Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

So you paid no shipping insurance?

Even if he did, it's listed on the website (though not obvious, it's there).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 411 Old 10-07-2013, 11:01 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

So you paid no shipping insurance?

I did not pay for shipping insurance or anything else other than the price. The only thing that was different than the website price was that I, like a lot of people, put in the code for the additional discount. When they did the follow-up call with me to try to up-sell they also told me that I needed to pay by cash to get that discount. I wanted the protection of my credit card, so I let them reverse that discount.

AM Home Delivery or whatever it is called covers my area which I why I think there was no shipping insurance charge. But, that is just speculation on my part.
post #273 of 411 Old 10-08-2013, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know definitively if SONY honors warranties for sets purchased from Eastcoasttvs?
post #274 of 411 Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'd wager it's the same as Samsung since they have very similar phrasing; but I have no experience to draw on:

"When you purchase Sony consumer products from retailers within Sony's Authorized Dealers, you can be assured you are not purchasing products that may have been altered or products with obliterated serial numbers, which could void the limited warranty that accompanies Sony products."
post #275 of 411 Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 PM

Liked: 12
Great thread... I found eastcoast tvs on my own... And altime tvs too... Both websites are set up nearly identical... Same discounts, etc. That made me go looking for ratings of the website... As it seemed like it might be a scam... Get your cc charged and disappear and no tv ever shows up....

Note they are rated a B by the BBB.
http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business-reviews/internet-shopping/east-coast-tvs-in-linden-nj-90045885

They are rated REALLY well on yelp and reseller ratings.com

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/East_Coast_TV_s

9.6 out of 10 by 1700 raters. Yes they could have faked 1700 ratings but in my experience that's a lot of faking... Most wont go through that much trouble...

Then this thread.... No one have posted an experience I would be worried about... Canceling my order and giving me a full refund... Ok. Deliver me a refurbished item as new... Or a lesser tv model than I ordered.. Or a non new tv... Or no tv.... Those are my fears.

Note I went to BB magnolia (is that supposed to seem like a difference store? It's staffed by BB employees... Anyway... The person I talked to knew a ton about tvs... Obviously read this forum (more than me... I've read the threads about the VT, ZT and now the 8500)... Anyway... I was all set to buy if they could get anywhere close to eastcoast ft... Currently 2399 for the Sammy 64 inch 8500...

BB price was 3379 ish... Not including tax (6% state of mi)... Add that in and I'm sitting 3580ish... That's a 1200 swing.... I can't do it. They refused to match eastcoast... He knew of them and said specifically no way those guys are not legit...he told me if I buy from them that samsung will refuse to honor the warranty (either he was uninformed or lying.. I think lying...). But... He's doing what other BB people and I'm sure samsung themselves want... Trying to get consumers to avoid the discounters...

Anyway... Reading this thread and hearing people talk about Cleveland Plasma... I called for his Price. I talked to Chris (assuming the one mentioned In this thread). He was nice and honest I think (my gut impression)... He said if I buy from him that I'd have 24 hrs to return the tv if anything was damaged in shipping. I'd just have to call him and he would ship another tv and they would swap it for the damaged one. I'll admit he confused me with saying one of his delivery services would make me sign off on the tv on the the spot... Another would not... I think he said for a panny I would but a Sammy I'd get the 24 hrs. He said he would email me the delivery process if I ordered... The 24 hrs to call him is not on his website... Which worried me a bit. But,.. My gut still was he's an honest guy.

Anyway... His total price out the door no hassling or added charges (his words) was 2700.... Saving me more than 800$. He said white glove delivery was not worth the $100 he'd have to charge me...

So eastcoast tv and pay 2400+150 upsell for shipping and insurance... 2550 total. Or 2700 for Cleveland Plasma... 150 difference...

My last shot for a local sale is Paul's TV. I originally was thinking panny VT before seeing it and feeling it couldn't show a true white (everything is bluefish gray... No stark white IMO...seen 3 different sets). Anyway... Irrelevant... Paul's tv was willing to lower their price to 2700 on the VT. If they will do that on the samsung 65 8500...I'm all for buying from them and not having to worry about anything and being able to return locally...

Thanks for those that posted about their experiences with their sellers (no matter who it was)
nfraso likes this.
post #276 of 411 Old 10-14-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good stuff, Ftballfn!
post #277 of 411 Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 PM

Just talked to Paul's TV online rep (Juan).. no joy on the Samsung F8500 65 inch... price locked.

He did point me to the Panny VT and ZT 65 inch... VT is ~2400 total (shipped and they pay taxes)... ZT is 3200 shipped/taxes paid.  That's tempting.. 10 days to return for any reason.. however I asked about fan noise (can I exchange for excessive fan noise).. He said they would send someone out to look at it and determine if it was a defect or not... not crazy about that (for any reason doesn't sound like for any reason when they have to verify the reason and say its a reason)...

So I have to decide Panny for a sweet price (before Thursday when sale ends) from local store.. or Samsung (my first choice) from EC or CP (and if price difference is worth hassle vs some peace of mind from CP-see they sponsor the site, etc.. that makes me feel good about ordering from him).

Consolation is if Panny doesn't work with bright great room (two windows facing southwest) I can move it to finished basement where I eventually want to set up theatre room... but then I have to save up for TV in greatroom where 90% of TV watching happens.  (sorry for all off topic blathering... and horrible grammar in previous post!.. was actually an English major in college).

post #278 of 411 Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftballfn View Post

Just talked to Paul's TV online rep (Juan).. no joy on the Samsung F8500 65 inch... price locked.

He did point me to the Panny VT and ZT 65 inch... VT is ~2400 total (shipped and they pay taxes)... ZT is 3200 shipped/taxes paid.  That's tempting.. 10 days to return for any reason.. however I asked about fan noise (can I exchange for excessive fan noise).. He said they would send someone out to look at it and determine if it was a defect or not... not crazy about that (for any reason doesn't sound like for any reason when they have to verify the reason and say its a reason)...

So I have to decide Panny for a sweet price (before Thursday when sale ends) from local store.. or Samsung (my first choice) from EC or CP (and if price difference is worth hassle vs some peace of mind from CP-see they sponsor the site, etc.. that makes me feel good about ordering from him).

Consolation is if Panny doesn't work with bright great room (two windows facing southwest) I can move it to finished basement where I eventually want to set up theatre room... but then I have to save up for TV in greatroom where 90% of TV watching happens.  (sorry for all off topic blathering... and horrible grammar in previous post!.. was actually an English major in college).

Have you tried Greystone Appliance for the Samsung?
http://www.greystoneappliance.com/Samsung-PN64F8500-64-1080p-3D-Plasma-HDTV-p/pn64f8500.htm
greenhavenn likes this.
post #279 of 411 Old 10-18-2013, 09:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel7 View Post

Have you tried Greystone Appliance for the Samsung?
http://www.greystoneappliance.com/Samsung-PN64F8500-64-1080p-3D-Plasma-HDTV-p/pn64f8500.htm

A good friend bought his 64F8500 from them a few weeks ago, no issues what so ever.
post #280 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 AM

I decided to make an account on here after lurking for sometime. First, I wanted to thank the OP for being dedicated to the thread whether it may make it seem like a cheerleader for ECTV or not, it really doesn't matter IMO. Also, I don't know whether bumping a month old thread is considered 'bad' here or if I'm beating a dead horse. The only other forum I have experience with is myg37, so I thought it'd be useful to become part of another forum I care about.

OK ANYWAYS. I'm happy the OP has posted this thread and others have contributed as well because I really didn't want to pay the extra $800-$900 to BB/Amazon for a UN55F8000. Which is why I'll be taking the plunge at an unauthorized dealer - Abe's of Maine. They have just as shotty reviews as does ECTV, but the difference for me is that I will be going to there 'showroom' and picking it up.

However, the only downfall is that they ONLY accept cash if I purchase at there 'showroom'? I may just purchase it ONLINE, use my card, and pick it up just so I have some sort of protection.

I don't feel that the OP is being a cheerleader for ECTV because after all the negative reviews about them ect., I've yet to hear or see a dedicated thread of some sort that gives clear cut examples of other scenarios. SO, I believe that defending ECTV to an extent is just fine, and if I had purchased an expensive product as well, I would defend them just like the guy who is employed at BB defends them so heavily. I don't see the purpose in giving them the extra $800-900 just for a 30 day warranty, SURE IT'S NICE! Which is why I'll be trying to get them to price-match ECTV/Abe's of Maine within a 2 hour radius in NJ, and if it doesn't work... OH WELL! I'm not a heavy supporter of BB anyways. I went in there the other day looking at TV's for maybe 45 minutes to 1 hour and not ONE employee approached me to see if I needed help!! CS??? Seems like the same as ECTV/AoM but in a different light!

In fact, one time I had the BIGGEST problem with them for returning a B&W unit but I won't get into that. 

;TLDR

IF ANY BB doesn't price-match within a 2 hour radius the UN55F8000 - I'll be taking my business to Abe's of Maine and posting results.

nfraso likes this.
post #281 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnysG View Post

I decided to make an account on here after lurking for sometime. First, I wanted to thank the OP for being dedicated to the thread whether it may make it seem like a cheerleader for ECTV or not, it really doesn't matter IMO. Also, I don't know whether bumping a month old thread is considered 'bad' here or if I'm beating a dead horse. The only other forum I have experience with is myg37, so I thought it'd be useful to become part of another forum I care about.

OK ANYWAYS. I'm happy the OP has posted this thread and others have contributed as well because I really didn't want to pay the extra $800-$900 to BB/Amazon for a UN55F8000. Which is why I'll be taking the plunge at an unauthorized dealer - Abe's of Maine. They have just as shotty reviews as does ECTV, but the difference for me is that I will be going to there 'showroom' and picking it up.

However, the only downfall is that they ONLY accept cash if I purchase at there 'showroom'? I may just purchase it ONLINE, use my card, and pick it up just so I have some sort of protection.

I don't feel that the OP is being a cheerleader for ECTV because after all the negative reviews about them ect., I've yet to hear or see a dedicated thread of some sort that gives clear cut examples of other scenarios. SO, I believe that defending ECTV to an extent is just fine, and if I had purchased an expensive product as well, I would defend them just like the guy who is employed at BB defends them so heavily. I don't see the purpose in giving them the extra $800-900 just for a 30 day warranty, SURE IT'S NICE! Which is why I'll be trying to get them to price-match ECTV/Abe's of Maine within a 2 hour radius in NJ, and if it doesn't work... OH WELL! I'm not a heavy supporter of BB anyways. I went in there the other day looking at TV's for maybe 45 minutes to 1 hour and not ONE employee approached me to see if I needed help!! CS??? Seems like the same as ECTV/AoM but in a different light!

In fact, one time I had the BIGGEST problem with them for returning a B&W unit but I won't get into that. 

;TLDR

IF ANY BB doesn't price-match within a 2 hour radius the UN55F8000 - I'll be taking my business to Abe's of Maine and posting results.

I just don't see any reason why a retailer would refuse all but cash payments for such a large purchase. The only benefit here would be for them to strip the customer of their power in the event of a dispute. Sure, they loose a few percentage points of margin, but that is part of the business. Also, If they're such a reputable place, why aren't they an authorized dealer?
Ftballfn likes this.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #282 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 09:42 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:

I just don't see any reason why a retailer would refuse all but cash payments for such a large purchase. The only benefit here would be for them to strip the customer of their power in the event of a dispute. Sure, they loose a few percentage points of margin, but that is part of the business. Also, If they're such a reputable place, why aren't they an authorized dealer?

Speakerphile is right on this. DO NOT make such a $$$$ purchase using cash, you have no recourse if the deal goes wrong. I don't like using credit cards but even I used the Discover to buy my Panasonic ST60 from Best Buy

And take it from someone who ONLY uses a credit card sparingly. I pay cash for just about everything and even use store gift cards for alot of online purchases.

However I would not trust any merchant with a policy such as this. Scam is written all over it.
Ftballfn likes this.

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #283 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:

I never said they were reputable, I stated they are the same as ECTV/All Time TV etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

Speakerphile is right on this. DO NOT make such a $$$$ purchase using cash, you have no recourse if the deal goes wrong. I don't like using credit cards but even I used the Discover to buy my Panasonic ST60 from Best Buy

And take it from someone who ONLY uses a credit card sparingly. I pay cash for just about everything and even use store gift cards for alot of online purchases.

However I would not trust any merchant with a policy such as this. Scam is written all over it.

Yes, I'm aware it's a concern. Which is why I stated I will be going to numerous BB's in my area before taking this approach. If they do not end up honoring some sort of discount, I will end up at Abe's. Which I DON'T mind - because I think I can purchase it online anyways when I'm in the store/warehouse and simply pick it up. (At least I'm hoping this is how it will work out if BB doesn't come down on their price point). 

However, I just read a thread that Samsung is reporting discounts on there F8000 model. I will print that out as well as the prices on Abe's and ECTV and see what happens. I'm pretty confident that they will end up matching Samsung's official price discount considering it's listed on their website. 

We'll see and I will keep this updated throughout the weekend.

post #284 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, If they're such a reputable place, why aren't they an authorized dealer?

This logic is terrible- the same could be said of Cleveland Plasma.

Reputable and authorized have nothing to do with each other; and of course we already know authorized really has nothing to do with anything. It's all but worthless.
post #285 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never said they were reputable, I stated they are the same as ECTV/All Time TV etc...

Yes, I'm aware it's a concern. Which is why I stated I will be going to numerous BB's in my area before taking this approach. If they do not end up honoring some sort of discount, I will end up at Abe's. Which I DON'T mind - because I think I can purchase it online anyways when I'm in the store/warehouse and simply pick it up. (At least I'm hoping this is how it will work out if BB doesn't come down on their price point). 

However, I just read a thread that Samsung is reporting discounts on there F8000 model. I will print that out as well as the prices on Abe's and ECTV and see what happens. I'm pretty confident that they will end up matching Samsung's official price discount considering it's listed on their website. 

We'll see and I will keep this updated throughout the weekend.

There wouldn't be a need for Best Buy to match Samsung, since they would have the same sale price.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #286 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

This logic is terrible- the same could be said of Cleveland Plasma.

Reputable and authorized have nothing to do with each other; and of course we already know authorized really has nothing to do with anything. It's all but worthless.

An exception does not disprove a rule.

Any non-authorized dealer has the option of putting in place policies that support a great customer experience. CP chooses to do this. ECTV, Abe's, AllTimeTV's etc. do not.

post #287 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4 View Post

A good friend bought his 64F8500 from them a few weeks ago, no issues what so ever.

Doesn't look like they force you to get any sort of insurance or upcharges

post #288 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

An exception does not disprove a rule.

Any non-authorized dealer has the option of putting in place policies that support a great customer experience while charging more for doing so. CP chooses to do this. ECTV, Abe's, AllTimeTV's etc. do not.

Yes, but you left out a small detail. wink.gif
post #289 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 11:11 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Currently 2399 for the Sammy 64 inch 8500...

You lost me at that. Great job though. You're why the best vendor in the business is leaving the marketplace.
post #290 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by housequestion View Post

You lost me at that. Great job though. You're why the best vendor in the business is leaving the marketplace.

Explain?
post #291 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

Yes, but you left out a small detail. wink.gif

That's a fair criticism.

post #292 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 11:24 AM

Liked: 19
When you spend money on some wanna be Korean knock off, you push the innovators in the industry out of the marketplace.
post #293 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

When you spend money on some wanna be Korean knock off, you push the innovators in the industry out of the marketplace.

If Samsung is not an innovator, how are they the only one with the brightest plasma and less ABL? Who are they knocking off?
post #294 of 411 Old 11-22-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm afraid you lost me here. Are you saying that Samsung is a "wanna be, knock off" brand? If so, your opinion is in the extreme minority.

post #295 of 411 Old 11-23-2013, 12:00 PM

I have a hypothetical question. Say I buy my TV at Abe's correct, find out a week or two later there may be some dead pixels. What would happen if I bought a TV @ BB and put the bad one in and returned the unit? Completely hypothetical, I was wondering about BB policies and such because I'm sure many consumers have done this before.

post #296 of 411 Old 11-23-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a hypothetical question. Say I buy my TV at Abe's correct, find out a week or two later there may be some dead pixels. What would happen if I bought a TV @ BB and put the bad one in and returned the unit? Completely hypothetical, I was wondering about BB policies and such because I'm sure many consumers have done this before.

Wow, this is dishonest. Why not call Abe's and see what they'll do for you?wink.gif

post #297 of 411 Old 11-23-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

BB is hip to this little scam. They check the serial numbers so throwing the bad pixel one in the box of the good pixel one won't work. Hell, BB doesn't even require you to HAVE the box on a return, they record the serial number in THEIR system. So you can't even bring the TV by itself because the S/Ns will not match. I suppose if you wanted to go to all the trouble and risk of damage in swapping the panels themselves some dishonest person could do that, but by then you've put all your own labor into a rather minor endeavor.
post #298 of 411 Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Wow, this is dishonest. Why not call Abe's and see what they'll do for you?wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

BB is hip to this little scam. They check the serial numbers so throwing the bad pixel one in the box of the good pixel one won't work. Hell, BB doesn't even require you to HAVE the box on a return, they record the serial number in THEIR system. So you can't even bring the TV by itself because the S/Ns will not match. I suppose if you wanted to go to all the trouble and risk of damage in swapping the panels themselves some dishonest person could do that, but by then you've put all your own labor into a rather minor endeavor.

And charging $800-900 more for a TV is any better? I went to multiple BB's the other day and everyone was nasty as hell. I've never liked BB and I'll never support there company nor the way they treat their customers. The way I see it as just as bad as Abe's/ECTV but in a different manner.

post #299 of 411 Old 11-23-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And charging $800-900 more for a TV is any better? I went to multiple BB's the other day and everyone was nasty as hell. I've never liked BB and I'll never support there company nor the way they treat their customers. The way I see it as just as bad as Abe's/ECTV but in a different manner.

You are certainly free to vote with your wallet. Trying to cause them undue financial harm in order to support your choice to do business with an even more unscrupulous retailer is going a bit too far, don't you think? If you choose to save money in lieu of proper customer service and the support of a respectable dealer. You should bite the bullet and live with the results.

On a side note, are you actually in this particular situation? Will the manufacturer not help you out?

post #300 of 411 Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftballfn View Post

Anyway... Reading this thread and hearing people talk about Cleveland Plasma... I called for his Price. I talked to Chris (assuming the one mentioned In this thread). He was nice and honest I think (my gut impression)... He said if I buy from him that I'd have 24 hrs to return the tv if anything was damaged in shipping. I'd just have to call him and he would ship another tv and they would swap it for the damaged one. I'll admit he confused me with saying one of his delivery services would make me sign off on the tv on the the spot... Another would not... I think he said for a panny I would but a Sammy I'd get the 24 hrs. He said he would email me the delivery process if I ordered... The 24 hrs to call him is not on his website... Which worried me a bit. But,.. My gut still was he's an honest guy.(no matter who it was)

I just sent chris an email to see if they'd match Conn's pricing on the 64 F8500. If they do, I'll order from them and let you know how the order goes.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page