The East Coast TV's Experiment - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #361 of 420 Old 03-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
East Coast TVs is bad. Here is my experience with them.

I placed an order on their web site for a projector. After 4 days it was still in pending status. I called in and I was transferred to nowhere and was put on hold for over 5 minutes. Then I called again and was transferred again to a person called Steve something. No single explanation or apology... I was not happy at all and decided to cancel the order. Actually I was glad my order was in pending so that I could cancel it. The guy canceled the order right away. BUT.... shortly a guy who claimed himself the manager called me and told me the order was shipped. I told him your CS told me it was not and had canceled the order already and now you told me it was shipped. what a big liar. He then tried calling using a bunch of different numbers.

The worst service I have ever seen. Stay away from them. They are evil.
greenhavenn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 420 Old 03-24-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 164
Being able to cancel an online order while it's pending, especially 4 days later is quite a rarity these days. Anyone should have been skeptical of that, especially without an actual confirmation via email or the website order status.

So I'm not really sure what outcome you're looking for here; if you didn't want the projector you wouldn't have ordered it. Sounds like it shipped and you will have it.

Incompetent, sure. Evil, meh...
post #363 of 420 Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 AM

I just received my PN60F8500 from ECTV for <$2k delivered. Took a long time (as expected) but overall a great deal. Ordered march 25th. Shipped march 28th. Delivered April 9th. I initially refused "express white glove shipping" but as the rep kept reducing it down, I opted for it when it hit $49. He forced the insurance on me @1.5% which is needless since you can refuse the shipment unless the TV is in perfect working condition. So after considering this fact, I emailed a few hours later and asked for the insurance to be cancelled and it was quickly done and credited to my CC. overall, best deal out there that I could find. Fantastic TV as well.
post #364 of 420 Old 04-10-2014, 11:04 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Are you serious with this? What you are conceding here is that EC actually practices a bait & switch. That actual definition of it. This is a federal crime. You are OK with this?

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/baitads-gd.htm

Upselling is not a crime. If they do not offer the original item that you requested, only then it's a crime. Having a surchage for shipping is also not a crime.

Live and let live. There are people who are willing to pay more for better service. Go to Bestbuy, Amazon, etc. Then there are people who like to research properly, buy once, and save money. Everybody wins. There's no point in convincing that either of their approach is wrong.
post #365 of 420 Old 04-10-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31

Maybe up-selling is not a crime, but all buyers should beware that TV manufacturers are fighting back at unauthorized resellers.  One of Best Buys competitors, PC Richards just put up a letter from Samsung with a list of the top worst unauthorized resellers.  All Time TV, Eastcoast TV and Abes of Main made the top three. 

This list is worth your review and careful consideration before spending your hard earned dollars with an unauthorized dealer.   When I asked the PC Richard's sales manager for a discount he offered a small token break and told me to beware of low prices from online retailers.  The manager showed me this list from Samsung and another one from LG.  Most of the retailers were repeated on both lists.  I'm looking for a UHD TV or OLED and among other benefits of buying from an authorized dealer you get an additional 3 months of factory warranty. 

Personally I like supporting retailers that are recognized by the manufacturer you are investing in and staying away the ones who hit the list of unauthorized dealers.  It must be harder to get on the *%$#@ list that play it straight and get on the authorized list.

Greg

post #366 of 420 Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
so your saying an AVS sponsor clevelandplasma.com is not authorized to sell Samsung according to that list. I find that very hard to believe.
post #367 of 420 Old 04-11-2014, 05:34 AM

Liked: 31

I had not seen that before.  I only looked at the list briefly and saw the top three so it was relevant to this thread.  The list came from Samsung and I got the list from PC Richard's website and have now removed the list. 

post #368 of 420 Old 04-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I wasn't trying to give you a hard time or anything just thought that I would question the list a bit since an AVS sponsor is on it and I am pretty sure he is authorized to sell them (Samsung that is).
post #369 of 420 Old 04-11-2014, 03:45 PM

I think the bottom line of this thread is: Nobody has been "jipped" by East Coast Tv's. Some people have cancelled before receiving their products for various reasons. Some a lack of patience, some because of skepticism, some because of customer service dissatisfaction, and some because of straight up shipping delays that happen with every company from Best Buy, to Amazon, to Sears. But nobody has gotten a belt instead of a television, or no television at all for their money. Everybody has gotten a new product, everyone has a manufacturer's warranty, and an extended warranty from various 3rd parties if they desired. I am one of many in this thread who've had a smooth and painless very satisfying experience with ECTV's. So please let's stop with the fear mongering. Are they and their prices legit? Yes! You may have to pay a small additional insurance or shipping charge, but for the price... it's no big deal. I personally saved myself a minimum of $1200 on my PN64F8500, I have a 15 month manufacturer's warranty from Samsung, and a 5 year extended warranty that includes accident insurance from Securranty. Best of luck to those who choose to place an order, and to those who choose to pay more for the ability to swap and exchange for 15-30-60 days.

Vantage Point EVO mounting system
Samsung PN64F8500
Darbee DVP-5000
Onkyo TX-NR5008
Onkyo HT-S9400THX
Oppo BDP-103D
DirecTV HR-34 "Genie"
PS4 and 3ghz Custom HTPC

post #370 of 420 Old 04-15-2014, 11:13 AM

Liked: 10

I wish I had found this thread earlier!  I ordered my PN64F8500 from East Coast TVs on Saturday (4/12), for  $2,489.00, and was sent an email saying it was shipped on Monday (4/14).  But when I contacted the shipper to find out the expected delivery date, I was told they sent it to the wrong shipper because they don't deliver to Virginia.  East Coast TV is closed for the Passover holiday, so I can't contact them to find out what the new status is.  Needless to say, I'm bummed -- and after submitting to the after-sales upsell phone call and forking over $189 for "express shipping" plus $128 for shipping insurance, I feel like I need a shower -- or maybe two.

I will post what happens..

post #371 of 420 Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
logan12th, I am truly happy your transaction worked out and you just had to bear with the hard sell and extra unexpected and misleading shipping and insurance charges. But your otherwise pleasant experience is not the normal case. So it's like playing Russian Roulette with these rogue retailers. Plus if Samsung knew you purchased from Eastcoast TV your warranty would be limited to one year, while buyers who go through a Samsung authorized dealer get an additional 3 months of factory warranty.

Also, not sure how your math figures a minimum savings of $1,200.

For peace of mind and a no hassle experience I think it's best to negotiate discount and do business with authorized dealers on high cost premium items.
post #372 of 420 Old 04-15-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
All the other great points aside, I'm not sure an additional 3 months of warranty is much to crow about.
post #373 of 420 Old 04-15-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInRichmond View Post

I wish I had found this thread earlier!  I ordered my PN64F8500 from East Coast TVs on Saturday (4/12), for  $2,489.00, and was sent an email saying it was shipped on Monday (4/14).  But when I contacted the shipper to find out the expected delivery date, I was told they sent it to the wrong shipper because they don't deliver to Virginia.  East Coast TV is closed for the Passover holiday, so I can't contact them to find out what the new status is.  Needless to say, I'm bummed -- and after submitting to the after-sales upsell phone call and forking over $189 for "express shipping" plus $128 for shipping insurance, I feel like I need a shower -- or maybe two.
You should have called Chris at ClevelandAV (assuming I'm reading your post correctly that you paid $2,489 + 189 + 128).
post #374 of 420 Old 04-15-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

All the other great points aside, I'm not sure an additional 3 months of warranty is much to crow about.

Unless your TV breaks down between the one year and one year and three months mark. Then the extra 3 months would be very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

You should have called Chris at ClevelandAV (assuming I'm reading your post correctly that you paid $2,489 + 189 + 128).

Good point, but this new member did not know ClevelandAV as he just joined today. However most authorized dealers will give a break to make the sale.
post #375 of 420 Old 04-15-2014, 03:35 PM

The price I paid, was the price last year when The retail price stayed at $3400.00+ before taxes (which here in California was over $200.) at all the "Authorized retailers". Not Even Cleveland Plasma who I've read nothing but good things about here, could come close at the time. So my savings THEN were no boast, especially since I price shopped HARD from the moment it was released. That said, I also have to disagree with your "Russian Roulette" statement when it comes to grouping in this particular seller. Not because I myself had a pleasant experience, but because of the accounts in this thread alone. Not a single person that I can recall, complained being "jipped" by ECTV. The same complaints I've read here about ECTVs, are the same complaints I've read about at every big box store site. I came across this thread early last year trying to do my due diligence about the company and it was largely becaue of the accounts of those who actually ordered and waited to take delivery of their products that I decided to use them. And I'm glad I did. I hate to sound like I'm some kind of ECTV defender, because I'm really just a satisfied 1 time only customer. And if I should have a different experience with a future purchase from them of a negative nature, I'ma let 'em have it! But the fact that most of the negative comments here stem from people who are affiliated with other retailers, have never ordered from them, or didn't wait to receive their merchandise. And most of all have to do with ECTV not being an "Authorized Seller", and that somehow that implies that their "shady" or "risky". I feel that is doing people who perform web searches (like me) and come here to this particular thread to find out if they can actually really get a T.V. from this company with the really low advertised price they found on the internet a disservice. I mean, there are some internet offers with this company that you just HAVE TO NOT EVEN CONSIDER on general stupidity rules, like the additional 2% off for paying cash. But otherwise....

Samsung PN64F8500
Darbee DVP-5000
Onkyo TX-NR5008
Onkyo HT-S9400THX
Oppo BDP-103D
DirecTV HR-34 "Genie"
PS4 and 3ghz Custom HTPC

post #376 of 420 Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnura View Post

Unless your TV breaks down between the one year and one year and three months mark. Then the extra 3 months would be very important.
Good point, but this new member did not know ClevelandAV as he just joined today. However most authorized dealers will give a break to make the sale.

You're right... but my extended warranty kicks in after 12 Anyway. The accident insurance is from day one, and covers stupid things like spills, throwing the Wii remote into the screen, or it just dropping off the wall mount. I really needed that piece of mind.

Samsung PN64F8500
Darbee DVP-5000
Onkyo TX-NR5008
Onkyo HT-S9400THX
Oppo BDP-103D
DirecTV HR-34 "Genie"
PS4 and 3ghz Custom HTPC

post #377 of 420 Old 04-15-2014, 04:05 PM

Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnura View Post

Sure, but let's look at the probability of this happening....sure, we've heard the occasional reports of TVs failing at 13 months but we're talking tiny numbers here.
post #378 of 420 Old 04-17-2014, 06:26 AM

On a complex -- and expensive -- piece of technology like this, I think you're nuts not to purchase an in-home extended warranty anyway.

ECTV Order Update:

They found my TV.  It was shipped via AM Home Delivery and should arrive by tomorrow.

They also refunded me the $128 "Travel Protection" insurance after I complained that it was unnecessary and insisted on a refund.

post #379 of 420 Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 AM

My new PN64F8500 was delivered yesterday in perfect condition.

Bottom line: 

Despite some initial angst over the shipping arrangements, My East Coast TV experience was positive and I paid less than I would have via Amazon or Crutchfield.

post #380 of 420 Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:

My new PN64F8500 was delivered yesterday in perfect condition.
Bottom line: 
Despite some initial angst over the shipping arrangements, My East Coast TV experience was positive and I paid less than I would have via Amazon or Crutchfield.

Glad it worked out. I think this thread has been very useful. I have read all 13 pages and given that and my recent experience perhaps a brief summary would help future readers:

- East Coast delivers (eventually) perfect condition large screens reliably and at arguably the best price anywhere.
- Work the "express white glove shipping" down to $49. Just keep saying your on a budget and it will get to $49.
- Let them hit you with the useless 1.5% insurance so you can get off the phone. Then call or email later and ask to cancel for refund. Email worked well for me.
- Prepare to wait up to 2 weeks (west coast) for your new TV but enjoy how much $$ you saved when it arrives.
- Buy a square-trade(or other) extended warranty with 30-40% off coupons (available via email signup or Google it).

Wish I would have sprung for the PN64F8500 but I am really enjoying my PN60F8500 @ $1969 no tax and $49 shipping.
post #381 of 420 Old 04-24-2014, 11:30 AM

My new PN64F8500 is magnificent -- it's so bright and clear that on outdoor scenes I feel like I'm right there outdoors too.

A footnote to my tale:  Although I did pay too much for shipping, when I found out that I could get a 4-yr extended warranty through SquareTrade from Costco for $89, I requested and received a refund of the $199.99 I paid ECTV for a 3-yr MACK warranty.

post #382 of 420 Old 04-25-2014, 05:16 PM

Just put my east cost tv order in today. I realize that this thread has already come to the conclusion that everything is legit, but figured I'd add to it in case anyone else is on the fence like I was.

64" f8500 for <$2300
post #383 of 420 Old 04-28-2014, 09:33 AM

Wow -- nice price!  Hope your delivery is uneventful.

post #384 of 420 Old 04-30-2014, 08:10 AM

Trust me from personal experience, this company keeps selling TVs that they dont have. They put "Ships in 1 or 2 days" and if you reject their warranty they simply wont ship your product and will tell you its on back order. You are better off to buy the TV from a reputable company with no warranty. With companies who behave sketchy and lie , do you really think they'll still be around to service your warranty?

These guys are worse than used car salesmen.

post #385 of 420 Old 04-30-2014, 10:02 AM

I would recommend that you never expect the store that sells you a consumer product to "be around to service it."  You can only rely on the manufacturer's warranty (Samsung provides in-home service for 1 year) and, if you feel the need for longer coverage -- an extended warranty from a third party with a known track record (like SquareTrade, for example).

post #386 of 420 Old 04-30-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:

I would recommend that you never expect the store that sells you a consumer product to "be around to service it."  You can only rely on the manufacturer's warranty (Samsung provides in-home service for 1 year) and, if you feel the need for longer coverage -- an extended warranty from a third party with a known track record (like SquareTrade, for example).

East Coast TVs

1. Uses false advertising by saying that something will ship in 1 or 2 days when in fact my order was on back order for 1 month. 

2. They use false advertising by saying that its free shipping and then attempting to charge $81.36 for "shipping insurance"

3. They hold up orders by shipping only to those who pay for their warranty

False advertising is a serious issue and I will look into reporting them to the FCC. If you also have had issues with East Coast TVs and their false advertising you can report ;

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov, or call toll-free 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)

post #387 of 420 Old 05-01-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast bad View Post

East Coast TVs

1. Uses false advertising by saying that something will ship in 1 or 2 days when in fact my order was on back order for 1 month. 

2. They use false advertising by saying that its free shipping and then attempting to charge $81.36 for "shipping insurance"

3. They hold up orders by shipping only to those who pay for their warranty

False advertising is a serious issue and I will look into reporting them to the FCC. If you also have had issues with East Coast TVs and their false advertising you can report ;

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov, or call toll-free 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)

You can't even be taken seriously, considering your agenda driven name, and claims that have been proven false by a great many satisfied customers in this thread alone.

Samsung PN64F8500
Darbee DVP-5000
Onkyo TX-NR5008
Onkyo HT-S9400THX
Oppo BDP-103D
DirecTV HR-34 "Genie"
PS4 and 3ghz Custom HTPC

post #388 of 420 Old 05-05-2014, 04:58 PM

To follow up...and possibly be able to say that I'm one of the last to get a new plasma...my Sammy 64" f8500 arrived today via AM Home Delivery in perfect condition with a March 2014 manufacture date.  Add $99 to my previous post for shipping.  I'll admit that ECTV's website does not make it clear that you will be (at least upsold) on the shipping charge since I was able to order through the web and received a purchase order that said 'free shipping.'  Of course, like all else here, the phone call came and the back and forth haggling began.  AM Home Delivery was efficient and courteous.  It took a little over a week between purchase and delivery.

In the end, I've got a brand new PDP ready to hang for 100s less than elsewhere.  I'm happy.

post #389 of 420 Old 05-17-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 138
Interesting discussion.

To pile on the Best Buy experience, some of the experiences here is exactly why I stopped buying anything from them. I still use their stores to look at TV's but I wouldn't buy from them even if they on an off-day did price match what I wanted. My main gripe is exactly what the comments here reflect -- that their experience is so arbitrarily different from store to store, region to region. I have the bad luck (now) of living in Central New Jersey, possibly the worst place in the US to deal with Best Buy. I used to live in California and it was night and day better (BTW, the same thing can be said of the Apples Stores here versus there, so it seems to be a "Jersey thing"). I remember when I was shopping for the last year of the Pioneer Elite's. There were just tons and tons of posts here and elsewhere of the actual buying experiences of others at their Best Buy's. In the end, I got someone to actually PM me a photo of their exact receipt from their Best Buy and give me the name of their store manager. I called the manager and spoke to him and he confirmed the sale and said I could use his name and have my local BB people call him. I ended up traveling to 5 Best Buys in my greater area and not one even bothered. They wouldn't play ball at all, not even discounting it a little beyond offering a deal if I got an expense stand with it. They were $1,500 off what another Best Buy offered (and that was just one example of many). One of the 5 stores I even convinced to call the manager of the other BB. I showed all the receipt and other examples of other BB. I worked my way up to managers in every case. Even after speaking to the other manager in the other state they'd all come back and say they "weren't interested" in discounting the set, sorry.

I've also had no luck getting them to price match other authorized stores. The managers have said that while price matching is a national policy, that stores have "discretion" to not do it. In one case I brought in a physical ad from the P.C. Richard store that was physically across the street and got the store on the phone to prove they had inventory. The manager acknowledged the price difference and said it fell within their policy but that he was "exercising his discretion not to match." Similar experience at the other Central NJ stores. Welcome to Jersey. Lived here for 12 years now, after many years in CA, and still haven't gotten over how much worse customer service is across the broad, how everything expects more money for less service, and how much harder it is to get people to give you a fair deal than it was in CA. Morale of the story for those that say "try a different Best Buy" or "try a different manager," sometimes it's not that simple. Sometimes the regional attitude trumps common sense or decency.

Amazon no the other hand has been consistently awesome. They have price matched with ease, the shipping has always been free and equivalent of "white glove" installation, I have returned things always without hassle, when anything has ever gone wrong -- like a delayed delivery -- they have proactively given me credits for my trouble.

East Coast is based about 40 minutes from me BTW, but with a TV I would never buy from a place I didn't have the option/leverage to return to if I had an initial issue. To each their own.
post #390 of 420 Old 05-17-2014, 09:35 PM

Thanks for a long discussion with a lot of helpful information. I've placed my first order with ECTV early last week and got it yesterday. The shipping of about 10 days from NJ to CA is not bad. The model is Samsung UN65F8000. I briefly checked everything and signed on the delivery. However, I later on found out the TV is not a US version but a Canadian version. While they both been called UN65F8000, there is difference here, the US version is UN65F8000BFXZA  and Canadian version is UN65F8000AFXZC. When I tried to registered on www.samsung.com, there is only the US version available, and I selected it and input the serial #, and everything went through, I even got an email confirmation about this registration. I'm now concerned about getting warranty if any problem happens, and called ECTV yesterday and was told someone will call me on Mon to help me register correctly. Did someone have the same issue before? Any advice is appreciated.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page