Buy 55ST30 with 4390 hours for $436? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased Panny P55ST30 at Target for $436 plus tax, display TV only, no remote, stand or wi-fi dongle. Using an older Panny remote, I was able to find out the TV had 4390 hours on it with 325 on/offs. Built date is May 2011. Should I keep it or return it? 4390 is A LOT of hours to me, I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

Also, where would a good place to buy a stand. And would this qualify for Panny's Extended warranty program?

Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2012, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj23jay_lin View Post

Just purchased Panny P55ST30 at Target for $436 plus tax, display TV only, no remote, stand or wi-fi dongle. Using an older Panny remote, I was able to find out the TV had 4390 hours on it with 325 on/offs. Built date is May 2011. Should I keep it or return it? 4390 is A LOT of hours to me, I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

Also, where would a good place to buy a stand. And would this qualify for Panny's Extended warranty program?

How does the picture look to you? Any signs of Image Retention, Green Blobs, or Pink Tint? (Try viewing the gray break-in slides - or, better yet, the Gray slides on the AVS disk.)

If you return it, what would you replace it with - and at what cost?

SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE probably has a stand for a broken 55" ST30 - problem might be in trying to find out who that is.
Would try an internet search - Ebay perhaps - but if unable to find anything, then look at the TV Stands that feature a Vertical Mounting option. Personally like that idea much better than hanging stuff on the wall - and some of those stands are quite reasonably priced (& look nice, to boot!).

The 5 Device Logitech Remote - think it is Model 650, with a color screen - is often On Sale, and works well.
Bit of a pain to get set up, but not Rocket Science...

Let alone an Extended Warranty - what did Target say about a Normal Warranty?

Does TARGET offer an Extended Warranty on the set?
post #3 of 5 Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 401
post #4 of 5 Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

How does the picture look to you? Any signs of Image Retention, Green Blobs, or Pink Tint? (Try viewing the gray break-in slides - or, better yet, the Gray slides on the AVS disk.)

If you return it, what would you replace it with - and at what cost?

SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE probably has a stand for a broken 55" ST30 - problem might be in trying to find out who that is.
Would try an internet search - Ebay perhaps - but if unable to find anything, then look at the TV Stands that feature a Vertical Mounting option. Personally like that idea much better than hanging stuff on the wall - and some of those stands are quite reasonably priced (& look nice, to boot!).

The 5 Device Logitech Remote - think it is Model 650, with a color screen - is often On Sale, and works well.
Bit of a pain to get set up, but not Rocket Science...

Let alone an Extended Warranty - what did Target say about a Normal Warranty?

Does TARGET offer an Extended Warranty on the set?

Thanks for the reply, the TV looks surprising good to me. Screen is uniform, didn't notice any green blobs or pink tint. Not IR at all which really surprised me! I think I noticed FBr, afraid to run the gray slides since FBr is something I was told best not to look for it. It has serial number with 1117, so I'll need a A Board swap to fix the FBr. Little worried since it's display model that Panny might decline to honor the warranty since it's got 4390 hours on it.

If i return it, I'll just use my old 2007 42" 720p Panny and wait for deal on ST50.

The lady works at Electronics says it doesn't qualify for extended warranty since it's open box clearance items. I'm thinking whether Panasonic Extended Warranty is better than Target's or not, since I don't really want to take the TV back and forth between Target and my house. And if Target can't fix it, they can just refund my money (which is not much) wheres Panasonic might send me another unit. I'm still debating.....

Thanks for the info!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

what a steel ! Add a extended warranty to the set if you are worried.......

Would Target extended warranty be better than Panasonic's?
Or should I just buy from Square Trade?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page