Samsung f8500 pricing reduction? - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 3004 Old 08-20-2014, 05:44 AM
Member
 
atwnsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeraga View Post
I have a new Discover card and this is not a bad idea as long as Discover does not find out that Abe's isn't an authorized reseller. How did you submit Abe's price to them? Website screenshot or..? And how long did it take for the approval / refund? Just wondering IF they happen to deny soon enough, I'd still be able to return it.
I took a screen shot on the final checkout page. You have to call Discover and request a price protection claim. Then it takes 1-2 weeks to receive the paperwork. I completed the paperwork and mailed it back. While I won't receive a check for 6-8 weeks, I called 2 weeks after I mailed the completed paperwork and found out that I was approved.

Hope this helps.
KONICA TECH likes this.
atwnsw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 3004 Old 08-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Member
 
jaeraga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwnsw View Post
I took a screen shot on the final checkout page. You have to call Discover and request a price protection claim. Then it takes 1-2 weeks to receive the paperwork. I completed the paperwork and mailed it back. While I won't receive a check for 6-8 weeks, I called 2 weeks after I mailed the completed paperwork and found out that I was approved.

Hope this helps.
Good to know. Thanks!
KONICA TECH likes this.
jaeraga is offline  
post #1083 of 3004 Old 08-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
koan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Concerning the cashback offer and Best Buy, does the purchase have to be done via the linked to Best Buy site or can the purchase be made in store? I looked at the Discover site and it said the site, but did not say anything about in-store one way or the other.
I believe it's only via the click-through link on Discover's site, so the purchase is made at Best Buy's online site. That's how the cashback sites generally operate.
koan is offline  
post #1084 of 3004 Old 08-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
koan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeraga View Post
I have a new Discover card and this is not a bad idea as long as Discover does not find out that Abe's isn't an authorized reseller. How did you submit Abe's price to them? Website screenshot or..? And how long did it take for the approval / refund? Just wondering IF they happen to deny soon enough, I'd still be able to return it.
The Discover site states "If you see an item you purchased at any store at a lower price within 90 days, Discover will cover the difference." It does not specify that the price match has to be with an authorized reseller.

Last edited by koan; 08-20-2014 at 02:18 PM.
koan is offline  
post #1085 of 3004 Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Member
 
johnnycamp5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Woodbridge, NJ- USA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
East Coast TV's

Is this a good deal?-
http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Samsung-...1i7Aod-CcAbg?-
johnnycamp5 is offline  
post #1086 of 3004 Old 08-20-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
I WANT MORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Middle of Nowhere
Posts: 1,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 70
So, Could one use the discover price protection on this?

Perhaps I misremembered.

I WANT MORE is offline  
post #1087 of 3004 Old 08-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Member
 
johnnycamp5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Woodbridge, NJ- USA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycamp5 View Post
After some research, it looks like this may not be the best place for me to purchase this particular tv .
It may be best to pay an extra $800. or so from say a "Costco" or "Best Buy".
These stores are local to me, and a safe warranty (hopefully) is offered.
johnnycamp5 is offline  
post #1088 of 3004 Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycamp5 View Post
After some research, it looks like this may not be the best place for me to purchase this particular tv .
It may be best to pay an extra $800. or so from say a "Costco" or "Best Buy".
These stores are local to me, and a safe warranty (hopefully) is offered.
From experience alone I certainly wouldn't recommend ECTV's.
HLdan is offline  
post #1089 of 3004 Old 08-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Member
 
MikeD2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sad we have to stoop to (essentually) scamming Discover to get a deal on this TV.
Been waiting around for months thinking someone whould have a sale @ some point. At least now I know why it's not happening
MikeD2 is offline  
post #1090 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
I WANT MORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Middle of Nowhere
Posts: 1,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post
Sad we have to stoop to (essentually) scamming Discover to get a deal on this TV.
Been waiting around for months thinking someone whould have a sale @ some point. At least now I know why it's not happening
So, Are you frowning on the people who will take advantage of this opportunity or the manufactures for choosing to implement their UPP strategy?

Perhaps I misremembered.

I WANT MORE is offline  
post #1091 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Senior Member
 
bobby2478's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Since the Best Buy credit card is a MasterCard, I assume it has the same price protection benefit as all other MasterCard's. If so, it says you have 60 days. I'll start the ball rolling now to see if I can get them to match one of the grey market sellers like Abe's or East Coast TV's. If they do it's worth the hassle to get the price down, as well as get the 10% back in rewards from Best Buy to boot.


I checked with MasterCard and Price Protection is in fact a covered benefit for the Best Buy credit card. I filed a claim based on the East Coast TV's current price of $2,175, we'll see what happens. Although it appears there may be a $250 limit for any price protection claims with MasterCard, but even if it's only $250 it's better than nothing. Plus the $310 back in rewards from the 10% rewards promo, that would be a total of $460 off $3,099, which would put it at $2,639.

Last edited by bobby2478; 08-21-2014 at 08:37 AM.
bobby2478 is offline  
post #1092 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 AM
Member
 
MikeD2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
So, Are you frowning on the people who will take advantage of this opportunity or the manufactures for choosing to implement their UPP strategy?
Hmm, just saying I don't think it's how Discover intended this thing to work, so it's a bit of a grey area in my mind. Can't say I blame people for using it since they are honoring it. I could see them catching on & shutting it down without warning tho !

Definately frowning on the UPP policy. It's like the Sony "fair trade" price fixing crap from the '70's. It failed then & the only reason Sammy can get away with it now is they are the only choice for a plasma set. Can't imaging it being successful with LED sets since there is so much competition & sets just as good as theirs to chose from that are free market priced.

As much as I want the set, the whole business makes me not want to give them my $$ & look elsewhere.
MikeD2 is offline  
post #1093 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
bobby2478's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post
Hmm, just saying I don't think it's how Discover intended this thing to work, so it's a bit of a grey area in my mind. Can't say I blame people for using it since they are honoring it. I could see them catching on & shutting it down without warning tho !

Definately frowning on the UPP policy. It's like the Sony "fair trade" price fixing crap from the '70's. It failed then & the only reason Sammy can get away with it now is they are the only choice for a plasma set. Can't imaging it being successful with LED sets since there is so much competition & sets just as good as theirs to chose from that are free market priced.

As much as I want the set, the whole business makes me not want to give them my $$ & look elsewhere.

I don't see how people are taking advantage or scamming the credit card company. If they offer a price protection policy, and are willing to honor the few claims people actually submit, then you aren't doing anything shady. Think of it like a mail in rebate, only perhaps 10% of the population is willing to go through the hassle. And they all have caps, Discover allows a max of $500 per item, and both Citi and MasterCard allow a max of $250. So it's not limitless.


In regards to the price policy, it's not just Samsung. Samsung, Sony, Apple and a host of other manufacturers are engaging the same tactics which amount to price fixing. But not technically as merchants can still technically price them however they want, however all Authorized Retailers won't violate this policy as to not upset Samsung, Sony, Apple and other manufacturers.


I hate the policy too, just pointing out it isn't only Samsung, and if you want to boycott anyone who does this than I take it you won't buy anything from Apple, Sony or others either. If you really feel the need to place blame with someone, place it where it rightfully belongs: with our elected officials who allow this type of thing to occur in the first place.
bobby2478 is offline  
post #1094 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Newbie
 
mhanism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just watched the annual HDTV shootout sponsored by Value Electronics. And the rep. from Samsung mentioned they'd continue to manufacture and sell the F8500 through the "end of the year" give or take depending on demand.

That said, I think for those looking to purchase (like myself), we should have a few months cushion.
mhanism is offline  
post #1095 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 10,143
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Yes, but Samsung Display has set a hard date to shut down the factory. They will stop manufacturing the plasma panels. When Samsung stops making plasma TVs with those panels is a secondary question.
Stereodude is offline  
post #1096 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Yes, but Samsung Display has set a hard date to shut down the factory. They will stop manufacturing the plasma panels. When Samsung stops making plasma TVs with those panels is a secondary question.
Is that date the Nov 2014 that we've heard already, or is it a different date?
Keenan is offline  
post #1097 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
bobby2478's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
They'll continue to make panels through November of this year, however that doesn't say when they'll stop making specific models. For example there is obviously more demand for the 51" and the 60" than there is for the 64". So there is always a risk they stop making 64's before they stop making 60's or 51's.
bobby2478 is offline  
post #1098 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 459
I get that, but what Stereodude seems to be saying is that there's always the option for Samsung to out-source the panels they're using from someone other than Samsung Display once Samsung Display shuts down production. I think anyway, that's why I asked, I'm not sure exactly what he meant. I have a deposit to continuously "hold" a 64" while I continue to "play the field", but I don't want to end up with a different(out-sourced) panel should Samsung decide they still have a market for plasma once their own plasma plant has been shut down. Seems unlikely, but I'm just being cautious by asking.
Keenan is offline  
post #1099 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Senior Member
 
bobby2478's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The way I take the announcement from Samsung is that they will stop making not just the panels, but the TV's themselves this year. Meaning once they stop making them later this year and that supply runs out, they will no longer make any more. I highly doubt they'll continue to assemble and sell F8500's with someone else's panels in them after they end their own production.
bobby2478 is offline  
post #1100 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
I WANT MORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Middle of Nowhere
Posts: 1,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The East Coast price makes it almost worth the risk. Damn It!!!

Perhaps I misremembered.

I WANT MORE is offline  
post #1101 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 10,143
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Is that date the Nov 2014 that we've heard already, or is it a different date?
Yes, that's the date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I get that, but what Stereodude seems to be saying is that there's always the option for Samsung to out-source the panels they're using from someone other than Samsung Display once Samsung Display shuts down production.
Not really... My point was that Samsung (not Samsung SDI who makes the panels) won't be able to get panels from Samsung SDI after Nov 30th (perhaps sooner), so it's hard to understand how they could continue building the F8500 as long as the rep claimed unless they're stockpiling panels to put in TV. I was indirectly attempting to say that I'd take what the rep said at the VE shootout with a grain of salt, not that I think they will make the F8500 with LG panels.
Stereodude is offline  
post #1102 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
I just watched the annual HDTV shootout sponsored by Value Electronics. And the rep. from Samsung mentioned they'd continue to manufacture and sell the F8500 through the "end of the year" give or take depending on demand.

That said, I think for those looking to purchase (like myself), we should have a few months cushion.
That's not a wise way of looking at it and I assure you, you don't have much "cushion". As others have mentioned Samsung will continue to make Plasmas until November but it's a high chance of them only making very select models and in select sizes and without a doubt in very small quantities so if you want one now get it. Heck, some of the authorized retailers no longer have the 64" F8500. It's best to keep in mind than when Samsung announced they were discontinuing Plasma come November they already have shortened distribution. There are quite a few people here on AVS that regretted not getting the Panasonic ZT60 when they had the chance. Procrastination is not your best buddy.
HLdan is offline  
post #1103 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Yes, that's the date.


Not really... My point was that Samsung (not Samsung SDI who makes the panels) won't be able to get panels from Samsung SDI after Nov 30th (perhaps sooner), so it's hard to understand how they could continue building the F8500 as long as the rep claimed unless they're stockpiling panels to put in TV. I was indirectly attempting to say that I'd take what the rep said at the VE shootout with a grain of salt, not that I think they will make the F8500 with LG panels.
Thanks for the clarification, and I agree with you, a marketing rep is always going to be focused on pushing product, even if that product is dwindling in supply. After all, it just tied/beat the best at a performance oriented event so he's hardly going to say it's not available anymore and he even "pushed the envelope" on how long it would/might be available.


For those looking at Best Buy/MagHiFi as their purchase location, I checked with my salesman yesterday and for the west coast they have 47(64") in the warehouse, and even though they ordered over 20 more Samsung is only sending them 2 on the next purchase order. Maybe it's nothing, but maybe it's something, and November is only a little over 2 months away.
Keenan is offline  
post #1104 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
bobby2478's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
That's not a wise way of looking at it and I assure you, you don't have much "cushion". As others have mentioned Samsung will continue to make Plasmas until November but it's a high chance of them only making very select models and in select sizes and without a doubt in very small quantities so if you want one now get it. Heck, some of the authorized retailers no longer have the 64" F8500. It's best to keep in mind than when Samsung announced they were discontinuing Plasma come November they already have shortened distribution. There are quite a few people here on AVS that regretted not getting the Panasonic ZT60 when they had the chance. Procrastination is not your best buddy.
This is exactly why I bit the bullet and bought a 64" now, instead of holding out and hoping for a better deal. First, the F8500 is so popular they don't need to drastically drop the price to sell existing inventory. And you won't find clearance prices except when an authorized retailer like Paul's TV is clearancing out all inventory and won't get any more. The fact Best Buy ordered 20 and only got 2, there is definitely something to that considering other retailers like Paul's no longer get any of the 64".


Best case scenario, you might save a few hundred dollars, $500 at the most. In the end I decided it wasn't worth $500 to hold out waiting for a better deal while running the risk they sell out and I regret not getting one for the next 10 years. I held out instead of getting a VT60 last year when they were cheap and I regret it. Wasn't going to make the same mistake on the F8500.
HLdan likes this.

Last edited by bobby2478; 08-21-2014 at 03:27 PM.
bobby2478 is offline  
post #1105 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Member
 
MikeD2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
I don't see how people are taking advantage or scamming the credit card company. If they offer a price protection policy, and are willing to honor the few claims people actually submit, then you aren't doing anything shady. Think of it like a mail in rebate, only perhaps 10% of the population is willing to go through the hassle. And they all have caps, Discover allows a max of $500 per item, and both Citi and MasterCard allow a max of $250. So it's not limitless.


In regards to the price policy, it's not just Samsung. Samsung, Sony, Apple and a host of other manufacturers are engaging the same tactics which amount to price fixing. But not technically as merchants can still technically price them however they want, however all Authorized Retailers won't violate this policy as to not upset Samsung, Sony, Apple and other manufacturers.


I hate the policy too, just pointing out it isn't only Samsung, and if you want to boycott anyone who does this than I take it you won't buy anything from Apple, Sony or others either. If you really feel the need to place blame with someone, place it where it rightfully belongs: with our elected officials who allow this type of thing to occur in the first place.
Apple has been a PITA from the very beginning, even makes it hard for others to make peripheral devices to interface with their products. So, yes - I don't buy any Apple products. Sony either for that matter. Their TV's have had quality issues for years, not about to pay a premium for a product "name" that no longer has the quality it once did.
MikeD2 is offline  
post #1106 of 3004 Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Senior Member
 
bobby2478's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post
Apple has been a PITA from the very beginning, even makes it hard for others to make peripheral devices to interface with their products. So, yes - I don't buy any Apple products. Sony either for that matter. Their TV's have had quality issues for years, not about to pay a premium for a product "name" that no longer has the quality it once did.

Not arguing on either of those points, I personally have a strong distaste for Apple myself, not because of their pricing policy but how they go out of their way to force you to buy everything Apple, and to ensure any Apple device you buy is only compatible with other Apple devices (can't connect an android phone to an ipad over Bluetooth for example). Being as this supposed to be a free market I like the option of being able to choose which devices I want to buy and don't appreciate being forced into a particular companies ecosystem, only to be charged a premium for doing so. Samsung is headed down a similar path unfortunately, thankfully they're not there yet.


A lot of people single Samsung out on their pricing policy and I was just making sure it was clear it wasn't only them. Apple started the whole trend, and since it worked for them everyone else now is following suit. I imagine in another 5-10 years all major electronics manufacturers outside of budget/value brands will enact the same price control policies. Which is very unfortunate to the consumer.

Last edited by bobby2478; 08-21-2014 at 11:16 PM.
bobby2478 is offline  
post #1107 of 3004 Old 08-22-2014, 07:27 AM
SPJ
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I know that Best Buy won't price match Abe's or East Coast at checkout. But, has anyone tried to see if Fry's would price match? I usually have better experiences with Fry's, so I'm tempted to give it a shot.
SPJ is offline  
post #1108 of 3004 Old 08-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
Not arguing on either of those points, I personally have a strong distaste for Apple myself, not because of their pricing policy but how they go out of their way to force you to buy everything Apple, and to ensure any Apple device you buy is only compatible with other Apple devices (can't connect an android phone to an ipad over Bluetooth for example). Being as this supposed to be a free market I like the option of being able to choose which devices I want to buy and don't appreciate being forced into a particular companies ecosystem, only to be charged a premium for doing so. Samsung is headed down a similar path unfortunately, thankfully they're not there yet.

Not to start an Apple vs. the world war, but speaking as an Apple customer myself I have to say you're not being very fair. For the past 10 years or more it's been a rough ride in the computing industry being forced into a Microsoft monopolized world. Every piss pot I step in has to do with Windows. Microsoft monopolizes the business world and tries to make sure nothing outside of products they make can be used in business. Windows, Office, Exchange, Exchange Server and now they are trying to do muscle in their tablets and Xbox. For me it was a breath of fresh air to see Apple come in and give me chance to invest money into something else especially not feeling forced into it.

It's important to have an ecosystem of everything in one brand as it's a good synergy but I've always felt forced with Microsoft pushing it's packages in people's faces because it's at work and everywhere else, so don't make this about Apple only.

While I love Samsung's TV's (as I just purchased the 64F8500) their marketing practices leave a lot to be desired but they see that Apple's M.O makes sense by giving a plethora of products that work best with the same developer by making them attractive for the customer to want to use rather than being forced as Microsoft has done. My iPhone and iPad work very well with my F8500 and my Macs work very well with other branded products. Just because Macs are not Android friendly doesn't make Apple deserve the bad rap you gave them. Google is just as restrictive. Most companies do that.
HLdan is offline  
post #1109 of 3004 Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
I know that Best Buy won't price match Abe's or East Coast at checkout. But, has anyone tried to see if Fry's would price match? I usually have better experiences with Fry's, so I'm tempted to give it a shot.
I love Fry's. I would definitely make an attempt at it, but don't wait too long. Their stores are getting thin of the F8500 as well. Fry's wants and needs your business a lot more than Best Buy so I would say you have a much better chance at them at least giving you some sort of deal, but then again they may have to stick with Samsung's UPP.
Funny though, it must be a typo because their website has the 64F8500 priced at $3,099 and the 60F8500 at $3,199.
http://www.frys.com/search?search_ty...y_string=f8500
HLdan is offline  
post #1110 of 3004 Old 08-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
bobby2478's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Not to start an Apple vs. the world war, but speaking as an Apple customer myself I have to say you're not being very fair. For the past 10 years or more it's been a rough ride in the computing industry being forced into a Microsoft monopolized world. Every piss pot I step in has to do with Windows. Microsoft monopolizes the business world and tries to make sure nothing outside of products they make can be used in business. Windows, Office, Exchange, Exchange Server and now they are trying to do muscle in their tablets and Xbox. For me it was a breath of fresh air to see Apple come in and give me chance to invest money into something else especially not feeling forced into it.

It's important to have an ecosystem of everything in one brand as it's a good synergy but I've always felt forced with Microsoft pushing it's packages in people's faces because it's at work and everywhere else, so don't make this about Apple only.

While I love Samsung's TV's (as I just purchased the 64F8500) their marketing practices leave a lot to be desired but they see that Apple's M.O makes sense by giving a plethora of products that work best with the same developer by making them attractive for the customer to want to use rather than being forced as Microsoft has done. My iPhone and iPad work very well with my F8500 and my Macs work very well with other branded products. Just because Macs are not Android friendly doesn't make Apple deserve the bad rap you gave them. Google is just as restrictive. Most companies do that.

Right, let's definitely not turn this into an Apple vs Google or any other company thread. I was just stating that was my personal opinion. If I personally liked the Apple ecosystem I wouldn't have a problem with it. I never said they made bad products. Just that I personally don't like how with the new iPhone for example they designed the lightning cord with a chip so you have to spend $30 on an Apple brand cord rather than just some cheap generic power cord. That's just one example. Again this is just my personal preference and isn't in any way a reflection of the quality of products Apple makes, or that you or others can't have another opinion. They make very good devices. They just aren't for me, let's leave it at that.
bobby2478 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off