post #1111 of 1311 Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
Right, let's definitely not turn this into an Apple vs Google or any other company thread. I was just stating that was my personal opinion. If I personally liked the Apple ecosystem I wouldn't have a problem with it. I never said they made bad products. Just that I personally don't like how with the new iPhone for example they designed the lightning cord with a chip so you have to spend $30 on an Apple brand cord rather than just some cheap generic power cord. That's just one example. Again this is just my personal preference and isn't in any way a reflection of the quality of products Apple makes, or that you or others can't have another opinion. They make very good devices. They just aren't for me, let's leave it at that.
Agreed, we'll leave it at that but there was nothing in my post that suggested that you were downgrading the quality of Apple's products. The subject was about business and marketing practices between Apple, Samsung and the rest. Not sure how you arrived at that, but okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1311 Old 08-22-2014, 08:08 AM
SPJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't know if that is a typo or not, because they have had the 64" priced lower than the 60" inch for awhile. Also, every other week they drop the price of the 60" to $2300, which is what BB has it at.
post #1113 of 1311 Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
I don't know if that is a typo or not, because they have had the 64" priced lower than the 60" inch for awhile. Also, every other week they drop the price of the 60" to $2300, which is what BB has it at.
Wow that is really odd. That makes no sense to charge more for the smaller model and it seems to be that the 60" is much more available from most retailers than the 64". Are they even allowed to charge that much more than what Samsung charges for it? It's listed as $2399 for the 60". In fact everywhere else charges that. That has to be a mistake.
post #1114 of 1311 Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
With all the non-subject posts regarding Apple and such, I've lost track of your post and which merchant you are referring to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #1115 of 1311 Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 AM
SPJ

Frys has the 60" priced at $3199 on some weeks, but then drops it to $2399 other weeks (which is in line with what other stores have it at). It's just strange that Fry's has the 64" at $3099.

I think the $3199 used to be the MSRP, but now its dropped. So, Fry's does this on their website to make it look like its on sale. That's my theory at least.
post #1116 of 1311 Old 08-22-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Agreed, we'll leave it at that but there was nothing in my post that suggested that you were downgrading the quality of Apple's products. The subject was about business and marketing practices between Apple, Samsung and the rest. Not sure how you arrived at that, but okay.

I never said you did, I just was calling out that I wasn't trying to make it sound like they make bad products, or in some way was making fun of anyone who feels differently than I do. I was just trying to preface my previous post as one that was my personal opinion. A lot of companies do what you mention, try to get you to buy their stuff. But Microsoft has actually changed drastically, being as they now make and sell Office software on iOS. Apple is free to do whatever they want, as long as their products are popular their strategy obviously works with a large segment of the population.

I was simply trying to point out in response to another post that I wasn't fond of how when I bought an iPad and I tried to connect my Android phone to it over Bluetooth it wasn't allowed: it has to be an iPhone. My girlfriend bought a new iPod and in order to even use it with her Mac she got a pop up that she had to upgrade to the latest version of the OS in order to even sync music with her iPod. So simply buying a new iPod wasn't good enough, she was forced to pay extra to upgrade her OS at the same time just to use it. Those are just 2 examples and aren't with business practice so much as how they technologically limit the devices you can use within their ecosystem to only products they manufacture and sell (you can't bring your own device so to speak, so you don't have any choice in the devices you buy if you want to use their ecosystem). So my personal decision to not buy Apple is just that: my personal preference and opinion. I do feel they make good quality devices and for people that just want to buy 3 different devices and have them all work together right out of the box without having to tinker with it then Apple makes that very easy for you provided you buy all Apple products.

So this isn't to set off an Apple vs Microsoft or Apple vs Google conversation, they all make good products who fit different people with different preferences. I was just trying to provide my rationale for what I said previously. But let's let this one go to not cause 30 pages of posts about this topic.
post #1117 of 1311 Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Frys has the 60" priced at $3199 on some weeks, but then drops it to $2399 other weeks (which is in line with what other stores have it at). It's just strange that Fry's has the 64" at $3099.

I think the $3199 used to be the MSRP, but now its dropped. So, Fry's does this on their website to make it look like its on sale. That's my theory at least.
Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #1118 of 1311 Old 08-22-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Please try to stay on the thread's intended subject.

This is the "Samsung f8500 pricing reduction thread?"

Kindly take the Apple discussion to PM or another thread.

Thanks.
aypues and riparian like this.

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #1119 of 1311 Old 08-22-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Be careful choosing to purchase from ABT solely based on ShopDiscover cashback.

I received a damaged and defective TV. Because ABT sent me a replacement, my ShopDiscover cashback from ABT was not honored. I called multiple times and was assured I would keep the cashback. ABT did not withhold their end of the bargain. Discover was great...I received their casback.

If you receive a defective item cancel the order with ABT and choose another retailer.
post #1120 of 1311 Old 08-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
The East Coast price makes it almost worth the risk. Damn It!!!

I am considering purchasing the F8500 and just checked East Coast TV on Resellerratings,and they have an excellent rating there. Is there something else I should know? Usually Reseller Ratings is the bible for pre-checking a purchase.

John
post #1121 of 1311 Old 08-25-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The East Coast TV's Experiment

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #1122 of 1311 Old 08-25-2014, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I am considering purchasing the F8500 and just checked East Coast TV on Resellerratings,and they have an excellent rating there. Is there something else I should know? Usually Reseller Ratings is the bible for pre-checking a purchase.

John
Well, one would like to believe so. I take things with a grain of salt with RR's now. I dealt with Abe's of Maine (which is another type of aggressive online reseller as ECTV's) and they greatly disappointed me based on their customer service. They did deliver the product as promised without issue but their sales process before, during and long after the sale was atrocious. I wrote my exact experience about them on RR's. They called me directly and asked me to retract my statement in lieu of a $100 restaurant coupon. I refused. They replied on RR's saying I was being unfair. Keep in mind, "I" am the customer. It's no privilege to buy from any of these places, including Best Buy, Fry's or anyone regardless if they are an authorized reseller or not. Sometimes these retailers tend to forget they will go out of business without customers.

Well Abe's of Maine contacted me again saying they would remove what they said about me if I was to retract my statement, accept the restaurant coupon and write a positive review about them. I refused. I actually took more action about the situation but I won't post about it here.

My point is take RR's with a grain of salt. I am certain that many customers have been coerced into writing an undeserved positive review. I still use it as a soft reference but I also base my buying decision on customer service, methods of accepted payment, if they are BBB accredited and if I can actually contact them by phone. Some places only have contact by email. Stay away from those places unless you just hate your money.
post #1123 of 1311 Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Well, one would like to believe so. I take things with a grain of salt with RR's now. I dealt with Abe's of Maine (which is another type of aggressive online reseller as ECTV's) and they greatly disappointed me based on their customer service. They did deliver the product as promised without issue but their sales process before, during and long after the sale was atrocious. I wrote my exact experience about them on RR's. They called me directly and asked me to retract my statement in lieu of a $100 restaurant coupon. I refused. They replied on RR's saying I was being unfair. Keep in mind, "I" am the customer. It's no privilege to buy from any of these places, including Best Buy, Fry's or anyone regardless if they are an authorized reseller or not. Sometimes these retailers tend to forget they will go out of business without customers.

Well Abe's of Maine contacted me again saying they would remove what they said about me if I was to retract my statement, accept the restaurant coupon and write a positive review about them. I refused. I actually took more action about the situation but I won't post about it here.

My point is take RR's with a grain of salt. I am certain that many customers have been coerced into writing an undeserved positive review. I still use it as a soft reference but I also base my buying decision on customer service, methods of accepted payment, if they are BBB accredited and if I can actually contact them by phone. Some places only have contact by email. Stay away from those places unless you just hate your money.
I am going to throw this out there...

I suspect you bought the TV from Abe's because it was cheaper than anywhere else?

if that is the case should you have the same expectation, generally speaking, at a retailer where you paid more than Abe's price was?

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #1124 of 1311 Old 08-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
I am going to throw this out there...

I suspect you bought the TV from Abe's because it was cheaper than anywhere else?

if that is the case should you have the same expectation, generally speaking, at a retailer where you paid more than Abe's price was?

Warren
The amount of money spent is irrelevant. I purchased my newest TV at an "unauthorized" or what is not listed as authorized by Samsung and got a good price. While the sales strategy could be improved the overall customer service was very good in fact and they delivered my TV as promised and no high pressure sales tactics before or after the sale. They told me I had a one year warranty from Samsung. They didn't even push the extended warranty. I actually inquired about it. I wrote a positive review about this place on Reseller Ratings.

Let me tell you that I have gotten crappy service from big named retailers that sell premium products that I have paid full price at so it's irrelevant about the amount of money one spends. Good customer service is the decision of the retailer and if they care to get future business.
post #1125 of 1311 Old 08-25-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The amount of money spent is irrelevant. I purchased my newest TV at an "unauthorized" or what is not listed as authorized by Samsung and got a good price. While the sales strategy could be improved the overall customer service was very good in fact and they delivered my TV as promised and no high pressure sales tactics before or after the sale. They told me I had a one year warranty from Samsung. They didn't even push the extended warranty. I actually inquired about it. I wrote a positive review about this place on Reseller Ratings.

Let me tell you that I have gotten crappy service from big named retailers that sell premium products that I have paid full price at so it's irrelevant about the amount of money one spends. Good customer service is the decision of the retailer and if they care to get future business.
really?
I was talking about your Abe's of Maine experience you described

Your description seemed less than ideal
While..I guess you are "ok" with what happened.....I cant imagine that you would have let it go if you had dealt with someone like Best Buy

The fact that you would have paid closer to retail...and had knowledge of such...would have made you push for a better transaction experience
You know the same reason customer's at Walmart dont expect the same service as they do at Neiman Marcus

The fact that you have made a subsequent purchase at the same type of retailer...tells me that a low price is higher on your priority list

Some would have taken your experience with Abe's and be done with it...even if it meant paying a higher price

I too purchased my F8500 at seriously low price....there were some "gaps" in the service from what I would have expected, and frankly demanded, at Best Buy
But...I paid $1000 less( plus tax) lower than Best Buy's price
The retailer I bought from..Conn's...is an authorized samsung retailer so there there was never a question on that side of things

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
post #1126 of 1311 Old 08-25-2014, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
really?
I was talking about your Abe's of Maine experience you described

Your description seemed less than ideal
While..I guess you are "ok" with what happened.....I cant imagine that you would have let it go if you had dealt with someone like Best Buy

The fact that you would have paid closer to retail...and had knowledge of such...would have made you push for a better transaction experience
You know the same reason customer's at Walmart dont expect the same service as they do at Neiman Marcus

The fact that you have made a subsequent purchase at the same type of retailer...tells me that a low price is higher on your priority list

Some would have taken your experience with Abe's and be done with it...even if it meant paying a higher price

I too purchased my F8500 at seriously low price....there were some "gaps" in the service from what I would have expected, and frankly demanded, at Best Buy
But...I paid $1000 less( plus tax) lower than Best Buy's price
The retailer I bought from..Conn's...is an authorized samsung retailer so there there was never a question on that side of things

Warren
My original post earlier towards another member earlier was in regards to Reseller Ratings and how not to trust them as the holy grail (as he was referring to RR's as the Bible) due to how certain retailers manipulate customers into writing positive reviews especially after giving the customer a low quality shopping experience. I mentioned my experience as an example. I wasn't telling him not to shop at East Coast TV's or anywhere else.
Not sure why you're making this whole thing about me? You're taking it an extra level it doesn't really need to go.
post #1127 of 1311 Old 08-25-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Bottom line

have the right expectation if you buy from one of these online etailers at a discount price vs Magnolia Home Theater

the other part is...IMO...if I was looking for one of these I would make my target price point for the 64" unit $2100 and be prepared to pay $2300

I think supply will allow prices to come down that far

after that..if it happens....will likely be slim pickings

Warren

post #1128 of 1311 Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

So, East Coast is not an authorized dealer? If not, and given the other comments and reading the East Coast thread linked above, I don't think I will be buying from them. Which is disappointing given that no one else has an F8500 available at a price I can afford, and I had pretty much decided that was what I really wanted to replace my recently deceased Pioneer Elite

John
post #1129 of 1311 Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
So, East Coast is not an authorized dealer? If not, and given the other comments and reading the East Coast thread linked above, I don't think I will be buying from them. Which is disappointing given that no one else has an F8500 available at a price I can afford, and I had pretty much decided that was what I really wanted to replace my recently deceased Pioneer Elite

John
No, East Coast, Abes, and the other low cost resellers aren't authorized dealers. Authorized dealers follow Samsung's Unilateral Price Policy, so all authorized dealers (Best Buy, etc.) will have the same price on new F8500s. If you don't want to go with one of the non-authorized dealers, your main options for lower prices are to buy open box/display models or use the Discover Card's (or other credit card's) price protection policy (described previously in this thread) and/or a cashback service like ShopDiscover, ebates, FatWallet, etc.
post #1130 of 1311 Old 08-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
No, East Coast, Abes, and the other low cost resellers aren't authorized dealers. Authorized dealers follow Samsung's Unilateral Price Policy, so all authorized dealers (Best Buy, etc.) will have the same price on new F8500s. If you don't want to go with one of the non-authorized dealers, your main options for lower prices are to buy open box/display models or use the Discover Card's (or other credit card's) price protection policy (described previously in this thread) and/or a cashback service like ShopDiscover, ebates, FatWallet, etc.

Am I correct that buying from an unauthorized dealer voids any manufacturer warranty?

Also, my maximum budget for a 60 inch F8500 is $2k, and no one except the unauthorized sellers are at or under that price limit. And I don't think price protection policy cards or the other tactics can get me to that point.

John
post #1131 of 1311 Old 08-27-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Am I correct that buying from an unauthorized dealer voids any manufacturer warranty?

Also, my maximum budget for a 60 inch F8500 is $2k, and no one except the unauthorized sellers are at or under that price limit. And I don't think price protection policy cards or the other tactics can get me to that point.

John
It has been pointed out that Samsung's warranty includes language that allows them to refuse coverage of televisions bought from unauthorized sellers; however, those who have bought the F8500 from East Coast and other unauthorized sellers have had no problems registering for the warranty. I read recently (here) in the F8500 owner thread that forum member mbeezie, who bought his F8500 from East Coast, had a repair done under warranty.

In post #1070 of this thread, forum member atwnsw mentions that Discover offers up to $500 in price protection, and I note several posts later that you can get another 5% cashback from Best Buy by using the ShopDiscover portal. You would have to have or apply for a Discover card, but that would bring you under $2,000 (although you would have to pay full price up front).
post #1132 of 1311 Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
It has been pointed out that Samsung's warranty includes language that allows them to refuse coverage of televisions bought from unauthorized sellers; however, those who have bought the F8500 from East Coast and other unauthorized sellers have had no problems registering for the warranty. I read recently (here) in the F8500 owner thread that forum member mbeezie, who bought his F8500 from East Coast, had a repair done under warranty.

In post #1070 of this thread, forum member atwnsw mentions that Discover offers up to $500 in price protection, and I note several posts later that you can get another 5% cashback from Best Buy by using the ShopDiscover portal. You would have to have or apply for a Discover card, but that would bring you under $2,000 (although you would have to pay full price up front).
Thank you Koan. Who do I have Best Buy matching, etc. I'm not clear on how I achieve this. My understanding is that they, and apparently no one else will accept anything to do with East Coast, Abes, etc. as far as pricing. And I have no problem applying for a Discover card. Can you please walk me through it. I'm willing to pay the price up front, if I can get back under $2000.00 afterwards. I apologize, up front, for my lack of understanding.

John

Last edited by John Clark; 08-27-2014 at 09:37 PM.
post #1133 of 1311 Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you Koan. Who do I have Best Buy matching, etc. I'm not clear on how I achieve this. My understanding is that they, and apparently no one else will accept anything to do with East Coast, Abes, etc. as far as pricing. And I have no problem applying for a Discover card. Can you please walk me through it. I'm willing to pay the price up front, if I can get back under $2000.00 afterwards. I apologize, up front, for my lack of understanding.
This doesn't involve Best Buy doing a price match. You can find it discussed in posts 1070 through 1093 of this thread. The process would be to go through ShopDiscover's cashback link to Best Buy (currently at 5% cash back) and purchase the F8500 using your Discover card. Then (maybe wait a few days) go to Abes of Maine or East Coast TV and place the F8500 in your cart and do what atwnsw did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwnsw View Post
I took a screen shot on the final checkout page. You have to call Discover and request a price protection claim. Then it takes 1-2 weeks to receive the paperwork. I completed the paperwork and mailed it back. While I won't receive a check for 6-8 weeks, I called 2 weeks after I mailed the completed paperwork and found out that I was approved.
No guarantees, but it should work. Discover says the price match can be with any store, but is limited to $500. The 5% cashback is separate and can be redeemed online through your Discover account login. If anything, there could be an issue with the 5% cashback because cashback sites are sometimes finicky. Unlikely though.

Disclaimer: I didn't buy my F8500 this way, mainly because I wasn't aware of Discover's price protection policy at the time. I did get a good deal though during Sears Memorial Day sale using a cashback site's 10% link.
post #1134 of 1311 Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I got $200 cashback Discover from linking to the Sears Memorial Day sale; paid $1999 for 60" (not including cashback). And I'm learning all kinds of new $ saving techniques here :-)
post #1135 of 1311 Old 08-28-2014, 03:47 PM

Liked: 6
Cool

I bought my PN64F8500 for $1800 "used" but it was BRAND NEW! All in the original packaging, the scratch wrap was still on the metal, the original package shrink wrap was still on the accessories package. The MRT (hours used) was 0! After a week, I am at about 90 hours, I love watching this light cannon! I bought it from B and H, and was able to register it and get the manufacturer's warranty, which I confirmed was active with the customer service rep. Was this a good deal?
post #1136 of 1311 Old 08-28-2014, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hey that's nothing.- I stole mine! paid zilch!

[jk]
post #1137 of 1311 Old 08-28-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCo Kawon View Post
I bought my PN64F8500 for $1800 "used" but it was BRAND NEW! All in the original packaging, the scratch wrap was still on the metal, the original package shrink wrap was still on the accessories package. The MRT (hours used) was 0! After a week, I am at about 90 hours, I love watching this light cannon! I bought it from B and H, and was able to register it and get the manufacturer's warranty, which I confirmed was active with the customer service rep. Was this a good deal?
Please explain this in more detail. Were they selling it as used and they accidently sent you a new one? I need some details on how this all went down lol. I am looking at one of their used Samsung F8500 units that has a rating of 8+. What was the one you bought, rated as? Again, I need details lol as this seems too good to be true.
post #1138 of 1311 Old 08-28-2014, 10:07 PM

Liked: 6
I recommend buying from them. They have that 30 day guarantee, if you don't like it you can return it. Call and ask about the TV they can tell you more. Mine was listed as an 8+ and it just ended up being brand new! I got really lucky. It was missing the 3D glasses I called them and they sent out 4 pair in two days. The delivery sucked though, it took 3 weeks but I also got free white glove assistance to set it up. I'd say do it, let me know how it goes.
post #1139 of 1311 Old 08-29-2014, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCo Kawon View Post
I recommend buying from them. They have that 30 day guarantee, if you don't like it you can return it. Call and ask about the TV they can tell you more. Mine was listed as an 8+ and it just ended up being brand new! I got really lucky. It was missing the 3D glasses I called them and they sent out 4 pair in two days. The delivery sucked though, it took 3 weeks but I also got free white glove assistance to set it up. I'd say do it, let me know how it goes.
Two more questions and then I'm going call.

Did you call first for yours and they told you, that yours was actually brand new? What did they tell you?

If it was brand new, why were there no 3D glasses in the box?

Thank you again
post #1140 of 1311 Old 08-29-2014, 08:22 AM

Liked: 5
Just an FYI: if you have (or obtain) a Best Buy-branded Mastercard, the store is offering 10% cashback through September 6. The F8500s are standard UPP.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn64f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page