Panasonic ZT60 Deals... - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 2079 Old 09-07-2014, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Alright everyone, I've been on a journey the last couple days to try and find a 65zt60, so here's my travel log.

Saturday
I went to a number of ABC Warehouse in southeast Michigan hoping to snag a display unit. Obviously, most told me they ran out months ago and if I saw one, to buy it immediately.

ABC Warehouse, Southfield, MI
They had a single 65zt60 marked at $2199. It wasn't in the best shape cosmetically. I had the sales guy give me the remote so I could run the screen wipe and some RGB/grayscale slides. The wipe and slides immediately revealed very obvious burn-in in the lower left corner. It appeared that the unit had run a demo with an Alicia Keyes music video, as her name was clearly visible.

I went home after and called a number of stores that were farther away to see if they had one. Most didn't, but one store informed me that I could check the clearance section of ABC's web site to see if anyone had one in stock. I found a few that were within an hour or so of me, including some down in Ohio. I confirmed that two stores had them while two (Utica and Waterford Township) did not.

Because it was so late, I wasn't able to get ahold of all the stores I wanted to visit, but luckily two of the stores were on their way to stores that claimed to have one. I planned to spend Sunday hitting them

Sunday
ABC Warehouse, Toledo, OH
Single 65zt60 marked at $2399 or something like that. It was up and off the show floor, so it was in very good cosmetic condition. I noticed burn-in in the lower right corner when running the slides and screen wipe. It was very obviously the LG logo from an LG BR player that was hooked up to the TV. The sales guy noticed the burn-in and allowed me to run the wipe while I visited the Sylvania location. It did not fix itself in the half hour trip to and from Sylvania. The sales guy, Mike, was a good guy, though.

What irked me about this one, though, was that the TV had apparently been moved from a different location and input a few weeks prior. If I had come down in August, everything probably would have been OK.

ABC Warehouse, Sylvania, OH
Single 65zt60 marked at $2599 with a 3 year warranty. When I walked in, the TV was on the NFL network. This immediately concerned me, and my fears were confirmed when I checked the wipe and slides. Sales guy was OK, but not particularly good.

ABC Warehouse, Macomb Township, MI
After a rough 1h45m drive, I arrived at the Macomb Township ABC Warehouse to find a single 65zt60 marked at about $2200. Without me asking, the sales guy checked the price and came back with something around $1850. I was excited, as I know that whatever they first offer you is a good 10-15% more than what they'll take. This excitement was short-lived, however, as I noticed the same Alicia Keyes burn-in as the unit in Southfield, although much less severe. I briefly considered offering a lowball price, but thought the better of it and left.

ABC Warehouse, Port Huron, MI
When I first walk into the store, I couldn't find the TV. It's nowhere near the other display models. I wandered into the audio showroom, though, and there it was. It was, by a considerable margin, the best unit I had seen yet in terms of cosmetic condition. I imagine this was due to it being so far out of the way. The TV was actually off when I first saw it, but I noticed that it was hooked to a BR player with a Panasonic demo disc inside. I took this as a good sign, as it meant that the set probably hadn't been hooked up to cable.

I ran the screen wipe and my slides and noticed absolutely no irregularities or burn-in. The demo disc material looked great, and it appeared the set had about 2700 hours on it, which I was perfectly comfortable with. I was in at this point. I told the sales guy that the marked price, $2999, was too high. He talked to his manager and came back with about $2200+tax. I told him that the last store I was at was closer to $1700, which was only a half-truth. He came back with $2000 out the door. I told him $1800 would do it. After talking to him again, his manager came over and said that $2000 was absolutely it, and that they'd rather just sit on the TV than let it go for $1800 OTD. I tried to haggle more, but it was clear to me that this guy was not BSing me and he wasn't going to move. $2000 was basically my absolute maximum, but given the condition of the set, I agreed to it. It even came with all the accessories, including the 3D glasses and second touch pad remote. Some of the others I looked at did not, so that definitely factored into it as well.

Conclusion
The real takeaway here is that the more out of the way a store was, the more likely they are to have one. Stores in busy shopping areas, like Canton or Southgate, won't have them, but stores in places like Port Huron, just might.

TL;DR
- 1 tank of gas
- 2 states
- 5 stores
- 4 65zt60s with burn in
- 1 65ZT60 in my home theater

Last edited by evanft; 09-11-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2079 Old 09-07-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Congrats on a great find. Worth all your time and effort. Sit back and enjoy since got one of the last ones.
post #2073 of 2079 Old 09-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
Alright everyone, I've been on a journey the last couple days to try and find a 65zt60, so here's my travel log.

Saturday
I went to a number of ABC Warehouse in southeast Michigan hoping to snag a display unit. Obviously, most told me they ran out months ago and if I saw one, to buy it immediately.

They had a single 65zt60 marked at $2199. It wasn't in the best shape cosmetically. I had the sales guy give me the remote so I could run the screen wipe and some RGB/grayscale slides. The wipe and slides immediately revealed very obvious burn-in in the lower left corner. It appeared that the unit had run a demo with an Alicia Keyes music video, as her name was clearly visible.

I went home after and called a number of stores that were farther away to see if they had one. Most didn't, but one store informed me that I could check the clearance section of ABC's web site to see if anyone had one in stock. I found a few that were within an hour or so of me, including some down in Ohio. I confirmed that two stores had them while two (Utica and Waterford Township) did not.

Because it was so late, I wasn't able to get ahold of all the stores I wanted to visit, but luckily two of the stores were on their way to stores that claimed to have one. I planned to spend Sunday hitting them

Sunday
Single 65zt60 marked at $2399 or something like that. It was up and off the show floor, so it was in very good cosmetic condition. I noticed burn-in in the lower right corner when running the slides and screen wipe. It was very obviously the LG logo from an LG BR player that was hooked up to the TV. The sales guy noticed the burn-in and allowed me to run the wipe while I visited the Sylvania location. It did not fix itself in the half hour trip to and from Sylvania. The sales guy, Mike, was a good guy, though.

What irked me about this one, though, was that the TV had apparently been moved from a different location and input a few weeks prior. If I had come down in August, everything probably would have been OK.

Single 65zt60 marked at $2599 with a 6 year warranty. When I walked in, the TV was on the NFL network. This immediately concerned me, and my fears were confirmed when I checked the wipe and slides. Sales guy was OK, but not particularly good.

After a rough 1h45m drive, I arrived at the Macomb Township ABC Warehouse to find a single 65zt60 marked at about $2200. Without me asking, the sales guy checked the price and came back with something around $1850. I was excited, as I know that whatever they first offer you is a good 10-15% more than what they'll take. This excitement was short-lived, however, as I noticed the same Alicia Keyes burn-in as the unit in Southfield, although much less severe. I briefly considered offering a lowball price, but thought the better of it and left.

When I first walk into the store, I can't find the TV. It's nowhere near the other display models. I wandered into the audio showroom, though, and there it was. It was, by a considerable margin, the best unit I had seen yet in terms of cosmetic condition. I image this was due to it being so far out of the way. The TV was actually off when I first saw it, but I noticed that it was hooked to a BR player with a Panasonic demo disc inside. I took this as a good sign, as it meant that the set probably hadn't been hooked up to cable.

I ran the screen wipe and my slides and noticed absolutely no irregularities or burn-in. The demo disc material looked great, and it appeared the set had about 2700 hours on it, which I was perfectly comfortable with. I was in at this point. I told the sales guy that the marked price, $2999, was too high. He talked to his manager and came back with about $2200+tax. I told him that the last store I was at was closer to $1700, which was only a half-truth. He came back with $2000 out the door. I told him $1800 would do it. After talking to him again, his manager came over and said that $2000 was absolutely it, and that they'd rather just sit on the TV than let it go for $1800 OTD. I tried to haggle more, but it was clear to me that this guy was not BSing me and he wasn't going to move. $2000 was basically my absolute maximum, but given the condition of the set, I agreed to it. It even came with all the accessories, including the 3D glasses and second touch pad remote. Some of the others I looked at did not, so that definitely factored into it as well.

Conclusion
The real takeaway here is that the more out of the way a store was, the more likely they are to have one. Stores in busy shopping areas, like Canton or Southgate, won't have them, but stores in places like Port Huron, just might.

TL;DR
- 1 tank of gas
- 2 states
- 5 stores
- 4 65zt60s with burn in
Congrats, but I'm not sure I would've gone through that much trouble for a TV, especially the risks you took driving nearly 2 hours to one store only to find a ZT60 with massive IR and not buying it.

Last edited by HLdan; 09-07-2014 at 09:06 PM.
post #2074 of 2079 Old 09-08-2014, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Thanks for the update! I wish there were more stores around my area, Houston, that had floor models. Definitely the tv to pick up if you can find one in good condition.

fdsfds
post #2075 of 2079 Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Congrats, but I'm not sure I would've gone through that much trouble for a TV, especially the risks you took driving nearly 2 hours to one store only to find a ZT60 with massive IR and not buying it.
Meh. I didn't have anything better to do and wanted an excuse to get out of the house for an afternoon.
post #2076 of 2079 Old 09-10-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post

Saturday

Sunday

Single 65zt60 marked at $2599 with a 6 year warranty. When I walked in, the TV was on the NFL network. This immediately concerned me, and my fears were confirmed when I checked the wipe and slides. Sales guy was OK, but not particularly good.

When I first walk into the store, I couldn't find the TV. It's nowhere near the other display models. I wandered into the audio showroom, though, and there it was. It was, by a considerable margin, the best unit I had seen yet in terms of cosmetic condition. I imagine this was due to it being so far out of the way. The TV was actually off when I first saw it, but I noticed that it was hooked to a BR player with a Panasonic demo disc inside. I took this as a good sign, as it meant that the set probably hadn't been hooked up to cable.

Conclusion

TL;DR
- 1 tank of gas
- 2 states
- 5 stores
- 4 65zt60s with burn in
Congrats worth more than a tank of gas and some time invested. Ultimately a great deal imo !
StinDaWg likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #2077 of 2079 Old 09-11-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Congrats worth more than a tank of gas and some time invested. Ultimately a great deal imo !
I'm very happy with it. It's an upgrade from a 55st30, and I'm actually stunned with how much better the picture quality is. Also, the 10" jump in size is fantastic. I really wanted a bigger TV and was planning to wait for OLED, but it's clear to me that it's going to be at least 3 years before the technology is mature enough to invest $3k+ into.
post #2078 of 2079 Old 09-11-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Yes agree, used to have the ST30 and I agree significant upgrade. I went the floor model route also although with a VT60 no regrets thus far. The size upgrade is a nice bonus also can't imaging going back to a 55".

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page