Lurker coming out because I NEED to know - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will start with a huge apology if this has been asked I have scoured the forum and have found this question but not recently and as directly as I will ask.....

I am currently purchasing a tv for our daily viewing we had a 46" sony lcd that we have sacrificed to the kids in the family room for all their gaming needs : ).

I went to BB and purchased a 50" plasma , (my first plasma ever )U50 series 599. .....beuatiful pic although somewhat dark

we decided we wanted to go bigger but I am reluctant about the monthly expense of plasma to begin with.... so we purchased a 60" LED , the samsung 6000fxza also fron BB.....1099.

Although the tv is plenty big and it is more energy efficient ... I cant get used to it

I hate the pic,its so fake... and the motion seems wavy... but i like the size

I have them both still and need to make a decision....

I would like to know in all honesty, how much do the new plasma tv's actually cost per month. I know the energy sticker says $21

per year but I also know there are variables to that , including but not limited to calibration.

The BB saleperson said 20 per month.

I would love to get a 60" plasma but not if my utility bill is going to jump more than a few dollars.

So instead of relying on a gvt. sticker I would like to ask true owners of plasma tv's how much did you notice your addition of a plasma?

I buy everything energy efficient (I live in Ct. rates are high!! )This is a rough decision,so I appreciate any insight.... and again I apologize if this is a broken record question.

I would really like to end this tv quest, but not regret it every month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 AM

Liked: 10
Not entirely sure this is the right place for this but...

The 6000fxza uses about 70 watts and the very popular TC-P60ST50 consumes about 140 watts. So while its true that the plasma uses double the power of the LCD it isn't nearly as power hungry as plasmas were a few generations ago.

And now I will attempt some math. eek.gif

At 15 cents per KWH your cost for running the plasma, per hour, would be .14 x .15 = .021.

2.1ยข x 8 hours x 365 = $61.32 per year.

Obviously there will be some power draw when the set is "Off" that isn't accounted for but I doubt it will be significant.

Hope this helps...

Mike
post #3 of 3 Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 AM

Liked: 11
Just as a further comment on that energy sticker.

It's very likely what it actually said in the details was "per year" not per month...

Actually, I found it! It did say per year.
http://www.panasonic.com/includes/docs/pdf/energy-guide/SRUU_PDPM-120113_TC-P50U50_FTC_Label.pdf

Edit:
Found the one for the Samsung
http://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/energyguides/tv/2012/UN60EH6000.pdf

7$ dollars difference over a year.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page