LG 60PA6550 at Sam's club - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-19-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sam's club has the LG 6550 (same as the 6500--warehouse version) for $998. If you are looking for a display without all the extra features (internet apps, 3D, etc) it is a pretty good set. All the reviews seem to be pretty good for the price. I have had mine for a few days now and I am very happy. For under a grand it's a steal IMO. The price is good until May 27.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
CostCo is selling the same model for $999.99.

Don't know what Sam's Club policies are, but CostCo includes a 2nd year warranty, and a 90-day return period.

And, if it makes you sleep better, they will sell a 3-year Sq Warranty at a very good price - even if you bought the tv elsewhere. (Must purchase within 60-days of buying your tv, per their literature.)
post #3 of 24 Old 05-19-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
We don't have a Costco in our area. I do believe one is coming this year or next though. That info is good to know. Thanks.

It was $1098 earlier in the week and now $998. I thought $1098 was pretty good considering Amazon and BB sell the 6500 for $1199. I think this tv is one if the best bargains out there.

post #4 of 24 Old 05-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

We don't have a Costco in our area. I do believe one is coming this year or next though. That info is good to know. Thanks.

It was $1098 earlier in the week and now $998. I thought $1098 was pretty good considering Amazon and BB sell the 6500 for $1199. I think this tv is one if the best bargains out there.

$1199 has been a pretty standard price for the 6500.

At $999 I agree with your opinion that it looks like a very nice bargain set.

Am impressed by the PA6550 every time I see it at CostCo: if we weren't So Darn Happy with our 60" ST50, would seriously think about taking one home!
post #5 of 24 Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 AM

Liked: 10
Just picked up the LG 60PA6550 at Sam's Club for $948.

The display model still had the $998 tag, but the tag on the shelf by the new boxes had the lower $948 price and that's what it rung up. Sam's on-line price is also showing the $948.

Mounted and set it up last night and out of the box it looked great for the end of the US Open Golf and the NBA FInals!! I turned down the Sharpness and Brightness to 55 and will look at some other settings this week !!

Looks like it will be a Great Display for our basic "Bedroom TV" !!

P.S....Should I consider the 2 Year Extended Warranty for $59 ??
post #6 of 24 Old 06-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beski View Post

Just picked up the LG 60PA6550 at Sam's Club for $948.,,,,
Looks like it will be a Great Display for our basic "Bedroom TV" !!
P.S....Should I consider the 2 Year Extended Warranty for $59 ??

A 60" panel ought to make for one heck of a "Bedroom TV!"

Would probably buy the 2nd year warranty - although, what is the Standard Warranty on the LG sets now?
(Perhaps 2 years on Just the actual panel itself?)

Would seem a bit like dirty pool, but CostCo has been selling a 3-year Square Trade warranty for $99 - or perhaps even less: think they have 3 price tiers, based upon the cost of the tv.

Have not been a big fan of extended warranties in the past, but at an additional cost of around 10% (or less...) of the purchase price - and given the apparent rush to the bottom in terms of quality control by the large CE companies - having something that covers beyond 1 year might add sufficient peace-of-mind to justify the cost...
post #7 of 24 Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 AM

Liked: 12
Can Anyone give some feedback on this model. The Sams price is down to 898.00. How it stacks up against panasonic models? Is this an absurd notion to even speak in same sentence. Please speak up cause the deal looks good... The only thing negative I think I have read is the glare on the screen in well lit rooms>...? Anyone else?

Still I saw someone referencing as "club model" // Does the 6500 have any of those features? I thought the 6550 was indeen a number to distinguish Sams club, but was unaware of any trim down efffect?
post #8 of 24 Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc3 View Post

Can Anyone give some feedback on this model. The Sams price is down to 898.00. How it stacks up against panasonic models? Is this an absurd notion to even speak in same sentence. Please speak up cause the deal looks good... The only thing negative I think I have read is the glare on the screen in well lit rooms>...? Anyone else?
Still I saw someone referencing as "club model" // Does the 6500 have any of those features? I thought the 6550 was indeen a number to distinguish Sams club, but was unaware of any trim down efffect?

Check the 50PA6500 / 60PA6500 thread. There is some information in there which indicates the 5500, 6500, and 6550 are identical aside from the model numbers. Also if you poke around for 60PA6500 review, they are generally very positive. $900 is a fantastic price for a 60 inch TV that people don't have a lot of complains about.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 PM

Thanks. I think I am having "electromagnetic emissions withdrawals" - LOL. I went down to Sams tonight hell bent on pulling a trigger of some kind, even if to buy another small TV for kids room to service my room while I decide.

On a side note and before I forget, they have a pretty awsome looking little 43" Samsung Plasma on the floor that is marked down to like 398$ - its just too small for what I need. But looks like a hell of a deal. And with that said, they also have the Panasonic 50" baseline plasma for $648 (online only). So I would have to go ahead and at least get that to replace the 50" KU series I had. The Panasonic U series I just mentioned even seems to be somewhat of an upgrade as the sub field is 600hz now as opposed to the 450 (or whatever) that they were back in 2008 when I got mine. Also, IT HAS A SLEEP BUTTON ON THE REMOTE NOW...!!! LOL... And mostly the power consumption is down to 300 watts (from the 700 watt microwaves they were). REALLY, did I do myself all that much of a dis-service breaking mine considering the power consumption and the bill for the HVAC A/C on the back side. I am willing to be thats about 300$/year in cost....!

BACK ON TRACK. It was closing time in the store and I kinda had my way with the 5500 series (5540 I think they give it as club model). I soon recalled a review on Amazon I think that stated the TV was dim, or poorly lit in brightness. I can tell you that sitting beside the others, there is no question it looked like it would do well in a tomb. I tried tweaking the brightness and nothing. But there were a crapload of adjustment possibilites, including (2) "pro settings" where it was almost like they had what is normally "hidden" on top to tweak. I did not stand a chance at that given my lack on interest in the hobby over the past years. So I just left at closing time and back to do more research tonight.

I will also say that I am having a growing respect for the LCD technology, as they are really starting to seem like they are not too far off. And I am really afraid to veer off from the Pani's as I am worried of running into issues like grey bars on the sides, or some crazy crap like that - just the small things we take for granted that can prove extremely annoying if stumbled onto in a large purchase by accident. There is no doubt that Panisonic has skimped big time on features in the past. And I am sure this is what kept their price so low. I never cared about crappy-to-worthless sound, or lack of BS tuning features, because the panisonic had what counts which is a solid picture and no unconventional issues (like grey bars). As long as you were looking to purchase a solid screen - they seemed to deliver.

So thanks for the reference. I will look at the threads now on the LGs. Regarding, I will also say there is NO DOUBT these LG screens are extra shiney and would have real issues in well lit rooms, or rooms with light directly on the screen. I noted when looking at the spectrum of TVs sitting there that I could see the reflection from the wall over the customer service desk 50' behind me. I also suspect the the reflective light issue is part due to a lack of screen brightness, or at least the user not setting it adequately. The energystar rating published on the TV was something like 27$ a year, which sounds good/acceptible. And I can say that none of the screens in the store had any noteworthy heat comming off them. I have no idea what the hell panisonic was putting in those older KU models of 2007-8, but the were HOT...! I am damn happy to have them out of my house. Would have been nice in Maine, Wisconsin, or Canada... LOL Space heater indeed.. Let me check em out now.. Thanks!
post #10 of 24 Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc3 View Post

I will also say that I am having a growing respect for the LCD technology, as they are really starting to seem like they are not too far off. And I am really afraid to veer off from the Pani's as I am worried of running into issues like grey bars on the sides, or some crazy crap like that - just the small things we take for granted that can prove extremely annoying if stumbled onto in a large purchase by accident. There is no doubt that Panisonic has skimped big time on features in the past. And I am sure this is what kept their price so low. I never cared about crappy-to-worthless sound, or lack of BS tuning features, because the panisonic had what counts which is a solid picture and no unconventional issues (like grey bars). As long as you were looking to purchase a solid screen - they seemed to deliver.
So thanks for the reference. I will look at the threads now on the LGs. Regarding, I will also say there is NO DOUBT these LG screens are extra shiney and would have real issues in well lit rooms, or rooms with light directly on the screen.

I am losing respect for LCD/LED tech. Here is my progression looking for a new TV...

Plasma...
LG 5500/6500 - returned due to dithering, some slight buzzing (barely there), and annoying "panel shuts off" feature when playing dark content. Also this had less than expected black levels for a plasma
Panasonic UT50 - returned due due to buzzing, line bleed, banding, and a green blob in the screen when displaying white content. The green blobs were supposedly fixed for 2012, so possibly I didn't have the "normal" green blob issue. Also, dithering on this TV was about the same as the LG.
Panasonic UT50 #2 - returned due to even more buzzing (much louder than the first two!), line bleed, banding, and Panasonic basically flipping me the bird when I asked them a question. This buzzing could be heard clearly during bright video content when the TV was at normal value levels.

Plus I had spent over $100 on new blinds and curtains for my living room to help with plasma glare. So I moved to LEDs...

LED
LG 6700 - cancelled order before it shipped due to the TVs having an "enhanced motion" (aka Soap Opera Effect) feature that could not be turned off. Also these seemed to be like playing loaded gun Russian Roulette with screen uniformity issues. LG eventually released a firmware update that partially addressed the motion settings. Still, I could see uniformity / light bleed problems on multiple LGs in store displays so I just gave up.
Samsung EH5300 - returned due to horrible motion blurring, but otherwise a decent TV. Smart TV features stunk though, 2012 Samsung models can't used the Yahoo Widgets (like for Amazon VOD) that the 2011 TVs could use. For Samsung pushing these Smart TVs, the apps really suck.
Samsung ES6500 - returning this because of the extremely annoying "CE Dimming" that dims the screen on dark contents in most display modes (you cannot turn this off). Also viewing angle on this was terrible for the price. Blacks start getting washed out if I move just 2 or 3 feet to either side, 10 feet away from the TV. Just moving back and forth on the couch (centrally locating in front of the TV) has a dramatic effect on black levels. Pretty bad clouding too and light bleed too! There are not cheap TVs, but at this point I felt like I was going backwards.

I am replacing a 2007 Sharp 32 inch 720P LCD that really didn't have any problems. I turned it on, it worked, the screen was always uniform, viewing angle was decent, there was no auto dimming BS, motion handling was above average. 5 years later and I think some of the TV basics have gone downhill instead of getting better. A few years ago, felt like companies were just trying to sell better TVs. Now it is a marketing / feature / thinness war, and picture quality is the casualty.

Anyway, I sent that ES6500 back and bought another LG Plasma. It is cheap enough that I am not going to freak out about it. The glare isn't good, but I usually watch TV at night.
post #11 of 24 Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 AM

I also posted on the sams lg 60"5500 model in the thread devoted to these tvs. My primary concern that has not been answered is general brightness of the set. Do you not have brightness issues with this tv?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

I am losing respect for LCD/LED tech. Here is my progression looking for a new TV...
Plasma...
LG 5500/6500 - returned due to dithering, some slight buzzing (barely there), and annoying "panel shuts off" feature when playing dark content. Also this had less than expected black levels for a plasma
Panasonic UT50 - returned due due to buzzing, line bleed, banding, and a green blob in the screen when displaying white content. The green blobs were supposedly fixed for 2012, so possibly I didn't have the "normal" green blob issue. Also, dithering on this TV was about the same as the LG.
Panasonic UT50 #2 - returned due to even more buzzing (much louder than the first two!), line bleed, banding, and Panasonic basically flipping me the bird when I asked them a question. This buzzing could be heard clearly during bright video content when the TV was at normal value levels.
Plus I had spent over $100 on new blinds and curtains for my living room to help with plasma glare. So I moved to LEDs...
LED
LG 6700 - cancelled order before it shipped due to the TVs having an "enhanced motion" (aka Soap Opera Effect) feature that could not be turned off. Also these seemed to be like playing loaded gun Russian Roulette with screen uniformity issues. LG eventually released a firmware update that partially addressed the motion settings. Still, I could see uniformity / light bleed problems on multiple LGs in store displays so I just gave up.
Samsung EH5300 - returned due to horrible motion blurring, but otherwise a decent TV. Smart TV features stunk though, 2012 Samsung models can't used the Yahoo Widgets (like for Amazon VOD) that the 2011 TVs could use. For Samsung pushing these Smart TVs, the apps really suck.
Samsung ES6500 - returning this because of the extremely annoying "CE Dimming" that dims the screen on dark contents in most display modes (you cannot turn this off). Also viewing angle on this was terrible for the price. Blacks start getting washed out if I move just 2 or 3 feet to either side, 10 feet away from the TV. Just moving back and forth on the couch (centrally locating in front of the TV) has a dramatic effect on black levels. Pretty bad clouding too and light bleed too! There are not cheap TVs, but at this point I felt like I was going backwards.
I am replacing a 2007 Sharp 32 inch 720P LCD that really didn't have any problems. I turned it on, it worked, the screen was always uniform, viewing angle was decent, there was no auto dimming BS, motion handling was above average. 5 years later and I think some of the TV basics have gone downhill instead of getting better. A few years ago, felt like companies were just trying to sell better TVs. Now it is a marketing / feature / thinness war, and picture quality is the casualty.
Anyway, I sent that ES6500 back and bought another LG Plasma. It is cheap enough that I am not going to freak out about it. The glare isn't good, but I usually watch TV at night.
post #12 of 24 Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM

I bought the 6550 from sams and it doesn't come with the disc that others mentioned in the 6500 thread. I noticed that the set already has the 03.01.06 firmware, would that be the reason that the disc isn't included? I called LG and asked if there is any need for the disc and they indicated there wasn't and no need for a break-in period either.

Any thoughts? Are the more recent sales different or the 6550 model from costco or sams already callibrated as opposed to the 6500?
post #13 of 24 Old 12-09-2012, 01:24 AM

The 6550 is available at Costco for $799.00
post #14 of 24 Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM

Best Buy has the 6500 for 799.99 right now as well
post #15 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 09:43 PM

Further, I hear ya about the delimna about spending the change for a good set. I did wind up with both a 55" vizio LED, and the 60" LG plasma. I am completely satisfied with the LG at this time, which I would speculate you are too. It hard to believe they were 3K 5 years ago..

IN comparison, and now owning both. The LEDS ARE GARBAGE. Those fans can tell themselves all they want. Just put on a movie like Green Lantern and the difference is MESMORIZED, vs. who cares to even watch. LED aint even close... But for up front for kids, power use, whatever - The LED is fine. Might as well be just one more light bulb running so I am fine with it as long as I dont have to watch it as sole source...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

Plasma...
LED
post #16 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 PM

I dont know if I am off topic for the thread. But I note there is a 60" Panasonic at sams now for about the same price. The set is identical in basic features with all the normal panasonic limitation and por firmware to go LOL.. But surprised me, as it does not put off the heat of the 50U series. The screen looks absolutely identical in performace..
post #17 of 24 Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 AM

Picked up the 60PA6550 at Sams last night. Initially very impressed with the panel. I currently have a two year old Sammy 59" PDP upstairs.

I mounted the screen on my basement wall in a 20' by 12' room. Watched TED on it and was very pleased with it for 1/3 the cost of my Sammy.

Going to finish up the install today and I'll post some pictures.

ChrisN812
post #18 of 24 Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnCP4 View Post

Best Buy has the 6500 for 799.99 right now as well

Hmm, bestbuy.com doesn't even carry LG. Was this price for the 60"? I'll stop in a store this weekend to see if they carry LG.
post #19 of 24 Old 04-16-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatraw View Post

The 6550 is available at Costco for $799.00

Costco.com doesn't have any LGs. Are they only available in store? I don't have a Costco membership.

Still searching, but the only place I've found it so far (other than Amazon for $1149 + shipping) is
http://www.adorama.com/LO60PA6500.html for $849 and
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=LG60PN6500 for $949.
post #20 of 24 Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Found the LG 60PN6500 on http://slickdeals.net/f/5967494-LG-Electronics-60PN6500-60-Inch-1080p-600Hz-Plasma-HDTV-799-B-M-Micro-Center for $799. That's $860.95 with CO taxes.

Also, is what are the differences between the 60PA6550, 60PA6500, and 60PN6500? The model in Consumer Reports is the 60PA6500. The model on LG's web site is the 60PN6500. Is the PA6500 an older year model and the 60PA6550 just the Sam's version of the older model? Are there any technical differences?
post #21 of 24 Old 04-21-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 82
This TV is down to 698.00 refurbished at MicroCenter if you're fortunate enough to have one nearby. That's practically a giveaway price.

On a side note: I really like the industrial look of this TV with no frills (other than the silly stand). It harkens back to the early generation Panasonic Plasmas before they started that ugly silver case trend.
post #22 of 24 Old 04-21-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I stopped by my local Microcenter Thursday night to check out the 60PN6500, but they didn't have it on display. I was also worried the sale would end Saturday, but the saleman told me it would be on sale until the end of the month. They had also had a 60PA6500 as well as another older TV listed for $699 and marked with code F. I asked the salesman what that meant, and he said it was not available, but might become available some time. I thought that would make sense for a brand new model that may have not yet arrived in stock, but not for an older discontinued model.

Black is so much better. Remember when audio components were mostly silver? My first receiver only came in black and didn't match the rest of my audio equipment, but over time newer components (like CD player) I added came in black and the only thing left in silver was an ugly cassette deck. Actually my current widescreen CRT TV is silver too! Black is so much better as it blends into the black background of movie scenes.
post #23 of 24 Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

Costco.com doesn't have any LGs. Are they only available in store? I don't have a Costco membership.

Still searching, but the only place I've found it so far (other than Amazon for $1149 + shipping) is
http://www.adorama.com/LO60PA6500.html for $849 and
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=LG60PN6500 for $949.

I stopped by my local Costco a couple nights ago and saw the 60PA6550 for $769.97.
However, I've also just found out that the Panasonic 60U50 PQ is superior and is $700 at Walmart, so that is my top choice (or the 65S64 with AR filter for $1448 at Sam's - I know, double the price just for a glare filter and 5" more diagonal!).
post #24 of 24 Old 06-01-2013, 04:46 PM

I was in Costco today and also saw the LG PN5300. I asked the TV guy if this model number was the same as some other model that LG makes and he didn't know. I also saw the LG PN6500 at Fry's for the same price as Costco $899. I'm wondering if LG just slapped another model number on the PN5300 so that people can't compare one model to another? We all know the manufacturers do this so stores that advertise "price match" policies don't have to cuz they have their own model numbers.
I'm going to call LG on Monday and see what I can find out. I'd like to buy a TV from Costco cuz of their warranty policies. It seems like compared to other places, it's cheaper to warranty your purchase at Costco.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Plasma 60pa550c
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page