Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1119 Old 07-15-2014, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
I guess I snagged one of the last 64s from Pauls at the $2,634 price. I was told that White Glove Delivery is included, and that they would bring the box into the house, unbox it, inspect it, and power it on, but that they don't connect to a source.

I also have about 2 weeks left on a price-match guaranty, so I'm hoping another authorized dealer runs a great sale, but I'm not holding my breath.
Wow awesome! When did you purchase yours from Paul's? I called there yesterday before ordering from Nice Electronics and Paul's said they were completely sold out of the 64" and would not be getting anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1119 Old 07-16-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Wow awesome! When did you purchase yours from Paul's? I called there yesterday before ordering from Nice Electronics and Paul's said they were completely sold out of the 64" and would not be getting anymore.
Shortly before the 4th of July. Haven't had it delivered yet because I'm moving into a new house that's not quite ready. The shipper was somewhat surprised when I asked if he could delay delivery by a couple of weeks (his words: "well that's a first").
post #903 of 1119 Old 07-18-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Finally bit the bullet, managed to negotiate a price of $1999 for the 60" from an authorized dealer (hint: contact these retailers directly to see if they offer better non-advertised pricing!). Hoping for a non-buzzer. Once I ascertain that, I'll add the Costco Squaretrade $90 warranty that covers years 3-5, while Samsung covers year 1 and Visa covers year 2.
post #904 of 1119 Old 07-18-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you need to be a member of costco to get the warranty
post #905 of 1119 Old 07-18-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLINH View Post
Do you need to be a member of costco to get the warranty
No, they just add a 5% ($4.50) surcharge.
post #906 of 1119 Old 07-20-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote4Plasma View Post
Take aways:
1. There appear to be no more 64 inch F8500s in Samsung's inventory and no more are being made. If you want one, best you get on it.

3. Please post any deals from authorized dealers that you hear of. Would very much like to get my hands on a
64". Especially at the price Paul's offered: $2634.

In regards to #1 , it could just be that Paul's is no longer going to carry the 64, which is why they were offering it at "Clearance" pricepoint rather than Samsung's dictated price of $3,099.99. Can any authorized retailer confirm whether or not Samsung is out of inventory on the 64, and/or whether Samsung plans to continue to make and sell the 64 through the end of the year when Samsung shuts down Plasma production? Or is it a situation where for the 64 supplies are dwindling and there won't be any more, as if that's the case then anyone (myself included) who wants a 64 better buy one now.

For #3 above, I'm also interested in deals from authorized dealers on the 64. Has anyone seen Best Buy sell this set for anything less than $2,999.99? I see right now it's $3,099.99, and on this forum someone said a few months back they were selling it for $2,999 before Samsung raised the price to the current $3,099 price.

If Best Buy hasn't sold it for less than $2,999 (which is only $100 cheaper than today's price), and it doesn't look like Samsung will be lowering their price (just sell existing inventory until it's gone), than it doesn't make sense to wait and hold out for a better price. As others have said, if supply starts to dwindle Samsung could just jack up the price even further as people start to panic and buy what remaining inventory is left.
post #907 of 1119 Old 07-20-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 65
^^ if Samsung raises the price higher I might as well look at buying lg OLED.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #908 of 1119 Old 07-20-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
^^ if Samsung raises the price higher I might as well look at buying lg OLED.
You could. Only thing is I think right now almost everyone except LG is pulling out of OLED and focusing on LED as both Samsung and Sony are not having a good year financially. So there won't be a lot of competition in the 4k OLED space for at least another couple years. Then factor in that this is still first generation of OLED and looking at plasma it took almost 7 yrs from the first generation for prices to come down to a reasonable level. So if that's the case, it could be 5-7+ years before we start to see competition in the 4k OLED space and thus for prices to hit a reasonable level. Plus, with any technology, first generation will have issues that won't be present 5-7 years from now (think early plasma burn in problems).

So the options are really to buy Samsung f8500 plasma now, hold out for a better deal (running the risk it could sell out or the price could even go up), or just wait for 4k OLED (which might be 5-7 years before a decent price emerges). Which is why I've personally decided I won't wait on 4k OLED and will instead get a Samsung f8500 plasma. I just need to decide if I should buy now at $3,099, or if I should hold out hoping it will go on sale at some point. Bur from what I can gather, Best Buy and Amazon don't fluctuate away from what Samsung sells it for, and lifetime Amazon (excluding 3rd party sellers) hasn't sold the 64 for less than $2,897 (only $200 less than today's price). So there is no evidence Amazon or Best Buy will suddenly offer these sets for anything less than today's $3,099 price.
post #909 of 1119 Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
You could. Only thing is I think right now almost everyone except LG is pulling out of OLED and focusing on LED as both Samsung and Sony are not having a good year financially. So there won't be a lot of competition in the 4k OLED space for at least another couple years. Then factor in that this is still first generation of OLED and looking at plasma it took almost 7 yrs from the first generation for prices to come down to a reasonable level. So if that's the case, it could be 5-7+ years before we start to see competition in the 4k OLED space and thus for prices to hit a reasonable level. Plus, with any technology, first generation will have issues that won't be present 5-7 years from now (think early plasma burn in problems).

So the options are really to buy Samsung f8500 plasma now, hold out for a better deal (running the risk it could sell out or the price could even go up), or just wait for 4k OLED (which might be 5-7 years before a decent price emerges). Which is why I've personally decided I won't wait on 4k OLED and will instead get a Samsung f8500 plasma. I just need to decide if I should buy now at $3,099, or if I should hold out hoping it will go on sale at some point. Bur from what I can gather, Best Buy and Amazon don't fluctuate away from what Samsung sells it for, and lifetime Amazon (excluding 3rd party sellers) hasn't sold the 64 for less than $2,897 (only $200 less than today's price). So there is no evidence Amazon or Best Buy will suddenly offer these sets for anything less than today's $3,099 price.
I was more comparing 1080p OLED to 1080p plasma. Right now 4k is selling at a premium across all techs. The 55" lg OLED tv has hit $1999 price for about a week at micro enter stores and frys has sold them for about $3000. Now I suspect once lg new OLED manufacturing plant is up and running (very soon)full capacity pumping out thousands panels every day, prices will start dropping again. Especially since there's rumors of lg selling there panels to other vendors.

4k is controversial with diminishing returns. You really need to be 65" + in size in size at about 6 feet to get any benefit. Then there's the whole 4k uhd standards that keep evolving with no content or much support.

Sony has had a rough time financially selling tvs in the whole flat panel era.

There's gen 2 lg OLED tvs on the way. Speculated to improve upon things. But OLED has a pretty good first gen product even better when comparing it to plasma and LCD first gen.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #910 of 1119 Old 07-21-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
I was more comparing 1080p OLED to 1080p plasma. Right now 4k is selling at a premium across all techs. The 55" lg OLED tv has hit $1999 price for about a week at micro enter stores and frys has sold them for about $3000. Now I suspect once lg new OLED manufacturing plant is up and running (very soon)full capacity pumping out thousands panels every day, prices will start dropping again. Especially since there's rumors of lg selling there panels to other vendors.

4k is controversial with diminishing returns. You really need to be 65" + in size in size at about 6 feet to get any benefit. Then there's the whole 4k uhd standards that keep evolving with no content or much support.

Sony has had a rough time financially selling tvs in the whole flat panel era.

There's gen 2 lg OLED tvs on the way. Speculated to improve upon things. But OLED has a pretty good first gen product even better when comparing it to plasma and LCD first gen.
You make a good point, I wasn't considering 1080p OLED. I realize that all articles say you need to be 65"+ and a ways back to realize any benefit from 4k, and that simply isn't true. The biggest problem I see as you point out is the lack of standards and thus the lack of available content. But if you watch a 1080p blu ray and the 4k demo content, you can see the 4k set is amazingly more clear (especially in the back ground). But considering they cost 2-3 times what a 1080p set costs, it isn't worth the extra cost at this point.

When considering OLED read the following article from CNET. Main things to note are that there still isn't solid numbers on lifespan (blue pixel dies much faster than others), there are still a large number of defective units because OLED manufacturing is still in it's infancy, the only size option available right now is 55", and LG is the only game in town (which uses different technology than Samsung (read CNET article). Main things I'd be worried about are longevity (lifespan) of blue pixel and the high number of defective panels, especially considering the premium price.

http://www.cnet.com/news/seven-probl...d-televisions/
post #911 of 1119 Old 07-21-2014, 07:40 PM

Disney WOW and aging the Panel?

I have a question you guys. I was mentioning earlier that I ordered my 64F8500 from Nice Electronics. AM Home Delivery is shipping it. I do not plan to have it professionally calibrated because I am not a super videophile (and I don't have the funds for it) but I do care about good quality viewing. I bought the Disney WOW blu-ray and I plan use the basic calibration tools on the disc. Do I need to follow the same rules in terms of aging the panel by running slides or will it be okay just to use the Disney WOW disc and calibrate the TV out of the box?
post #912 of 1119 Old 07-22-2014, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 132
No need for slides.
StinDaWg and HLdan like this.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #913 of 1119 Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I wanted to wait till black friday/ cyber Monday but since Samsung is shutting down production November 30th do you think the Samsung plasmas will even be on sale at that time???
post #914 of 1119 Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traps View Post
I wanted to wait till black friday/ cyber Monday but since Samsung is shutting down production November 30th do you think the Samsung plasmas will even be on sale at that time???
That's uncertain. Just because they end production in November any existing supply would still need to be sold. Another question is whether or not we'll actually see any meaningful price drops on the f8500. At this point I'm skeptical we'll see any meaningful price drops (meaning Samsung lowers their price, which lowers price at Best Buy, Amazon and other retailers). f8500 is only premium plasma left on market with no competition (outside from OLED, which is still more expensive), and with high demand Samsung doesn't have any incentive to cut the price. They can sit back and just wait until they sell out.

Only real price drops to date have been primarily centered around retailers who are closing out that line and clearance pricing them (and once they are closed out, they won't get any more). That is only leeway they really have from Samsung pricing, which is pretty strict for Authorized Retailers.

Looking at the 60", it is already at about the historical low price on Amazon (sold by Amazon). The 64" is still not discounted as much as the 60" is, and looking at history it looks like the lowest price the 64" hit (2,899) was around August/September of last year, so we'll see if we see anything similar this year.

But I highly doubt we'll see firesale prices, outside of any merchants who are stuck with inventory and they put them on clearance to close out remaining inventory.
post #915 of 1119 Old 07-22-2014, 11:38 AM

Agree w/ Bobby. Chatted with Paul's TV, and they wouldn't budge a dime on their price even when I mentioned they recently offered 15% off. he said "We had more inventory when we ran that promo; now we are low and Samsung isn't restocking us, so we can't offer a discount" and followed it up with "We'd love to get more of these sets but Samsung just won't provide any more".

I'd watch the authorized retailers on ebay. Often times beachcamera and/or buydig run nice promotions there behind hidden pricing. For example, they had the 65f8000 for $1999 recently, presumably as part of a closeout. But certainly the F8500 is a better unit and retailers may not need to offer closeout pricing.
post #916 of 1119 Old 07-22-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
That's uncertain. Just because they end production in November any existing supply would still need to be sold. Another question is whether or not we'll actually see any meaningful price drops on the f8500. At this point I'm skeptical we'll see any meaningful price drops (meaning Samsung lowers their price, which lowers price at Best Buy, Amazon and other retailers). f8500 is only premium plasma left on market with no competition (outside from OLED, which is still more expensive), and with high demand Samsung doesn't have any incentive to cut the price. They can sit back and just wait until they sell out.

Only real price drops to date have been primarily centered around retailers who are closing out that line and clearance pricing them (and once they are closed out, they won't get any more). That is only leeway they really have from Samsung pricing, which is pretty strict for Authorized Retailers.

Looking at the 60", it is already at about the historical low price on Amazon (sold by Amazon). The 64" is still not discounted as much as the 60" is, and looking at history it looks like the lowest price the 64" hit (2,899) was around August/September of last year, so we'll see if we see anything similar this year.

But I highly doubt we'll see firesale prices, outside of any merchants who are stuck with inventory and they put them on clearance to close out remaining inventory.
That's true. Amazon is still overpriced. Best deal I've found is 60 inch f8500 for $1599 shipped. No reason to even get the 51 inch because for a couple hundred you get more screen real estate. I think I'm just gonna buy it asap before price goes up or they sell out.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?i...0F8500&&kbid=*
post #917 of 1119 Old 07-22-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
That's true. Amazon is still overpriced. Best deal I've found is 60 inch f8500 for $1599 shipped. No reason to even get the 51 inch because for a couple hundred you get more screen real estate. I think I'm just gonna buy it asap before price goes up or they sell out.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?i...0F8500&&kbid=*
Abes is a known scammer. You will be asked to

1) Pay more for the 2014 model instead of the "2013 model you ordered"
2) Required to pay for shipping insurance, which usually costs $100-$300
3) Upsold on other items

If you refuse 1 and 2, your order will likely sit in perpetuity. If you need to cancel....good luck.

Finally, their return policy is that they do not accept returns. Sure hope you don't get a buzzer!
post #918 of 1119 Old 07-22-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
samsung pnXXf8500 plasma TV

Traps,

Exactly what dealer did you find offering a pn60f8500 for $1599 delivered? I hope it wasn't Abe's of Maine, but I'm curious to know. I'm on the hunt.

HLDan,

Care to share your purchasing experience with Nice Electronics?

Has anyone been able to definitely determine whether there is a hardware differentiation between the 2013 and 2014 models? I would like to know why Nice Electronics is quoting such a higher price for the "2014" models? I am trying to leave no stone unturned. This one has me baffled.

Thankx, JLC
post #919 of 1119 Old 07-22-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtudoor View Post
Traps,

Exactly what dealer did you find offering a pn60f8500 for $1599 delivered? I hope it wasn't Abe's of Maine, but I'm curious to know. I'm on the hunt.

HLDan,

Has anyone been able to definitely determine whether there is a hardware differentiation between the 2013 and 2014 models? I would like to know why Nice Electronics is quoting such a higher price for the "2014" models? I am trying to leave no stone unturned. This one has me baffled.

Thankx, JLC
Sadly it is Abes of Maine. Their BBB rating is an A+ so I didn't know they were scammers looks like I'll avoid them too ...
post #920 of 1119 Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Sadly it is Abes of Maine. Their BBB rating is an A+ so I didn't know they were scammers looks like I'll avoid them too ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtudoor View Post
Traps,

HLDan,

Thankx, JLC
While I have to agree with others that want to avoid Abe's of Maine I don't think the appropriate wording to describe them is necessarily "Scammer", but more of Bait and Switch tactics. When Google-searching "Samsung PN64F8500" under shopping it returns results of incredibly low prices ranging from $2100+ to $2300+. These prices are generally from Abe's of Maine, Nice Electronics and East Coast TV's.
Well I actually bought my 2012 Panny GT50 from Abe's of Maine. I did get it for a "good" price with free shipping and they did not inflate the cost with any shipping insurance. The TV was delivered and they brought it inside my house, took it out of the box and plugged it to make sure it was working before they left. Sounds good so far right? Well yes and no. Upon ordering my Panny online I got a phone call from Abe's immediately trying to upsell me on the extended warranty which I did not want. They tried everything to push it and I got frustrated and hung up. They called me back with more warranty pushing. They even tried scare tactics. They even emailed me trying to upsell me. Their manager even called me and tried. They gave the impression that they wouldn't delivery it unless I bought the warranty. After getting upset with the manager he put the order through.

Afterwards I went online to resellerratings.com and wrote a complaint about them. The weird thing is they had at the time 9/10 rating. Nearly every post was very positive about them. I couldn't believe it. I posted a very long post about their warranty sales pressure and how rude they were to constantly call me. I ended up receiving an email from the Abe's management asking me to call to resolve the issue. I did. They offered me a $100 restaurant coupon (they are virtually useless, IMO) "IF" I removed my negative post and posted something positive. I couldn't believe they did that. That's when I realized how they got a 9/10 rating. They coerce unhappy customers to remove their post and print a retraction. NOT GOOD. I will never buy from them again.

Now with my 64F8500, I ordered it from Nice Electronics. They too had it for $2179+. When I inquired about it they said it was the 2013 version software in it with an LG panel. I wasn't aware Samsung would use anything but their own panels. The sales guy assured me that the $3,099 model had the 2014 software in it, a build date in 2014 and an actual Samsung panel. Since there was such a price difference he offered to split the price difference of the "2013" and "2014" version. So I paid $2540 shipped. When I asked him the total of the $2179 model he said there would be shipping insurance and I would have to pay for the upgraded delivery which would bring the cost within $50 of the "newer" version. I asked what type of delivery I would be getting with the more expensive model, he assured me it would be White Glove Delivery. After dealing first with Abe's, then East Coast (The worst of the three) I decided to get the newest model from Nice. They were actually the only friendly store of the bunch. Both Abe's and East Coast had very arrogant and pushy sales people. Abe's also said their cheaper model was a commercial version that didn't come with the 3D glasses and had a 90 day warranty.

I called Samsung and they did in fact confirm there is a commercial version of the F8500 with a 90 day warranty. They only recommend it for businesses.

So far my delivery date for my F8500 from Nice Electronics will be this friday. Upon receiving it I will report back. BTW, they were not at all pushy about the extended warranty. The offered it once and while I didn't necessarily decline, I just asked could I get it later. They said yes. You could buy it through us within 7 days of your purchase. No other sales tactics, no pressure. In fact they said they offer 6 months free tech support if I have any questions or need help setting up or adjusting my TV. So far my experience has been good with them. I will give you guys another update after my Friday delivery.

One note: THEY ALL are performing the Bait and Switch tactic. At the end they intend for you to pay for the more expensive model (at a reduced cost of course). I'm not even convinced there really are two models at their store. It's just to bait you to their store. No worries, I got a great price, decent service from Nice. Hopefully the TV comes perfect out of the box and they hold up to their promise of White Glove Delivery.

Last edited by HLdan; 07-22-2014 at 04:28 PM.
post #921 of 1119 Old 07-22-2014, 07:42 PM

What everyone mentioned above about finding the f8500 for such a cheap price, 99% of the time these are grey market sellers and are NOT Authorized Samsung retailers. This is why the price is so low. Includes places like Abes, East Coast TV's, Nice, etc. To an extent, you get what you pay for. There is a reason they sell for so cheap.

The f8500 Samsung has under UPP policy which says that Authorized Samsung retailers MUST sell high end devices like f8500 for the SAME PRICE that Samsung themselves sell it for. This is why Best Buy, Amazon, Newegg, Buydig.com, and other Authorized retailers have it for such a high price. The only time an Authorized retailer can sell for less than Samsung is if they are closing out this line and will not carry it any longer (i.e. put it on clearance). If they sell for less than Samsung, Samsung will refuse to sell future inventory to that seller and could even strip them of Authorized retailer status. Reputable Authorized retailers don't want to risk this so they play ball.

So in this case, if you find a steal of a deal, 99% of the time you are NOT dealing with an Authorized retailer. You need to consider what happens if the unit is defective, etc. Best Buy if it's defective they will come to your house and pick it up and drop off a replacement. You pay more for the TV, but you get much better service at the end of the day. Same with Amazon or other Reputable Authorized retailers.

So I would ONLY deal with Reputable Authorized Samsung retailers. As far as how shady places like Abes can get such good ratings, someone pointed out that there are companies that advertise for a fee they will go online and "cleanup" your online reputation (presumably by posting bogus reviews that say everything was rosy, bringing up your score). So just looking at their rating in Google Shopping doesn't mean jack. See if they are a Trusted merchant or not. If not a trusted merchant, I'd be weary.
post #922 of 1119 Old 07-23-2014, 04:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Good post Bobby.

Even though Dan got what is probably a good price (lets see how things go on Friday), its still pretty obvious that "Nice" bated him in at one price and sold to him at a higher price for what should have been the lower price. My concern is that if a vendor is obviously being dishonest about pricing, what else are they going to do?

And what is this about Samsung having F8500s that are commercial version with only a 90 day warranty? Has anyone else confirmed this?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #923 of 1119 Old 07-23-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Good post Bobby.

Even though Dan got what is probably a good price (lets see how things go on Friday), its still pretty obvious that "Nice" bated him in at one price and sold to him at a higher price for what should have been the lower price. My concern is that if a vendor is obviously being dishonest about pricing, what else are they going to do?

And what is this about Samsung having F8500s that are commercial version with only a 90 day warranty? Has anyone else confirmed this?
Absolutely right about bait and switch, and also it sounds like the sales people will feed you any line of BS to get you to pay more than they advertised. Like the whole 2013 vs 2014 model stuff, the f8500 is ONLY a 2013 model and specific units were manufactured in either 2013 or 2014. It is suspicious to have a f8500 that was manufactured in 2013 and hasn't sold yet considering the extremely high demand for this TV (Samsung had a hard time keeping up).

Another thing that is worrisome is the fact they said one unit had an LG panel and another unit (for higher price) had Samsung panel. First, how would they even KNOW that? It's not like a retailer would even know what panel is in the TV, unless it is one they paid to have fixed and know the panel was replaced with an LG panel for example. Also brings up the fact when you buy from a grey market seller like Nice or Abes, you have no idea what you are getting. No guarantee you are getting new, you could be getting refurbished or a defective or broken unit that was fixed. Pretty big gamble when their return policy (if they even have one) says the second the delivery guy leaves you can NOT return an item as defective and have to work with the manufacturer. So if you get a "buzzer" or one with other issues, you'll have to work with Samsung and what happens if the device you got Samsung won't honor the warranty?

Lots of stuff to be worried about even if you end up saving $500+. It might work out, but then again it might not. And just because one person may have dodged a bullet and it worked out for them, if others buy from the same dealer eventually someone will get ripped off, it's just a matter of time. So I personally won't tempt fate just to save some money, knowing it will likely cost me more in the long run. If that means I have to pay $3,100 to buy from Best Buy rather than Nice, than so be it. Another thing is Best Buy if you sign up for their credit card you can get 10% back in rewards (assuming you aren't an elite or elite premier member). That's over $300, which technically brings the price down to $2,800 on the 64". If you are elite premier, you get 25% back in rewards. Plus, your return window gets bumped up to 45 days once you get elite premier status (once you spend 3,500 in a yr at Best Buy).

Last edited by bobby2478; 07-23-2014 at 08:17 AM.
post #924 of 1119 Old 07-23-2014, 08:40 AM

Liked: 16
Gosh, this "UPP Policy" sounds an awful lot like price fixing. Anyway, not sure how Paul's was selling them for 15% off, but glad I snagged one while they lasted.

It's really too bad Samsung didn't produce a less expensive f7000 version with the same PQ but stripped out the extras I won't use anyway. I don't need a bunch of silly apps and popup camera. My prior TV was a d7000 and it was an exceptional value, but it stayed with the house I sold. I suspect Samsung got a little burned on that with people wisely opting for the 7000 over the 8000, so they dropped the mid-tier line.
post #925 of 1119 Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
Gosh, this "UPP Policy" sounds an awful lot like price fixing. Anyway, not sure how Paul's was selling them for 15% off, but glad I snagged one while they lasted.

It's really too bad Samsung didn't produce a less expensive f7000 version with the same PQ but stripped out the extras I won't use anyway. I don't need a bunch of silly apps and popup camera. My prior TV was a d7000 and it was an exceptional value, but it stayed with the house I sold. I suspect Samsung got a little burned on that with people wisely opting for the 7000 over the 8000, so they dropped the mid-tier line.
That's basically what it amounts to, but legally it isn't price fixing as merchants can sell for whatever price they want. And Samsung can choose who they want to do business with.

As for Paul's, what I'd assume is that they were closing out that line and sold them for that discounted price. And once they did, Samsung must have gotten wind of it and now will not sell Paul's any more of the f8500 (someone said they talked to Paul's and they said Samsung wouldn't sell them any more f8500s). That is what happens if you don't sell it for UPP price, Samsung can refuse to sell you any more. Which is why you don't see Best Buy, Amazon and others doing this. They want to continue to sell Samsung so they price it the same that Samsung is selling for (within $5 of one another).
post #926 of 1119 Old 07-23-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 516
I suspect Paul's can't get any more because there distributor is out of stock and Samsung isn't making more. The supply is starting to dry up.
Schwa likes this.
post #927 of 1119 Old 07-23-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I suspect Paul's can't get any more because there distributor is out of stock and Samsung isn't making more. The supply is starting to dry up.
Not sure what you mean by Samsung isn't making any more. Their plants are still going strong and won't shut down production until November. I don't see supply drying up at major retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, New Egg, etc. Amazon for example went from 8 to 16 units available for the 64" just over the past few days.

Plus, if you get from a distributor you likely aren't a Samsung Authorized retailer. If you are, you would buy directly from Samsung.
post #928 of 1119 Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by Samsung isn't making any more. Their plants are still going strong and won't shut down production until November. I don't see supply drying up at major retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, New Egg, etc. Amazon for example went from 8 to 16 units available for the 64" just over the past few days.

Plus, if you get from a distributor you likely aren't a Samsung Authorized retailer. If you are, you would buy directly from Samsung.
Your theory has so many holes in it that it might as well be Swiss cheese.

No one knows if their plants are going strong or not and what panels they're currently making (if they're currently making them). They announced that their plants would be shut down no later than Nov. 30. They didn't say they would be running them through Nov. 30. Usually when companies make those sort of announcements they mean something like, "We're shutting these down as soon as possible and it will absolutely be done by Nov. 30. Samsung execs told Mark (imagic) several weeks ago that the F8500 was going to get scarce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Over to the side, I saw a 64-inch Samsung UN64F8500 plasma on open-box clearance. I bought it immediately because just a few days earlier at CE Week in NYC, a Samsung exec told me that the F8500 was going to start to become "hard to find."
Chris at Cleveland AV said one of his vendors says the F8500 is gone and can't get anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I have one vender who says the 8500 are all gone and they can not get any more. I have another guy who still has them.
Further, Paul's had all sorts of discounts on other UPP Samsung products and they're still selling those and haven't found themselves unable to get 'em. You think Samsung is that selective? They wouldn't cut off Paul's supply of all their products, just the F8500 and not the other UPP products?
post #929 of 1119 Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Your theory has so many holes in it that it might as well be Swiss cheese.

No one knows if their plants are going strong or not and what panels they're currently making (if they're currently making them). They announced that their plants would be shut down no later than Nov. 30. They didn't say they would be running them through Nov. 30. Usually when companies make those sort of announcements they mean something like, "We're shutting these down as soon as possible and it will absolutely be done by Nov. 30. Samsung execs told Mark (imagic) several weeks ago that the F8500 was going to get scarce.

Chris at Cleveland AV said one of his vendors says the F8500 is gone and can't get anymore.

Further, Paul's had all sorts of discounts on other UPP Samsung products and they're still selling those and haven't found themselves unable to get 'em. You think Samsung is that selective? They wouldn't cut off Paul's supply of all their products, just the F8500 and not the other UPP products?
I was only talking about Paul's specific to the F8500, and mentioned it as a POSSIBLE reason why. Never said it WAS the reason. And you are right we don't know when Samsung will shut down production of the F8500, however they DID say they would continue to make them through the end of the year (which is more specific than saying they'll be done by November). Here is the quote:

Quote:
"We plan to continue our PDP TV business until the end of this year, due to changes in market demands. We remain committed to providing consumers with products that meet their needs, and will increase our focus on growth opportunities in UHD TV's and Curved TV's."
The supply COULD get scarce, but as of right now the only people who have apparently reported this are Paul's and Cleveland Plasma. Amazon and Best Buy continue to get new stock every week, so they obviously aren't having difficulty getting new units. But you are right we don't know when they WILL become scarce, so if people want one the only way to be sure is to buy one NOW and not wait to find out.
post #930 of 1119 Old 07-23-2014, 01:35 PM

Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwest2 View Post
Agree w/ Bobby. Chatted with Paul's TV, and they wouldn't budge a dime on their price even when I mentioned they recently offered 15% off. he said "We had more inventory when we ran that promo; now we are low and Samsung isn't restocking us, so we can't offer a discount" and followed it up with "We'd love to get more of these sets but Samsung just won't provide any more".

I'd watch the authorized retailers on ebay. Often times beachcamera and/or buydig run nice promotions there behind hidden pricing. For example, they had the 65f8000 for $1999 recently, presumably as part of a closeout. But certainly the F8500 is a better unit and retailers may not need to offer closeout pricing.
Paul's did run out of inventory, both the 60" and 64" were out of stock. However, they are both currently back in stock. They must have gotten another shipment from somewhere.
igreg likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn64f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page