18Likes

post #481 of 509 Old 09-12-2014, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
I went to Best Buy Thursday night, and asked a sales associate if she knew when Best Buy would stop selling the F8500. I said she probably would not have this info. She replied that she could check; she went to the Best Buy private network, and told me in no uncertain terms that the set would be on sale until 3/15/15 at Best Buy. She said if an earlier date was accurate she would have heard from the Samsung representative.
That doesn't sound unreasonable if they stop manufacturing the set November 30.

I don't know exactly where the Samsung plasma plant is, but I assume it's in Asia and if so it takes a few months for the shipments to get here. BB has the final shipment arrival date.

Might be a zoo to grab one of those last few great plasmas new in the box before the tech dies. I'm glad I have mine; the thing seriously just keeps getting better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 509 Old 09-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
I went to Best Buy Thursday night, and asked a sales associate if she knew when Best Buy would stop selling the F8500. I said she probably would not have this info. She replied that she could check; she went to the Best Buy private network, and told me in no uncertain terms that the set would be on sale until 3/15/15 at Best Buy. She said if an earlier date was accurate she would have heard from the Samsung representative.
Sounds like either she did not know about Samsung's announcement to discontinue development of Plasma at the end of November or she didn't fully explain to you that they will continue selling the F8500 until BB's available stock has flatlined. All I say is if this is the TV you are after don't play the fool (don't take that personally) and wait to see how long you can hold out. Make it easy on yourself and get it while it's still somewhat easy to acquire.
post #483 of 509 Old 09-12-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Sounds like either she did not know about Samsung's announcement to discontinue development of Plasma at the end of November or she didn't fully explain to you that they will continue selling the F8500 until BB's available stock has flatlined. All I say is if this is the TV you are after don't play the fool (don't take that personally) and wait to see how long you can hold out. Make it easy on yourself and get it while it's still somewhat easy to acquire.

I agree, but I did tell her about Samsung's 11/14 announcement. She had not heard that announcement..
post #484 of 509 Old 09-13-2014, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If my recollection is correct, Panasonic ended production at the end of November; maybe a few were made in very early December.

By late January, the scramble was on, and the only Panasonic left at my local Magnolia was the floor model.
post #485 of 509 Old 09-13-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The pn64f8500 was delivered yesterday morning.

The AM person brought it into the entry hall, my requested location, took the box top off, scanned the entire screen for damage with an iPhone flashlight, plugged it in and turned on. Before I signed, I registered it on Samsung's website. Entire process took less than 15 minutes. The delivery person obviously delivered this model several times before yesterday; he suggested I keep the packing material. Received a phone call yesterday afternoon from AM to confirm it was delivered.

Considering appliances, flooring, furniture from North Carolina, etc., it's probably the smoothest home delivery I've ever seen.

Shipping carton condition was pristine with no dings, all Styrofoam blocks were perfect, monitor was wrapped in poly bag, all accessories, manuals were included. It was manufactured July 2014, MRT = 0, Firmware version = 1200.

It's still sitting on the blocks, running break-in slides. Zero dead pixels.

Wife's spontaneous comment 6:30 AM yesterday as she walked past it sitting on the styro with shrink wrap on bezel and unpowered: "It's beautiful." Priceless.

More later.

Last edited by bmcn; 09-13-2014 at 10:18 AM.
post #486 of 509 Old 09-13-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post

The AM person brought it into the entry hall, my requested location, took the box top off, scanned the entire screen for damage with an iPhone flashlight, plugged it in and turned on. Before I signed, I registered it on Samsung's website. Entire process took less than 15 minutes. The delivery person obviously delivered this model several times before yesterday; he suggested I keep the packing material. Received a phone call yesterday afternoon from AM to confirm it was delivered.

Considering appliances, flooring, furniture from North Carolina, etc., it's probably the smoothest home delivery I've ever seen.

Shipping carton condition was pristine with no dings, all Styrofoam blocks were perfect, monitor was wrapped in poly bag, all accessories, manuals were included. It was manufactured July 2014, MRT = 0, Firmware version = 1200.

Wife's spontaneous comment 6:30 AM yesterday as she walked past it sitting on the styro with shrink wrap on bezel and unpowered: "It's beautiful." Priceless.

More later.
Niceeee... post some photos of the TV when you get a chance. At my local Best Buy they have a floor model PN64F8500 and the Store Manager wants $1899.00 I checked the hours on it and it has 5800 hours. Might consider buying it down and maybe push to get a better deal if he gets on desperation mode as it has been sitting there for the last month! I have to download some slides to take and test out the TV for any burn in images!
post #487 of 509 Old 09-17-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I received my UN65HU9000. It was ordered on 8/28 and it was delivered yesterday, Linden NJ > Kent, WA > Beaverton, OR. AM delivery trucked it from NJ to WA, than it appears to change hands to A1 delivery from WA to OR. East Coast TV's did a good job. The TV arrived as ordered in excellent condition. Its already registered at Samsung. The only complaint I have with white glove delivery is you have no idea when it will arrive until the day before delivery.
post #488 of 509 Old 09-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

More later.
Awesome! Congrats! You will grow to love this TV more each day. I've been very happy with mine. Glad your delivery went well. AM Trucking does a good job with delivery.
post #489 of 509 Old 09-18-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Awesome! Congrats! You will grow to love this TV more each day. I've been very happy with mine. Glad your delivery went well. AM Trucking does a good job with delivery.

The picture's gorgeous, but so bright it burns my eyeballs. I've adjusted picture settings, but still need to fine-tune it a bit; will love it more after that. Will post requested photo over weekend. Very pleased with transaction and product lives up to hype.
post #490 of 509 Old 09-19-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 446
^
So does the free advertising, nice of you to join just to share details about the fantastic services, prices and great picture of your Samsung. By the way take it out of vivid

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #491 of 509 Old 09-19-2014, 10:15 AM

Sorry b*m you're offended by my active participation after 5-6 years of lurking on various AVS forums.

My sole economic interest was to save money on a major appliance purchase and I believe I reached that goal. Don't know for certain what's your agenda, but I have a pretty good idea.

In 6 posts I never mentioned pricing and if you knew whereof you tc, you'd know the oob default picture mode of an F8500 is "Standard."

Thanks for the free advise and reminder to post requested photo over weekend.

Last edited by bmcn; 09-19-2014 at 12:02 PM.
post #492 of 509 Old 09-19-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After reading through this entire thread and the yelp reviews, I decided to try my luck with ECTV for the PN60F8500. Final price in the cart with no tax and free shipping was $1655.

My order was at 1:21 and I haven't received a call yet, nor had anything hit my CC. Up ultimately shooting for under $1750 and will try to be firm about not going above $1800.
post #493 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 653
I know ECTV has the best prices around and even after the upsell they are still hundreds less then anyone else. Makes it very tempting to order a TV from them especially with all the postitive stories going on in this thread.

The only issue I have with all these positive posts in here is that is seems they all come from people with very low post counts and non active members. Makes me start to question if all these stories are in fact true.

The price of the 64F8500 is fantastic from them and I might be selling my VT60 and trying out a Vizio P series or even a Samsung H5000 so I can pocket a lot of money from the sale if I have the Vizio. I know I won't be able to get another VT60 but knowing that an F8500 would be in my price range from ECTV if I cannot live with these other TV's is to good to know as a fall back option but just not sure how legit any of this is in here.

I would think a credit card purchase would cover you from any fraud sale or if the item received is not what is advertised. They do say it is a US model with a full US warranty on their site.

Anyone else know who has an F8500 for around $2,400 - $2,500? I know months back you could find them for these prices but seems like everyone is selling them for over 3 grand now. Not sure if CP still has them but I know he had good prices months back on them as well.
post #494 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
I know ECTV has the best prices around and even after the upsell they are still hundreds less then anyone else. Makes it very tempting to order a TV from them especially with all the postitive stories going on in this thread.

The only issue I have with all these positive posts in here is that is seems they all come from people with very low post counts and non active members. Makes me start to question if all these stories are in fact true.

The price of the 64F8500 is fantastic from them and I might be selling my VT60 and trying out a Vizio P series or even a Samsung H5000 so I can pocket a lot of money from the sale if I have the Vizio. I know I won't be able to get another VT60 but knowing that an F8500 would be in my price range from ECTV if I cannot live with these other TV's is to good to know as a fall back option but just not sure how legit any of this is in here.

I would think a credit card purchase would cover you from any fraud sale or if the item received is not what is advertised. They do say it is a US model with a full US warranty on their site.

Anyone else know who has an F8500 for around $2,400 - $2,500? I know months back you could find them for these prices but seems like everyone is selling them for over 3 grand now. Not sure if CP still has them but I know he had good prices months back on them as well.

Google knows.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #495 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Google knows.
Let me rephrase that. From a place most of us would consider legit.
post #496 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Let me rephrase that. From a place most of us would consider legit.
You do realize that you can make a list of your legit dealers and make them an offer via email or phone. Some Legit's I've used that have price matching policies include, OneCall and ABT and in fact used ABT Quote with OneCall to get a price match to avoid State Sales Tax being applied and it worked and saved me thousands on a high end panel.

Can't hurt to try and believe me those internet prices are BS - years ago I managed an appliance store while going through college on the GI Bill and I'd see the wholesale prices and then in more recent years before I retired a few of my IT Service Tech's were also after-hours geek squad employee's and they'd get me the BB employee pricing and when the Sharp Elite 70" was $8K employee pricing was in the $4K region - it's a few years back so I can't recall exact figure but I'm a Retired IT & Purchasing Manager and have no access to the pricing here in Florida.

These pricing variances have not changed and profit overhead via Samsung Universal Pricing is huge which explains precisely why the Internet Dealers can still sell so low and make quality profits at those prices plus Upselling the same as car dealers do. It's a shame consumers cannot see the cost factors. Anybody buy a car lately and meet the Finance Manager even when your paying cash and they hit you with this asinine upsell matrix chart? Simply F-ing ridiculous and now every major consumer product attempts the same garbage. I grew up in the auto dealer business with my Father managing dealers and worked in it growing up it is shocking to see how the upsell has grown and many consumer items are trying to replicate that crap. Rant over! NEGOTIATE and SCREW the UPSELLS unless in the end your still saving money after you throw the vendor a little gravy.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #497 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I registered and posted after 5-6 years of active lurking on various AVS forums because at one point between ordering and delivery I thought the transaction had gone bad. If it weren't for that concern, most likely I wouldn't have posted.

I used a credit card for the transaction with ECTV and, as you, think that's sufficient protection against fraud. My concern, proven unfounded, was of a potential irregularity in the transfer between ECTV and AM. After months of researching the PN64F8500, much of it on AVS, it would've been very aggravating if the item vanished between shipment and delivery.

When mine was delivered on 9/12, I was surprised there was another PN64F8500 next to it out for delivery in AM's fully loaded truck.

Photo taken while running break-in slides 2-3 hours after delivery. Let me know if someone wants a photo of the condition of the shipping carton.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung TV in Hall.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	271042  

Last edited by bmcn; 09-20-2014 at 10:05 AM.
post #498 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is a very good article from HD Guru using ECTVs as a main example.

http://hdguru.com/how-to-get-the-bes...-investigates/

I do wish they would have placed an order for the TV which would have really been a fully investigated article. On top of that, if they would have received the TV I would have also liked them to call Samsung for a warranty call to see what would happen.

I think having a warranty is a major part of this decision. I have seen people so it won't have a warranty and other people say in the US the company has to warranty the item. Not sure which is actually factual. I will say if you were able to add a Square Trade warranty through Costco or directly from them that would at least keep you covered and you would still be saving a ton of money as per buying from Best Buy or Amazon.

There is definitley a 2 sided view to purchasing from a place like this I can totally see both sides.
post #499 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I think having a warranty is a major part of this decision. I have seen people so it won't have a warranty and other people say in the US the company has to warranty the item. Not sure which is actually factual. I will say if you were able to add a Square Trade warranty through Costco or directly from them that would at least keep you covered and you would still be saving a ton of money as per buying from Best Buy or Amazon.
Before placing the order I read the Guru article and found it useful in the decision process.

I'm confident Samsung USA will service a legitimate warranty claim even if the item was purchased from a grey market seller.

My preference was to purchase a Square Trade warranty from Costco, but Costco requires purchasing the warranted item from an authorized dealer. Understandable because Costco doesn't want to encourage grey market sales of items similar to those it carries and the restriction enhances its relationship with its suppliers, such as Samsung.

Purchasing a warranty directly from Square Trade apparently doesn't have that same restriction. Will look at the issue again before the first 30 days elapse.

Last edited by bmcn; 09-20-2014 at 12:29 PM.
post #500 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

You can check out my posts in the 9000 thread. Couldn't have been happier with my ECTV purchase.
post #501 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Before placing the order I read the Guru article and found it useful in the decision process.

I'm confident Samsung USA will service a legitimate warranty claim even if the item was purchased from a grey market seller.

My preference was to purchase a Square Trade warranty from Costco, but Costco requires purchasing the warranted item from an authorized dealer. Understandable because Costco doesn't want to encourage grey market sales of items similar to those it carries and the restriction enhances its relationship with its suppliers, such as Samsung.

Purchasing a warranty directly from Square Trade apparently doesn't have that same restriction. Will look at the issue again before the first 30 days elapse.
I've mentioned this in a different thread already but if you pay for your TV using either your MasterCard, Visa, Discover or AMEX, you'll automatically receive an additional 12 months warranty on top of the manufacturer's warranty up to 36 months. So purchasing 24 months warranties on top of the 12 month that already comes with the TV will actually give you 48 months coverage when you factor in your credit card warranty covering your TV in its 4th year of ownership.

Keep in mind to read the fine print of your credit card warranty requirements. It'll tell you what is covered and what isn't, but basically whatever the manufacturer's original warranty covers, your credit card company will cover the same. Also the coverage is good on items worth $10,000 or less. So if you plan to pay more than $10,000 using your credit card on an OLED TV, then you wouldn't qualify for that additional 12 months warranty. Here's an example of what my Discover Card warranty does not cover:

Damage not covered by the original warranty; repairs at an unauthorized facility; normal wear and tear; power surge damage; shipping costs; damages resulting from contamination such as hazardous waste or mold.
post #502 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy91 View Post
I've mentioned this in a different thread already but if you pay for your TV using either your MasterCard, Visa, Discover or AMEX, you'll automatically receive an additional 12 months warranty on top of the manufacturer's warranty up to 36 months. So purchasing 24 months warranties on top of the 12 month that already comes with the TV will actually give you 48 months coverage when you factor in your credit card warranty covering your TV in its 4th year of ownership.

Keep in mind to read the fine print of your credit card warranty requirements. It'll tell you what is covered and what isn't, but basically whatever the manufacturer's original warranty covers, your credit card company will cover the same. Also the coverage is good on items worth $10,000 or less. So if you plan to pay more than $10,000 using your credit card on an OLED TV, then you wouldn't qualify for that additional 12 months warranty. Here's an example of what my Discover Card warranty does not cover:

Damage not covered by the original warranty; repairs at an unauthorized facility; normal wear and tear; power surge damage; shipping costs; damages resulting from contamination such as hazardous waste or mold.
Yes, I know my cards will cover an additional year but how does that effect it if Samsung won't cover the first year if bought from a non authorized dealer?

If the do warranty it and you get an additional year with your card, let's say you buy a 3 year extended from square trade if the even cover non authorized dealers. How do you know what years they would cover?
post #503 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know my cards will cover an additional year but how does that effect it if Samsung won't cover the first year if bought from a non authorized dealer?
Your best bet would be to call your credit card company before making said purchase. Better safe than sorry.

Additionally, this might interest you regarding grey market items. It's from B&H Photo & Video:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/USGrey.jsp

Quote:
If the do warranty it and you get an additional year with your card, let's say you buy a 3 year extended from square trade if the even cover non authorized dealers. How do you know what years they would cover?
The credit card warranty will always cover the final year. Including Square Trade, which is considered a 3rd party warranty.

Third-party warranties
If you decide to go for an extra warranty, what you're offered at the cash register is not your only choice. "I think a lot of people are under the impression that if I buy something at Best Buy, I have to buy a Best Buy warranty or nothing," says William Duckworth, a professor of business intelligence and analytics at Creighton University. Sure, you can buy the store's warranty, but you can also purchase an extended protection plan straight from your product's manufacturer (think AppleCare for Apple products) or from a growing selection of third-party companies that sell warranties directly to consumers, such as SquareTrade and Protect Your Bubble.

Source: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...nties-1273.php
post #504 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 04:09 PM

@eric3316

I should clarify my last post. I meant to say that your credit card's extended coverage begins the moment your manufacturer's or 3rd party warranty coverage expires.
post #505 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy91 View Post
Your best bet would be to call your credit card company before making said purchase. Better safe than sorry.

Additionally, this might interest you regarding grey market items. It's from B&H Photo & Video:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/USGrey.jsp

The credit card warranty will always cover the final year. Including Square Trade, which is considered a 3rd party warranty.

Third-party warranties
If you decide to go for an extra warranty, what you're offered at the cash register is not your only choice. "I think a lot of people are under the impression that if I buy something at Best Buy, I have to buy a Best Buy warranty or nothing," says William Duckworth, a professor of business intelligence and analytics at Creighton University. Sure, you can buy the store's warranty, but you can also purchase an extended protection plan straight from your product's manufacturer (think AppleCare for Apple products) or from a growing selection of third-party companies that sell warranties directly to consumers, such as SquareTrade and Protect Your Bubble.

Source: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...nties-1273.php
So from the BH link, it sounds like grey market items at not covered by the manufacturer.
post #506 of 509 Old 09-20-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
So from the BH link, it sounds like grey market items at not covered by the manufacturer.
I incorrectly used the term "grey market" in an earlier post, "unauthorized dealer" is more accurate.

ECTV sold me a US01 version of the F8500.

A European market TV imported to the US for NIB sale is different to the US specs of the same model and the manufacturer understandably wouldn't honor a US warranty claim for the item.

The provided link details this in the PAL Video Equipment section.

Last edited by bmcn; 09-20-2014 at 06:33 PM.
post #507 of 509 Old Today, 12:19 PM

I am a legitimate poster and provided a good review of ECTV's. I mounted my UN65HU9000 on a Sanus VLF525 wall mount. The hole is about 22" deep, not easy but it turned out great. Those are my two Boston center speakers under the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UN65HU9000.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	274985  
post #508 of 509 Old Today, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I imagine I'm in this category, as I fairly belong. I'm one of those people that likes to utilize the Yelps and TripAdvisors of the world while rarely writing a review of my own or contributing back to the community. You can see from my history that I have been here for a number of years and my previous posts all stem from troubleshooting an image tearing issue on a samsung LCD from 7 or 8 years ago (which I still have and am finally looking to replace ).

Update:
I have heard nothing from ECTV.

I have not received a call, my order status has not changed and there has not been a pending charge on my credit card. I've been too busy with work to reach out to them, but tomorrow or Wednesday morning I'll call them directly to ask for a shipping date.
post #509 of 509 Old Today, 02:32 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraj2 View Post
I imagine I'm in this category, as I fairly belong. I'm one of those people that likes to utilize the Yelps and TripAdvisors of the world while rarely writing a review of my own or contributing back to the community. You can see from my history that I have been here for a number of years and my previous posts all stem from troubleshooting an image tearing issue on a samsung LCD from 7 or 8 years ago (which I still have and am finally looking to replace ).

Update:
I have heard nothing from ECTV.

I have not received a call, my order status has not changed and there has not been a pending charge on my credit card. I've been too busy with work to reach out to them, but tomorrow or Wednesday morning I'll call them directly to ask for a shipping date.
Yelp screens reviews for paying company's. They screen out reviews that are damaging to the paying company's. I have first hand experience with them. The blocked my review and said it was because it didn't meet their guidelines. My review was truthful and 100% accurate. When trying to discuss with them they told me I am not "their" customer. They sent me very nasty emails and then blocked me from sending them any email correspondence. YELP is a NASTY company that that has no regard for consumers. They SUCK!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page