as the expectation is for a paid service from a different company.

Paul's (free) and BB (paid) have different definitions of "white-glove", just like BB (comped) and other calibrators (paid) have different definitions of "ISF-Certified Calibration". I think the expectations of the services should also be different then. Does anybody doubt that if you were to offer the delivery guys 50 bucks extra to put it on the stand that they wouldn't do it? That's what it would cost you from BB.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Does anybody doubt that if you were to offer the delivery guys 50 bucks extra to put it on the stand that they wouldn't do it? That's what it would cost you from BB.

No it wouldn't. My BB delivery was free and all the work I described above was done by the delivery guys without any tipping involved.

Have you ever had a BB delivery or TV calibration done?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

I think that your opinion is as valid as any other on here, exception being some of the "pros/vets" whose opinions might carry more weight. Certainly every bit as valid as mine.

Maybe I was using a bad example so that I could get in some BB bashing, but the point I was trying to make is that I don't think the expectation should be the same for a free service from one company as the expectation is for a paid service from a different company.

Paul's (free) and BB (paid) have different definitions of "white-glove", just like BB (comped) and other calibrators (paid) have different definitions of "ISF-Certified Calibration". I think the expectations of the services should also be different then. Does anybody doubt that if you were to offer the delivery guys 50 bucks extra to put it on the stand that they wouldn't do it? That's what it would cost you from BB.

I feel that if the description of said service is the same, the service should be the same. If you were to ask Best Buy to describe what their service entails, it would likely be quite different than what a pro calibrator would describe. It is also quite a bit less expensive. For the record, the "free" calibration is not different than what a customer would get if they paid for it. A name is just a name, unless it materially mis-represents the service. In this case, Paul's did perform the service as they described. My beef is that calling that service white-glove is mis-representing what white-glove is widely accepted as being. It is just cheap marketing being prioritized over customer service.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrhall View Post

No it wouldn't. My BB delivery was free and all the work I described above was done by the delivery guys without any tipping involved.

Had two VT50 deliveries from BB (had to exchange first one). The first time, they didn't even want to wait for me to take off the box to check the unit. The second time, they took the unit out of the box and installed it on the stand without me even asking. Unless the same two/three people are making every single delivery, YMMV regardless of which store you bought it from.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 AM

I quite agree and YMMV whether a service is paid for or not. If it's paid, at least you have leverage to demand for what you paid. Your second experience matches mine...I got a TV unpacked and mounted on the stand by BB employees without having to request it or pay for it. I got exactly what BB's web site claimed I would get and more:

"Our delivery service includes delivery into the room of your choice. We will unpack the item and, if requested, dispose of the packaging. For an additional cost, we can install home entertainment components, appliances, mobile electronics and computer upgrades."

They also state:
"At the time of delivery, we will remove and recycle old item(s) for free. This is done on a one-for-one basis. For example, if you are having a new refrigerator delivered, we will remove one refrigerator from your home and recycle it."

I got that too, without having to ask or pay for it.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrhall View Post

Both my mother and my sister had to pay BB $50 to have their TV's delivered and put on the stand. Maybe because they are not Silver Rewards members? The delivery was on-time, and they set the tv right where both my mom and sister wanted it. Both of them were very happy with the experience. It did cost them 50 bucks though.

My mother was offered a free BB calibration after I discovered that they delivered the wrong TV (it's a long story). The result wasn't as horrible as letting the kids play with the remote, but she did end up paying for another calibration from a different person.

Welp, now that I have successfully sidetracked the crap out of this thread - I will try to get it back on point.

If you can't get the same out the door price from BB, Paul's is a reliable option. Just take into account that any savings comes at the cost of having to put the tv on the stand yourself or tip/bribe the delivery guys to help you.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Both my mother and my sister had to pay BB $50 to have their TV's delivered and put on the stand. Maybe because they are not Silver Rewards members? The delivery was on-time, and they set the tv right where both my mom and sister wanted it. Both of them were very happy with the experience. It did cost them 50 bucks though.
Do you mean they had to pay $50 for delivery at time of purchase, or the delivery guys demanded $50 before they would mount and place the TVs? If the former, and it was recent (I don't know how long the current delivery terms have been in place), they didn't get what was promised from BB and I'd be on the phone complaining big time. If the latter, the delivery guys extorted your mother and sister and...well...again, I'd be on the phone. That sucks...I think they got hosed. BTW, I wasn't a Silver Rewards member when I bought my TV either.
Quote:
My mother was offered a free BB calibration after I discovered that they delivered the wrong TV (it's a long story). The result wasn't as horrible as letting the kids play with the remote, but she did end up paying for another calibration from a different person.
I'm quite curious to see what an "ISF-Certified" TV calibration from BB is going to get me. There are a lot of horror stories about them here...and a few are from people who've actually had them done. wink.gif

But as I mentioned previously, if I don't like it, I'll change it back to what I'm running now, which is somebody else's calibration settings that they posted and which look pleasing to me. And maybe some day I'll pay some other ISF calibrator to adjust my TV.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Pauls is sold out of 65" VT50's as of a few minutes ago.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastchancerecs View Post

Ha, I just saw that too.... looks like the number of retailers is dropping as the weeks go by. I know Abt.com ran out a month ago.

Now the best price that I know of, and BB should match, is at CDW for $2818.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM

They had to pay $50 at time of purchase. BB would have delivered the TV for free, but getting it set-up on the stand and hooked up to the source was charged at time of purchase as an "Installation" fee.

My sister bought her TV in 2/12 and my mom in 4/12 so maybe their policy is different now.

The Magnolia store here literally dared me to use Paul's because they are a "shady internet site" (despite being listed on Panasonic's website) and I'd be lucky if the TV ever showed up - this was a salesman not a manager BTW. Managers from both stores I visited said they would not PM Paul's though. The best my local stores would do is 2799 plus tax.

So for me, when I look at the $500 plus incl. tax that I saved using Paul's - anything more than leaving the TV in the yard is considered a victory regardless of the adjectives used to describe the service.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM

Have been reading this thread for about 3 weeks now and want to thank everyone for all of the great help. Purchased my 65 VT-50 from Best Buy on Sunday with a price match from Paul's. $2,499 plus Minnesota tax. Delivery is this Saturday. My seating area is about 9.5 feet from the set. I am hoping this will be OK?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastchancerecs View Post

Man, I was riding the sideline then BAM, gone. I got off my but and grabbed one from Cleveland Plasma, only other good price (except for ebay) I could find. Can't wait for delivery.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
Old 03-06-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwareMe View Post

Had two VT50 deliveries from BB (had to exchange first one). The first time, they didn't even want to wait for me to take off the box to check the unit. The second time, they took the unit out of the box and installed it on the stand without me even asking. Unless the same two/three people are making every single delivery, YMMV regardless of which store you bought it from.

Bingo - YMMV - not just with BB or Paul's, but with any major delivery. Furniture, appliances, TV's, etc. I have recently purchased new furniture which required 2 deliveries from the same retailer. The difference in each delivery was night and day! One set of delivery guys were horrible, damaged the furniture and cause some damage to my house! The other set of delivery guys were 2 of the most professional and pre cautious movers I have ever witnessed (even moreso than myself!). Note - not only did I spend several hours, days even, phone cals and e-mails escalating the problems with the nightmare experience to corporate - I did not quit until all damaged furniture was replaced and a settlement check was issued for home damage and inconveniences!

Sorry for the sidetrack - back to BB delivery guys. I had the free delivery, and without asking the guys unboxed and mounted it on the stand for me. They were not so nice but not unpleasant either. I asked if they would dispose of the packaging but they suggested I might want to keep it in case I decide to return (so I agreed). There was no white glove - I spent a good 20 minutes cleaning off all their hand prints and finger prints from the sides and top and bottom of the panel with a very soft microfiber cloth. Finally I noticed a little scratch on the side of the TV (not the actual display) - I mentioned to the store and they offered to return and replace, but for me it was not worth it as the scratch is not so noticeable and I got a good TV that doesn't buzz or have the broken digital audio jack so I didn't want to take a chance swapping out for something worse. So that was my experience, and could not agree more with YMMV!! Good luck to all you guys still pending deliveries!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What exactly has been the issue with the broken digital audio jack?

Murray Kerdman
Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Man, I was riding the sideline then BAM, gone. I got off my but and grabbed one from Cleveland Plasma, only other good price (except for ebay) I could find. Can't wait for delivery.

Good find with Cleveland Plasma, they didn't have it when I was searching weeks ago. Let us know the experience with the shipping.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post

Good find with Cleveland Plasma, they didn't have it when I was searching weeks ago. Let us know the experience with the shipping.

They have had great communication so far, its nice actually being able to talk with someone who owns the business! Hopefully it arrives Friday with no dings.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
Old 03-06-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

What exactly has been the issue with the broken digital audio jack?

mkerdman -

I found (excuse me, Goose, sorry...) *We* have found that Panasonic's optical port on the bottom of the VT50 (regardless of size) is fragile. If aftre insertion, the cable is jerked in any other direction other than straight out, the port becomes cracked. That is to say, the housing is cracked. The end result is that your optical cable will not 'stay' inside the port. Some folks have super-glued their optical port into place... I was in plenty of return to store for full refund at the time I noticed mine was cracked that I just took it back and upgraded to the 65" and have been VERY careful when 'playing' with those connections back in that corner ever since. It's basically a bad design. It's too bad we can't get a Panasonic rep to view these forums periodically so we can voice our concerns to them. Anyway, that's the deal.

One final note of mention, in anybody that has said "I have the problem..." I have not heard anybody say that the port is dead at that point. It's just the cable will no longer hold as nicely as it did prior.

Hope this helps,

Brian
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Would like to get some feedback on my 65" VT50 situation with Best Buy. I purchased the TV 3 weeks ago, but had to go on vacation so scheduled the delivery last week. Turns out the TV that was delivered to the warehouse was an open box item so my brand new TV wasn't available to deliver. They gave me that open box TV as a loaner until a new TV came in.

Now they are saying that Best Buy has zero inventory of the 65" VT50 and the only option they have is a TV that was just returned to the store 2 weeks ago and has been on display in the store during that time. They said that the TV was never opened by the original buyer, that he just had buyer's remorse. I had previously negotiated the price to $2,379 when I purchased the TV, and they said they would knock the open box TV price down to $2,100 and throw in a pair of Panasonic 3D glasses.

So the question is does this deal sound alright? I'm a little nervous that the reason the original buyer returned the TV isn't what they are telling me, but they've had it running for 2 weeks with no problems and he said the TV looks perfect. I also can still return it during the 15 day return policy. Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhowes View Post

mkerdman -

I found (excuse me, Goose, sorry...) *We* have found that Panasonic's optical port on the bottom of the VT50 (regardless of size) is fragile. If aftre insertion, the cable is jerked in any other direction other than straight out, the port becomes cracked. That is to say, the housing is cracked. The end result is that your optical cable will not 'stay' inside the port. Some folks have super-glued their optical port into place... I was in plenty of return to store for full refund at the time I noticed mine was cracked that I just took it back and upgraded to the 65" and have been VERY careful when 'playing' with those connections back in that corner ever since. It's basically a bad design. It's too bad we can't get a Panasonic rep to view these forums periodically so we can voice our concerns to them. Anyway, that's the deal.

One final note of mention, in anybody that has said "I have the problem..." I have not heard anybody say that the port is dead at that point. It's just the cable will no longer hold as nicely as it did prior.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Thanks!!

Murray Kerdman
Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchmr View Post

Would like to get some feedback on my 65" VT50 situation with Best Buy. I purchased the TV 3 weeks ago, but had to go on vacation so scheduled the delivery last week. Turns out the TV that was delivered to the warehouse was an open box item so my brand new TV wasn't available to deliver. They gave me that open box TV as a loaner until a new TV came in.

Now they are saying that Best Buy has zero inventory of the 65" VT50 and the only option they have is a TV that was just returned to the store 2 weeks ago and has been on display in the store during that time. They said that the TV was never opened by the original buyer, that he just had buyer's remorse. I had previously negotiated the price to $2,379 when I purchased the TV, and they said they would knock the open box TV price down to $2,100 and throw in a pair of Panasonic 3D glasses.

So the question is does this deal sound alright? I'm a little nervous that the reason the original buyer returned the TV isn't what they are telling me, but they've had it running for 2 weeks with no problems and he said the TV looks perfect. I also can still return it during the 15 day return policy. Thoughts?
Ah, you stole it, enjoy it !! Slap a costo warranty on it for $99 if you like..........
Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Ah, you stole it, enjoy it !! Slap a costo warranty on it for $99 if you like..........

Ha, good way to look at it. $2,100 does seem like a pretty good deal for a TV that originally retailed at $3,700. Can you get the Costco warranty for TVs that weren't purchased there?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchmr View Post

Ha, good way to look at it. $2,100 does seem like a pretty good deal for a TV that originally retailed at $3,700. Can you get the Costco warranty for TVs that weren't purchased there?

yes, you just won't get the extra added year of coverage through costco. even if you arent a member of costco you can buy the warranty for a $5 surcharge. so total coverage will be 4 years instead of 5 years if it had been bought at costco.

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50