Old 01-22-2014, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Then they aren't brand new. wink.gif

Idk. I have read that, coming from the factory that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Unfounded rumor at best...there's no way to substantiate it since most are at 0 hours.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Unfounded rumor at best...there's no way to substantiate it since most are at 0 hours.

I would expect they pull a few units from the line here and there for QA. I suppose it's reasonable to assume that they would eventually put those units back into the line and ship them off. Impossible to substantiate though, as you said. You would think they'd have a box or seal that makes it obvious that a TV had been opened before. As it stands, it can be very difficult to tell unless you've opened hundreds of them. I seem to have acquired a sixth sense about it at this point! I actually feel somewhat violated if I buy something new that I can tell has been opened.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
When I tried to order a ZT from Best Buy on Saturday, it let me get up to the point of submitting the shopping cart and stopped me, saying it wasn't available for shipment to my area (Massachusetts). Best Buy has also taken all the Panny plasmas off the walls in my local stores. I was able to successfully order directly from Panasonic, based on the advice earlier in this thread smile.gif.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Old 01-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdallen View Post

When I tried to order a ZT from Best Buy on Saturday, it let me get up to the point of submitting the shopping cart and stopped me, saying it wasn't available for shipment to my area (Massachusetts). Best Buy has also taken all the Panny plasmas off the walls in my local stores. I was able to successfully order directly from Panasonic, based on the advice earlier in this thread smile.gif.

Panasonic's website is showing none available as of last night.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22

No, they come from the factory with zero hours and all accessories in sealed bags. Anything else is either used (hours on the set) or open box.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockFett View Post

Idk. I have read that, coming from the factory that way.

No, they come from the factory with zero hours and all accessories in sealed bags. Anything else is either used (hours on the set) or open box.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW1820 View Post

Do you have a source, or is this just conjecture on your part? I mean, I understand that every single TV having zero hours on it is the easy, and widely accepted, assumption. That said, I think it's plausible that they do run QC on a select percentage of completed TV's at the factory, and then sell them as new. After all, the hours are only listed in the service menu, which in not designed to be user-accessible.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:05 PM

Liked: 10
I'd be inclined to say they can reset the hours back to zero after doing their spot check...
Old 01-22-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Do you have a source, or is this just conjecture on your part? I mean, I understand that every single TV having zero hours on it is the easy, and widely accepted, assumption. That said, I think it's plausible that they do run QC on a select percentage of completed TV's at the factory, and then sell them as new. After all, the hours are only listed in the service menu, which in not designed to be user-accessible.

I'm going to say I'm probably wrong on this. After reading a few more posts from people more knowledgeable than myself, it's entire plausible that they'd test random units and put them back on the line to be packaged and sold. In fact, those units are probably the best of all because they've been further tested and passed. But the question remains how many hours the factory actually subjects them to. The other thing is, the factory could easily reset the boards to zero when they're done with them so no one would know which sets were examined and which weren't. In any event, all accessories would be factory sealed so the only people who touched them were factory workers. So an open box is still an open box. It might have hours put on it by a buyer or the factory. We may never know by whom.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW1820 View Post

I'm going to say I'm probably wrong on this. After reading a few more posts from people more knowledgeable than myself, it's entire plausible that they'd test random units and put them back on the line to be packaged and sold. In fact, those units are probably the best of all because they've been further tested and passed. But the question remains how many hours the factory actually subjects them to. The other thing is, the factory could easily reset the boards to zero when they're done with them so no one would know which sets were examined and which weren't. In any event, all accessories would be factory sealed so the only people who touched them were factory workers. So an open box is still an open box. It might have hours put on it by a buyer or the factory. We may never know by whom.

I thought that as well, about the hours, but the whole point of the counter is for technical troubleshooting purposes. I'd think to maintain the integrity of the counter they would leave it alone. I could also see it as something that literally has no way of being reset. After all, if the factory can reset it, then some enterprising consumer could hack it, just like every other piece of firmware. Also, who are they hiding the extra hours from? Again, this isn't something they expect consumers to have access to.

Just for the sake of being technical, an "open box" can only be an "open box" if the box has been opened. If they pull them off the line before they are packaged, then had it packaged, the box would technically never have been opened.

One thing is for sure. The world may never know...smile.gif

Old 01-22-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex99 View Post

I'd be inclined to say they can reset the hours back to zero after doing their spot check...

Yes, maybe they could.

But, FWIW, in a completely non-related industry, we select units at random for more in-depth/extended quality audits. In the course of these audits more than typical new machine hours of use are accumulated on the units. We do not reset the hours. Instead, a note is sent with each unit indicating it had been selected at random for additional quality audit processes.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

Yes, maybe they could.

But, FWIW, in a completely non-related industry, we select units at random for more in-depth/extended quality audits. In the course of these audits more than typical new machine hours of use are accumulated on the units. We do not reset the hours. Instead, a note is sent with each unit indicating it had been selected at random for additional quality audit processes.

I would agree with this - nearly all production lines do quality assurance checks

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Paid $2199 + tax for a brand new, unopened ZT60 this morning at Magnolia in Bellevue, WA. The had the VT next to it selling for $1999.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:32 PM

Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybh1 View Post

Paid $2199 + tax for a brand new, unopened ZT60 this morning at Magnolia in Bellevue, WA. The had the VT next to it selling for $1999.

Xxzt60?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

I have read the brand new some of these are being shipped with a 100 hours or so on them already.

Lol, the 100 hour one was actually my old TV that I had originally bought new and then returned, then bought again open box (long story), but both new ZTs I've had definitely had 0 hours when unboxed.

BTW, for anyone looking in the STL area or somewhere in the Midwest, my other brand new ZT60 is currently for sale in the classifieds. I did unpack and assemble it, but I have all the original packing materials and none of the remotes manuals glasses etc have been opened. TV has been tested and has about 12 hours on it. Decided to keep my 141 so the ZT is for sale (just had been too lazy to make it "official" until now). You will of course receive the BB receipt and your full warranty.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Xxzt60?

Best Buy price on the N.I.B. 60ZT60 I ordered was $2299.

Granted, I have not yet received it, but at least it seems to be moving though the system with the stock transfer acknowledged.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex99 View Post

I bet they could, but I bet they have better things to do as well. How many people actually check the hours on there units ? Probably not even 1 % .
Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybh1 View Post

Xxzt60?

60" most likely as that's the same price my local Magnolia had it for. Interestingly, that's $100 less than the online BB price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

60" most likely as that's the same price my local Magnolia had it for. Interestingly, that's $100 less than the online BB price.

They have 60" (not 65") in NYC/Westchester county area of NY for $2,300 price online

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 AM

Liked: 41

Showing 2299 online for me too, so y'all are saying it's a 100 cheaper in stores.....if you can find one?

Just curious if anyone has been able to order a 65VT online through BB in the last day? Already posted in VT thread but figured I'd ask here too.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchersDad View Post

Showing 2299 online for me too, so y'all are saying it's a 100 cheaper in stores.....if you can find one?

Yes, at certain stores. My Magnolia didn't have it in stock per se, but they are getting it from the warehouse. Worth calling all the BB's in your area...
Old 01-23-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They have to recoup some of that free shipping and delivery. wink.gif

OTOH, more often than not, I find the prices online are same or better than at my closest store. Clearance/closeout et al certainly could be a different situation than normal stock items.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

this was just posted on CNET by David Katzmaier January 22, 2014 1:11 PM PST - Six big screens for the big game!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57617617-221/six-big-screens-for-the-big-game/

what I found interesting was this - maybe David knows something we don't - he is in the NY area

"Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 (65-inch plasma, $3,199) The S60, ST60, and VT60 are nearly sold out in this size, but happily the ZT60's clearance price (Best Buy quoted above) is as low as it's ever been. If you've got the cash and a room that's not super-bright, it's our strongest recommendation on this list. And yes, it's still the very best TV for picture quality we've ever reviewed."

Old 01-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

Quote:

They have to recoup some of that free shipping and delivery. wink.gif.

Delivery was free from the store for the $2200 price as well.

As for shipping, it's not clear whether you can buy online if the unit is not available at a warehouse in your geographic area. Hopefully for our AVS members.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As for shipping, it's not clear whether you can buy online if the unit is not available at a warehouse in your geographic area. Hopefully for our AVS members.

I think it's pretty clear that you can't if they're out of the product in your territory/region (or however it's set up).

I first tried to order a 60VT60 for home delivery but it wouldn't let me. So, I tried to order one for store delivery and tried every one in my state; wouldn't let me do that either.

Next I tried the 60ZT60 and delivery to store or delivery to home was no problem either way.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes 60". Was told they have a few left in stock and just the display 60" VT after which they won't be getting anymore in stock
Old 01-23-2014, 07:36 PM

Liked: 11
I see the 65ZT60 is available in store right now.
Best Buy
925 PATTERSON PLANK RD
SECAUCUS, NJ 07094

I tried ordering it and have it shipped to California but it won't let me. No stock in nearby warehouses. I hope that helps someone.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianny View Post

I see the 65ZT60 is available in store right now.
Best Buy
925 PATTERSON PLANK RD
SECAUCUS, NJ 07094

I tried ordering it and have it shipped to California but it won't let me. No stock in nearby warehouses. I hope that helps someone.

I scheduled for store p/u and it went through when I change the order to "ship" it said "not available" (see bottom) COST $3,199.00

Remove Panasonic - VIERA - 65" Class (64-3/4" Diag.) - Plasma - 1080p - 600Hz - Smart - 3D - HDTV TC-P65ZT60

Picking up in store

Pick up: Today, Fri., Jan. 24
We’ll hold until: Sat., Feb. 1

We’ll e-mail you when your order is ready for pickup.

Secaucus NJ
925 PATTERSON PLANK RD
SECAUCUS, NJ 07094
Phone: 201-325-2277

Panasonic - VIERA - 65" Class (64-3/4" Diag.) - Plasma - 1080p - 600Hz - Smart - 3D - HDTV

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv