Panasonic S60 Deals - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 12-29-2013, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Forget deals, has anyone lately actually found a place to purchase the 50" S60? My brother just graduated from college and is looking to buy his first TV, I suggested this model as a great value and now I can't actually find it anywhere. If only he'd been looking a few months ago frown.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQDuke View Post

I wanted to let everyone know I picked up a 65" S60 at Costco for $900 (marked down from $1400). Yes, it is an S60 NOT an S64. Very happy about the purchased as I had previously jumped on the 50" S60 at Sears for $600 which will either be returned or sold to someone.

Since people will be asking, it was the Costco at Clyborn and Damen in Chicago. It was the last in box unit with the display unit being the other.

Did this have a different item number u could ask stores about?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
post #33 of 51 Old 01-02-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermolicious84 View Post

Forget deals, has anyone lately actually found a place to purchase the 50" S60? My brother just graduated from college and is looking to buy his first TV, I suggested this model as a great value and now I can't actually find it anywhere. If only he'd been looking a few months ago frown.gif

Your best bet is to go to best buy's website and then click all the stores in the store locator near you or your brother. And then just click on "Open Box and Clearance Deals" and go to tvs and home theater > tvs. Then if you find one call and ask whether it was a customer return or floor model. A customer return with the original box is preferable here, as it will likely have far less hours.

It's the only place I know of to locate them reliably. On the plus side, most of the stores that have open box ones have them priced at 602.99 and right now BB is doing a 10 percent off open box deal through 1/4.
dRwOOD73 likes this.
post #34 of 51 Old 01-02-2014, 01:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex99 View Post

Did this have a different item number u could ask stores about?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The SKU from the side of the box is: 8 85170 11099 1

Hope that helps!

post #35 of 51 Old 01-02-2014, 04:26 PM

I managed to find a 55" s60 for $999 at a local store and I was curious if you guys thought that was a good deal? I just moved and have nothing at the moment, but I figured with CES a week away and 4kHD on the horizon that you guys would know if I should buy now or wait. 

post #36 of 51 Old 01-02-2014, 07:12 PM

Looking for opinions, advice really, on purchasing an open box set. I found an open box 50S60, which is what I want, for $550. It's listed as being in "Excellent" condition. What should I look for? Ask about? etc.. before pulling the trigger.

Thanks,

Rob
post #37 of 51 Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarROB View Post

Looking for opinions, advice really, on purchasing an open box set. I found an open box 50S60, which is what I want, for $550. It's listed as being in "Excellent" condition. What should I look for? Ask about? etc.. before pulling the trigger.

Thanks,

Rob

Did you see my post above??

First off, make sure to get your 10 percent extra off before end of the day on 1/4 (unless the price you mentioned already includes this). Second, the main question to ask is whether or not the set in question was a customer return or the store's own display. A customer return is the better buy here since it's highly unlikely it ran for the thousands of hours the store demo did. The only thing to check for then will be any burn in or IR that a customer could have caused inadvertently and then returned it for. The store should be willing to plug it in for you and let you check but really, BB's return policy on TVs is so generous that you can wait until you have it home to check on that and make sure it's all good. It's very easy to check the hours used on a 2013 Panny TV as well.

"Excellent" typically means all the original accessories are included and there isn't any noticeable physical damage. Only because the S series is in such incredibly short supply would I ever consider recommending open box ones at all.
LonestarROB likes this.
post #38 of 51 Old 01-03-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

Did you see my post above??

Sorry, completely missed it I guess redface.gif Thanks for the info!

Rob
post #39 of 51 Old 01-05-2014, 12:28 PM

Well, missed out on the open box set. It's was gone between closing one night and couple hours after opening the next day!! Such is my luck.

Probably wishful thinking, but Does anyone think there will be another stock release again? Closer to the Super Bowl perhaps? I'm guessing I'm SOL. frown.gif

Rob
post #40 of 51 Old 01-05-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, missed out on the open box set. It's was gone between closing one night and couple hours after opening the next day!! Such is my luck.

Probably wishful thinking, but Does anyone think there will be another stock release again? Closer to the Super Bowl perhaps? I'm guessing I'm SOL. frown.gif

Rob

That sucks. Not to worry, though, I regularly see 50S60s come up in the open box inventory of my stores up here in Saint Louis. Remember that there will still be some returns that trickle in, so keep an eye on the open box inventory at the stores near you.
post #41 of 51 Old 01-06-2014, 06:33 AM

Liked: 12
Thanks for all the info.. never thought of looking in the open box section of BB - I really wanted to get my 50" or 55" 1080p Panny plasma before they are gone... love my 42" 720p and fortune has it that I had a good fantasy football year.. so I find myself in the market sooner than expected.. Craglist is always an adventure and my local Costco dispersed of it's Panasonics some time ago.. wish me luck wink.gif

post #42 of 51 Old 01-06-2014, 06:38 AM

What is your opinion on buying a Refurbished set?
post #43 of 51 Old 01-06-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is your opinion on buying a Refurbished set?

I don't think I've ever bought a refurbished TV, though I've bought plenty of refurbished electronics that turned out fine.

Typically, however, refurbished items come with a reduced warranty (Apple etc being an exception) that usually goes down to 90 days to make up for the reduced price. And other questions would remain for me on a refurb plasma display. I.e. what parts are replaced in the course of refurbishment? Just the circuit boards, the entire panel? I'd assume the hour counter on a refurb TV would get reset so you wouldn't know how much it was used before it was returned. *But*, refurbished is always most likely a customer return with very low hours so that's a big plus.

If the warranty is reduced I'd probably pass unless it's just a complete bargain. If the warranty remains the same as a new unit, then I'd say go for it if you can find one.
dRwOOD73 likes this.
post #44 of 51 Old 01-06-2014, 12:38 PM

Liked: 15
just bought a 65S60

didn't really "need one" but couldn't resist with the end here
I have a 2010 50GT25 in the good living room (which is where the best of all 3 HT systems are) and tuned up for my eye in THX or my custom looks really good- deep, rich and accurate.
and 50" and 42" LG plasmas in secondary rooms- bang for the buck on those has been stellar, but there is a difference no doubt.

The 50 just isn't big enough for my 14' viewing distance in my recliner in that room, and seating arrangement choices are limited

so I'll move the GT to the back room which will bump up the experience a bit back there, and the 50 LG to the BR.
I'll either peddle the 42" or put it in my office.

My viewing rooms are dark.

I just wanted a bigger display. No need for the fluff, and although it's not the panel the other readily available fairly discounted choice (VT) is...
(ST's are gone or not being discounted)

The big S has been reviewed as excellent bang for the buck

my only concerns is lines of grad. on a 65" display (S)
but my GT is 6144 also, albeit a smaller display and I have no issue
and my viewing distance helps.
Hope I not disappointed.

The price story is this. MSRP $1700, BB price right now $1500
Walked in and told the associate why I wanted to get one before there gone ect.
and that the lowest price I've seen BB advertise the 65S60 at was mid/high twelves.

my offer was get me one in at $1300 and tax (ugh) and I'll check out right now.
there is ONE in stock at all 2 pages of stores to my zip code, an hour south.
I was headed there next, but I thought I'd try the offer on a not-in-stock item here locally (I'm 7 miles from the BB here)

a little waiting game and check with whoever, comes back to me in 5 and says let's write it up.

Coming a fair distance at least a state away and inventory showed 7, now 6 biggrin.gif

I thought it was fair enough all things considered. The delivery was a plus. I'm a big guy with a big truck and all that but we are deep in winter, there's 2 inches of hard clear ice on my driveway still after the ice storm...
my tiny little GF as a helper? probably not
I'd have to light up one of my dudes and we're all super busy

+ if I have my GT off and mount ready to go on the S I would think they would help me lift it onto the stand...

still debating warranty
have 3 SQ's on two TV's and a fridge. I know what they are and am cool with the limits for what I paid.
Square trade's are a cushion for the fall, not a parachute and priced accordingly

offered the BB 5 year for $329.

seems like a lot of coin, but the coverage is pretty comprehensive
no one who talks about the BB warranty seems to mention that your product is pro-rated for value throughout the term...

anyway can't wait to watch a 65" in the fortress of solitude
post #45 of 51 Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQDuke View Post

I wanted to let everyone know I picked up a 65" S60 at Costco for $900 (marked down from $1400). Yes, it is an S60 NOT an S64. Very happy about the purchased as I had previously jumped on the 50" S60 at Sears for $600 which will either be returned or sold to someone.

Since people will be asking, it was the Costco at Clyborn and Damen in Chicago. It was the last in box unit with the display unit being the other.

I saw this at my local costco but they only had the display for sale. It was priced at $1200.00 still. Think they will haggle with the price since it is the last one and is a display model?
post #46 of 51 Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM

Liked: 41

Yes they will haggle but you have to get the store manager to do it. The best the floor guy can do is take 10% off.

post #47 of 51 Old 01-09-2014, 07:33 AM

Liked: 12
Picked up an "open box" 50s60 yesterday from my local BB.. Thanks to this thread I was able to snag the last one... I was hesitant to buy a floor model - but I didn't want to regret not buying it later on as I continued to scour the interwebs & Craiglist.. although it came without the original box or the stand, for the price ($560) I guess I can live with it & if I need a stand later on I guess I can find one on the webs as well... I have yet to hook it up and see the accumulated hours - it should be well over 2000 (ouch eek.gif) - on the bright side it is well broken in. They still had it up on the wall so I was able to do a thorough examination on the screen & bezel - it looked great (other than the usual darker look of a plasma at the store vs. the retina burners).. This is my first 1080p, very excited to get it hung where my 42" 720p currently resides and enjoying HD bliss.. now I just gotta read all these various calibration threads..biggrin.gif

For those of you still looking, and if your not against "refurbed" units.. I came across some deals on the Sears Outlet site;

http://www.searsoutlet.com/TV-Home-Theater/d/products.jsp?md=ct_md&cid=5941

post #48 of 51 Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 PM

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippem View Post

just bought a 65S60

didn't really "need one" but couldn't resist with the end here
I have a 2010 50GT25 in the good living room (which is where the best of all 3 HT systems are) and tuned up for my eye in THX or my custom looks really good- deep, rich and accurate.
and 50" and 42" LG plasmas in secondary rooms- bang for the buck on those has been stellar, but there is a difference no doubt.

The 50 just isn't big enough for my 14' viewing distance in my recliner in that room, and seating arrangement choices are limited

so I'll move the GT to the back room which will bump up the experience a bit back there, and the 50 LG to the BR.
I'll either peddle the 42" or put it in my office.

My viewing rooms are dark.

I just wanted a bigger display. No need for the fluff, and although it's not the panel the other readily available fairly discounted choice (VT) is...
(ST's are gone or not being discounted)

The big S has been reviewed as excellent bang for the buck

my only concerns is lines of grad. on a 65" display (S)
but my GT is 6144 also, albeit a smaller display and I have no issue
and my viewing distance helps.
Hope I not disappointed.

The price story is this. MSRP $1700, BB price right now $1500
Walked in and told the associate why I wanted to get one before there gone ect.
and that the lowest price I've seen BB advertise the 65S60 at was mid/high twelves.

my offer was get me one in at $1300 and tax (ugh) and I'll check out right now.
there is ONE in stock at all 2 pages of stores to my zip code, an hour south.
I was headed there next, but I thought I'd try the offer on a not-in-stock item here locally (I'm 7 miles from the BB here)

a little waiting game and check with whoever, comes back to me in 5 and says let's write it up.

Coming a fair distance at least a state away and inventory showed 7, now 6 biggrin.gif

I thought it was fair enough all things considered. The delivery was a plus. I'm a big guy with a big truck and all that but we are deep in winter, there's 2 inches of hard clear ice on my driveway still after the ice storm...
my tiny little GF as a helper? probably not
I'd have to light up one of my dudes and we're all super busy

+ if I have my GT off and mount ready to go on the S I would think they would help me lift it onto the stand...

still debating warranty
have 3 SQ's on two TV's and a fridge. I know what they are and am cool with the limits for what I paid.
Square trade's are a cushion for the fall, not a parachute and priced accordingly

offered the BB 5 year for $329.

seems like a lot of coin, but the coverage is pretty comprehensive
no one who talks about the BB warranty seems to mention that your product is pro-rated for value throughout the term...

anyway can't wait to watch a 65" in the fortress of solitude

Where did you find one and for how much? Thanks

post #49 of 51 Old 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Liked: 15
BB = Best Buy

delivered this pm.
would not help me put it up though
had the mounts off my 50 ready to go
woulda taken 10 mins max.

checked the display with flashlight
box was mint

brackets are on, just need a hand maybe tomorow
post #50 of 51 Old 04-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Questions
1) Paid 623 for floor model 50s60. How'd I do?
2) Is the built in screen wipe best way to clear the IR?
3) Been running screen wipe for an hour, seems to be helping but not gone, how long before I declare this burn in and take it back?
4) Any point in running d-nice slides on a panel with 3300 hours on it?
5) Could this be IR too or something else?(description in last paragraph)

TL;DR
Long time no post, hope all u avs ninjas and buds are doing well.

Not sure how I did here, picked up a sears outlet floor model 50s60 from one of the "hometown" small stores. The outlet site has all the floor models at 650 and the refurbs less. The site said new in box, but it was a floor model. Has stand and remote, no box. Over phone they offered 5% off that. I asked for 10% in the store and they got it for me after a phone call. Paid 623 after taxes. After seeing some of the posts here sounds like several have done better but i didn't get pounded.

I had casually started looking at some tv's for a bedroom tv the other day, not a strong want but we've been pondering the upgrade there. Run a 55st30 in the family room. It didn't take long to see the disappointing state of the market with the PannyPlasmas discontinued and the crazy prices on Amazon. I'm not a fan of samsung or led/lcd so scrambled to find one of the dangling panny plasmas. OLED and 4k need more time before they are tickling my price point.

Thought I checked it out pretty well in the store but it does have some IR I didn't see until home. Hope it's IR and not burn in, running the built in screen wipe now. Checked service menu in store and it was 3336hours(139 days), so its got some time on it. Thought, hey no IR so don't worry about the hours, but now I see IR, LOL. No scratches or dead pixels. Nice ESPN logo IR (how do we get logo's banned from tv?). It also has top and bottom bar IR, just a line at the picture-bar divider, not the whole thickness of the aspect bars.

There is also some weird thing on the lower left side I'm really not sure what's going on. It looks like 3 horizontal lines about an inch thick each with a .25in or so gap between them. Top is longest, bottom shortest, middle, middlest. Looking at it with screen wipe when they are lit up with the white bar, they seem to intensify when the entire white bar is on the screen and not divided, if that makes since. Put another way, when the black bar reaches the right edge they intensify. Just weird. Could this be IR too or something else (something with the panel)?
post #51 of 51 Old 04-29-2014, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Questions
1) Paid 623 for floor model 50s60. How'd I do?
2) Is the built in screen wipe best way to clear the IR?
3) Been running screen wipe for an hour, seems to be helping but not gone, how long before I declare this burn in and take it back?
4) Any point in running d-nice slides on a panel with 3300 hours on it?
5) Could this be IR too or something else?(description in last paragraph)

1.) I paid about the same for a floor model of this set @bestbuy here in AZ

2.) Or just watching Content like full screen Blu Rays other HDTV programming

3.) Not sure on that one.

4.) No it sounds like it is broken in with over 100 days so dont worry about that

5.) I would bet it could be some stubborn IR. The Disney WOW BD disc has a pixel flipper that is made for restoring bad pixels and getting rid of IR. You could try that. Great disc to boot.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page