8Likes

post #421 of 434 Old 08-25-2014, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post
Sparty nice, seems like everything is good to go. I wonder if LG would allow you to also register the warranty?

I was thinking of getting the Samsung UN85HU8550 which retails for $10k but EastCoast has it for $8,379.00. But then I looked at the LG 84UB9800 which also retails for $10k and it's only $6,729.00! That's almost unbelievable.
I ordered my LG 65UB9500 last week and I expect it this week. I have the tracking # from AM Trucking, but they haven't yet called to schedule the delivery. I plan on registering the set right away, so I'll let you know how it goes.
SubSolar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 434 Old 08-26-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by corneliusm View Post
I ordered my LG 65UB9500 last week and I expect it this week. I have the tracking # from AM Trucking, but they haven't yet called to schedule the delivery. I plan on registering the set right away, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Stay on top of AM Trucking. I just had my Plasma delivered from NY by them. They will deliver without issue but they aren't very good with keeping up with posting the tracking info. They didn't call me until the day before they were planning on delivering my TV. Got the call on Thursday for a Friday delivery.
post #423 of 434 Old 08-26-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fascinating reading through this thread from the beginning!

Thanks to the OP for starting it - it's obviously saved a good number of people thousands of dollars.

Kind of hilarious seeing some people jump in half way through (and even as recently as a couple of months ago) accusing OP of being a shill for ECTV, etc.

Anyway, I haven't dealt with one of these "east coast" companies in many years, but I had similar experiences back in the 90's and 00's with the likes of Abe's of Maine, etc. The tactics are exactly the same from what I remember back then, and the results are similar. The call-backs, the upsells, and the never-before-heard-of shipping companies.

If you have the stomach for it, though, the savings can be significant. I'm looking at almost $1K cheaper for a PN60F8500 currently compared to Amazon or Best Buy (and that's before even considering taxes).

Honestly, I've never had a good experience at Best Buy despite dealing with them throughout the years they've been in business. I know there are exceptions, but I've personally never met a sales person there who knew what they were talking about, and never once felt like they added any value, outside of the convenience of being able to walk into the store and pick up what you wanted immediately, for their usually significant mark-ups. I can't tell you how many times I've walked out of one of my local BB's thinking "never again - never again!" Of course, the next time I happen to need something immediately...

I typically buy from Amazon these days because they're convenient, trustworthy, and make it as painless as possible to do business with them, but with a difference in price this significant, I'm willing to go through the extra hassle.

Thanks again to the OP for sticking through this despite the negativity from some people.

And now I'll sit back and wait til someone calls me a shill because I don't have over a thousand posts in the forum...
HLdan likes this.
post #424 of 434 Old 08-27-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Stay on top of AM Trucking. I just had my Plasma delivered from NY by them. They will deliver without issue but they aren't very good with keeping up with posting the tracking info. They didn't call me until the day before they were planning on delivering my TV. Got the call on Thursday for a Friday delivery.
AM Trucking called yesterday and are delivering today. I couldn't reschedule for Friday (the original date I was hoping for as I'll need to be home that day to meet with multiple contractors anyway). They indicated it would likely be after the weekend if I wanted to reschedule, so I went ahead and confirmed the appointment. They told me they'd call me with a half hour notice, which gives me just enough time to leave the office and head over. Minor inconvenience, but my employer is flexible and I'll get my TV sooner.

7 day delivery, and I paid $120 for WG service (ECTV threw in better wall mount to help)- I'm embarrassed to say. They told me that it would take 3 weeks to deliver otherwise, and that they'd drop it off and not stick around to see if the set turns on. I'd rather have the piece of mind. Still, even with the upsell, I saved $300 over what I'd pay at Amazon, and $450 over what I'd pay at BB currently (incl tax).

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by corneliusm; 08-27-2014 at 04:58 AM.
post #425 of 434 Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
AM Trucking called yesterday and are delivering today. I couldn't reschedule for Friday (the original date I was hoping for as I'll need to be home that day to meet with multiple contractors anyway). They indicated it would likely be after the weekend if I wanted to reschedule, so I went ahead and confirmed the appointment. They told me they'd call me with a half hour notice, which gives me just enough time to leave the office and head over. Minor inconvenience, but my employer is flexible and I'll get my TV sooner.

7 day delivery, and I paid $120 for WG service (ECTV threw in better wall mount to help)- I'm embarrassed to say. They told me that it would take 3 weeks to deliver otherwise, and that they'd drop it off and not stick around to see if the set turns on. I'd rather have the piece of mind. Still, even with the upsell, I saved $300 over what I'd pay at Amazon, and $450 over what I'd pay at BB currently (incl tax).

I'll keep you posted.
No worries, you still got a nice deal. The odds and ends upsell costs/fees may seem like gouging to some others but are really trivial at the end of the day because all that matters is the bottom line out the door price and what you're getting for it and it looks like you made out very well. I would've done the same thing. The White Glove Delivery makes sense because if there is any damage or if it's DOA AM Trucking will take the TV back with them and ECTV's will ship you out a replacement ASAP.
Yes, please keep us posted. It's important that the forum hears about the experiences of others in regards to the purchasing experience from start to delivery with these "grey market" resellers. I had a good experience in the end. It was a little crazy at the start understanding their sales practices but the savings was worth it and you get the same product and the same warranty as if you were buying at Best Buy.
post #426 of 434 Old 08-28-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered a UN65HU9000 from ECTV's. I am a newbie her but have been lurking for awhile. I didn't negotiate much with them on the phone when they called. I figured the TV was much less than buying from best buy and the extra I paid over the advertised amount was worth it for them to send it w/o difficulty. I also live in Oregon, so WG was a good idea. the extra shipping cost So here is the deal.. UN65HU9000, TS01 panel, WG delivery, shipping protection, (2) 6 ft HDMI2 cables = $3328. They just sent it AM express, it shipped within hours of the order. Can't wait to get it.

Last edited by alanmacdougall; 08-28-2014 at 02:41 PM.
post #427 of 434 Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
You don't need to pay for so called "shippin protection", it's a scam to increase their net profit. ALL trucking companies operating in the United States already have shipping insurance or are bonded (self-insured) and pay any claims directly when they damage or lose freight (i deal with this stuff in my industry).

What exactly does their "shipping protection" do for you that the trucking company's own insurance doesn't do?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #428 of 434 Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
You don't need to pay for so called "shippin protection", it's a scam to increase their net profit. ALL trucking companies operating in the United States already have shipping insurance or are bonded (self-insured) and pay any claims directly when they damage or lose freight (i deal with this stuff in my industry).

What exactly does their "shipping protection" do for you that the trucking company's own insurance doesn't do?

I think everyone knows you don't need it but it's just one of those things you know you have to pay in addition to complete the transaction. Let them call it whatever they want, they could say hey we have to charge you x amount for the heck of it. Here's your new total, still a good deal when you compare it to the big box stores so we pay it.

Ultimately I just wish east coast would get rid of their up sale policy. Just say here's our out the door price and make it a couple hundred more than what's listed on the site. Still the best deal out there and eliminates the headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alanmacdougall likes this.
post #429 of 434 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Yes, please keep us posted. It's important that the forum hears about the experiences of others in regards to the purchasing experience from start to delivery with these "grey market" resellers. I had a good experience in the end. It was a little crazy at the start understanding their sales practices but the savings was worth it and you get the same product and the same warranty as if you were buying at Best Buy.
Sorry for the delay, been busy these past couple days. The good news is that the TV arrived in perfect condition- even the box it arrived in was in pristine shape- and the delivery guy set it up on the on stand, plugged it in, and checked for dead pixels. The screen was fine, so we tipped him and sent him on his way. I love the set, and the flashlighting and blanking issues that others have complained about either haven't manifested themselves or I haven't noticed them.

Can't argue with the price, and we're all happy with the new TV. So other than my waiting a couple extra days for friends to come over to help me wall mount this, I'm happy with the way things have turned out.
HLdan likes this.
post #430 of 434 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty1020 View Post
I think everyone knows you don't need it but it's just one of those things you know you have to pay in addition to complete the transaction. Let them call it whatever they want, they could say hey we have to charge you x amount for the heck of it. Here's your new total, still a good deal when you compare it to the big box stores so we pay it.

Ultimately I just wish east coast would get rid of their up sale policy. Just say here's our out the door price and make it a couple hundred more than what's listed on the site. Still the best deal out there and eliminates the headache.

This was basically my strategy, I looked that the bottom line, and compared it to the $4,300 at Best Buy down the street. I saved $1000 + 2 HDMI cables! It was also shipped AM "Express" and I wasn't charged for the express. I did something right because the TV was shipped out within 2 hours of the order. Steve said I would have it next Friday. Question does the the TV need calibration? I have no idea how to do it....
post #431 of 434 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmacdougall View Post
This was basically my strategy, I looked that the bottom line, and compared it to the $4,300 at Best Buy down the street. I saved $1000 + 2 HDMI cables! It was also shipped AM "Express" and I wasn't charged for the express. I did something right because the TV was shipped out within 2 hours of the order. Steve said I would have it next Friday. Question does the the TV need calibration? I have no idea how to do it....

I would try a few different settings that people have posted in the owners thread. Yes, calibration would dial it in even more but definitely needs a few tweaks from the out of box setting.

post #432 of 434 Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I'll keep you posted.
As Randy stated, the White Glove service is basically a scam.. They only have it delivered one way.. They always have to unbox it for you and have you inspect it, no matter what, or else you just refuse to sign off on it.. I ordered a Tv from there a while back, and they tried to pitch that to me as well, I told them "I'm in no rush for the tv, and I declined. The Tv came in 5 days, and they unboxed it and plugged it in for me without even me asking them to. They usually try to upsell you on the WG shipping, then an extended warranty, (which they usually overprice),. then if you decline all of that, they hit you with a mandatory "shipping insurance fee" of anywhere from 4-8%, (which is also a scam) You can always tell who these companies are that use these kind of tactics, just look at their store hours and they will always close early on Fridays..

Panasonic GT50 50"
Panasonic GT50 55"
Pansaonic VT60 60"
Samsung F8500 60"
(and a few crappy lcd sets). lol
post #433 of 434 Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a guy that I have gotten to know through Conn's offer me his 64" Samsung Plasma PN64F8500 for $1,500 which I went to go check out last night. Everything is intact, has all the accessories and it has 5,000 hours on the TV. Should I pull the trigger on the deal or just buy a new one? On East Coast they go for about $2300 and on Best Buy for $3100. Considering the expected panel life of this plasma tv (about 80,000 hours)…. It's really tempting… as it's only about 8% "used"…
post #434 of 434 Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post
As Randy stated, the White Glove service is basically a scam.. They only have it delivered one way.. They always have to unbox it for you and have you inspect it, no matter what, or else you just refuse to sign off on it.. I ordered a Tv from there a while back, and they tried to pitch that to me as well, I told them "I'm in no rush for the tv, and I declined. The Tv came in 5 days, and they unboxed it and plugged it in for me without even me asking them to. They usually try to upsell you on the WG shipping, then an extended warranty, (which they usually overprice),. then if you decline all of that, they hit you with a mandatory "shipping insurance fee" of anywhere from 4-8%, (which is also a scam) You can always tell who these companies are that use these kind of tactics, just look at their store hours and they will always close early on Fridays..
All the up charges are questionable from my perspective except the shipping charge. Shipping a big box from NJ to OR would cost more than say just a state or two away. If it was my business I would increase the price to an acceptable margin and then eliminate the questionable up charges.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page