Samsung f8500 pricing reduction? - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1171 of 1187 Unread 08-31-2014, 10:00 PM
Newbie
 
mhanism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Who are you ordering from and price ?
My bad, was a bit unclear. Was referring to ordering from Nice Electronics. They offered me $2,097 for a 60" F8500.
HLdan likes this.
mhanism is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1172 of 1187 Unread 08-31-2014, 10:03 PM
Senior Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
I have only purchased 2 plasma's before (720p Philips Ambilights, bought in 2006 and 2007)) and when I bought them there were clear advantages over LCD's, let alone from a few years earlier.

Are the advantages to paying a premium for the discontinued Samsungs really worth it for the average user ?

I'm not talking about watching at some weird angle or measuring black levels to the "Nth" degree or watching in a sunlit Arizona glass house. I'm talking the average Joe Schmoe who is going to watch cable TV documentaries, lots of sports, and some movies.

The 64" runs about double the price of a recent top-end LED LCD model. A few hundred bucks might be worth it to have plasma...but almost double ($1,500) ??
I think you're looking at the wrong Samsung Plasma. Most LCD TV's on the same level as the F8500 generally cost more than the F8500 or most plasmas in general. Plasma is generally known for best bang for the buck. Also Samsung Plasmas are not discontinued. They will remain current until the end of November.

If you're purely focusing on the price hike of $1500 more than the LCD TV's you've been looking at then you should check out the Samsung PN64H5000. http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN64H5000AFXZA. It retails for $1299. At certain times it's been a bit less. It's a no-frills Plasma (no 3D, no SMART HUB) with great PQ. It has a pentile display which some may see as the "screen door" effect but it depends on how close you sit to the TV.

If you have no care about viewing angle or black levels (which are generally the biggest advantages of Plasma) then you may also consider to focus not necessarily on the advantages of Plasma but rather the disadvantages of LCD TV's. Unless you want to pay higher than the F8500 for the FALD LCD TV's then most of the LCD's you will be looking at are Edge-lit displays. They still have issues with flash-lighting (white spot lights at each corner of the TV that are most shown on dark scenes) and clouding which is also most shown on darker scenes. For daytime viewing the average joe won't see a huge advantage of Plasma to an Edge-lit LCD but for night viewing those common issues with LCD can be frustrating even for a non-videophile.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
HLdan is online now  
post #1173 of 1187 Unread 08-31-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 2,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I think you're looking at the wrong Samsung Plasma. Most LCD TV's on the same level as the F8500 generally cost more than the F8500 or most plasmas in general. Plasma is generally known for best bang for the buck. Also Samsung Plasmas are not discontinued. They will remain current until the end of November.
Thanks, HLdan.....I think off the top of my head I was looking at the UNH series from Samsung. I was at a friend's recently and I just glanced at the back and punched up the price on my smartphone and the 60" retailed for about $850 or so. So I guestimated that a 64" or 65" would sell for about $1,500 or so (maybe I looked and a 65" came up, I don't remember).

Quote:
If you're purely focusing on the price hike of $1500 more than the LCD TV's you've been looking at then you should check out the Samsung PN64H5000. http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN64H5000AFXZA. It retails for $1299. At certain times it's been a bit less. It's a no-frills Plasma (no 3D, no SMART HUB) with great PQ. It has a pentile display which some may see as the "screen door" effect but it depends on how close you sit to the TV.
I have to look into this pentile display because the last thing I want is SDE, but this might be an option for me, thanks ! I really do not think I am going to use the TV as a Smart TV and am not into 3D. It might be nice to use the TV to scan e-mails and other things from my monitor but right now my PC is 8' from my TV, not up a flight of stairs.

Quote:
If you have no care about viewing angle or black levels (which are generally the biggest advantages of Plasma) then you may also consider to focus not necessarily on the advantages of Plasma but rather the disadvantages of LCD TV's. Unless you want to pay higher than the F8500 for the FALD LCD TV's then most of the LCD's you will be looking at are Edge-lit displays. They still have issues with flash-lighting (white spot lights at each corner of the TV that are most shown on dark scenes) and clouding which is also most shown on darker scenes. For daytime viewing the average joe won't see a huge advantage of Plasma to an Edge-lit LCD but for night viewing those common issues with LCD can be frustrating even for a non-videophile.
During the day I usually have news channels and/or CNBC on my TV, and work from my PC. My back is to the TV at about a 45-degree angle from maybe 7-8' away, so I'm really not that skewed.

Of course, I also have my couch which is 9' away from the TV directly facing it.

As I said, I have a 50" 720p TV with 2006/07 technology so I think even the lower-priced Samsung might be worthwhile for me. If I wanted to splurge on lots of bells-and-whistles, 3D, SmartTV, and extra processing power and color extravaganzas, I guess the F8500 will then enter the conversation.

Thanks !!
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
post #1174 of 1187 Unread Yesterday, 06:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Genuine Samsung Display???

Nice Electronics lists two prices for the 8500. The higher priced product states a genuine Samsung display. Can someone explain this to me? I've heard of the "Panel Lottery" before but also heard it was for LCDS only or is it true for Plasmas as well? I do not want to spend more money if I do not have to.

Thanks!

Last edited by mproia; Yesterday at 09:03 AM.
mproia is online now  
post #1175 of 1187 Unread Yesterday, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,907
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproia View Post
Nice Electronics lists two prices for the 8500. The higher priced product states a genuine Samsung display. Can someone explain this to me? I've heard of the "Panel Lottery" before but also heard it was for LCDS only or is it true for Plasmas as well? I do not want to spend more money if I do not have to.

Thanks!
Just slimy salesmanship filled with dishonesty to get you to buy the more expensive model. Of they won't sell you the cheaper one at it's advertised price either if you tried to buy it.
CoCo Kawon likes this.
Stereodude is online now  
post #1176 of 1187 Unread Yesterday, 01:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Stopped at BB to look at phones. No phone reps available so went to the Magnolia where they had a 64" on display. Rep says how can I help you, replied with, price match the online resellers. To which he replied East Coast TV? I replied with, Among Others...


Then he went through the whole spiel about buying from unauthorized dealers/resellers , Gray Market B panels and no warranty. I asked him, if that were true then what about those (on this forum) who "have" purchased from these dealers and resellers and have been able to register the TV with Samsung? He replied with, have they had to use the warranty? That likely that is when Samsung would deny coverage.. He even printed out and gave me the Samsung Beware of Purchases made from... letter with a list of Dealers to avoid....


Then he told me about a new 64" return, that he had in the ware house, no box, panel is bubble rapped and it has all the accessories and I can have for $2500. I asked him if it had any hours on it or damage and he said he didn't think so. He said he is willing to bring it down and set it up and let me look at it.


Since I was not ready to purchase, I told him I would have to think about it and get back to him. (My HVAC started acting up yesterday and till I know what I am dealing with on that, I need to wait)


Assuming that the HVAC can be fixed with minor cost, and the tv is new and no damage, is $2500 (better jump on it) price?
PhilipsPhanatic and mhanism like this.
OilburnerDe is online now  
post #1177 of 1187 Unread Yesterday, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 2,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilburnerDe View Post
He even printed out and gave me the Samsung Beware of Purchases made from... letter with a list of Dealers to avoid....
Who was on the list ?

Quote:
Then he told me about a new 64" return, that he had in the ware house, no box, panel is bubble rapped and it has all the accessories and I can have for $2500. I asked him if it had any hours on it or damage and he said he didn't think so. He said he is willing to bring it down and set it up and let me look at it. Assuming that the HVAC can be fixed with minor cost, and the tv is new and no damage, is $2500 (better jump on it) price?
What's a HVAC ?

As for the F8500, if you verify it looks good and the hours of operation is minimal, sounds like a good deal.
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
post #1178 of 1187 Unread Yesterday, 10:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Who was on the list ?



What's a HVAC ?

As for the F8500, if you verify it looks good and the hours of operation is minimal, sounds like a good deal.

Thanks,


HVAC is Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning. So basically my A/C is not functioning correctly, keeps freezing up and then thawing and I am getting water in my basement from it.


I will have to scan the list and post it tomorrow. It is 1 am for me and I am futzing with the A/C still, just had to shut the breaker off to it so it would shut down. argh....could get $$$$ :-(
OilburnerDe is online now  
post #1179 of 1187 Unread Today, 10:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Who was on the list ?
I didn't find the list of dealers to avoid. However, I did find this:

http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmin...F_LinkBack.pdf

Says it may not be eligible for the 1 year warranty, but I have a hard time believing that. I think as long as the tv was a new retail model actually made by samsung you should still be covered, but I have no experience here and may be wrong.

I bought mine from Paul's and although they are an authorized reseller they were not specifically on the list when I registered the TV. When I needed warranty work they did ask to send over the receipt, but scheduled service before I sent anything over.
cbas5 is offline  
post #1180 of 1187 Unread Today, 11:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Here is the scan of the memo from Samsung that BB gave me.

I had to resize it several times and change the format. Hopefully it is readable.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp samsung.bmp (926.8 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by OilburnerDe; Today at 11:42 AM.
OilburnerDe is online now  
post #1181 of 1187 Unread Today, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilburnerDe View Post
Here is the scan of the memo from Samsung that BB gave me.

I had to resize it several times and change the format. Hopefully it is readable.
That's interesting that Cleveland Plasma is listed there. They are one of the sponsors on AVS. Many people here have bought from them. I will have to say they don't state they are an authorized Samsung Dealer on their website though. Hmm.
HLdan is online now  
post #1182 of 1187 Unread Today, 03:58 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbas5 View Post
I didn't find the list of dealers to avoid. However, I did find this:

http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmin...F_LinkBack.pdf

Says it may not be eligible for the 1 year warranty, but I have a hard time believing that. I think as long as the tv was a new retail model actually made by samsung you should still be covered, but I have no experience here and may be wrong.

I bought mine from Paul's and although they are an authorized reseller they were not specifically on the list when I registered the TV. When I needed warranty work they did ask to send over the receipt, but scheduled service before I sent anything over.
I bought mine on BHphotovideo.com, they aren't on that list and I was able to register for the 1 year warranty no problem. They also include their own short 30 day guarantee as well as a 90 day manufacture warranty.

Pretty happy with my purchase so far, just need to find the best calibrations for the 64" F8500 for bright and dark room, 3D, and PC settings. Anybody have a link?
CoCo Kawon is online now  
post #1183 of 1187 Unread Today, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
That's interesting that Cleveland Plasma is listed there. They are one of the sponsors on AVS. Many people here have bought from them. I will have to say they don't state they are an authorized Samsung Dealer on their website though. Hmm.
Yeah but do they handle stuff properly? Maybe they have the three stooges unloading items...
wuther is online now  
post #1184 of 1187 Unread Today, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Yeah but do they handle stuff properly? Maybe they have the three stooges unloading items...
I didn't purchase my F8500 from them but for the people that have they seem to be satisfied with Cleveland Plasma's service. Not sure about their delivery. Just interesting to know now that they are listed on Samsung's beware list of unauthorized resellers.
HLdan is online now  
post #1185 of 1187 Unread Today, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 352
List of authorised Samsung INTERNET RESELLERS + IN STORE RESELLERS from the link above .

http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmin...resellers.html

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #1186 of 1187 Unread Today, 05:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I didn't purchase my F8500 from them but for the people that have they seem to be satisfied with Cleveland Plasma's service. Not sure about their delivery. Just interesting to know now that they are listed on Samsung's beware list of unauthorized resellers.
I know a few months ago, I had an email or two with Chris at CP and I was more than satisfied with them and would have no issues buying from them. The Samsung memo could be just a scare tactic by BB to convince the buyer to purchase through them and that they have to abide by Samsung's UPP.


The only thing the BestBuy Sales guy said that I couldn't rebut, is that I don't know of anyone who bought the TV via the unauthorized dealer and registered the TV with Samsung and had to file a warranty claim that was/was not covered. That is what got me thinking.
And since they have a return that I can get for just above the current ECtv price, I would be foolish not to consider it.
OilburnerDe is online now  
post #1187 of 1187 Unread Today, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilburnerDe View Post
I know a few months ago, I had an email or two with Chris at CP and I was more than satisfied with them and would have no issues buying from them. The Samsung memo could be just a scare tactic by BB to convince the buyer to purchase through them and that they have to abide by Samsung's UPP.


The only thing the BestBuy Sales guy said that I couldn't rebut, is that I don't know of anyone who bought the TV via the unauthorized dealer and registered the TV with Samsung and had to file a warranty claim that was/was not covered. That is what got me thinking.
And since they have a return that I can get for just above the current ECtv price, I would be foolish not to consider it.
If it's any consolation, back in 2012 I purchased my Panasonic 55" GT50 from Abe's of Maine (unauthorized grey market) and registered the warranty. 60 days later I began to really notice vertical banding on the TV. Was already there, I just didn't pay attention to it much. I called Panasonic for repair. They looked up my warranty and serial number. I honestly can't remember whether or not they asked for my purchase receipt. Nonetheless they setup for the technician to come out to my home. They saw the vertical banding and took the TV back with them and replaced the panel. They left me with a loaner Plasma. Delivered my Panasonic back to me with a new panel. Looked good as new. So I had no issues with the warranty.

Just my own philosophy but I'm thinking these companies are more or less trying to discourage purchasing from unauthorized dealers such as Ebay or people on Craigslist or places that don't actually sell TV's but rather just a warehouse of miscellaneous merchandise that they acquire from no-name dealers or possibly off-shore. So far I have seen no evidence here of anyone that has purchased from a gray market or unauthorized reseller and didn't get a warranty or got duped and got sold an used machine that was advertised as new. The most popular unauthorized dealers here seem to be ECTV's, Abe's of Maine, Cleveland Plasma and Nice Electronics. The end results appears to be satisfied customers enjoying their TV's with their warranties in tact.
HLdan is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn64f8500 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off