Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by areyou4real 

Re: Camera

For the tinfoil hat crowd;....

I laughed pretty hard at that.  I'm just going to take to watching TV in the nude, perhaps while doing some awkward stretching/yoga.  That will teach the NSA to spy on me.  I feel bad for whatever rookie agent has to keep tabs on me. HA!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAYER6669 View Post

Well how's this for horrible timing. I've been wanting to apply for a Discover It card for a while so I decided to do it tonight and then when it arrived, buy the 65VT60 from abt.com through shopdiscover for the 10% cashback (plus I got a $150 sign up bonus on the Discover card), plus the 5% cashback on $1500 and 1% for the rest. Would have worked out great, if only abt.com did not just discontinue the TC-P65VT60 within the last few hours. And they are not getting any more. mad.gif

I ran into a similar problem.  Wanting to finance my purchase and seeing the posts about the discover discounts I applied for a card on Monday.  Last week I called ABT and they said they had a handful of 65” VT60s left.  Yesterday I called and they had two left.   My discover card hasn’t come yet so I couldn’t put the order through.  I opted to reserve one with a down payment.  So I have one waiting for me, but will be unable to get the ~$290 ish off (which would have brought the price down to ~$1950) because I can’t complete the transaction online.   I still want the TV, but that savings would have paid for a decent sound bar, or BR player and stand. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 07:52 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarron4 View Post

I ran into a similar problem.  Wanting to finance my purchase and seeing the posts about the discover discounts I applied for a card on Monday.  Last week I called ABT and they said they had a handful of 65” VT60s left.  Yesterday I called and they had two left.   My discover card hasn’t come yet so I couldn’t put the order through.  I opted to reserve one with a down payment.  So I have one waiting for me, but will be unable to get the ~$290 ish off (which would have brought the price down to ~$1950) because I can’t complete the transaction online.   I still want the TV, but that savings would have paid for a decent sound bar, or BR player and stand. 

Doesn't it drive you crazy? Haha. I felt like I devised the perfect plan to get this TV in the $1800 range after cashback. Considering I just spent $1000 on new front speakers as well as over $5k remodeling, I wasn't planning on this purchase right now until I had realized how soon these would start selling out. Discover said I would be getting the card within 5 business days, so that puts me around Tues-Wed (looks like it'll be longer based on what you said though). I even live chatted with ABT and he said they may have one left and offered to finance it for me, but I explained to him the situation and he confirmed they would not be getting any more units in. I will check the stock next week and possibly go with the ST60 or ZT60, but I really wanted the VT. Now Amazon charges tax in NJ so it's not so attractive to buy from them.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Doesn't it drive you crazy? Haha. I felt like I devised the perfect plan to get this TV in the $1800 range after cashback. Considering I just spent $1000 on new front speakers as well as over $5k remodeling, I wasn't planning on this purchase right now until I had realized how soon these would start selling out. Discover said I would be getting the card within 5 business days, so that puts me around Tues-Wed (looks like it'll be longer based on what you said though). I even live chatted with ABT and he said they may have one left and offered to finance it for me, but I explained to him the situation and he confirmed they would not be getting any more units in. I will check the stock next week and possibly go with the ST60 or ZT60, but I really wanted the VT. Now Amazon charges tax in NJ so it's not so attractive to buy from them

Yeah its actually kinda killing me.  In 2013, I feel like we should have the technology to reserve something by phone, and then link to it web to pay for it if need be.  But according to ABT this is not possible.  I'm inclined to think they are confusing "we can't do that" with "we WON'T do that".  I'm going to call when I get my card and plead my case with both discover and ABT and see if they can help me out.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarron4 View Post

Yeah its actually kinda killing me.  In 2013, I feel like we should have the technology to reserve something by phone, and then link to it web to pay for it if need be.  But according to ABT this is not possible.  I'm inclined to think they are confusing "we can't do that" with "we WON'T do that".  I'm going to call when I get my card and plead my case with both discover and ABT and see if they can help me out.

Well good luck, I hate to say it but you're probably going to need it! I'm sure they will run out of ST and ZT's as well by the time my card gets in! biggrin.gif
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by borat!!! View Post

Will Amazon or Best Buy have Christmas or New Year's deals on The VT60? Im still a couple weeks away from being able to afford it (1950 at Best Buy) (1850 at Amazon). Or will the price go up by then?

Price is $1850 at both.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:35 AM

Guys, I purchased a P65VT60 from ABT on Cyber Monday at the $2149.00 price. I knew they weren't going to be around for long but didn't think ABT would be out of stock this fast. I'm on the west coast and it's set up for deliver today between 11am - 2pm. I'm very anxious and a bit nervous as to what condition it will show up looking like. I've talked to the local carrier and she has told me that the drivers are very careful with the large Plasma's and that it will be strapped upright and not laying down flat. I'll be meeting the driver the minute he shows up so he doesn't try doing anything stupid like carrying it in the house himself or putting it on a dolly.

What would happen in the case that the tv had visible damage and it needed to be returned to ABT? Let's say cracked screen or something along those lines. Since they don't have any stock how would they replace it? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Would they give me a total refund or work out a deal on a ZT if they are still available.. Hopefully none of this will be an issue and the tv will show up in perfect condition..

Update.. As I was typing this I was called by the carrier who I spoke to yesterday confirming a Wednesday delivery and was just informed that the there will be no delivery today because the truck coming across country from Illinois was delayed due to bad weather and they will reschedule a delivery when the tv actually arrives at the local carrier's. Not sure why they couldn't have told me this yesterday but that's the start of my delivery. I just happen to be off work today and it would have worked out really nice to have it delivered today.

I'll report back on condition and build date when it finally arrives. In the meantime I'm contacting ABT to see how they would possibly deal with returning something that's damaged and not having the stock to ship another one..
Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchef0 View Post

Guys, I purchased a P65VT60 from ABT on Cyber Monday at the $2149.00 price. I knew they weren't going to be around for long but didn't think ABT would be out of stock this fast. I'm on the west coast and it's set up for deliver today between 11am - 2pm. I'm very anxious and a bit nervous as to what condition it will show up looking like. I've talked to the local carrier and she has told me that the drivers are very careful with the large Plasma's and that it will be strapped upright and not laying down flat. I'll be meeting the driver the minute he shows up so he doesn't try doing anything stupid like carrying it in the house himself or putting it on a dolly.

What would happen in the case that the tv had visible damage and it needed to be returned to ABT? Let's say cracked screen or something along those lines. Since they don't have any stock how would they replace it? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Would they give me a total refund or work out a deal on a ZT if they are still available.. Hopefully none of this will be an issue and the tv will show up in perfect condition..

Update.. As I was typing this I was called by the carrier who I spoke to yesterday confirming a Wednesday delivery and was just informed that the there will be no delivery today because the truck coming across country from Illinois was delayed due to bad weather and they will reschedule a delivery when the tv actually arrives at the local carrier's. Not sure why they couldn't have told me this yesterday but that's the start of my delivery. I just happen to be off work today and it would have worked out really nice to have it delivered today.

I'll report back on condition and build date when it finally arrives. In the meantime I'm contacting ABT to see how they would possibly deal with returning something that's damaged and not having the stock to ship another one..

No stock = refund. End of story. Anything else is speculation. My 65VT60 from ABT arrives next week (unfortunately). Please let us know what your build date is when you check out the panel. I'd like an idea of what my build date might be. I've ordered a 65VT60 from Best Buy also to hedge me bets. I'll set up delivery for that one after delivery of the ABT set so I can cancel if necessary.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:11 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Price is $1850 at both.

$1850 for a VT60 65"? Wow! Wonder how much stock will be left by then.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

$1850 for a VT60 65"? Wow! Wonder how much stock will be left by then.

If you look back you can see he's quoting the price on a 60".

Old 12-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 97
If anyone's looking for the 55Vt60- Abe's of Main has it for $1519.00 wink.gif

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=PSTCP55VT60&id=PSTCP55VT60&&kbid=55VT60

Update: For some reason the link kicks it back to the home page. Type in the model number and you'll be good to go from there.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post

If you look back you can see he's quoting the price on a 60".

Then no need to wait for Christmas or NY for a VT60 60. Nor see need to state the oblivious, since both have it now for that price or lower.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

Then no need to wait for Christmas or NY for a VT60 60. Nor see need to state the oblivious, since both have it now for that price or lower.
There was a post by someone saying amazon has the 60" for $1850 and best buy was at $1950. Speakerphile corrected it by saying both amazon and best buy are at $1850......

Post# 1447
Old 12-11-2013, 12:58 PM

Just received my 65" VT 60 from ABT - August build date. When was the foam update done ? In August or September ?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

There was a post by someone saying amazon has the 60" for $1850 and best buy was at $1950. Speakerphile corrected it by saying both amazon and best buy are at $1850......

Post# 1447

Thanks. That makes sense.

I passed on the BF deals and just kept my ST60, but if a 65in VT60 really drops at closeout prices, I am very interested. As am I sure many other are. However, I realized this is probably hopefully thinking, since the BF/cyber deals were probably it.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Seeing all the August and October builds is bumming me out a bit. I order a 60VT60 (Amazon) at roughly the same time and got a June build. Mine has fan noise and buzzing.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
^Every plasma panel buzzes to some extent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserplasma View Post

Just received my 65" VT 60 from ABT - August build date. When was the foam update done ? In August or September ?
August.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I don't know much about the F8500 and own a VT60 myself but is it really fair to judge a TV's picture to this level if it has not been calibrated? Have reviewers said they are unable to calibrate a correct gray scale on the 8500?

I knew someone was going to bring this up, and I almost addressed it.

All the TVs were in their cinema settings. I shouldn't *HAVE* to have a TV calibrated just to get shadow detail that should be there out of the box, and especially not for 2600.00!!. So I think that kind of throws that argument out. Over and above that, I'm pretty good at establishing my picture settings at home short of a full calibration, and I still noted that the drop off between figures and just "black abyss", even with carefully setting my contrast and brightness controls, left something to be desired with the set I had at home.

I also don't know how much stock I put into the whole "ST is close to the VT" thing. How close? Because then people claim that the VT is identical to the ZT except for the bright room performance of the ZT... So something isn't jiving here. Why do we buy ZTs and VTs if the ST is a hair away from a TV that costs 1000.00 more?

Per DK: "The VT60 is an excellent plasma with the best dark-room image quality you'll see this year not powered by light-emitting diodes. It is a shade better than the Kuro we've been using as a reference these long years, it beats the Samsung F8500 in critical dim-room viewing situations, and it's demonstrably better than the outstanding ST60. "

Demonstrably better doesn't sound like a small difference. So I maintain my position that the F8500 probably matches or very slightly betters the ST, falling somewhere between the ST and VT.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER6669 View Post

Well good luck, I hate to say it but you're probably going to need it! I'm sure they will run out of ST and ZT's as well by the time my card gets in! biggrin.gif

Well what I was going to do before the VT sold out, was reserve one, and then buy a second through shop discover.  If I got the one through discover I would cancel the one I had reserved.  You could try the same with the ST/ZT?

Id keep checking in to see if maybe they get a cancelation or anything.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

ignore... accidentally quoted my own post... D'oh! Moderator can delete.

You can delete your own post using the red X button in the lower left of the post body. smile.gif
Old 12-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Just pull the trigger at local Bestbuy yesterday. Local store have the 60VT60 for 1849. I talked with the manager about the 10% cashback from shopdiscover + no tax in ABT. He agreed to match OTD amount without hesitation. So the total is $1600+$133(tax 8.4%)=$1733, then i get 5% cashback in BB through Citi and 2% BB rewards, the OTD amount turned out to be $1615.

Pretty decent deal, can't wait the delivery!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 PM

You can get a VT60 in 60" and 65" for $1739 and $2249 respectively from EastCoastTVs.com. I haven't found a better price. Pulled the trigger on the latter, and I'm stoked.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

You can delete your own post using the red X button in the lower left of the post body. smile.gif

Done. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Seeing all the August and October builds is bumming me out a bit. I order a 60VT60 (Amazon) at roughly the same time and got a June build. Mine has fan noise and buzzing.

Maybe it's time to call Panasonic and have them install the fan fix. I'm not sure if you're outside your return window but if you had ordered from Amazon it might not hurt to try for an exchange. They've been known to work with customers even after they've fallen off their 30 day window.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempesta55 View Post

You can get a VT60 in 60" and 65" for $1739 and $2249 respectively from EastCoastTVs.com. I haven't found a better price. Pulled the trigger on the latter, and I'm stoked.
Why wouldn't you order from Amazon at $2,295 for the 65VT60? No BS up-selling, great customer service and most of all the ability to return the TV.

I know people usually order from East Coast because they are trying to save like $500, but not for $50. This one has me scratching my head.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Why wouldn't you order from Amazon at $2,295 for the 65VT60? No BS up-selling, great customer service and most of all the ability to return the TV.

I know people usually order from East Coast because they are trying to save like $500, but not for $50. This one has me scratching my head.

Honestly I realized that after I ordered. Originally I was going for the 60", which is $100 cheaper at East Coast, so I was saving a hundred. Then I decided to upgrade to a 65" without checking Amazon. For the most part, customer service reports are positive at East Coast. Upselling is definitely an issue but I wanted a 5 year warranty anyway. The delivery dude is going to come into my house and wait for me to test the TV before he leaves. If something looks off I'll put it right back in the box and have him take it back.

But yeah, if I could do it all over again I'd have just gone the route of Amazon. Their return policy is amazing. I've got a warranty anyway now, so it's rather moot. I was actually comparing East Coast prices to Best Buy at the time and had neglected Amazon. On the good side I get to support shady guido salesmen, who are a dying breed.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempesta55 View Post

Honestly I realized that after I ordered. Originally I was going for the 60", which is $100 cheaper at East Coast, so I was saving a hundred. Then I decided to upgrade to a 65" without checking Amazon. For the most part, customer service reports are positive at East Coast. Upselling is definitely an issue but I wanted a 5 year warranty anyway. The delivery dude is going to come into my house and wait for me to test the TV before he leaves. If something looks off I'll put it right back in the box and have him take it back.

But yeah, if I could do it all over again I'd have just gone the route of Amazon. Their return policy is amazing. I've got a warranty anyway now, so it's rather moot. I was actually comparing East Coast prices to Best Buy at the time and had neglected Amazon. On the good side I get to support shady guido salesmen, who are a dying breed.

I paid $2249 at ABT last week.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Brother bought a 65VT60 from Paul's TV (SE MI).

He prefers to buy locally, & they were slightly under Amazon's price - delivery was made the following day, at no charge.

(He was told at local Best Buy that they had no stock remaining in their (District? Region?), but could have one shipped from other area in about 2 weeks - decided not to wait...)

No details other than delivery men carried it up to 2nd floor, and at least demonstrated that the set worked.

Will be looking forward for a Demo: No. 1 Son has a 55VT60, & it is an impressive panel!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Fair enough. I should point out that one holds an iPhone literally inches from one's face whereas a TV is usually across the room, so minor display changes are more readily apparent (I also noticed the improvement when the iPhone went to bonded glass but didn't think it was as big of a deal as it was made out to me). For example, doubling the resolution on the iPhone to "retina" resolution was easily discernible, yet there's huge doubt whether going from 1080p to UHD is visible or beneficial on anything less than 65" displays. The point being that it's disingenuous to draw conclusions about TV performance based on experience with smartphones.

I've read that thread over on ************** also and there's no doubt that avjunkie is proud of the ZT. If you think the ZT is worth the extra coin, that's certainly your prerogative. But going strictly by professional reviews that have stated numerous times that the VT and ZT are identical in dark-room performance, I felt the VT was "good enough" for me. In fact, for my use-case, I felt that the VT60's slight brightness advantage was more important than the ZT's improved ambient light-rejecting abilities. During the day I don't do any "critical" viewing anyway; if bright room performance were a serious concern I'd have gotten a Samsung F8500 for roughly the same price as the ZT60.

I wanted you to know that I got to seriously thinking about a lot of what you said and what some others here have said. Then I went back to BB and had a long look at both sets in the same THX Cinema mode. So, given the fact that I don't *need* a 60 inch TV in the close confines of a bedroom, and the picture quality truly is damn near identical between the two, I went ahead and set up an exchange of my 60ZT for a 55VT at BB. Even with my previous 200.00 discount on the ZT, I still saved a good 750.00, gained a couple of gimmicky but somewhat nifty features (speakers and camera) and still have the best PQ of just about any TV ever produced. Even the stand which I really like on the ZT is identical on the VT. I feel much much better about the VT, and now we can also hang on to the F8500 which was about the same amount for the 60 (unless someone from here ends up wanting it).

So, that's that. VT will be delivered Friday, at which point they'll also pick up ZT.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:02 AM

I was able to get a best buy credit card, with 2000 on it don't ask me how lol. I just purchased the 60 inch for a grand total of 1979. But I get 5% cash back for using the credit card. So total comes to 1875 Very pleased picking it up tomorrow!!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

I knew someone was going to bring this up, and I almost addressed it.

All the TVs were in their cinema settings. I shouldn't *HAVE* to have a TV calibrated just to get shadow detail that should be there out of the box, and especially not for 2600.00!!. So I think that kind of throws that argument out. Over and above that, I'm pretty good at establishing my picture settings at home short of a full calibration, and I still noted that the drop off between figures and just "black abyss", even with carefully setting my contrast and brightness controls, left something to be desired with the set I had at home.

...snip....

There was a time when I bought a TV by going into a store and finding the one that had the best picture and bought that one specific set.....not one out of the back but the one that was out on the floor that looked the best. But that was when there was only brightness, contrast, color and tint controls.

Have you noticed how many controls are on the modern day display?

....and forget about any real effort to make them look their best. That's just not happening.

I think the situation we have is that we have to listen to pro calibrators to find out what sets do what. When you find a pattern of reviews that tell you that the VT and ZTs look great when calibrated to 30 to 35 foot lamberts peak white, you have to know just what that means. What that means is you better have a pretty dark or blacked out room to view it in. When a reviewer says that an 8500 can be made to look like an OLED with a bright fairly accurate picture ( 55 ft lamberts peak white) you have to also know what that means. The one thing that should go without saying is that you can not take any of these picture modes such as cinema and compare TVs going just by using a common setting.

Personally, I agree that above a certain price level that a display should be totally accurate and consumers shouldn't have to calibrate anything. Plug it in and its good to go. But that's not the world we live in. These are consumer sets, not studio monitors which cost $20K....and even those have to have LUT type calibrations.

With all this said, I do see that many don't want to have anything to do with calibration and just want the best display they can get out of the box. In that case, you're right to just pick the one off the shelf that has the best picture even though the best picture might have been a different display if you had it calibrated.
eric3316 likes this.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic