Squaretrade warranty-- when to buy and worth it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Am patiently waiting for my 65ST50 to arrive ($1999 from Amazon, price matched to Paul's TV). But I am also contemplating to purchase the square trade extended warranty. From reading the posts on this forum it seems like the general consensus is that it is worth it...am I correct??

When do I have to purchase the warranty by?? Am I required to purchase it through Amazon or can I go to for instance Costco ??

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfr42720 View Post

Hi all,
Am patiently waiting for my 65ST50 to arrive ($1999 from Amazon, price matched to Paul's TV). But I am also contemplating to purchase the square trade extended warranty. From reading the posts on this forum it seems like the general consensus is that it is worth it...am I correct??
When do I have to purchase the warranty by?? Am I required to purchase it through Amazon or can I go to for instance Costco ??
Thanks!!

You can go to Costco. You have 60 days from date of purchase to get the Square Trade warranty.
MQ
post #3 of 23 Old 08-11-2012, 01:21 PM

Hey, I'm new here, but I just purchased a TV from Costco and was debating between originally buying it from either Costco or Amazon. I called Squaretrade the other day and yes, you can buy the warranty through Costco for a non-Costco bought tv, but it only covers 3 years Total, not added onto manufactuers warranty. So if you buy Squaretrade insurance from Costco for a TV purchased through Amazon, you'll have a total of 3 years protection (which is still probably enough). If you buy the insurance from Costco for a TV bought from Costco, the 3 years gets added onto the 2 year warranty from Costco, for a total of three years. That's how I understood it anyway when I talked to them.

I have 60 days to buy the insurance from Costco for my tv that I just bought, not sure if I'm going to or not yet either, so I would like to hear some feedback also. I purchased the LG 60PA6500.

It seems that you can also just order it online from the Costco website, vs actually going into Costco, also, if that was part of your question.
post #4 of 23 Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
From CostCos website for SquareTrade Warranty:
Quote:
3 Years
(For TVs Under $500)
2 Years Costco Concierge Plus 3 Years
Extended Protection = 5 Years Total
post #5 of 23 Old 08-12-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
does anyone have any experience with squaretrade?

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #6 of 23 Old 08-12-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl717 View Post

Hey, I'm new here, but I just purchased a TV from Costco and was debating between originally buying it from either Costco or Amazon. I called Squaretrade the other day and yes, you can buy the warranty through Costco for a non-Costco bought tv, but it only covers 3 years Total, not added onto manufactuers warranty. So if you buy Squaretrade insurance from Costco for a TV purchased through Amazon, you'll have a total of 3 years protection (which is still probably enough). If you buy the insurance from Costco for a TV bought from Costco, the 3 years gets added onto the 2 year warranty from Costco, for a total of three years. That's how I understood it anyway when I talked to them.
I have 60 days to buy the insurance from Costco for my tv that I just bought, not sure if I'm going to or not yet either, so I would like to hear some feedback also. I purchased the LG 60PA6500.
It seems that you can also just order it online from the Costco website, vs actually going into Costco, also, if that was part of your question.

The Squaretrade warranty through Costco is actually for three years AFTER mfr warranty expires for TV's not purchased at Costco. I think the Panny mfr warranty is 1 year, so this coverage would run for four years.

http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/misc/pdf/575685.PDF
post #7 of 23 Old 08-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

does anyone have any experience with squaretrade?

I have used them several times for different claims and haven't had any issues with them at all. They have been great.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 AM

Liked: 11
As with any protection plans, read the terms and conditions carefully. One major negative about squaretrade, for me, is the lack of burn-in coverage.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-30-2012, 02:31 PM

You don't have to buy it from Costco you can buy it direct. Do some searches on the internet and you should find coupon codes for discounts of 30-10%.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-30-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzt41j View Post

You don't have to buy it from Costco you can buy it direct. Do some searches on the internet and you should find coupon codes for discounts of 30-10%.

They are different, however. For the in-store Squaretrade warranty from Costco the extension is added after the manufacturer's warranty. The direct from squaretrade version begins at the time of purchase
post #11 of 23 Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 PM

Liked: 16
Costco (or Costco.com) offers a 3-yr Squaretrade warranty that is applicable after the initial store or manufacturer's warranty expires.
You can buy the warranty at either venue (in-store or online) with or without a membership (an extra $5.00 for non-members) plus applicable taxes for your state within 60 days of the purchase date of your tv (not necessarily delivery date, so check your receipt).

If you bought your tv outside of Costco, just go to Costco.com and purchase the Squaretrade warranty.
They willl email you a link to complete the purchase and supply a digital copy of your receipt, in case you need to make any claims.

Cost of the warranty for tv's costing more than $1000 is much cheaper at Costco ($99) than directly through Squaretrade (even if they offer 30% off).

$99 for an extra 3 yrs coverage for a tv for which you paid $1000 or more is great piece of mind, especially given the reviews of consumers who have made claims through Squaretrade.

There are other plans for price ranges below $1000, and other rules and regulations regarding making claims, but ultimately you should be able to recoup the cost of the warranty and your tv should anything go wrong during the extended warranty period.

Cheers!
post #12 of 23 Old 09-20-2012, 04:24 PM

The only drawback or small print that I have heard is that SquareTrade only covers the TV up till the coverage value that you have purchased . Say you purchased a ST Extended warranty to cover a $1000 TV. In the event you had to use and if the costs are say 800 to repair it, SquareTrade will shell out the money to fix it. And in the event the TV breaks again, ST will only honor you with $200 since you have already used up that 800 amount earlier. Each time you use the warranty service, the value of that repair or replacement is subtracted from the coverage amount. Or something like that. So really it is not a true extended warranty, but an insurance for 1000$.
post #13 of 23 Old 09-22-2012, 03:27 PM

Here is the exact wording.

THE VALUE OF YOUR COVERAGE:

The value of your Care Plan is in most cases equal to the purchase price of your item. Each time you file a valid claim, and we provide repair, the total value of your coverage is reduced by the cost of the repairs.
Then if you file another valid claim with us on the same item, and repairs are estimated to cost more than the remaining value of your Care Plan, the remaining value of your Care Plan will be offered instead.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-11-2015, 08:33 PM

Good deal on hard drives? Maybe? time will tell

I usually only get two years service from my hard drives in my server. So for $10 I get two extra years of warranty on my one year of factory warranty. It's not exactly a square trade however. it pays up to $80 if my drives fail.
post #15 of 23 Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So is Squaretrade the best or is there better?
post #16 of 23 Old 02-17-2015, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Samsclub tv's 500 and up $49.00
Costco tv's 500 and up $59.99
post #17 of 23 Old 02-17-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by meta22ica240 View Post
Samsclub tv's 500 and up $49.00
Costco tv's 500 and up $59.99
What if you didn't buy a TV from these places? Can you still get a warranty through them?
post #18 of 23 Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post
What if you didn't buy a TV from these places? Can you still get a warranty through them?

Yes
post #19 of 23 Old 03-31-2015, 07:13 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post
Costco's and Amazon's SquareTrade pages both indicate that you must purchase the item from them. I don't see such a restriction on Sam's Club purchases.

What I'd really like to know: Even though Amazon and Costco say that you must purchase the item from them, I wonder if they really enforce that? Amazon's prices are dramatically lower than purchasing the exact same warranty from squaretrade.com .
post #20 of 23 Old 04-01-2015, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfjfj View Post
Costco's and Amazon's SquareTrade pages both indicate that you must purchase the item from them. I don't see such a restriction on Sam's Club purchases.

What I'd really like to know: Even though Amazon and Costco say that you must purchase the item from them, I wonder if they really enforce that? Amazon's prices are dramatically lower than purchasing the exact same warranty from squaretrade.com .
Costco page actually says this:

"Plan must be bought within 60 days of TV purchase. Costco Members may buy plans for new TVs purchased from a Costco warehouse, Costco.com or any authorized U.S. retailer."

http://www.costco.com/squaretrade-tv.html

I have a Costco SquareTrade on the TV I bought from Best Buy.

I didn't bother looking at Amazon terms just now, but I do have SquareTrade from Amazon on a tablet from Best Buy and a phone from Verizon Wireless; SquareTrade and Amazon did not have any issue with that.
post #21 of 23 Old 04-06-2015, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I bought my 51F5300 through BuyDig.com and picked up a SquareTrade warranty on amazon. Registered it with no issues. 5 Years for $48 too! Couldn't say no to that one.
post #22 of 23 Old 04-07-2015, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Last week I telephoned SquareTrade and asked if I bought one of their extended warranties from Amazon could it be used with my new Samsung plasma purchased from Best Buy. I was told no. The lady said that the the TV and warranty must both be obtained from Amazon.

The SquareTrade representative explained that since I did not purchase my TV from Amazon, I had two options: (1) obtain the warranty from SquareTrade directly (at a much higher price) or (2) buy the warranty from Costco.
post #23 of 23 Old 04-08-2015, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
Last week I telephoned SquareTrade and asked if I bought one of their extended warranties from Amazon could it be used with my new Samsung plasma purchased from Best Buy. I was told no. The lady said that the the TV and warranty must both be obtained from Amazon.

The SquareTrade representative explained that since I did not purchase my TV from Amazon, I had two options: (1) obtain the warranty from SquareTrade directly (at a much higher price) or (2) buy the warranty from Costco.
Indeed, if you read the Squaretrade TV offering on Amazon carefully, you will see this: SquareTrade Protection Plans are only valid for new products purchased at Amazon within the last 30 days.

I wonder if this is a new restriction? The Amazon Squaretrade plan for tablets says the same thing, but last April I did not have any trouble getting a plan from Amazon for a tablet we bought at Best Buy. I even had to complete an on-line form that included checking off Best Buy as the retailer, and e-mail a scanned copy of the Best Buy receipt.

The "Answered Questions" section of the 5-year Squaretrade TV offering is actually hilarious in this regard:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx33V2...sin=B005STXPX2

I also got a plan to cover an iPhone last year. Strangely, this restriction is NOT there for the 2-year iPhone plan (which I bought last year), but it IS there for the 3-year iPhone plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page