Samsung f8500 pricing reduction? - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 3004 Old 07-23-2014, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm only seeing the 60" in stock online, but perhaps if you call/chat they've got more than that. For those snooping for a deal, track this site: http://www.naughtycodes.com/search-r...php?store=4686 It's very good at posting up-to-date coupons at Paul's and is where I've always seen the 15% off F8500 promo codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 3004 Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Long time lurker....1st time posting in this thread...

I went to my local Magnolia HiFi in San Diego (Mission Valley) and put 10% down on a full price ($2399) PN-60F8500.

Asked about a discount and the salesperson mentioned the UPP and very calmly described the entire policy.

I said, there are people getting 10 to 15 percent off, he said he can't do it. He would be happy to compensate in other ways.

He mentioned they only have about 40 of the 60" units left...divided amongst 30 or so stores...

I would get while the getting is good...I couldn't afford a Pioneer Elite Kuro, missed out on the Panasonic ZT series...so I made sure to get myself the last great 1080p display!

The King is dead...Long live The King.
Taheer19 likes this.

Hell hath no fury, like a women's scorn for Sega - Broadie.

Segaboy out..........

Last edited by Segaboy; 07-23-2014 at 03:13 PM.
post #933 of 3004 Old 07-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Good post Bobby.

Even though Dan got what is probably a good price (lets see how things go on Friday), its still pretty obvious that "Nice" bated him in at one price and sold to him at a higher price for what should have been the lower price. My concern is that if a vendor is obviously being dishonest about pricing, what else are they going to do?

And what is this about Samsung having F8500s that are commercial version with only a 90 day warranty? Has anyone else confirmed this?
Well, I don't think things are as bad with the unauthorized resellers as people are making them out to be. The only thing I said about my experience with Abe's in the past was their aggressiveness with pushing the extended warranty. My Panny GT50 plasma was delivered on time through WGD. They inspected the TV, plugged it in, plugged up my cable, went through the channels and made sure it was working. Nobody rushed me. The TV was brand new, sealed. It was manufactured one month before I purchased it. I had some banding issues months later and called Panasonic. They sent out a repair person and replaced my panel. I had no issues with the warranty.

Just my observation, it appears that these grey market retailers are wholesalers buying up plenty of inventory and selling them with very little markup. These products are not being shipped from outside the U.S. There's no reason for the manufacturer to deny warranty coverage. I personally haven't heard that ever happening. In terms of who gives the best service before and after the sale. I can tell you from personal experience. I am well over age 40 and have purchase from some of the biggest chains. I have always gotten mixed qualities of service. Either someone was short tempered over the phone, lacked knowledge, told me something that wasn't accurate about the product I was buying from them, pushed an extended warranty down my throat. Many times I couldn't get anyone to even help me with questions after I received the product. Service after the sale has been laxed with many retailers that were 100% authorized and claimed to be trained to sell the product but they appeared to run away after they got my money.

Even though you can return your products within14-30 days with the bigger authorized resellers, it's a big hassle so it's not as huge of a benefit having that piece of mind. I am certainly not an idiot. I wouldn't just drop $2500 in the lap of Nice Electronics just because their price was more attractive. I asked as many questions as I could. If I run into an issue I will deal with it and I will be sure to post it here so others can get an idea how these people are.

Buying from any retailer whether authorized or not will result in mixed experiences for every customer. Apple being one of the best in customer service has people posting on forums how badly they were treated at the Apple store. It's best to buy directly from the manufacturer if people want to minimize or eliminate the issues with retailers. Like I said in an earlier post. Paul's TV was amazing with their pre-sale customer service. I spoke to a guy named Will. He was very professional and I would've considered buying from his store since his place is in California where I happen to live but Will said they would not be getting anymore 64F8500's. Cleveland Plasma gave me just the opposite service over the phone. The guy I spoke with seemed short tempered, slightly arrogant and made it seem like it's "my loss" if I don't get one of these TV's before their gone for good.

As far as the commercial version of the F8500. It's mentioned on Samsung's website under the 8500's specs in the warranty section. It says the F8500 has a 1 year parts and labor warranty and the 90 days for commercial models.
DBronx likes this.
post #934 of 3004 Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I tried to get a price adjustment to the price after this code. I bought a few days earlier in the store for about $65 more. They claimed they had to submit some paperwork to corporate and corporate will make the call whether they will actually honor their 30 day price protection policy or not. Frankly, I don't have a lot of faith that they will.
Well, I never heard back from Paul's like the salesperson said I would. However, to my surprise I found a credit on my AmEx statement for the price difference + tax.
post #935 of 3004 Old 07-23-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
As far as the commercial version of the F8500. It's mentioned on Samsung's website under the 8500's specs in the warranty section. It says the F8500 has a 1 year parts and labor warranty and the 90 days for commercial models.
There's no such thing as a commercial model. The warranty simply states that if you use it commercially (like in a bar) the warranty is only 90 days. It's no different from if you buy a Honda mower and use it as a homeowner the warranty's duration is rather different than if you buy the same Honda mower and use it for your lawn mowing business.
post #936 of 3004 Old 07-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
There's no such thing as a commercial model. The warranty simply states that if you use it commercially (like in a bar) the warranty is only 90 days. It's no different from if you buy a Honda mower and use it as a homeowner the warranty's duration is rather different than if you buy the same Honda mower and use it for your lawn mowing business.
Yeah, I when I contacted Samsung they may have worded it wrong. It was over their instant message chat system. They said "commercial TV's have a 90 day warranty. But you're right, the website states "90 days Parts and Labor commercial use". I misunderstood that coupled with Samsung's chat agent. The bottom line is with the online resellers you're going to have to pay the higher price no matter what. They never intend for customers to buy the cheaper set since there really isn't such of one. It's obviously a made-up sales pitch.
post #937 of 3004 Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bought an open box 64F8500 at Best Buy for 2K
post #938 of 3004 Old 07-23-2014, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post
Sweet deal, good for you. What was the story on the open box?
post #939 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Yeah, I when I contacted Samsung they may have worded it wrong. It was over their instant message chat system. They said "commercial TV's have a 90 day warranty. But you're right, the website states "90 days Parts and Labor commercial use". I misunderstood that coupled with Samsung's chat agent. The bottom line is with the online resellers you're going to have to pay the higher price no matter what. They never intend for customers to buy the cheaper set since there really isn't such of one. It's obviously a made-up sales pitch.
Well we in europe get 2 years full factory warranty as consumers, parts and labor.
post #940 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
Sweet deal, good for you. What was the story on the open box?
good deal
For that type of discount...unless the TV was damaged I would have bought an open box as well and saved almost $1K

especially since the warranty starts from the day you buy and it right now BB has 10% back in reward zone points ...unless you use the 12-18 months same as cash financing

I bought my 64F8500..open box from the Conn's deal about last Christmas for $1797

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #941 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
good deal
For that type of discount...unless the TV was damaged I would have bought an open box as well and saved almost $1K

especially since the warranty starts from the day you buy and it right now BB has 10% back in reward zone points ...unless you use the 12-18 months same as cash financing

I bought my 64F8500..open box from the Conn's deal about last Christmas for $1797

Warren
It was return. Didn't see any bad pixels. Will really check it out on delivery.
They had a 55" Panny VT50 in the back. If it was the newer VT I would have bought that.
Conn's just came to Memphis in late spring. No F8500's..
post #942 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 08:03 AM

Buydig and Beachcamera (same company, both authorized resellers) have the 64f8500 open box for $1999. Only risk is that they will not accept returns. Secondarily, due to being an open box, you will not get any extended warranty benefit from your credit card nor be able to buy a 3rd party extended warranty (i.e. your warranty will be good for one year only).
post #943 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwest2 View Post
Buydig and Beachcamera (same company, both authorized resellers) have the 64f8500 open box for $1999. Only risk is that they will not accept returns. Secondarily, due to being an open box, you will not get any extended warranty benefit from your credit card nor be able to buy a 3rd party extended warranty (i.e. your warranty will be good for one year only).
I could never spend 2 grand on an open box with no return policy without being able to see it first in person. Some things are just too great of a risk to chance, even if I was made of money.
post #944 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I just bought a open box new condition 60f8500 from pauls (http://www.paulstv.com/Refurbs-and-O...-Condition.asp)

Does this mean that I don't get the 1 year Credit Card warranty, and cannot buy the square trade 3 year warranty from Costco?
post #945 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan027 View Post
I just bought a open box new condition 60f8500 from pauls (http://www.paulstv.com/Refurbs-and-O...-Condition.asp)

Does this mean that I don't get the 1 year Credit Card warranty, and cannot buy the square trade 3 year warranty from Costco?
Correct.
post #946 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Correct.
Where did you read this stuff? I'm reading through the terms on the AmEx extra 1 year warranty and don't see anything about exclusions of open box purchases.
post #947 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Where did you read this stuff? I'm reading through the terms on the AmEx extra 1 year warranty and don't see anything about exclusions of open box purchases.
I spoke with reps at Visa and Squaretrade. Perhaps Amex is different. Neither of the others count open box as "new".
post #948 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Guys, I just bought a 64F8500 from BB for $2,199. I told them that I found it cheaper online, showed them the abes price and they matched it! If you guys are looking for one give it a try.
post #949 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoeft87 View Post
Guys, I just bought a 64F8500 from BB for $2,199. I told them that I found it cheaper online, showed them the abes price and they matched it! If you guys are looking for one give it a try.
You got very lucky as Abe's is not an authorized dealer that I can see.

SAMSUNG AUTHORIZED RESELLERS

What specific Abe's ad did you show them?
post #950 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I spoke with reps at Visa and Squaretrade. Perhaps Amex is different. Neither of the others count open box as "new".
The AmEx agreement doesn't say anything about stuff having to be new.
post #951 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
You got very lucky as Abe's is not an authorized dealer that I can see.

SAMSUNG AUTHORIZED RESELLERS

What specific Abe's ad did you show them?
Agreed. In addition, from what I've heard the vast majority of Best Buy associates have been SPECIALLY TRAINED on Samsung's UPP, and to be extra weary about matching any prices on UPP protected products (like F8500). It typically would have to be an authorized retailer for them to do this. In addition, if you don't live in a location where there is an Abe's local to you (B&M store), it would be even less likely because it isn't listed as an online provider BB includes in their price match policy. Not saying it can't happen, saying it has got to be extremely rare and may be dependent on where you live and if the competitor has a local presence (vs online only).
post #952 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
Agreed. In addition, from what I've heard the vast majority of Best Buy associates have been SPECIALLY TRAINED on Samsung's UPP, and to be extra weary about matching any prices on UPP protected products (like F8500). It typically would have to be an authorized retailer for them to do this. In addition, if you don't live in a location where there is an Abe's local to you (B&M store), it would be even less likely because it isn't listed as an online provider BB includes in their price match policy. Not saying it can't happen, saying it has got to be extremely rare and may be dependent on where you live and if the competitor has a local presence (vs online only).
Yup, the person I've been dealing with at Mag HiFi is also a good friend of mine and he's said basically the same, new in box they can't do anything, open box is a different story but when it comes to a plasma display I'm very leery of the unit being used in torch mode for an extended length of time which can not be good for it.
post #953 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You got lucky. I tried to wheel and deal at BB and they flat out refused. I mentioned Paul's selling it for 15% off on the weekends and they still wouldn't budge. I got the UPP speech (and how it benefits the customer ) They said they could match Paul's if I could show them the discount in my shopping cart, but that was it.
post #954 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 03:03 PM

It was actually entirely over the phone. I told them to Google the model number and click on Google shopping, abes popped up as one of the cheapest and the sales guy said "oh abes, we have price matched them before".
post #955 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yup, the person I've been dealing with at Mag HiFi is also a good friend of mine and he's said basically the same, new in box they can't do anything, open box is a different story but when it comes to a plasma display I'm very leery of the unit being used in torch mode for an extended length of time which can not be good for it.
Pretty much matches up exactly from what I've read and noticed. Major retailers like BB, Amazon and Newegg don't just budge their prices, especially on high end Samsung UPP protected products like F8500. Which is why their prices are so much higher than grey market sellers like Abe's. With the F8500's in such high demand and selling like hot cakes for the most part, there is little to no incentive for Samsung to lower the price on these units, meaning major retailers likely won't lower their prices either.

I also agree about not wanting a display model that was run for months (or years) on end in torch mode, even if I got it 50% off. I'd consider an open box return that was like new, but in that case they typically won't discount it that much from cost of new.

I've gotten hosed with shady online retailers before on big ticket purchase, and the hassle about getting credit card reversal was not fun. So I'll stick with major reputable retailers like BB, Amazon, Newegg and the like vs taking my chances with less reputable retailer even if it costs me an extra $500.
post #956 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
It was actually entirely over the phone. I told them to Google the model number and click on Google shopping, abes popped up as one of the cheapest and the sales guy said "oh abes, we have price matched them before".
I didn't have any luck with the best buy's in my area trying that. They just refused to match anyone other than what was on their list.
post #957 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That's somewhat humorous considering even Abes won't sell you the TV for that price.
Hoeft87 likes this.
post #958 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 03:17 PM

It will be here in a week. If you guys didn't notice, I just joined up here and am a total plasma newb so I need your help! Lol
post #959 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 04:19 PM

That's how Abe's got me also when I saw the 51 inch version for 1,275 with free shipping, but that's the commercial model (that's what they tell you when they called) And if I wanted the retail model it would be for 1,799, although they did waived the White Glove Delivery and reduced it to 1,599

I does say that on their website but only if you search for that specific model number,

but with different SKU numbers, which shows two types, otherwise you would never know if you don't read it carefully,

That's how they bait you when you Google search the TV you want, and immediately shows the so-called cheaper version, but never shows you the retail price version,

And since the cheaper version have limited warranty, that's when they'll upsell you for extended warranty and charge you extra for delivery and shipping insurance.

Even though it clearly says free shipping

Last edited by acostapimps; 07-24-2014 at 04:23 PM.
post #960 of 3004 Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 PM

The sales guy at BB made it sound like these TVs are just sitting in warehouses and nobody is buying them. When I said the word plasma he responded with "whew, not many of those around here". They didn't even have the TV in stock, they had to order it. He said that they had like 3 managers talking about the possibility of matching the price and ended up calling their district manager to get the final OK.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page