Samsung f8500 pricing reduction? - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 893 Old 07-09-2014, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I looked closer and it appears Samsung has a Unilateral Pricing Policy (UPP) on their premium TV's, including F8500. Which is why ALL authorized retailers all have it for the same price, $2,399.99 (which is same price at Samsung's website). As long as it is under UPP then the only time you'll find it on sale at an authorized retailer is when Samsung themselves lower the price on their website, and even then it would be the same at all retailers.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...r-now/#!bbxD8v

According to this article, Panasonic does not have UPP, and this would explain why their TV's went on huge sales after they were being discontinued. Since Samsung has UPP, it is very unlikely there will be a firesale at any authorized retailer (which are the reputable dealers you'll want to deal with anyway) on this TV. Looking at The Tracktor.com, it says lowest price ever at Amazon for this TV is 2,197 (200 off current price).

So I'm wondering if it's honestly worth holding out for a smoking hot deal while running the risk these sell out. Or is it best to just bite the bullet and buy it if you want it (even at the current full price of 2,399)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 893 Old 07-09-2014, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
I looked closer and it appears Samsung has a Unilateral Pricing Policy (UPP) on their premium TV's, including F8500. Which is why ALL authorized retailers all have it for the same price, $2,399.99 (which is same price at Samsung's website). As long as it is under UPP then the only time you'll find it on sale at an authorized retailer is when Samsung themselves lower the price on their website, and even then it would be the same at all retailers.

According to this article, Panasonic does not have UPP, and this would explain why their TV's went on huge sales after they were being discontinued. Since Samsung has UPP, it is very unlikely there will be a firesale at any authorized retailer (which are the reputable dealers you'll want to deal with anyway) on this TV. Looking at The Tracktor.com, it says lowest price ever at Amazon for this TV is 2,197 (200 off current price).

So I'm wondering if it's honestly worth holding out for a smoking hot deal while running the risk these sell out. Or is it best to just bite the bullet and buy it if you want it (even at the current full price of 2,399)?
I'd go with a reputable non-authorized dealer if you are that budget conscious. Perhaps someone like Cleveland Plasma who is vetted all over this forum. I would avoid the riskier names such as Abes of Maine and East Coast TVs.

That said, the UPP isn't set in stone. I've seen Sears offer the 60F8500 for $1999 a number of weeks ago. Also BuyDig currently offers 10% rewards on the 64" version, which I've seen someone here say they send as a refund, not necessarily as a gift card. You might check with them first. Amazon also offers 2% rewards, in addition to potentially saving 5% with a Citi Forward credit card. My point being...there are a number of opportunities to get the TVs a bit below the UPP figure, but perhaps rare to get them at a deeply discounted price.

Last edited by kwest2; 07-09-2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: added information
post #873 of 893 Old 07-09-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwest2 View Post
I'd go with a reputable non-authorized dealer if you are that budget conscious. Perhaps someone like Cleveland Plasma who is vetted all over this forum. I would avoid the riskier names such as Abes of Maine and East Coast TVs.
It's not that I'm budget conscious. It's that I still have my 50" 720P Panasonic Plasma from 8 yrs ago that still works great, I was only going to get the Samsung 60" so I can upgrade until 4k OLED becomes more commercially viable (which likely won't be for another 5-10 yrs). Since I don't NEED it right at this moment, I can hold off and wait to try and get it for the best deal possible if it's likely to be on-sale at some point in the future. I don't care if it ends up dropping a couple hundred dollars, I'm more interested if it ends up dropping to the $1,500-$1,600 range (which is $800-$900 off today's price).

Looking at Google shopping, I see the following prices at retailers (none of which I've heard of before):
Nice Electronics = $1,589 (free shipping, never heard of)
Abes = $1,639 (won't buy from them)
Buy Squad = $1,649 (free shipping, never heard of)
East Coast TV's = $1,759 (won't buy from them)

Most everyone else is in the $2,000-$2,100 range. Unless I'm saving a substantial amount of money, I'd rather spend more and buy from Best Buy as if it's defective or damaged I can return it. Plus at Best Buy I get 5% rewards (which ends up mostly paying for sales tax). Good point about Sears, I'll keep them in mind. Nice Electronics for example says damage can ONLY be handled if you refuse delivery. Once you accept delivery you can't claim damage. And if it's defective you have to deal with manufacturer. If I buy from Best Buy, and it's defective, I can have them come pick it up and replace it for me.

So I'm not concerned about saving a couple hundred. I'm really looking for whether it's likely Samsung will lower the price of this TV substantially ($600+) towards the end of the year. This would only happen once it's on "Closeout", and even then inventory could be very limited and you run the risk of it selling out.

Last edited by bobby2478; 07-09-2014 at 06:54 AM.
post #874 of 893 Old 07-09-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 128
UPP applied to "advertised" price. They can sell it for less.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #875 of 893 Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Paul's has been doing 15% off on F8500's the weekends with a coupon code on their website. They are authorized.
post #876 of 893 Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
UPP applied to "advertised" price. They can sell it for less.
Whether "advertised" price or not, retailers can always sell for less than UPP, and Samsung can't make any specific threat towards authorized retailers who do sell for less (that would be price fixing). The Supreme Court has ruled however that Samsung and any other manufacturer can decide who they want to do business with, and they have the right to refuse to sell product to authorized retailers who are found to be in violation of Samsung's UPP policy. And this is why ALL the big box stores have the same price (Best Buy, Amazon, New Egg) as Samsung, because they don't want to tick Samsung off.

Quotes from following article:
http://www.twice.com/news/news/detai...idelines/11388

"The new Samsung UPP differs
from its more traditional minimum advertised pricing (MAP) program in that it
sets guidelines for minimum selling prices rather than imposing suggested caps
on the prices at which products can be advertised."

"Dealers are free to sell
products at whatever prices they choose to," Stinziano clarified, "but our
unilateral policy says that if you sell below a certain price, there is a
schedule of penalties that goes along with that."

Some of the smaller online stores may be willing to take the risk that Samsung won't notice they are selling for less than UPP. But regardless they run the risk of Samsung refusing to ship future product to them because they are selling it for less than Samsung is.

Samsung's UPP policy is the same reason you never find Apple products cheaper at one place than another. It's the same price everywhere (which amounts to price fixing, but they have legal avenues around this). Some smaller online retailers will sell for less, but you are taking on more risk as a consumer if there are any issues. I live in MN for example so there is no Paul's TV anywhere near me, I'd have to buy online and if it's defective then I have to have Samsung fix it. If I buy locally from Best Buy, they can return and exchange it for another.

Last edited by bobby2478; 07-09-2014 at 10:26 AM.
post #877 of 893 Old 07-09-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I just tried it and that brings the 60" down to just over $2,000 which is still not quite cheap. I see Buy Squad has it for $1,649, and East Coast TV's has it for $1,749 (never heard of either of these places however).
I've got to add my 2 cents here... I live in Portland and have never heard of Buy Squad until I read this thread... Steer clear of this joint folks - this outfit operates out of an office building downtown See Google street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.516552,-122.67872,3a,90y,284.13h,120.71t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1srkfSMf_N4GY2OhNgIuudQg!2e0!6m1 !1e1 If they are actually in that building, I cannot say.

On a happier note, Sears has scheduled delivery tomorrow of my 60F8500 and I'm stoked!
post #878 of 893 Old 07-09-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
It's not that I'm budget conscious. It's that I still have my 50" 720P Panasonic Plasma from 8 yrs ago that still works great, I was only going to get the Samsung 60" so I can upgrade until 4k OLED becomes more commercially viable (which likely won't be for another 5-10 yrs). Since I don't NEED it right at this moment, I can hold off and wait to try and get it for the best deal possible if it's likely to be on-sale at some point in the future. I don't care if it ends up dropping a couple hundred dollars, I'm more interested if it ends up dropping to the $1,500-$1,600 range (which is $800-$900 off today's price).

Looking at Google shopping, I see the following prices at retailers (none of which I've heard of before):

Most everyone else is in the $2,000-$2,100 range. Unless I'm saving a substantial amount of money, I'd rather spend more and buy from Best Buy as if it's defective or damaged I can return it. Plus at Best Buy I get 5% rewards (which ends up mostly paying for sales tax). Good point about Sears, I'll keep them in mind. Nice Electronics for example says damage can ONLY be handled if you refuse delivery. Once you accept delivery you can't claim damage. And if it's defective you have to deal with manufacturer. If I buy from Best Buy, and it's defective, I can have them come pick it up and replace it for me.

So I'm not concerned about saving a couple hundred. I'm really looking for whether it's likely Samsung will lower the price of this TV substantially ($600+) towards the end of the year. This would only happen once it's on "Closeout", and even then inventory could be very limited and you run the risk of it selling out.

I am in a similar situation to you. I purchased the commercial 50" TH-50PHD7UY in 2004. I am hesitant to purchase the Samsung because I have reservations whether it can match the picture quality of the TH-50PHD7UY. I don't get where people say plasmas are dim....my set is not all dim....nor does is it have the torch appearance of LED's. It is movie picture perfect. I have heard that later plasmas may suffer from dimness due to subsequent changes to voltage components in order to save energy. CNET changed its rating system in 2013 and made it MUCH more stringent. Even with the new stringent criteria, the overall score for the TH-50PHD7UY in 2013 was 9/10. This set was THE reference set for broadcast facilities for years.

When I saw the new Panasonic and Samsung at Best Buy in 12/13, neither could match the TH-50PHD7UY, at least for the 1080i source on display at Magnolia. The picture was softer on these sets; detail was lacking compared to the TH-50PHD7UY. Further, complaints do exist that the Samsung has more of a noise reduction clean look than the Panasonics which would not be to my liking. Of course, the BB sets were not calibrated, but used the THX or movie mode and many say these sets are great out of the box. Plus, I could not put up with a plasma that has a buzzing sound, particularly if loud, and not even if soft if the noise was high-pitched, which has been reported. Further, even with BB's 15 day return policy, who is to say the buzzing may not occur at a later date? If I were to buy, I may consider Value Electronics so I could ensure top calibration and zero buzzing. Paying full price plus $500, but no sales tax. Only reason to buy would be as back-u to TH-50PHD7UY, and to have second TV in bedroom (or could move to living room if I actually found the picture was better than the TH-50PHD7UY).

Last edited by igreg; 07-09-2014 at 10:44 PM.
post #879 of 893 Old 07-09-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Colleague of mine told me Best Buy matched East Coast TV's price or 64" F8500. He purchased the set for approximately $2600 last month.
post #880 of 893 Old 07-09-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't recall large drops in sales price of the Panasonic plasmas; in fact, it was just the reverse.
post #881 of 893 Old 07-09-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbas5 View Post
If you want this tv, then you have limited time to get it. Samsung is stopping plasma production.

It might, however, mean really awesome clearance prices in the near future.

Samsung Pulls Plug on Plasma Production
Probably an increase in price rather than clearance. People were in for a rude awakening when the same thoughts were expressed regarding the discontinued Panasonics. Pent up demand with dwindling supply equates to a rise in prices, at least when the main outlets no longer have them in inventory.
post #882 of 893 Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
my bad guys. sorry. it was the F8000 model.

Last edited by caloyzki; 07-10-2014 at 07:29 AM.
post #883 of 893 Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxBR View Post
Sears finally has my TV and delivery is scheduled for this coming weekend. I haven't gotten the shop at home cashback yet. I put in an inquiry with Shop at Home to see what the issue is.
Did you ever hear back from Shop at Home? I never received my cashback and they haven't responded to an inquiry I put in 10 days or so ago.

Last edited by koan; 07-11-2014 at 10:39 AM.
post #884 of 893 Old 07-11-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
Did you ever hear back from Shop at Home? I never received my cashback and they haven't responded to an inquiry I put in 10 days or so ago.
Is this the "Shop Your Way" program?; - I got 100,000 points when I bought my sammy, but I thought it was toward a discount on another purchase.
post #885 of 893 Old 07-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBronx View Post
Is this the "Shop Your Way" program?; - I got 100,000 points when I bought my sammy, but I thought it was toward a discount on another purchase.
No, ShopAtHome.com is a cashback site like ebates and FatWallet. They had a 10% cashback promotion going for Sears on the Memorial Day weekend, coinciding with the Sears sale of the 60" F8500 for $1999.99. I also got the 100,000 Shop Your Way points that can be used on a future purchase.

Last edited by koan; 07-11-2014 at 06:30 PM.
post #886 of 893 Old 07-11-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 165
... savvy promo stacking.

I've used those other 3, but never shopathome. Hopefully for your sake they're not the Abes of Maine among cashback sites.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #887 of 893 Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM

Liked: 14
I actually did get the shopathome cash back eventually. It came on 07/03, but I had already cancelled the order and delivery on 06/27 because I assumed I was never getting the cash back. I decided to wait for OLED anyway. They never answered my inquiry, it just showed up. I hope they don't send me the check since they need to take the money back.
post #888 of 893 Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Liked: 0
Thumbs down F8500 64 inch - Paul's - Out of Stock - no supply fro Samsung

Last Sunday I ordered the F8500 64 inch for 15% off from Paul's. I was thrilled to get such a great price from an authorized dealer that got good reviews for this forum.

On Monday, I called to (1) get tracking info and (2) to get the price fixed on my credit card (I was charged the regular price). They agreed to credit my card and said it would take 3-5 business days. They also said an email would go 1-2 days with my tracking.

I called every other day and got no info on my shipment. I called today (Saturday) and got the same answer. It finally got escalated and I got a call back. I was told they were out of stock and that Samsung was not going to supply any more of those sets. They tried to sell me the 60 inch, but I said no. So they will refund my card (I hope).

Take aways:
1. There appear to be no more 64 inch F8500s in Samsung's inventory and no more are being made. If you want one, best you get on it.

2. Paul's was very friendly, though they could have told me this much earlier. Be sure to push when your product isn't shipping in 1-2 days, especially with inventory evaporating. Don't get stuck with a refund if what you really want is a TV.

3. Please post any deals from authorized dealers that you hear of. Would very much like to get my hands on a 64". Especially at the price Paul's offered: $2634.
post #889 of 893 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Take your receipt / paperwork to your local Best Buy with a Magnolia and try for a price match. Don't mention that Paul's can't fill it / get more. Give them some story about how you'd rather do business with them over Paul's...
post #890 of 893 Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

Liked: 0
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Take your receipt / paperwork to your local Best Buy with a Magnolia and try for a price match. Don't mention that Paul's can't fill it / get more. Give them some story about how you'd rather do business with them over Paul's...
Great idea except the receipt is for 3099.
post #891 of 893 Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote4Plasma View Post
Even at 3099 you may want to head down to MagHiFi/BestBuy anyway(if you really want the display) as they may be running out of of stock on hand as well. My sales guy told me a week ago they had some in their SF bay area warehouse and had 20 more ordered, but now I'm concerned that situation may have changed so I'm headed down to see him right now.

I had read that Samsung would cease production in November, but I don't recall if that date included the 65" model, it may have been just the smaller plasma sizes that probably sell quicker.
post #892 of 893 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Liked: 12
Any working coupons for Paul's TV?
I am ready to pull the trigger on PN60F8500....

Thanks in advance
post #893 of 893 Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote4Plasma View Post
How's that work exactly? The receipt shows you paid more than you did?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page