Panasonic ST60 Deals - Page 38 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1111 of 1144 Old 05-11-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchersDad View Post

You're a funny man! Just now coming to me who you are....

Just so happens I've bought 3 or 4 S60 and ST60 Sears floor models or returns in the last few months and have mentioned on here before they are one of the better places to buy a floor model because they run their own programming and don't leave the things on espn day and night to get burn in. They also normally have everything that came with the TV as well. Congrats again on knowing about Sears (like no one else did?) My point was 1529 for a NIB 60ST60 right now is a damn good deal if you can find one.

And yes, I still contend they were not widely available at great prices for long. Amazon is the ONLY one that had any major inventory and as soon as they found out Best Buy had hardly any left when they but them on sale, Amazon went back to their old blowout price within hours.

What you're forgetting, or not willing to acknowledge, is everybody didn't know how special these TVs are, nor that they had or were going to be discontinued. What about the people that are just now coming into the market for a new TV and finding out they missed the boat on these?


Again, good for you but the rest of your comments are ridiculous..

you can acknowledge what you want to

But the deal on the VT's was all over AVS's forum and about every other "deal" board I saw for weeks

Even after BB ran of of online inventory there was still ample inventory available in the stores

You could have "missed" the deal..I suppose

However...saying it was not widely available would be a false statement


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1112 of 1144 Old 05-11-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

That's just the panel's rated life...the power supply or a control board is likely to fail well before 100,000 hours and probably 50,000 as well.

ok....so its a roll of the dice
One that could occur the 2nd hour of the TVs life as well

I got 2 years manufacturer warranty( one through the CC I paid for it with) ...and have the option through my CC of extending it to 5 years total for about $60.00

So..with tax rolled in I am little over $500 for a TV with a 5 year warranty. I think I am good with that amount....smile.gif

For grins..let say the TV has been for 24 hours for the last year. I dont think this is accurate as at the very least they are turned off when the store is closed

But lets just say..that would be 8760 hours
Lets say things start to go wacko at 25000 hours, far below the threshold of anything I have seen. That gives me 16,240 hours left

At 4-5 hours a day of viewing I still have about 8 years...far longer than I think I would use this TV
This TV would not be used as my main TV anyway..in no way would I replace the Samsung F8500 with this TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Congrats...Panasonic wasn't on my radar until last year. That's how it is when one gets spoiled by the best and what remains the reigning quality champ for at least 5 years. I can't blame you for seeking out the best deal you can...that's being frugal, but I also don't hold any judgement against those who pay a little more for new product (i.e. I grabbed a new in-box ZT for many times more than the demo you scored, but I wasn't interested in waiting months to get it...because time is also money).

reining quality champ is subjective...but anyway
It is a nice TV.....as was the Sharp elite. Both were priced where they should have been initially, at their respective clearance sales,IMO

To be clear
I wasn't waiting months to get this TV..or any TV for that matter
I just ran into a couple of deals that I thought I should take advantage of

As we have exchanged in posts a few times now....good sound is FAR more important to me than it is to you. It is of 50% value in my HT scenario AND audio components hold value better than video components

Check out what 2-3 year old Anthem Statement d2V is going for, I would call that piece the "reining quality champ" of home theater

You dont find high end audio at 50% or more off retail...though I wish that was the case

So...If I am buying the "reining quality champ" in video you can bet I am buying the equivalent audio

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1113 of 1144 Old 05-11-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,326
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 850
When a couple of stores might have some inventory left, that is a far cry from being widely available. Just because your state's Best Buy had them, you do not represent the whole country.

As far as Amazon, they ran the price on the VT60 for maybe a little over 2 hours the first day BB advertised their price. How do I know this, because I was lucky enough to have Amazon credit me the difference to match that price of $1,999 on my VT60 that I bought a couple weeks earlier. Luckily I called when I did because I went back to Amazon's page not long after and they had already raised the price back up.

Also your claims that your wouldn't pay $1,500 for a NIB ST60 because you got an F8500 for a little more then that is an irrelevant point. An 64F8500 cannot be bought for a little more then $1,500. Again, just because you found a deal does not mean it is widely available to everyone in every state at every time of the day. A 64F8500 is going for way more then $1,500 so if you can guide those people right now, today where they can find one for just a little more I am sure they are willing to listen.

Otherwise, stop arguing with everyone here and acting like you are better then them because you got a deal.

Also, you should ease up on the emoticons. It makes your posts come off an even more obnoxious then they sound, unless of course that is your intention.
eric3316 is offline  
post #1114 of 1144 Old 05-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Newbie
 
bskaggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

true...IR is not a big deal

Burn in is

in my experience you can sweep a screen for 15-20 minutes and see some change if its IR...and then make your decision at that time
As I bought this at a Sears retail store it is also returnable, per their standard return policy.

I dont know what you mean by "gung-ho" on floor models

That is not the case ..its simply a situation for enough of a discount, and I think this was, I will make it work

For $200 difference between what I bought and a new box unit, would I have bought it?..probably not

But..if people are paying( as I think was said earlier) over $1500 for a new box unit then I say $424 was a pretty good price for mine..

I assume you would have passed on the deal?

And btw..yes I did a little more than the $1529 for a 64"f8500...as did many others who got in on the Conn's closeout deal

Warren

Warren, gung-ho means crazy about. I'll put it in a sentence for you...I'm not gung-ho about buying a $1,000+ year old floor model that is scratched up with IR, like what was available in my area. And yes I would have bought a $400 floor model with a 30-day return but like I said early that deal was, and still is not happening in my area..just like the $2,000 (IIRC) 64F8500 Conns deal is not happening. Once again good for you that you got these deals but they just aren't out there right now for me and for the vast majority of people trying to find a high quality plasma television in "like new" condition, from a reputable dealer like I was trying to find. It's not realistic right now to think you can just go out and find a 60in ST floor model in good condition for less than $500 or a 64f8500 for $2000 like Conns had, which was absolutely absurd on there part if you ask me. Problem I have with you is how you come off as being smarter than everyone else because you have gotten two really good deals that most weren't lucky enough to come across. I was happy to pay $1529 for a brand new 60st60 that MRSP was $1700 (yes, I know that they sold for less than that Warren) In my opinion, that was not a bad deal especially if you take into a account something called supply and demand. I asked what 60in TV should I have gotten for $1529 or less and you mention some crazy Conns deal that isn't available and that a lot of pple missed out on. Like I said before I was just trying to help someone out who might be looking for one of that last new st60's, but instead I get stuck dealing with some troll who just wants to tell me what a terrible deal I got and what great deals he got. Good riddance Warren. I'm done with this thread.
vinnie97 and CatchersDad like this.
bskaggs is offline  
post #1115 of 1144 Old 05-11-2014, 03:16 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

ok....so its a roll of the dice
One that could occur the 2nd hour of the TVs life as well

I got 2 years manufacturer warranty( one through the CC I paid for it with) ...and have the option through my CC of extending it to 5 years total for about $60.00

So..with tax rolled in I am little over $500 for a TV with a 5 year warranty. I think I am good with that amount....smile.gif

For grins..let say the TV has been for 24 hours for the last year. I dont think this is accurate as at the very least they are turned off when the store is closed

But lets just say..that would be 8760 hours
Lets say things start to go wacko at 25000 hours, far below the threshold of anything I have seen. That gives me 16,240 hours left

At 4-5 hours a day of viewing I still have about 8 years...far longer than I think I would use this TV
This TV would not be used as my main TV anyway..in no way would I replace the Samsung F8500 with this TV
reining quality champ is subjective...but anyway
It is a nice TV.....as was the Sharp elite. Both were priced where they should have been initially, at their respective clearance sales,IMO

To be clear
I wasn't waiting months to get this TV..or any TV for that matter
I just ran into a couple of deals that I thought I should take advantage of

As we have exchanged in posts a few times now....good sound is FAR more important to me than it is to you. It is of 50% value in my HT scenario AND audio components hold value better than video components

Check out what 2-3 year old Anthem Statement d2V is going for, I would call that piece the "reining quality champ" of home theater

You dont find high end audio at 50% or more off retail...though I wish that was the case

So...If I am buying the "reining quality champ" in video you can bet I am buying the equivalent audio
What do you want, the last word? Speaking of subjective, "good sound" is equally so. wink.gif I have Definitive Tech Studio Monitors, one of their centers, a couple of Elemental Audio (RIP!) bookshelf speakers in the rear, all powered by a Pioneer Elite with ICE amps, and an Empire (RIP!) sub. If this doesn't qualify as "good" sound, your threshold is way, way above mine. I don't have a separate dedicated amp, but you act as if I'm using an HTIB. You seem to be fixated on the few extra percentile points of improvement that $20,000k/+ sound provides. A $3100 ZT matches up with this system splendidly.

I can also indefatigably state, since you previously claimed that no one could tell the difference in anything but a "batcave," that an OLED is a visual step up (and not just in brightness), having purchased one for a bedroom, and it will be the display tech that replaces my ZT eventually.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #1116 of 1144 Old 05-11-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

When a couple of stores might have some inventory left, that is a far cry from being widely available. Just because your state's Best Buy had them, you do not represent the whole country.

As far as Amazon, they ran the price on the VT60 for maybe a little over 2 hours the first day BB advertised their price. How do I know this, because I was lucky enough to have Amazon credit me the difference to match that price of $1,999 on my VT60 that I bought a couple weeks earlier. Luckily I called when I did because I went back to Amazon's page not long after and they had already raised the price back up.

Also your claims that your wouldn't pay $1,500 for a NIB ST60 because you got an F8500 for a little more then that is an irrelevant point. An 64F8500 cannot be bought for a little more then $1,500. Again, just because you found a deal does not mean it is widely available to everyone in every state at every time of the day. A 64F8500 is going for way more then $1,500 so if you can guide those people right now, today where they can find one for just a little more I am sure they are willing to listen.

Otherwise, stop arguing with everyone here and acting like you are better then them because you got a deal.

Also, you should ease up on the emoticons. It makes your posts come off an even more obnoxious then they sound, unless of course that is your intention.

better than them because I got a deal...seriously?
Thats so far off the mark I dont think I will even make a detailed comment

anyway....related to some posts of long ago...in the F8500 thread, which I guess you have forgotten

I personally would have never paid the prevailing price for the F8500.

Reason being..I was fine with the e8000 I already had and would have put the money towards an audio upgrade. The ONLY reason i bought it was because it was a deal. I wasnt even interested in buying an F8500

I know I have posted those same facts replying to you in the F8500 thread....perhaps your memory is short

Just like this ST60..it was a deal that I came across

Simple as that

and FYI..if sears has inventory left this price WILL come up again at another store site

I assure you I wont be the only one to get this price

On another note..when Best Buy's online inventory was depleted

They still had inventory in Magnolia stores..In Dallas..Illinois ( greater Chicago and central) and all 7 stores in Indiana and Ohio


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1117 of 1144 Old 05-11-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

What do you want, the last word? Speaking of subjective, "good sound" is equally so. wink.gif I have Definitive Tech Studio Monitors, one of their centers, a couple of Elemental Audio (RIP!) bookshelf speakers in the rear, all powered by a Pioneer Elite with ICE amps, and an Empire (RIP!) sub. If this doesn't qualify as "good" sound, your threshold is way, way above mine. I don't have a separate dedicated amp, but you act as if I'm using an HTIB. You seem to be fixated on the few extra percentile points of improvement that $20,000k/+ sound provides. A $3100 ZT matches up with this system splendidly.

I can also indefatigably state, since you previously claimed that no one could tell the difference in anything but a "batcave," that an OLED is a visual step up (and not just in brightness), having purchased one for a bedroom, and it will be the display tech that replaces my ZT eventually.


I agree...much of AV quality is subjective, no argument there from me at all. I have said that many times
again...we have different ideas ( subjective) of what good sound is

I think that a good audio upgrade is worth a lot more than a few percentage points...you clearly dont

Lucky you, I guess, because video is cheaper

If your systems satisfies you that is all that matters..right?

on another note

Please point me to the post where I said you cant tell the difference in OLED in anything but a batcave
I didnt say that...I have zero experience with an OLED in my home and could not make a statement like that with any validity


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1118 of 1144 Old 05-11-2014, 04:01 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
The fact of the matter is you begin reaching the point of diminishing returns as you climb the pricing continuum, but I find it laughable that one would consider the upgrades I have made to not be "good" because I don't yet have a separate amp. That was the only point I was making.

Concerning the latter, you made the argument to set us "fanboys" straight that the ZT is only slightly better than a F8500 in a batcave only because it lacks the brightness of the latter (and the F8500 pisses on it from great heights otherwise, ignoring important parameters like shadow detail and color saturation) and that the benefits provided by an OLED (namely, deeper blacks) are unnecessary as well. All it takes to see the massive increase in PQ between even a ZT and an OLED is an environment with controlled lighting (any environment can be set up in this capacity after dusk, far more than simply a batcave).

Similarly to how you are annoyed by how I seemingly downplay audio (and I'm a big audio fan, the field of psychoacoustics is fascinating), I am equally annoyed with your belittling of black level performance.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #1119 of 1144 Old 05-11-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bskaggs View Post

Warren, gung-ho means crazy about. I'll put it in a sentence for you...I'm not gung-ho about buying a $1,000+ year old floor model that is scratched up with IR, like what was available in my area. And yes I would have bought a $400 floor model with a 30-day return but like I said early that deal was, and still is not happening in my area..just like the $2,000 (IIRC) 64F8500 Conns deal is not happening. Once again good for you that you got these deals but they just aren't out there right now for me and for the vast majority of people trying to find a high quality plasma television in "like new" condition, from a reputable dealer like I was trying to find. It's not realistic right now to think you can just go out and find a 60in ST floor model in good condition for less than $500 or a 64f8500 for $2000 like Conns had, which was absolutely absurd on there part if you ask me. Problem I have with you is how you come off as being smarter than everyone else because you have gotten two really good deals that most weren't lucky enough to come across. I was happy to pay $1529 for a brand new 60st60 that MRSP was $1700 (yes, I know that they sold for less than that Warren) In my opinion, that was not a bad deal especially if you take into a account something called supply and demand. I asked what 60in TV should I have gotten for $1529 or less and you mention some crazy Conns deal that isn't available and that a lot of pple missed out on. Like I said before I was just trying to help someone out who might be looking for one of that last new st60's, but instead I get stuck dealing with some troll who just wants to tell me what a terrible deal I got and what great deals he got. Good riddance Warren. I'm done with this thread.


This is the internet and one sometimes cannot clearly discern some of the intent of the posts
I will leave it at that

I understand the deal may not be happening in your area...it was just something I came across. I seriously wasnt even shopping for a TV...but truth be told I thought this deal was so good I could sell it before the return period was up if I cared to
BTW..I wasnt shopping for the F8500 either. I was planning on an audio upgrade and keeping the E8000 I already had. I came across the deal on the F8500 and felt like I needed to pull the trigger
I have NOT upgraded my audio mainly because of the Tv purchase. There seem to never be audio deals like there are TV deals 24/7

I am not where you located. However these Sears deals and similar have been going on for years. I have bought a few over the years, for myself, and 3-4 for family/friends as well
As far as "gung-ho" about buying a display. Its all relative to how low the price is IMO



Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1120 of 1144 Old 05-11-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The fact of the matter is you begin reaching the point of diminishing returns as you climb the pricing continuum, but I find it laughable that one would consider the upgrades I have made to not be "good" because I don't yet have a separate amp. That was the only point I was making.

Concerning the latter, you made the argument to set us "fanboys" straight that the ZT is only better than a F8500 in a batcave because it lacks brightness (and the F8500 pisses on it from great heights otherwise, ignoring important parameters like shadow detail and color saturation) and that the benefits provided for an OLED (namely, deeper blacks) are unnecessary as well. All it takes to see the massive increase in PQ between even a ZT and an OLED is an environment with controlled lighting (any environment can be set up in this capacity after dusk, far more than simply a batcave).

Similarly to how you are annoyed by how I seemingly downplay audio (and I'm a big audio fan, the field of psychoacoustics is fascinating), I find equal annoyance with your belittling of black level performance.

I agree 110% with the diminishing returns point in your first sentence..true of all A/V products

I also agree with what you said about subjectivity...our different views on audio speak to that

Its interesting that you changed your statement from OLED to ZT now

I like the ZT...as I said before I thought it was overpriced compared to the VT. Again, my subjective opinion, just as yours about shadow detail etc of the ZT
And yes..if you have sunlight in the room the F8500 is a better TV
I never said anything"pissed on anything from great heights"...LOL
I can also point you to the post where I said for the exact same price as the F8500 I would have bought the ZT
You are really reading way more into my statements than what was there and adding where I guess you see fit

I am not belittling black level performance. I am speaking to the utility of the product in a very common environment

Based on how close the black level measurements were( Value electronics shootout)..how usable and recognized would that be in a room with ambient light?

I am not annoyed by how you downplay audio. Its just not as important to you to as it is to me

I think we have already had that discussion and understanding a few times now

No new news


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1121 of 1144 Old 05-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Senior Member
 
CatchersDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

and FYI..if sears has inventory left this price WILL come up again at another store site

I assure you I wont be the only one to get this price

On another note..when Best Buy's online inventory was depleted

They still had inventory in Magnolia stores..In Dallas..Illinois ( greater Chicago and central) and all 7 stores in Indiana and Ohio


Warren

 

Oh would you get off that garbage...

 

I bought THE LAST nib 60VT60 in the entire BB system on Feb 11th from a store in MN, and THE LAST nib 65VT60 from a San Francisco Magnolia store on Jan 24th (corporate couldn't even find that one). And at that, if you were lucky enough to find one anywhere in their system after they put them on sale, they would only ship to another store in their region, not to your home and not to one of your local stores. I just got lucky because I was very persistent.

 

There are also NO MORE floor model deals like yours from Sears on a 60ST60 (unless you get extremely lucky and find one they don't know they have, and haven't put it in the system, and you somehow con the manager into giving you that type deal). In fact, they only have one listed in their entire system under 1000 and most of the remaining 11 are in the 12-1400 range, and that's if they actually still have them. Their system is rarely up to date or correct in their descriptions.

bskaggs likes this.
CatchersDad is offline  
post #1122 of 1144 Old 05-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Newbie
 
frojoe747's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I found an open box 60ST60 at a local Sears Outlet for $934 and plan on checking it out. What should I look for?

 

I want to check for IR, but I'm not sure how to do that thoroughly. Any tips would be much appreciated. I plan on checking the number of hours on the TV which I now know how to do after some research. Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?

frojoe747 is offline  
post #1123 of 1144 Old 05-13-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,326
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by frojoe747 View Post

I found an open box 60ST60 at a local Sears Outlet for $934 and plan on checking it out. What should I look for?

I want to check for IR, but I'm not sure how to do that thoroughly. Any tips would be much appreciated. I plan on checking the number of hours on the TV which I now know how to do after some research. Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?
Get a USB stick and download the colored slides on them. Then you can run them on the TV to look for IR.
CatchersDad likes this.
eric3316 is offline  
post #1124 of 1144 Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Member
 
pimpology26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: detroit,mi
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Another way is to open "paint" in windows and just resize the image to 1920x1080 save as .jpg on a thumb drive and...here I'll upload mine geez. White_1080.jpg 32k .jpg file

So I took this slide to a pawn shop with a "new-in-box" 50ST60 Looked nice had the plastic on it, it was also turned off. I was thinking cool until I displayed this slide and it had IR or burn in of the discovery channel logo! I then checked help>device>status4>C1514 !!! It was most certainly not new! I believe the guy he didnt know because the person he bought it from had it neatly packaged...With the burn in and the hours it wasnt worth $775. I was ready to jump all over it if it was indeed "new" but that IR/Burn in wasnt going away and we tried using the swiper. Are these tvs really that bad at IR? My last samsung from 09 wasnt that bad at all for IR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White_1080.jpg (32.5 KB, 40 views)
pimpology26 is offline  
post #1125 of 1144 Old 05-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Member
 
pimpology26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: detroit,mi
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by frojoe747 View Post

I found an open box 60ST60 at a local Sears Outlet for $934 and plan on checking it out. What should I look for?

I want to check for IR, but I'm not sure how to do that thoroughly. Any tips would be much appreciated. I plan on checking the number of hours on the TV which I now know how to do after some research. Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?
From what I've seen Sears keeps their images moving so there is no IR on any tvs I have seen from them.
pimpology26 is offline  
post #1126 of 1144 Old 05-17-2014, 01:20 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpology26 View Post

Another way is to open "paint" in windows and just resize the image to 1920x1080 save as .jpg on a thumb drive and...here I'll upload mine geez. White_1080.jpg 32k .jpg file

So I took this slide to a pawn shop with a "new-in-box" 50ST60 Looked nice had the plastic on it, it was also turned off. I was thinking cool until I displayed this slide and it had IR or burn in of the discovery channel logo! I then checked help>device>status4>C1514 !!! It was most certainly not new! I believe the guy he didnt know because the person he bought it from had it neatly packaged...With the burn in and the hours it wasnt worth $775. I was ready to jump all over it if it was indeed "new" but that IR/Burn in wasnt going away and we tried using the swiper. Are these tvs really that bad at IR? My last samsung from 09 wasnt that bad at all for IR
Yes, they are...you might have been able to get rid of the Discovery logo, but it may have taken weeks or months.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #1127 of 1144 Old 05-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Member
 
pimpology26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: detroit,mi
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thats what I was thinking, I could get rid of it. I really suspect thats why it was sitting in a pawn shop because someone couldnt get rid of it frown.gif It really should go away with normal viewing. What would be a fair price with 1514 hours on it? All the accessories come with it.
pimpology26 is offline  
post #1128 of 1144 Old 05-17-2014, 04:34 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Considering the imperfection of the screen, $500?
vinnie97 is offline  
post #1129 of 1144 Old 07-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Senior Member
 
ToonMasterTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 64
My local HH Gregg still has an ST60! 65"! The salesman told me it was a floor model, not a return, so it definitely has a lot of hours on it. I didn't have the remote and I chose not to use the menu buttons on the back of the TV to dig into the menus. Maybe I'll stop back later to see what the hours on it are, but at $1000 I had to give some thought to buying it, however, I bought my S64 brand new last year and it does the job admirably, so I don't NEED a new TV. They also had a 60" Samsung F8500 open box item for just over $1400. I am going to miss going into electronics stores and not being able to compare the plasmas to the LCDs. But it was good to see the Panny and the Sammy and reminisce again.
RyanHomsey likes this.
ToonMasterTim is offline  
post #1130 of 1144 Old 07-26-2014, 01:08 PM
Member
 
CYrus BORG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
My local HH Gregg still has an ST60! 65"! The salesman told me it was a floor model, not a return, so it definitely has a lot of hours on it. I didn't have the remote and I chose not to use the menu buttons on the back of the TV to dig into the menus. Maybe I'll stop back later to see what the hours on it are, but at $1000 I had to give some thought to buying it, however, I bought my S64 brand new last year and it does the job admirably, so I don't NEED a new TV. They also had a 60" Samsung F8500 open box item for just over $1400. I am going to miss going into electronics stores and not being able to compare the plasmas to the LCDs. But it was good to see the Panny and the Sammy and reminisce again.
Just let me know which state and city...and the address of the HHGregg!
CYrus BORG is offline  
post #1131 of 1144 Old 07-26-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oakland, Ca. & Aventura (Miami), Fl.
Posts: 1,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
My local HH Gregg still has an ST60! 65"! The salesman told me it was a floor model, not a return, so it definitely has a lot of hours on it. I didn't have the remote and I chose not to use the menu buttons on the back of the TV to dig into the menus. Maybe I'll stop back later to see what the hours on it are, but at $1000 I had to give some thought to buying it, however, I bought my S64 brand new last year and it does the job admirably, so I don't NEED a new TV. They also had a 60" Samsung F8500 open box item for just over $1400. I am going to miss going into electronics stores and not being able to compare the plasmas to the LCDs. But it was good to see the Panny and the Sammy and reminisce again.
Where are you located? I'd consider the Samsung.
snidely is offline  
post #1132 of 1144 Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 10,127
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 628
The past few weekends I've seen an open box 65" S60 at the Costco in Commerce Twp. MI. I believe it's marked $1169.
Stereodude is offline  
post #1133 of 1144 Old 08-06-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 142
If anyone is interested...and is in northen Indiana,Norrthern Ohio or Michigan and can stretch their budget a little bit

ABC warehouse has 65" ZT 60 displays left in about 20 of their stores

I was in a store yesterday in northern Indiana and they have one in very good condition...guy told me they would take $2K for it

I already have an F8500 and I wasnt really interested unless he said had said something sub $1500

Clearly condition can vary by store and you would need to take a look to check for damage//IR etc before making your offer

But...these TV's taking up valuable floor space for them and there is only a finite amount of people that would not just buy an edge lit led TV and be done with it

Warren
CYrus BORG likes this.

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1134 of 1144 Old 08-06-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 10,127
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
The past few weekends I've seen an open box 65" S60 at the Costco in Commerce Twp. MI. I believe it's marked $1169.
Down to $1049 as of this past weekend.
RyanHomsey likes this.
Stereodude is offline  
post #1135 of 1144 Old 08-12-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Down to $1049 as of this past weekend.
a few ST60's left at sears stores as well for generally less than that in the same size


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1136 of 1144 Old 08-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Senior Member
 
rcapprotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ocala fl
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
found a used 65"ST60 for $850 in excellent condition is this a good price?
rcapprotti is offline  
post #1137 of 1144 Old 08-25-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcapprotti View Post
found a used 65"ST60 for $850 in excellent condition is this a good price?
Yes!
StinDaWg is online now  
post #1138 of 1144 Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
rcapprotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ocala fl
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Yes!
Thanks
rcapprotti is offline  
post #1139 of 1144 Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 142
A Sears store in Lafayette LA....zipcode 70503 shows a 60" ST60 for $499....floor display

seems like a pretty good deal if the TV has no damage
full manufacturer warranty from the day you buy it

I paid a little less than that price.. mine was in good shape...the store accidentally gave me the Panasonic passive 3D glasses that I did nt realize until I got home...but my samsung glasses work with Panasonics so I really didnt care


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1140 of 1144 Old 08-27-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
A Sears store in Lafayette LA....zipcode 70503 shows a 60" ST60 for $499....floor display

seems like a pretty good deal if the TV has no damage
full manufacturer warranty from the day you buy it

I paid a little less than that price.. mine was in good shape...the store accidentally gave me the Panasonic passive 3D glasses that I did nt realize until I got home...but my samsung glasses work with Panasonics so I really didnt care


Warren
SOLD!!

I guess someone got a great deal...hopefully it was someone here on AVS


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off