Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

just checked amazon. three left at 3300. sons of beeyatches. I hate supply and demand like a mother. I honestly think when yours becomes available again it wont be for 2299. it will be for 3300 as were not fully replenishing stock here.

Looks like best buy is the last stop and then we slip into the milky way of silence on these panels. I thought I heard they were still producing panels to some point in the year. So does that mean there is another run of stock coming? Or am I just selling hope to myself here?

I did check -- as soon as I clicked cancel, one became available for $2299 through Amazon. And it lasted for three minutes. Suppose that's not reassuring but, from what people have posted, several have ordered more than one set with delivery of the second scheduled for several weeks out (in case the first is damaged/defective/displeasing). I'd expect a few lucky people might still get in on the 65/60VT deals if they devote their near future to obsessively checking Amazon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

just checked amazon. three left at 3300. sons of beeyatches. I hate supply and demand like a mother. I honestly think when yours becomes available again it wont be for 2299. it will be for 3300 as were not fully replenishing stock here.

Looks like best buy is the last stop and then we slip into the milky way of silence on these panels. I thought I heard they were still producing panels to some point in the year. So does that mean there is another run of stock coming? Or am I just selling hope to myself here?

Go to Panasonic USA website they have:

VIERA® 60" Class ZT60 Series Full HD Plasma TV (60.1" Diag.) TC-P60ZT60
Ships in 1-3 business days.

Update 22 @ $2,299.99

:

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #1083 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post

Go to Panasonic USA website they have:

VIERA® 60" Class ZT60 Series Full HD Plasma TV (60.1" Diag.) TC-P60ZT60
Ships in 1-3 business days.

Update 22 @ $2,299.99

:

And that's same price with a corporate discount.
post #1084 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12 View Post

Made my decision. Canceled my 60ZT order and will stick with the 60VT. So, as of right now, there's one 60ZT left in stock at Amazon!
Sorry to hear you canceled. All but one reported instance of delamination/fracturing have occurred when the back panel was removed and (apparently) re-applied improperly.
post #1085 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 09:56 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 292

So if on Wednesday the TV is defective I guess I will just get a refund :( Oh well I will just wait until OLED are down to earth or may be the new VIZIO might blow them away :)

post #1086 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 10:02 AM

If you can get passed the blooming/haloing that is apparently in evidence (and the poorer viewing angles), then the Vizio could be considered to have blown it away.wink.gif
post #1087 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View PostIf you can get passed the blooming/haloing that is apparently in evidence (and the poorer viewing angles), then the Vizio could be considered to have blown it away.wink.gif

I am talking about the new reference series from VIZIO shown at CES, I could care less about viewing angle I sit in the middle while watching so non issue

post #1088 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 10:10 AM

Good for you and so am I (discussing this reference Vizio panel): http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57616979-221/tvs-of-ces-2014-wrap-lcds-get-curved-4k-bendy...and-better/

This quote tells me all I need to know about this Vizio supposedly blowing away the plasma competition much less OLED:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnet 
Now if only they can tackle blooming and off-angle issues, and do it at a price similar to those late great plasmas. Maybe next year.
Don't get overly excited about prototypes.
post #1089 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 10:15 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View PostGood for you and so am I (discussing this reference Vizio panel): http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57616979-221/tvs-of-ces-2014-wrap-lcds-get-curved-4k-bendy...and-better/

This quote tells me all I need to know about this Vizio supposedly blowing away the plasma competition much less OLED:
Don't get overly excited about prototypes.

Thanks, oh well, we just need LG and Samsung to bring the flat OLED 77" at a price we can afford then we are all good, in the mean time I love me JVC RS35U on a 10 feet wide screen

post #1090 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 10:18 AM

^That's the spirit. ;0 I would even put up with off-angle issues, but that haloing/blooming bit has me concerned.
post #1091 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^That's the spirit. ;0 I would even put up with off-angle issues, but that haloing/blooming bit has me concerned.

Forget about the LED's wait for OLED's - read many of the posts from CES - our ZT's still the best and recognized by SOUND&VISION as the "TOP PICK OF THE YEAR" - TC-P65ZT60

PS: look at the video from the link above from Vinny97 (now below) - at the end they ask all the panelist what kind of HDTV they have @ home - you all know what the answer is!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57616979-221/tvs-of-ces-2014-wrap-lcds-get-curved-4k-bendy...and-better/

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #1092 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I just had my ZT fixed for the fan noise. Highly recommend getting it done, made a big difference. I asked the Panasonic tech how many of the ZTs he had fixed and he said around 25 so far. Then I asked him if he had seen any of the microfracture issues, and he said no, none. So that is strong evidence from someone who would know that this issue is being seriously overblown like many tend to do on the internet. He also mentioned that the ZTs are unique in that they have a little "groove" that you need to line up the back of the unit with so that you seat it properly without putting any stress on the glass. So bottom line, don't do it yourself, it pays to have an experienced tech do the repair, and in conclusion there is obviously no widespread issue here according to the repair tech who would definitely know.
Quote:

I would avoid having the back panel removed if at all possible...if the technician doesn't re-apply the back panel perfectly, you will develop the dreaded microfracture/delamination issue over time.
post #1093 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 02:38 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKnobber View Post

I just had my ZT fixed for the fan noise. Highly recommend getting it done, made a big difference. I asked the Panasonic tech how many of the ZTs he had fixed and he said around 25 so far. Then I asked him if he had seen any of the microfracture issues, and he said no, none. So that is strong evidence from someone who would know that this issue is being seriously overblown like many tend to do on the internet. He also mentioned that the ZTs are unique in that they have a little "groove" that you need to line up the back of the unit with so that you seat it properly without putting any stress on the glass. So bottom line, don't do it yourself, it pays to have an experienced tech do the repair, and in conclusion there is obviously no widespread issue here according to the repair tech who would definitely know.

As someone who has just picked up a ZT60 on Wednesday with no issues whatsoever, it behooves people to follow the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I think a lot of the fan noise stuff has been hyped and it has sensitized everyone. Imagine who'd be talking about it if internet forums didn't exist. If I told you your fridge has been shown to be overly loud and will likely get louder, you'd start to be bothered by it it and call the repair guy when yesterday you never gave it a thought. Same thing with the delamination. Probably a combination of poor repair work, cold weather, and bad luck has spoiled a handful of displays. It sucks for the people that own them, but for everyone else to be running around with their hair on fire fearing they bought a lemon is ridiculous. I know the ZT's were limited production but there must be 25,000 minimum and a handful of glitches does not make them fragile or jinxed.

post #1094 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Agree with you 100%. Unfortunately for me the fan noise warbling was real and loud and had to be fixed I couldn't watch movies during quiet passages without being disturbed by it. The repair tech said builds that happened after October had the fix already installed at the factory so that could explain why many do not experience it. It was not like a normal fan noise, more low frequency humming.
post #1095 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Agree with you 100%. Unfortunately for me the fan noise warbling was real and loud and had to be fixed I couldn't watch movies during quiet passages without being disturbed by it. The repair tech said builds that happened after October had the fix already installed at the factory so that could explain why many do not experience it. It was not like a normal fan noise, more low frequency humming.

I agree with you without ever having heard what the affected sets sounded like. Some I'm sure are bothersome. But all this chatter has non-affected people freaking out. I just joined this forum a couple days ago and it's astounding how many posts I've seen by people sitting on pins and needles worried if they made a mistake with their purchase. I hope I'm not jinxing myself by writing this. It's hard to justify spending north of 2 grand for a TV when many similar sized sets can be had for a thousand less.

post #1096 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:

4 people at the forum have had the problem so far. Never claimed it was any worse than that, but most of the cracks didn't happen overnight, so I'm almost positive there will be more reports to come. Just because the tech you have is competent and aware of this doesn't mean the rest are, and that is where the risk lies.
post #1097 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

4 people at the forum have had the problem so far. Never claimed it was any worse than that, but most of the cracks didn't happen overnight, so I'm almost positive there will be more reports to come. Just because the tech you have is competent and aware of this doesn't mean the rest are, and that is where the risk lies.

I'm going to have to agree with Vinnie on this. Fracturing/delamination of TV glass is not something that should be happening at ALL, and the reports have been slow admittedly, but steady since the first one we saw. As I've said from the beginning, no need to be up in arms about this as at the very least you'll likely get your money back if it happens to you in the first year, but it IS something a mindful ZT60 owner should check in on every now and then. Theres a difference between blissful ignorance and sky is falling. Just hang out somewhere in the middle and enjoy your TV.

FWIW, the micro fractures play almost nothing into my decision not to keep my ZT.
post #1098 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW1820 View Post

I agree with you without ever having heard what the affected sets sounded like. Some I'm sure are bothersome. But all this chatter has non-affected people freaking out. I just joined this forum a couple days ago and it's astounding how many posts I've seen by people sitting on pins and needles worried if they made a mistake with their purchase. I hope I'm not jinxing myself by writing this. It's hard to justify spending north of 2 grand for a TV when many similar sized sets can be had for a thousand less.

That's the difference between informed and uninformed customers. Once you buy that flagship plasma your hooked. And everything after that is downhill. Lol
post #1099 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really is worrisome. I have a 60ZT on order from Amazon to replace the 60VT I just had delivered (room's a little bright for it and I suspect I have a panel on the more vulnerable end of the IR spectrum -- but no bothersome noise). The VT was a great deal at a bit over $1700 and the ZT at about $400 more. But with the uncertainty about the fracturing/delaminating (impossible to assess risk or prevalence at this point) and no way to know in advance what the ZT's build date will be (and, therefore, it's need for servicing), I'm very, very conflicted. What to do?

Just saw your post. I certainly don't intend people cancelling their TV orders over this (though your reasoning otherwise seems pretty sound) or any other decidedly harsh measures. All I'm saying is that it something to remain vigilant on, and that if you do get an earlier build and hear some fan noise, hold out for a little bit before ordering a technician out to fix it until the micro-fracture issue is a little bit better understood.

On the same token, I won't fault anyone who doesn't want to put up with ANY of it whatsoever. You pay a mint for these things, and some people expect more. That's not something I'm going to argue with.
post #1100 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

Just saw your post. I certainly don't intend people cancelling their TV orders over this (though your reasoning otherwise seems pretty sound) or any other decidedly harsh measures. All I'm saying is that it something to remain vigilant on, and that if you do get an earlier build and hear some fan noise, hold out for a little bit before ordering a technician out to fix it until the micro-fracture issue is a little bit better understood.

On the same token, I won't fault anyone who doesn't want to put up with ANY of it whatsoever. You pay a mint for these things, and some people expect more. That's not something I'm going to argue with.

Thanks for the reply. In fact, it's no loss -- I'm thrilled with my 60VT, I saved several hundred dollars, and I reassured myself that the differences between the models (while technologically important) didn't justify the cost for me. Coupled with my capacity for worry and dissatisfaction with the prospect of needing a service visit from go (fan noise is irritating), it just didn't make sense. As an aside, while I'm very, very particular, I'm really not a home theater guy -- so I greatly appreciate the contributions of the more experienced and better educated. Yes, you guys cause panic and heartbreak but also make this place an amazing resource.

Playdrv4me likes this.
post #1101 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Has anyone had this issue, not due to an improper rear panel re-assembly?

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #1102 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 07:55 PM

One who saw it upon delivery, so who knows how it was handled prior to arrival.
post #1103 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. In fact, it's no loss -- I'm thrilled with my 60VT, I saved several hundred dollars, and I reassured myself that the differences between the models (while technologically important) didn't justify the cost for me. Coupled with my capacity for worry and dissatisfaction with the prospect of needing a service visit from go (fan noise is irritating), it just didn't make sense. As an aside, while I'm very, very particular, I'm really not a home theater guy -- so I greatly appreciate the contributions of the more experienced and better educated. Yes, you guys cause panic and heartbreak but also make this place an amazing resource.

I have no doubt you are gonna love that VT60 smile.gif
post #1104 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 08:47 PM

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW1820 View Post

Be warned, this site can ruin your experience!

People have complained about something on each of the five plasma TVs I've purchase since 2003. No TV is perfect. Every TV has issues, whether it's LED, LCD, CRT and OLED. The ZT is a new design for Panasonic. Not surprising they would have some issues. With that said, I only hear the fan if the TV is muted. But I can sometimes hear it from my seating position which 12 ft from the screen. For me and my family, the noise is not that loud at all. Just a very low fan noise. Even with the fan noise, I can honestly say this is the best TV i've owned and I would buy the same TV again. I'll probably have the fan fixed before my warranty expires. But if I didn't, I could live with it.
post #1105 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

One who saw it upon delivery, so who knows how it was handled prior to arrival.

I don't really get the big deal over this then. It sounds like the incidents are pretty much isolated to sub-standard repair practices. It's pretty hard to verify that what that one person saw was the same type of damage. Not worth anyone freaking out, if you ask me. Not really even worth avoiding the fan fix. Just provide the tech with the service bulletin related to the re-assembly.
eaayoung likes this.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #1106 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 PM

Liked: 26
If anyone's interested I have a 65ZT60 that Best Buy is coming to pick up Monday. It will be headed to their warehouse in Tracy. April build. 140 hours. Didn't see any IR or burn in. A good set, but got the 65VT60 for $900 less. Was trying to sell to any AVS local buyers, but good luck come Monday. There'll be one open box in the Nor Cal region.
post #1107 of 2067 Old 01-18-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

I don't really get the big deal over this then. It sounds like the incidents are pretty much isolated to sub-standard repair practices. It's pretty hard to verify that what that one person saw was the same type of damage. Not worth anyone freaking out, if you ask me. Not really even worth avoiding the fan fix. Just provide the tech with the service bulletin related to the re-assembly.

That's probably because there is no "big deal". The only people MAKING it a big deal are the ones who keep interpreting advice and data collection efforts from some who are trying to help as some kind of fear campaign. No one (we, me) is spreading FUD here. Where in this entire discussion has anyone said to cancel orders, return TVs or run down the street naked with arms flailing about over this? I certainly did not.

I said hold off on the fan fix because we are not yet sure that it is JUST the poor final attachment of the case resulting in the fractures. It's a pretty good guess, but for all we know the stress on these rather weak framed sets of just REMOVING and reinstalling the case could be enough to cause future issues as the tech, whoever they may be, moves the set around during reassembly etc. Perhaps a more detailed set of instructions will come about in the future for exactly how to position the TV before, during and after the fan fix process. Moreover, it may not even be related just to the fan repairs, but if everyone rushes to have the fan fix performed, then there's going to be less usable data around that could potentially come from non fan-fixed units.

It would seem to me, that if you can avoid *ANYTHING* that will result in a problem with the very last set you're likely to find of its kind, you'd want to take proactive steps to prevent it. Not only that, there's no guarantee that a customer throwing a few pieces of paper at a service tech is going to guarantee that tech is going to follow those instructions and more than likely is going to write you off for telling him how to do his job. It may be that in the future these same instructions will be distributed via official channels to all authorized Panasonic service centers.

I could be wrong about all this. It could be much ado about poop. Who cares? Some noisy fans aren't worth risking a problem with a last of its kind TV after what many here went through to finally obtain one. Just trying to help. If you want to gamble, by all means be my guest.
vinnie97 likes this.
post #1108 of 2067 Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Agree with Playdrv4me. My 65ZT60 has quite the fan noise, but I'm not rushing into having the fan fix done, at least not until we know more about it, how to best perform it in a way to safeguard the TV , and its potential correlation with the microfracture issue. However, I don't think anyone should be returning an otherwise perfectly functioning ZT because of this, nor cancel an order of one of those TVs. I also agree that providing the service tech with the service bulletin, while probably better than not, does not guarantee the job will be done properly. Now, if one is lucky enough to find a tech who's done 25 other TVs, that's one thing... I think I would trust such a tech. But to trust a tech whose first TV foam fix job is yours, just because you show them a service bulletin, well I don't know about that.
post #1109 of 2067 Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 AM

I'm with you both. I live in a town of under 17,000, so I'm in no rush to go down that rabbithole.
post #1110 of 2067 Old 01-19-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

That's probably because there is no "big deal". The only people MAKING it a big deal are the ones who keep interpreting advice and data collection efforts from some who are trying to help as some kind of fear campaign. No one (we, me) is spreading FUD here. Where in this entire discussion has anyone said to cancel orders, return TVs or run down the street naked with arms flailing about over this? I certainly did not.

I said hold off on the fan fix because we are not yet sure that it is JUST the poor final attachment of the case resulting in the fractures. It's a pretty good guess, but for all we know the stress on these rather weak framed sets of just REMOVING and reinstalling the case could be enough to cause future issues as the tech, whoever they may be, moves the set around during reassembly etc. Perhaps a more detailed set of instructions will come about in the future for exactly how to position the TV before, during and after the fan fix process. Moreover, it may not even be related just to the fan repairs, but if everyone rushes to have the fan fix performed, then there's going to be less usable data around that could potentially come from non fan-fixed units.

It would seem to me, that if you can avoid *ANYTHING* that will result in a problem with the very last set you're likely to find of its kind, you'd want to take proactive steps to prevent it. Not only that, there's no guarantee that a customer throwing a few pieces of paper at a service tech is going to guarantee that tech is going to follow those instructions and more than likely is going to write you off for telling him how to do his job. It may be that in the future these same instructions will be distributed via official channels to all authorized Panasonic service centers.

I could be wrong about all this. It could be much ado about poop. Who cares? Some noisy fans aren't worth risking a problem with a last of its kind TV after what many here went through to finally obtain one. Just trying to help. If you want to gamble, by all means be my guest.

I understand your motives are good as are everyone's here offering advise and in some cases sympathy for those who got a lemon. I do take issue, and think it wise to avoid casual descriptions of "weak framed sets" being so fragile that perhaps moving it around might damage it. This is what's not cool and causes new owners with no problems to scratch their heads. Of course they're not built like a tank for battlefield use. They're built to be put on the wall or a stand and left alone and occasionally moved or carried. That's all most people want or need. I'm sure the Pioneer Kuro Elite is built better since it weighs 40lbs more but so what? It also listed for $7,000 and most of us bought a ZT for between $2,000 and $3,000 with equal or better picture quality.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page