About to buy the Panasonic TC-P55ST50 but then your forums.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was about to buy the Panasonic TC-P55ST50 at $1198 plus tax, then I started reading on here about the burn in, IR issues and DSE. To be honest I'm open to any HDTV, plasma or not, #D or not, but would like to stay around this price plus or minus a $200. Just want a good deal with a good television that has wifi ability. I'll mostly use it for Sports, News, some shows and movies. No gaming. The IR issue worries me since I'll leave the tv on espn for a while at a time and the scroll at the bottom I feel would burn on quickly. Any ideas for a new tv to purchase? Trying to take advantage of some of the deals before the super bowl. Sorry if I'm doing this wrong since I'm new here. Thanks for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You probably would want to post this in the Plasma Flat Panel Displays forum. The one just above this one in the hierarchy.

That having been said...

Plasma TV's of the current generation don't suffer nearly as much from burn-in (permanent) or image retention (temporary) as they used to. Even then I have a 6 year old Panasonic plasma that has survived a wife and child who refuse to follow even the most basic precautions and that set is fine.

Just don't go nuts and leave an image in pause for several hours. Also if you like to watch cable news all day long, you should look to LCD, as that ticker will burn in eventually.

DSE shouldn't be a problem on a plasma.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 268
As long as you dont have it in Vivid mode or something set really really high you should be OK. There is a chance of IR with any Plasma Tv is you leave static images there long enough....If you really like the ST50 then I would go for it. Samsungs do ahve a record of hving less IR issues, but as with any TV there are trade offs in other areas......

For Samsung I would look at the E6500 series if you wanted to compare...

Remember people come to forums like this to report problems, most of the good reports are from enthusiats who stick around regardless of what is happening with thier TV......Take all of the reports with a grain of salt because this forum is a very small segment of the TV owner population so any isues reported will look "larger" than they actually may be.....

Good luck with your future purchase...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page