Samsung f8500 pricing reduction? - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 286Likes

post #1831 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Yes; I will be navigating the various picture modes with either remote, and the menu will occasionally (maybe once every five times navigating). Then I have to wait a few minutes for it to get "unstuck."
You haven't tried the full reset from the service menu I presume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post
Literally, a few minutes? Or like a few seconds?

If it's minutes, that is obviously a problem. Have you loaded any available firmware updates?
No, it is at least a couple minutes. All software updates (at least what can be done by the menu) have been installed. I was told a new one is coming soon, but no reason to believe it will address my problem as it is not a common occurrence.
post #1833 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
You haven't tried the full reset from the service menu I presume?

No, Samsung never instructed me to do this, and little leary since I have no evidence that will fix the problem and whether a reset from the factry menu could create problems. If it was a soluton, I would think Samsung would have mentioned/tried the reset remotely.

Wouldn't you think the problem is likley a faulty IR sensor in the HDTV?

post #1834 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sure hope there are more of the PN64F8500 in the supply chain. Ordered mine from BB on 10/28 and scheduled the delivery for today. The set they attempted to deliver was clearly an open box. Cracked the top of it and the packaging was completely wrong. Didn't appear to have the power cord in a box. Didn't see a remote or 3D glasses (I was under the impression 4 came with the TV, not that I care about them), and the top of the TV was completely scuffed. Didn't even want to turn it on to see how abused the screen was. After talking to everyone at BB I could get a hold of, they told me to call back tomorrow morning once the TV they tried to deliver is returned to the warehouse to schedule another delivery appointment. Here's to hoping they can find one somewhere given that the warehouse the open box item came from definitely had no others in stock. Great use of one half-day of vacation to take delivery...
post #1835 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
thanks for your help I really appreciate it. how would it work though since I didn't buy the TV there and it says the first two years are covered by costco?

would I get one year samsung then what?

Thanks
Just did mine today, not a Costco member so they tacked on $4.50 + tax bringing the total to $100.

Called SQ trade when I got the email, told them I had bought the TV @ BB but had 2nd yr coverage thru Discover. They set it up so the coverage goes for 5 years (basically made it look like I had bought @ Costco), uploaded my receipt from BB and got confirmation of coverage.
So ................

Year 1 = Samsung
Year 2 = Discover
Years 3 - 5 = SQ Trade
eric3316 likes this.
post #1836 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
I can believe it, they play games, this is part of that...

I just paid the going rate and got it through the highdefinitation store, they are an authorized internet seller and they also included a 2 year warranty.

That said, I'm glad for the people that were able to use these other retailers to get a better price.

I feel like I got good karma (LOL) for doing it the "conservative" way as mine is dead silent and perfect right out of the box.

anywho, blown away by this set.
Well there goes that too...lowest price is now $2389. It was something like $1650 not even a week ago, I wonder what changed and why ALL of them are now practically the same price as the authorized resellers?
post #1837 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebonker View Post
Sure hope there are more of the PN64F8500 in the supply chain. Ordered mine from BB on 10/28 and scheduled the delivery for today. The set they attempted to deliver was clearly an open box. Cracked the top of it and the packaging was completely wrong. Didn't appear to have the power cord in a box. Didn't see a remote or 3D glasses (I was under the impression 4 came with the TV, not that I care about them), and the top of the TV was completely scuffed. Didn't even want to turn it on to see how abused the screen was. After talking to everyone at BB I could get a hold of, they told me to call back tomorrow morning once the TV they tried to deliver is returned to the warehouse to schedule another delivery appointment. Here's to hoping they can find one somewhere given that the warehouse the open box item came from definitely had no others in stock. Great use of one half-day of vacation to take delivery...
That definitely sucks! You might should have kept the tv for a day though and judged the screen and picture. Then have taken some photos and negotiated, or rather demanded, a lot better price. Hopefully they can obtain another one for you from another part of the country to make up for their mistake but there is always Sears and some online retailers. Or you could save a whopping $800 and go with the 60" if Best Buy has that one. This is the number one risk in waiting til the end of the line and I am right there with you except I am finding it hard to justify $800 more for only 4 more inches. Your scenario is the reason to decided soon though. Good luck!
post #1838 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
I remember about 6-8 years ago when the majority of members here only looked to the forum sponsors for the best deals on plasma panels. Best Buy, Frys, Sears, Amazon and the like, were barely ever on the radar back then. They just couldn't compete with the likes of Plasma Concepts, Cleveland Plasma and a few of the other prominent and favored AVS sponsor sites. And also part of that was due to the fact that few of the more traditional and familiar retailers had the commercial versions of plasma panels available (sleek, no tuner, no stand, etc.). Only the forum sponsor sites did and those were more in demand around here than plasma "TVs", with a tuner & stand.

that is simply not true
I have bought MANY TV's from best buy and they all been better than the mass market deals

I recall what the 60" Kuro or the Sharp Elites were selling for on clearance there
A small shop cant touch a big retailer if they make the choice to do a blow out below cost
Ditto on the AVR's....when 3D came out I guess someone internal at BB thought they had to blow out all non 3D capable AVR's at 65-75% off..
it was a beautiful thing.....

if you lived in a market with a Fry's...before those ridiculous UPP rules were an issue
They used Tv's as loss leaders
They used to sell high end Tv's at $700-1000 below the market price

Due to the UPP rules that have gotten so strict in the last 2-3 years...sadly..those days are gone

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 65KS9800 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio P50 Denon X4300 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 55KS8000 Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Vizio P50 Pioneer SC95 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #1839 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Might have been closer to 10 years than 6. But regardless, it was only in those rather isolated clearance and BF scenarios where you might have scored better deals from the likes of Best Buy & Frys.

Then at some point, those two as well as Amazon, US Appliance and a couple other online and B&M retailers, became nearly always the best place for deals all year round. No longer the forum sponsors.

Anybody remember Roman? He used to work for a couple different forum sponsors and had a heavy presence around here. People were PM'ing him (and his forum competitors) for deals all the time. Heady plasma times. BB and Frys were occasional blips on the radar back then, deal-wise.

Quote:
I have bought MANY TV's from best buy and they all been better than the mass market deals
I assume you misspoke here since Best Buy is under the "mass market" umbrella. Certainly much more so than any of the forum sponsors I cited anyway.

As far as blowout clearance receiver deals. Sure, you're absolutely correct there. But I never extended my statement to include such other electronics, so it's not a relevant point.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman

Last edited by CruelInventions; 11-07-2014 at 06:18 PM.
post #1840 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abweichung View Post
How did you go about asking for the price reduction? Did you just flat out say I will buy it if you knock off $200 or throw in a free calibration?
Yes...thats what I did
post #1841 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post
Just did mine today, not a Costco member so they tacked on $4.50 + tax bringing the total to $100.

Called SQ trade when I got the email, told them I had bought the TV @ BB but had 2nd yr coverage thru Discover. They set it up so the coverage goes for 5 years (basically made it look like I had bought @ Costco), uploaded my receipt from BB and got confirmation of coverage.
So ................

Year 1 = Samsung
Year 2 = Discover
Years 3 - 5 = SQ Trade
Good to know. Will be doing the same.
post #1842 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
+1

My Chase card has the same doubling of the factory warranty up to one additional year.
post #1843 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post
Do you mean 'plasma buzz'?
Yes sorry.
post #1844 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Jones View Post
I purchased through ABT, though the TV is only en route. I don't think I'll be able to give you any useful information by the time you pull the trigger though!
I'm still waiting maybe around BF to pull the trigger so let me know how it goes.. tnx
post #1845 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeraga View Post
I'm still waiting maybe around BF to pull the trigger so let me know how it goes.. tnx
That would be playing a dangerous game if you REALLY want one of these sets. Inventory already seems to be in extremely short supply which I doubt will be any better at the end of the month. Just look at how many sellers have stopped stocking it and what has happened to prices in the last few days. Assuming they are still available then I would be shocked to see them listed at a BF discount. My $.02 FWIW.
post #1846 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, were they deliberately trying to pass it off as new in box! That may be criminal.
post #1847 of 3255 Old 11-07-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Wow, were they deliberately trying to pass it off as new in box! That may be criminal.
I'd bet it was just a return that somehow got mixed back in with new stock. I can't imagine it was intentional as what customer would accept a TV in that condition if they had paid for new? Mine is supposed to be delivered on Sunday. I'm obviously hoping for a better result.
post #1848 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 05:59 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Also, clear indicators of use would be the protective plastic film around the edges of both the TV and stand are removed. Second, batteries opened from sealed plastic wrap and loose or in remote. Everything in the primary box should be there and packed in other boxes within the Styrofoam packaging. If the outside box has damage, the TV may still be OK, but check it. Even so, I watched my neighbors get a delivery from BB and the delivery guys lost control of a TV that cartwheeled off the loading platform of the truck onto the ground. They still delivered it anyway!
post #1849 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So common sense?
post #1850 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Wouldn't be the first time! A few years ago the Ohio Attorney General's office nailed BB for selling refurbished merchandise as new.
post #1851 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvman View Post
... Even so, I watched my neighbors get a delivery from BB and the delivery guys lost control of a TV that cartwheeled off the loading platform of the truck onto the ground. They still delivered it anyway!
Wow! Now that is amazing... A perfect example of why we inspect deliveries for damage and evidence of mishandling.

Are BB deliveries by uniformed BB employees or do they use third party companies?
post #1852 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsilvertwo View Post
That definitely sucks! You might should have kept the tv for a day though and judged the screen and picture. Then have taken some photos and negotiated, or rather demanded, a lot better price.
Wasn't about to risk that. If I signed off on it I'm sure they would've claimed all damage was my fault since I took delivery.

Quote:
Don't think so. The first thing the delivery guy asked me was if the TV was supposed to be new. I said yes and his response was "I told them that, but they sent the wrong thing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvman View Post
Also, clear indicators of use would be the protective plastic film around the edges of both the TV and stand are removed.
What protective film? This particular delivery had none. Also, nothing protecting the screen. The styrofoam packing was directly in contact with the screen.

As a side note, the saga continues. I called BB today to work on scheduling a delivery of the correct item to find out that my order had been cancelled. Apparently, if you refuse delivery because they sent the wrong (though they claim it wasn't - open box vs new doesn't apparently count as different) item your order will be cancelled. I knew I should have purchased from a more reputable retailer...
post #1853 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeraga View Post
What would make anyone think this TV will be a black Friday item?????. Its a risky gamble IMO, and what would you be saving?? Maybe a hundred or two???
post #1854 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGinAZ View Post
Wow! Now that is amazing... A perfect example of why we inspect deliveries for damage and evidence of mishandling.

Are BB deliveries by uniformed BB employees or do they use third party companies?
Mine was delivered from the BB warehouse. Employees were not wearing BB uniforms. I would have to guess subcontracted.
post #1855 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Mine was NIB, there were 2 packing straps that went around the entire box. No film on the screen, but there was protective film on the bottom bezel & both sides of the stand. There should be 2 black boxes inside. Box 1 has the 3D glasses, box 2 has the 2 remotes (sealed batteries for both) adaptors for the component connections, cable mgt clip, ferrite cores & misc. other mounting bits. There should also be the power cord (which is rather short !!), mounting hardware for the base, a quick start manual & the user manual.
post #1856 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
...As a side note, the saga continues. I called BB today to work on scheduling a delivery of the correct item to find out that my order had been cancelled. Apparently, if you refuse delivery because they sent the wrong (though they claim it wasn't - open box vs new doesn't apparently count as different) item your order will be cancelled. I knew I should have purchased from a more reputable retailer...
Really sorry to hear about your delivery fiasco. I hope you can get a new replacement unit. What you've shared is very valuable. It sounds like the best bet if issues are found with the delivery is to accept it but document all over the paperwork the damages or problems identified. You can then work on getting a replacement unit. If that's not an option you just have them come and pick it up. Failing that, file a credit card dispute and your card will do a charge back.

In my case I would be very unhappy to have my ordered cancelled since I got BB to price match East Coast TV at a great price.
post #1857 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Really sorry to hear about your delivery fiasco. I hope you can get a new replacement unit. What you've shared is very valuable. It sounds like the best bet if issues are found with the delivery is to accept it but document all over the paperwork the damages or problems identified. You can then work on getting a replacement unit. If that's not an option you just have them come and pick it up. Failing that, file a credit card dispute and your card will do a charge back.

In my case I would be very unhappy to have my ordered cancelled since I got BB to price match East Coast TV at a great price.
Not sure if accepting delivery would be a recommended option. Then you'd have to fight to prove that the item was delivered damaged and you took delivery anyway. They would certainly argue that since the item was accepted, it must have been in good condition and therefore the damage happened after delivery. He said she said sort of thing, but with a few grand on the line. Expensive gamble IMHO.

Additionally, with it being so close to discontinued, you might be running in circles with BB until after all existing inventory is exhausted, making it an even bigger risk.
post #1858 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Not sure if accepting delivery would be a recommended option. Then you'd have to fight to prove that the item was delivered damaged and you took delivery anyway. They would certainly argue that since the item was accepted, it must have been in good condition and therefore the damage happened after delivery. He said she said sort of thing, but with a few grand on the line. Expensive gamble IMHO.

Additionally, with it being so close to discontinued, you might be running in circles with BB until after all existing inventory is exhausted, making it an even bigger risk.
Valid concern. That said, it would be hard to argue with damages noted on the delivery paperwork along with photos at the time of delivery.

Either way you still need to try and get a replacement as soon as possible before they're gone. For me, placing a new order without a price match would be s $700 bump in price.

Still wtg for the call to confirm tomorrow's delivery. We'll see how it goes.
post #1859 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 08:50 AM

Just got an e-mail confirmation from BB that my delivery has been "rescheduled" for tomorrow. Tomorrow was my originally scheduled date so whatever... At least that tells me I'm on their calendar.
post #1860 of 3255 Old 11-08-2014, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ordered 60" from Amazon

Just a heads up to all that I tried purchasing the 60" from Best Buy yesterday and they couldn't take my order in store or online. My local Fry's (Austin, TX) was the same deal this morning, though they did have a 60" display model they would have sold me. I didn't try to bargain them down because I wanted one NIB, but they made it clear they were willing to. I just pulled the trigger on Amazon and added the 5-year protection plan for $175 for a grand total of $1859.90 (tax exempt). Shipping was free and earliest I could schedule for was 11/19. That's fine by me as TV will sit in my office while we wait for home renovation to finish. Though I will fire the puppy up to make sure it's problem free.

Thanks y'all for sharing all the purchase stories...Helped me get in on one before they're all gone (hopefully...).

DH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page