Getting afraid of plasmas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Want to seriously consider buying a new st50 Panasonic, but reading all these threads about calibrations and break in periods is starting to give me doubts. I'm all about having the right settings and breaking in new tvs, but some of this stuff is sounding too time consuming. I feel like if I don't follow all the calibration steps I won't get the most of the tv and it will be a waste of money.

Can someone ease my doubts about buying a plasma?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I bought a plasma several years ago, hung it on the wall in our bedroom, and started watching TV. No break-in, didn't calibrate, just have been enjoying it. No issues.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I bought a plasma several years ago, hung it on the wall in our bedroom, and started watching TV. No break-in, didn't calibrate, just have been enjoying it. No issues.

Ok. Cool thanks.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barana2080 View Post

Want to seriously consider buying a new st50 Panasonic, but reading all these threads about calibrations and break in periods is starting to give me doubts. I'm all about having the right settings and breaking in new tvs, but some of this stuff is sounding too time consuming. I feel like if I don't follow all the calibration steps I won't get the most of the tv and it will be a waste of money.

99.9% of people do not break-in or calibrate their set and never notice the difference. The manufactures do not require or even suggest it. This is purely extra steps that die-hard videophile hobbyists take to achieve as close to perfection as possible. And calibration would equally benefit an LCD/LED set too, so it's not a plasma thing.

The break-in, if you opt to do so, is no big deal. You download the slides in the link on this forum. It's basically just about 20 static color images. No real magic. It would fit on even the smallest USB flash thumb drive. You stick it in the USB slot on your TV and follow whatever your TV's instructions are for doing a slide show and set it to auto-repeat. Leave for work, turn it off before you go to bed. Repeat for a week. Done. Again, 99% of people don't bother. And their set doesn't explode or burn-in or look crappy or anything.

As for calibration, most people do well enough borrowing the settings freely posted on this site and perhaps slightly tweaking from there, or not.

Good luck.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

99.9% of people do not break-in or calibrate their set and never notice the difference. The manufactures do not require or even suggest it. This is purely extra steps that die-hard videophile hobbyists take to achieve as close to perfection as possible. And calibration would equally benefit an LCD/LED set too, so it's not a plasma thing.

The break-in, if you opt to do so, is no big deal. You download the slides in the link on this forum. It's basically just about 20 static color images. No real magic. It would fit on even the smallest USB flash thumb drive. You stick it in the USB slot on your TV and follow whatever your TV's instructions are for doing a slide show and set it to auto-repeat. Leave for work, turn it off before you go to bed. Repeat for a week. Done. Again, 99% of people don't bother. And their set doesn't explode or burn-in or look crappy or anything.

As for calibration, most people do well enough borrowing the settings freely posted on this site and perhaps slightly tweaking from there, or not.

Good luck.

Thank you. That's what I thought but want sure. Doubts eased.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barana2080 View Post

How is this a deal?
post #7 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

How is this a deal?

I know posted on wrong thread. But will help me seal the deal for my conscious.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 AM

Liked: 10
The reason people do the break in slides isn't to prevent burn-in or anything like that - it's to "warm up" the display so that it's displaying the picture as accurate as it's going to get. This occurs naturally over time, but this just speeds up the process. People will also do it so that they can accurately calibrate their picture (since if the display isn't properly broken in, they'll have to recalibrate later).
post #9 of 9 Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjconnor10 View Post

The reason people do the break in slides isn't to prevent burn-in or anything like that - it's to "warm up" the display so that it's displaying the picture as accurate as it's going to get. This occurs naturally over time, but this just speeds up the process. People will also do it so that they can accurately calibrate their picture (since if the display isn't properly broken in, they'll have to recalibrate later).

Got it . Thanks for the explanation, I thought it was to prevent the from functioning properly
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page