Abe's of Maine? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A friend ordered a Panasonic 60ST60 from them last week and they said to her this Monday she would hear from the shipping company (to be delivered this week). Nothing so far and she has not been able to reach anyone there. I tried to call today (several times) and only reaching voice mail options. Are they still in business??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Liked: 26
A quick Google search of "Abes of Maine scam" resulted in some unhappy customers. They don't seem very trustworthy at a quick glance. It's not a bad idea to search on that when you see a deal that's too good to be true (or even just a little cheaper) and you've never heard of the company.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

A quick Google search of "Abes of Maine scam" resulted in some unhappy customers. They don't seem very trustworthy at a quick glance. It's not a bad idea to search on that when you see a deal that's too good to be true (or even just a little cheaper) and you've never heard of the company.

I purchased my ST30 Panasonic from them and everything was acceptable. They try very hard to upsell the shipping....
post #4 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'll let me friend know to do some research and think it over. She's upset because they already charged her card. She may call AmEx to cancel.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Let your friend write a review explaining the problem on this site,she needs to provide the order number,which will not be visible,just to make sure it's not fake one,then they will contact the store and see their view on this before her review is published,believe me everything will be sorted out so quick,I'm talking out of experience.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Abe_s_of_Maine
post #6 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Fredericks View Post

I'll let me friend know to do some research and think it over. She's upset because they already charged her card. She may call AmEx to cancel.

Abe's of Maine has terrible ratings and bad history. If Abe's can't prove to your friend that the plasma has shipped (tracking number from a carrier) I would highly recommend calling Amex to cancel the purchase. A simple google search will show how bad Abe's reputation is.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 02:35 PM

I purchased a vt50 from Abes about 2 months ago. They try to upsell you a lot and are really pushy and the salesmen are annoying, but I had no problems getting my TV. I had to go with the white glove delivery because Abes doesn't ship for free to my area, but it arrived earlier than expected and in great condition. Abes gets a lot of bad reviews and a lot of people have bad experiences, but my experience was fine and I would probably order again from them.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Isn't Abes located in New Jersey? LOL.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #9 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 02:50 PM

Liked: 19
FWIW - Best Buy will match Abe's. I've had them do it on the two occasions in which I've asked.

Samsung PN64F8500 (still within return policy window and open minded)
Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Definitive Technology 5.1 system
Harmony One remote
post #10 of 17 Old 05-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessender View Post

FWIW - Best Buy will match Abe's. I've had them do it on the two occasions in which I've asked.

BBY is so messed up these days. Shame on the management for the poor training of the Magnolia staff. There couldn't be a more inconsistent pricing situation for a large brick & mortar electronics retailer than BBY.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #11 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

BBY is so messed up these days. Shame on the management for the poor training of the Magnolia staff. There couldn't be a more inconsistent pricing situation for a large brick & mortar electronics retailer than BBY.
Their price match policy is very inconsistent from store to store. They used to be very reluctant to price match or negotiate, but have been forced to do so due to showrooming and declining sales. But it seems to vary at each location, and may be at the discretion of the manager. I normally come out better at HHG, Fry's, or Brandsmart.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-29-2013, 01:34 PM

Liked: 20
Abe's have the F8500 for $2215, anyone ever priced matched them with Best Buy?
post #13 of 17 Old 06-29-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

Who cares? If you have more than one store in your town - Magnolia or otherwise - you use it to your advantage. Then you don't have to deal with companies like East Coast or Abe's who won't except returns.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #14 of 17 Old 06-30-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Actually, there is an assortment of online/B&M retailers that Best Buy will match. They are all specifically named in the official "Low Price Guarantee" policy and have been since March. this policy has been communicated, nay, hammered into the heads of management and employees on the sales floor. There are, of course, managers and employees willing to not follow the policy and match unauthorized retailers like Abe's and ECTV. Just be aware that when a best buy chooses NOT to match one of these retailers, they actually *are* following the policy.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #15 of 17 Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 AM

I just got my pn60f8500 from Abe's. good news is I have the tv, bad news is it was a hassle. Listed in Abe's at 2200 vs. 2800 from my local guy. He wouldn't match price so I took a stab at Abe's. I live in nj, so had to pay tax, but knew where their Edison store location was so at least I felt like they weren't a shadow storefront. Ordered tv with free shipping to be delivered in 5-6 business days on a Sunday. Monday I get a call from the shipping dept. told that the way free shipping works, it will be transferred from truck to truck and not recommended. They had an option for fed ex at 175 bucks or his recommendation, a local guy who would provide white glove install and shorten ship time. I told them that ill stick with the free shipping as promised on site. This sent the guy down a path of charging me insurance at 7% of the purchase price since they don't stand behind the shipping they promote on the website. If you click on a link below the price of the product he explained, this was explained....really? so I haggled with the guy for a while and ended up paying for that fast white glove delivery at a discounted rate. Got an email on Tuesday that order was sent to warehouse. No updates for 1 week called and told it would be shipping any day. 3 days later it shipped and I got number for delivery guy. I offered to pick up tv myself, no go. 3 days later a dude in a panel vn dropped it off...he was rude, didn't want to spend any time waiting for me to check out tv and left the box etc sitting in my living room. I ended up paying 2500 bucks, so saved 3-400 bucks, but don't believe their shipping claims or delivery windows. So far tv working well.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-19-2013, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpkrpw View Post

I just got my pn60f8500 from Abe's. good news is I have the tv, bad news is it was a hassle. Listed in Abe's at 2200 vs. 2800 from my local guy. He wouldn't match price so I took a stab at Abe's. I live in nj, so had to pay tax, but knew where their Edison store location was so at least I felt like they weren't a shadow storefront. Ordered tv with free shipping to be delivered in 5-6 business days on a Sunday. Monday I get a call from the shipping dept. told that the way free shipping works, it will be transferred from truck to truck and not recommended. They had an option for fed ex at 175 bucks or his recommendation, a local guy who would provide white glove install and shorten ship time. I told them that ill stick with the free shipping as promised on site. This sent the guy down a path of charging me insurance at 7% of the purchase price since they don't stand behind the shipping they promote on the website. If you click on a link below the price of the product he explained, this was explained....really? so I haggled with the guy for a while and ended up paying for that fast white glove delivery at a discounted rate. Got an email on Tuesday that order was sent to warehouse. No updates for 1 week called and told it would be shipping any day. 3 days later it shipped and I got number for delivery guy. I offered to pick up tv myself, no go. 3 days later a dude in a panel vn dropped it off...he was rude, didn't want to spend any time waiting for me to check out tv and left the box etc sitting in my living room. I ended up paying 2500 bucks, so saved 3-400 bucks, but don't believe their shipping claims or delivery windows. So far tv working well.

Good thing it worked out ok for you in the end. What places like abe's, and eastcoast tvs and alltimetvs do is very scummy. I think they are all owned by the same group of people, along with powersellernyc.. I believe they are ran by this gang ot friends out of Brooklyn..

Panasonic GT50 55"
Pansaonic VT60 60"
post #17 of 17 Old 12-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Purchased a Samsung UN46F7100 from them yesterday for $1075. Good price (I think) considering everyone else was at $1297. Best price I saw during Black Friday weekend was $1197. Saw the price on their website but didn't purchase through it. No one else would match the price (BB, PC Richard, J&R). They are about 20 miles away from where I live in Central NJ. Spoke to the sales person (Ted, in this case) who said they had 5 in stock. Drove there (Linden, NJ) and purchased it using my AMEX card. Asked me if I wanted the extended warranty.( I was in the room where the sales guys were pushing the extended warranties over the telephone). I said no. That was it No hassle. No hard sell for any money making (for them) extras. Brand new, factory sealed. Had them open it up in front of me to check the screen. Perfect. Plays great. Now if I could only get rid of the flashlight issue which isn't that bad on my screen.
Also updated the firmware.
Much different experience for me than many have had with them via an internet purchase. It was a positive experience for me.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page