Panasonic TC-65PS64 65" Plasma $1299.99 + 5 Year Warranty for only $99.99 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennya View Post

Trying to decide whether to get the Squaretrade warranty for my new Costco set. Just not sure of the reliability of plasmas... I had a 5-year warranty on my first DLP, never ended up using it. My second DLP burned out its red bulb just before my Amex warranty extension ended, so did have to have a repair, but it was before an extended would have kicked in.

With the S64, I assume I'll get Costco's 2 years, plus another year from my Amex Gold after that, right? So Square Trade would bump that from 3 to 5 years, I believe. (I don't think the Amex will kick in as late as 5 years, right? It would kick in after Costco's warranty, not the extended one, correct?) This is my first plasma, so just not sure how likely a failure is in the 3-5 year range.

I think extended warranties are a waste of money - just like rustproofing on your car - simply a way of companies padding their pockets. I've never had an electronic equipment fail within the first 5 years - they either fail the 1st year or last a long time. All my (tube) TVs have lasted 10 years or more. But if your last DLP burned out after only a few years, maybe that is evidence of the recent poor quality of flat screen TVs not lasting more than a few years (Walmartization effect of them becoming commodities). I bought mine at Sam's, but get an extra year warranty from Discover Card for a total of 2 years. $99 may not be such a bad deal for 2 extra years warranty on a $1500 TV, but $1500 (including taxes & delivery) just for the TV was already quite a bit more than my original budget of $1000 for a new TV and I'm on a tight budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 PM

Liked: 25
July 29, 2013 Costco Inventory Update for the TC-65PS64, still $1299 with free shipping.

Available units: 168

EDIT: Now 163/ 160/ 157/ 152/ 148/ 137

EDIT: July 30: Now 132/ 126/ 121/ 114/ 111/ 106

EDIT: July 31: Now 103/ 99/ 90/ 88/ 84

EDIT: August 1: Now 83/ 78/ 75

NOTE: Further updates to Costco inventories are continued on this thread's post #214. Craig-Paul.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335

In Costco in Crystal City, Va right now. And guess what I see. smile.gif

Only question now is should I get one or two?

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
Old 07-29-2013, 04:04 PM

Liked: 13
Sams Club has them in stock for pickup only in Oxnard Ca. August 2nd through the 4th they are having an open house to non members, so no need to pay the membership!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 AM

Liked: 10
Unsure if this belongs in this thread or the official thread. Been trying to find the VESA information for the 65PS64 and haven't been able to locate it. Some of the other threads mentioned M8 bolts vs. M10 which is great, but still don't know the dimensions for the bolt pattern.

I've been looking at Monoprice (FYI, code JULYWM20 for 20% off all wallmounts) and there seems to be three that would accommodate the 65":

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8254&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=6517&seq=1&format=2 (best reviews, currently out of stock)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=6663&seq=1&format=2 (tilting only)

Anyone have recommendations? Are all you guys leaving it on the stand? I have a fireplace so am kind of forced to mount this to the wall above the fireplace.

Jack of all trades, master of none. I'm considered a generalist, my interests are broad and I have a passion for all things design.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdomain View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=6663&seq=1&format=2 (tilting only)

Anyone have recommendations? Are all you guys leaving it on the stand? I have a fireplace so am kind of forced to mount this to the wall above the fireplace.

I'm leaving the 65" on its stand. The model 6663 at monoprice is the wall mounting bracket that I've read on another thread that works well for the 65". You might want to search for sure through the s60 thread.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the quick response! Didn't think to search for 'monoprice' in that thread. Also turned up this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=5916&seq=1&format=2

Jack of all trades, master of none. I'm considered a generalist, my interests are broad and I have a passion for all things design.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
anyone having any 1080p issues with the 64? my blu ray won't show when set to 1080p. my cable box also gives it fits (charter).

also have a line of stuck pixels on the right hand side....

hate to carry this sucker back to Costco
Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 AM

Liked: 11
Just joined the club. $1557 white glove delivery and total of 5 years warranty smile.gif replacing pioneer 500M calibrated by Dnice, but extra 15" will make up for it I think.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcougher73 View Post

Just joined the club. $1557 white glove delivery and total of 5 years warranty smile.gif replacing pioneer 500M calibrated by Dnice, but extra 15" will make up for it I think.

Any comparisons between the two, any complains or lack of?

Djoel
Old 07-31-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Quote:

Any comparisons between the two, any complains or lack of?

Djoel

Well I just ordered it but I can let you know once it delivered and set up

Djoel likes this.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:36 AM

Just picked up the Panasonic TC-50PS64 from Costco. Out the door for under $700, including ST Warranty for 3 years (bringing total warranty coverage to 6 years!).

Running D-Nice slides at the moment, just under 24 hours. Hope to be watching the new set sometime this weekend. Leaving behind 36" Sony XBR CRT, so the PQ upgrade should be substantial. Can't wait for the football season to get started!

Review to come in a few days. Thanks to everyone who has submitted input to this and the other Costco Panasonic threads. You made my decision to buy very easy.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:04 PM

I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the TC-65PS64 smile.gif. Does anyone know who Costco uses for delivery, when ordering online? Kind of worried about getting delivered by ups.....had to many damaged purchases when delivered by them.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM

Liked: 12
Mine was delivered by CEVA when I ordered it online and had no problema. They even delivered it one hr before my scheduled appointment. Now the 65S64 seems so small and wished Panny made a 70-80 inch plasma. Oh well. biggrin.gif
Your going to love the set.
gus738 likes this.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the quick response Tubayj.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubayj View Post

Now the 65S64 seems so small and wished Panny made a 70-80 inch plasma.

Mine replaced a 34" Sony XBR CRT so it still feels nice and large, more colorful and brighter. I just hope after 10 years when this may die, that they make a 100" 4K plasma...cool.gif
Old 07-31-2013, 01:59 PM

Took a half day off work today to accept delivery of a 65S64 from Costco. Delivery service was horrible, poor communication and kept me waiting over an hour. I left work because he said he would be at my home in 20 minutes and if I was not there I would have to wait a week to be given an opportunity to reschedule.

When these guys say threshold delivery they mean it, once it crossed the threshold he (one guy by himself, had to help him move it inside) he had his pen out and was jonesin to get outta there. Upon unpacking I discovered a moderately-sized dent in the back panel near the middle about 6" from the top. I immediately called the shipper (he couldnt have been gone more than 5 mnutes) and he proceeded to tell me I was on my own.

I left the unit in the box, and plugged it in to ascertain functionality. Seemed to be OK. I decided to call Costco to see what my options were. At first, I was told that i could return for refund or exchange, or I could hold onto the unit I have and perhaps recieve some compensation for the damages, with the option of returning within the 90 day return period. I responded that as damage appears to be superficial and may be entirely functional, I was willing to explore that option, but needed to know how much compensation to make a decision. After waiting a rather lenghty time on hold, she returned and said that no compensation could be offered.

So, spent better part of an hour boxing it back up, and it now sits in my living room waiting to be picked up while I sit around without a TV for another 7-10 days. Timing couldnt be worse as I have an AVR arriving today and without a monitor to hook up to Im not sure if I will be able to setup, let alone begin evaluating. I am seriously cosidering canceling my reorder and going with Amazon. I have ordered countless things from them without ever having an unpleasant experience, and the AR filter is nice but not really a necesity for me as my room is not very bright.

Has anyone else had any issues. It could be that my case is the exception rather than the rule.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malolo View Post

When these guys say threshold delivery they mean it, once it crossed the threshold he (one guy by himself, had to help him move it inside) he had his pen out and was jonesin to get outta there. Upon unpacking I discovered a moderately-sized dent in the back panel near the middle about 6" from the top. I immediately called the shipper (he couldnt have been gone more than 5 mnutes) and he proceeded to tell me I was on my own.

What was the delivery company?

Costco offers "White Glove" service for an additional $35, which I believe includes install/setup.

FWIW, I ordered from Sams.com and they only offer the same threshold delivery (contracted to CEVA). Luckily there was no damage to mine as it sat barely unboxed and not even plugged in for almost a week until I could get help lifting my old 34" CRT off my stand and lifting this one onto the base and stand. Kudos to Best Buy contracted delivery service (had to replace a dead dryer just a few days after the 65S64 delivery) who helped lift/swap TVs and hauled off my old TV for recycling after delivering and installing my dryer. Too bad BB only has a lowly 15 day return period.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdomain View Post

Unsure if this belongs in this thread or the official thread. Been trying to find the VESA information for the 65PS64 and haven't been able to locate it. Some of the other threads mentioned M8 bolts vs. M10 which is great, but still don't know the dimensions for the bolt pattern.

I bought a stand which said it can support "most 65" tvs" -- the TC-65PS64 fits on it perfectly. Here is a photo from my TV's manual.

http://i.imgur.com/9qMlvEp.jpg hopefully that helps!
dcdomain likes this.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

What was the delivery company?

CEVA.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malolo View Post

I am seriously cosidering canceling my reorder and going with Amazon. I have ordered countless things from them without ever having an unpleasant experience, and the AR filter is nice but not really a necesity for me as my room is not very bright.

Has anyone else had any issues. It could be that my case is the exception rather than the rule.
Amazon uses CEVA for many TV deliveries as well, so you wouldn't be changing anything by going with them.

Sorry to hear about your experience. My delivery experience with them went great; but I sprung the extra $35 for "white glove" delivery. With that, they'll carry it into any room in the house, unbox it, set it up, and wait until you've had time to test it before asking you to sign off on it. More than worth $35. (In fact, I rushed the setup because I felt bad keeping them there as I worked through the menus, but they waited patiently.)

If you decided to return/reorder, I'd opt for the white glove option. They'll be sure to send two people that way, and you'll get experienced TV setup guys rather than "dude who can pick up a heavy box."
gus738 likes this.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Well I just ordered it but I can let you know once it delivered and set up

Cool, I use to own a KRP-600M and from that went to a Samsung 7 Series from a couple years ago, the colors and black are great, but there's something about that panels I just can't put my finger on it..It's been calibrate by D-nice as was my Pio, the 600 has just a natural feel to it...That's my reason of asking..

Thanks

Djoel
Old 07-31-2013, 05:35 PM

I can't believe there is not 1 video around with a review on this tv. I have been looking on youtube and everywhere with no luck. I have only found the generic video that panasonic has on their website. Maybe someone has a video of their setup with some type of review they can share or post....I can't wait 7 days.....need to see it now.....LOL...biggrin.gif
Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM

Regarding delivery, I assume mine was through CEVA as well. I thought they were really good. At least compared to my hassles with Manna delivery regarding a bed I ordered.

They gave me a good window and they showed up right in the middle of it. They kinda parked far (there were plenty of spots right outside my building), so the guy wheeled the TV down the street on a dolly. He even helped me up three flights of stairs to my interior front door. Gave him a small tip for that. TV was perfect, no damage.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmrls View Post

I can't believe there is not 1 video around with a review on this tv. I have been looking on youtube and everywhere with no luck. I have only found the generic video that panasonic has on their website. Maybe someone has a video of their setup with some type of review they can share or post....I can't wait 7 days.....need to see it now.....LOL...biggrin.gif

What do you want to see in a review? A video isn't really going to show off how good the image quality is. The rest is just specs really. But if there is something you specifically want to see I can record a few clips I suppose.smile.gif
gus738 likes this.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 PM

Just curious about the menu navigation and what it looks like.....not a big deal...I will wait. Thanks anyways...smile.gif
Old 07-31-2013, 09:03 PM

Added External Speakers powered by the internal amps of a Panasonic TC-65PS64

Today I removed the back cover of the TV. There are two very small 8 ohm speakers for L and R channels. I removed the amplifier +/- leads at the speaker terminals. I made a number of custom extension cables. One pair is attached to the speaker leads. A second pair is attached to the amplifier +/- output leads. I used Allen organ speaker wire. Each cable contains a red/black 16 gauge copper speaker wire inside an outer protective sheath. I ran my extensions from the internal speaker leads and the amplifier leads out through the small stamped holes in the back panel.

I used a Niles Audio DSP-1 A/B switch box to make all my connections. The amp leads are connected to the switch box's common 4 inputs. I have the TV speakers connected to the 4 inputs of the A side. I have external speaker leads connected to the other 4 inputs of the B side which are connected to my external speakers.

My external speakers are Allen Organ Speakers (model HC-18) with JBL 15” woofers (JBL-2235H Low Frequency Drivers). The 3-way speaker cabinets are 8 ohm. Since the internal speakers were 8 ohm and my speaker cabinets are rated at 8 ohms, the TV's amp is happy. I am able to depress the A/B selector switch on the Niles unit to toggle between the internal and external speakers. It is remarkable difference. When I get the system hooked up to the stereo I’ll be able to disconnect the internal speaker leads from the Niles unit, so that the TV speakers don’t play in tandem with the separate stereo system. And, when I want only my external Allen speakers to play alone with the TV’s amps, I have that option too.

I wanted to be able to use these external speakers to run with the TV’s amps and not have to run the TV through my power hungry stereo system. Most of my low-level listening can now use the TV amps and my external speakers. It works flawlessly.

Adding a sound bar was an option. But, I already owned the DSP-1 unit and have several of these Allen Organ Speakers.

Below is a picture of the set up. Two Allen speaker cabinets are dedicated to the TV and its amplifiers. They sit atop each array of 4-grouped speaker columns on the right and left. I use a 23-yr old McIntosh MC2500 to power the stereo’s main front L and R channels. Since I had several extra cabinets, I just put 4 combined in parallel for each of the L and R channels.

The rest of the speakers in the photo are used for a digital Allen Organ (several more speakers are located to the left of the photo to power the organ's 15 channels.)

It's nice to have the external speakers working with the TV amps.

- - - - - -

On a second note: I received the TV a week ago. I ran D-nice’s slides for the first 100 hours. I calibrated the Cinema mode with Fairchild’s settings. I also calibrated the Custom mode with C-net’s settings. I tend to like C-nets slightly better.

The only time I have had the TV off is to install the speaker set-up mentioned above. At night I run D-nice’s slides and then resume the TV programing while working at my office desk during the day.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 PM

Sweet!! But a little over kill, don't ya think...LMAO biggrin.gif
gus738 likes this.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 PM
AKA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-Paul View Post

Right movie, wrong scene...

PogueSquadron likes this.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmrls View Post

Sams Club has them in stock for pickup only in Oxnard Ca. August 2nd through the 4th they are having an open house to non members, so no need to pay the membership!
This is where I picked up mine. I used a 1 day pass which can easily be found searching Google. If you are in CA, SC or Elmsford, NY, you are excluded from the 10% service fee.

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60