The East Coast TV's Experiment - Page 21 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #601 of 627 Old 11-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Update on my order. I'm now at about 600 above my original quoted price. (removed 2% "paycheck" coupon due to using credit card, tack on 4% credit card fee, and agreed to ~$239 fee to expedite shipping). Still tried to push me to upgrade to the "TS01 panel" for $700 additional on top of all that but then I would just buy it locally for that price so I refused. Says will ship tomorrow and my credit card will be charged at the time of shipment. Will keep updating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 627 Old 11-26-2014, 12:00 PM

It's over. After a week and a half of constant empty promises that it'll be shipped out, I got tired of calling and finding out why it didn't. Cancelled the order. Hope this helps someone else.
Gmash and eric3316 like this.
post #603 of 627 Old 11-26-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorz View Post
It's over. After a week and a half of constant empty promises that it'll be shipped out, I got tired of calling and finding out why it didn't. Cancelled the order. Hope this helps someone else.
Thanks for the play by play...
post #604 of 627 Old 11-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 111
No way I would have even put up with that much abuse...
post #605 of 627 Old 12-01-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
After the debacle, I had posted a review on Yelp and Resellerratings, as a prior member had suggested. MINUTES after the review had posted, I got a call from Tony. Tony honored the original price that was advertised and said he'd have the product shipped asap. That was on Wed last week and I received a fedex tracking # this morning that it was just picked up. I figure due to the holidays that was understandable but now I'm excited to get it. Apparently there is hope for this company and they do care about their reviews (again, as a member had previously posted) but it's just too bad they have to wait until it gets to the point of negative feedback for them to actually provide the product they suggested.

Crossing my fingers and will keep the thread updated.
post #606 of 627 Old 12-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
After the debacle, I had posted a review on Yelp and Resellerratings, as a prior member had suggested. MINUTES after the review had posted, I got a call from Tony. Tony honored the original price that was advertised and said he'd have the product shipped asap. That was on Wed last week and I received a fedex tracking # this morning that it was just picked up. I figure due to the holidays that was understandable but now I'm excited to get it. Apparently there is hope for this company and they do care about their reviews (again, as a member had previously posted) but it's just too bad they have to wait until it gets to the point of negative feedback for them to actually provide the product they suggested.

Crossing my fingers and will keep the thread updated.
Awesome! Glad that worked out for you as well!

btw- I wasn't ignoring your PM from some time back, I just can't send messages without more posts.
post #607 of 627 Old 12-01-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinginFriar View Post
Awesome! Glad that worked out for you as well!
Indeed! Thanks SwingingFriar for the grand advice, I probably would've missed out on a great deal without your advice.

In regards to delivery, it's supposed to be delivered by Fedex all the way to my front door? or does Fedex give it to some other company when it's in the area? Any suggestions you can provide on how to check the serial number and such in a pinch, would be appreciated because I know delivery guys are always in a hurry especially Fedex I don't know if they'll sit around and wait while I do so.
post #608 of 627 Old 12-01-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Indeed! Thanks SwingingFriar for the grand advice, I probably would've missed out on a great deal without your advice.

In regards to delivery, it's supposed to be delivered by Fedex all the way to my front door? or does Fedex give it to some other company when it's in the area? Any suggestions you can provide on how to check the serial number and such in a pinch, would be appreciated because I know delivery guys are always in a hurry especially Fedex I don't know if they'll sit around and wait while I do so.
For me, the fedex tracking number was only for the free wall mount they send with every TV. I even told Tony not to send it to me if it would save him some money, but it got sent anyways. The TV will almost certainly come from AM Home Delivery. I didn't get that tracking number till several days later. Either way, it's looking good if they sent you the wall mount already. As for the serial, AM Home will open the TV and power it on, so I compared the number on the box with the number on the TV just to be sure. Just make sure there are no defects or damage, because once they're gone, ectv will not take it back.
post #609 of 627 Old 12-01-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinginFriar View Post
For me, the fedex tracking number was only for the free wall mount they send with every TV. I even told Tony not to send it to me if it would save him some money, but it got sent anyways. The TV will almost certainly come from AM Home Delivery. I didn't get that tracking number till several days later. Either way, it's looking good if they sent you the wall mount already. As for the serial, AM Home will open the TV and power it on, so I compared the number on the box with the number on the TV just to be sure. Just make sure there are no defects or damage, because once they're gone, ectv will not take it back.
Ah, that's very good to know. Where is the serial located on the TV (we got the same one UN75HU8550)? Does AM Home delivery bring it in and unbox and power it on, even if I didn't pay for the white glove delivery?
post #610 of 627 Old 12-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Ah, that's very good to know. Where is the serial located on the TV (we got the same one UN75HU8550)? Does AM Home delivery bring it in and unbox and power it on, even if I didn't pay for the white glove delivery?
It's on the back of the TV with the rest of the labels and model info, you can't miss it. Yes, I'm pretty confident the whole white glove delivery thing is another upsell tactic by ectv. I think they bring them in and test for every delivery. They don't setup the TV, they just remove the top of the box and plug in the TV so that you can check for damage.
post #611 of 627 Old 12-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 179
This thread is for Plasma Deals for ECTV. Please take LCD/LED to the LCD forum.

East Coast TV LCD/LED Buying Experience Thread

Thanks,

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #612 of 627 Old 12-02-2014, 08:10 AM

Liked: 11
does anyone know if Frys will price match ectv?
post #613 of 627 Old 12-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Liked: 179
Extremely doubtful. Most anybody only price matches authorized dealers (Amazon, BB, etc.). You might get lucky and get a manager that will, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #614 of 627 Old 12-02-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've joined the experiment!!! I just ordered today (12/1/14) at around 10:45 am. I believe they tried to call me but I didn't recognize the number and didn't answer. They left no message though. Hope this doesn't slow things down.
post #615 of 627 Old 12-02-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack10525 View Post
I've joined the experiment!!! I just ordered today (12/1/14) at around 10:45 am. I believe they tried to call me but I didn't recognize the number and didn't answer. They left no message though. Hope this doesn't slow things down.
Well you better call them back to be on the safe side.

Who did you order from ?

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
post #616 of 627 Old 12-03-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post
Well you better call them back to be on the safe side.

Who did you order from ?
ectv
post #617 of 627 Old 12-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
This thread is for Plasma Deals for ECTV. Please take LCD/LED to the LCD forum.

East Coast TV LCD/LED Buying Experience Thread

Thanks,
is there any forum related to buying audio receiver?

Live till die
post #618 of 627 Old 12-22-2014, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hoping for the best that ECTV is improving

I placed my order on 12/20/2014 at 11:16PM ET. I am hoping for a good experience. After reading many reviews of East Coast TVs on AVS and other forums, it seems they are reputable. The real question will be if I receive a verified S-PVA panel. I also like they close on Friday night through Saturday. Looking forward to receiving shipping details soon. I will give an update after they give me more details.

UPDATE 12/22/14 - Contrary to all those negative reviews, I received an email today with the shipping details. No one ever called me. No one ever demanded that I call. So no up-sell, hard sell or any other selling calls -- no pressuring, just shipping my TV, free flat wall mount, free surge protector and 2 free HDMI cables. I paid with AMEX and they allowed all the discounts. My AMEX shows online the exact amount stated in the invoice when I paid. I am adding another star (one up from the first review to now 4 stars). The real question still remains unknown - will I receive a verified S-PVA panel? That will be the true test.
post #619 of 627 Old 01-03-2015, 06:16 PM

Took a stab and ordered one TV. No calls yet, may be down due to holidays, will see what next week brings. A phone call or shipping info.
post #620 of 627 Old 01-07-2015, 07:25 PM

Update:
Got an email from Eastcoasttv to call to confirm order on January 5th. Called them on 6th and after a little chat, I was told that TV is out of stock even though website still say it is in stock. However, price is gone up couple hundred dollars. They said they are canceling order for now and when it comes back in stock in couple of weeks, they will call.

Let's see what happens next.
post #621 of 627 Old 01-19-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeets123 View Post
Update:
Got an email from Eastcoasttv to call to confirm order on January 5th. Called them on 6th and after a little chat, I was told that TV is out of stock even though website still say it is in stock. However, price is gone up couple hundred dollars. They said they are canceling order for now and when it comes back in stock in couple of weeks, they will call.

Let's see what happens next.
I had a similar experience trying to order an 84ub9800 about a month earlier, though I was first asked if I wanted the 'US model' to which I replied "yes, I ordered one which is new and has a full US warranty, which means it has to be the US model" and I was then asked if I could wait since it is not in stock. When I said sure, I was told they were cancelling and I should reorder in the future, to which I challenged them since how should I know when I should reorder since they still at that moment had it listed as in-stock.

Wouldn't budge, ended the call, almost immediately got a call from Isaac (turns out he is the owner) and I told him "Look, I understand how this works, don't make up reasons, just find out when you can get me a set and tell me how much I need to pay for it" which began a 3 week polite snipe hunt of me calling, him promising to check with his suppliers and get back to me, then telling me he hadn't heard back from his supplier yet when I followed up because he didn't. To my utter shock, about 10 days ago he did call me back and told me he would have the "US Model with the LG panel on Thursday" that he would give me for a "good price" to which I said "You're currently advertising it for $5139 (original order was for $4659) and I'm ok with that price" to which he agreed. I called him on Thursday, we reconfirmed my details, and it was on the AM truck on Friday.

Following Tuesday AM calls to say they are delivering it Wednesday afternoon.
Wednesday afternoon I get a call from the driver apologizing that they're only 10 minutes away and not 30, and is it Ok if they come right over, or do I need them to give me a half hour. (I was home, so no problem)
They arrived, were very personable, did the open the box and plug it in routine, and I tipped them both and asked if they wouldn't mind helping me for a minute to get the stand attached, which they gladly did.

Set was a brand new US version, manufactured in Mexico in September, and seems to work perfectly.

tl;dr
Ordered, got the run around for a few weeks, finally got a brand new US model delivered to Florida at price which was ~$500 higher than the original purchase price, but still a very very good price for the set.

Was it a great experience? No, it was quite frustrating.
Would I do it again? Definitely, I still saved $4k+ on the set off LG dealers, and $1300 off a more reputable non-auth dealer.
IMHO this is not worth putting up with for a couple hundred bucks, but ultimately ECTV appears to be selling new US models.

EDIT: Sorry I just noticed I posted this in the Plasma thread, my apologies.

Last edited by ourback; 01-19-2015 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Oops, Plasma thread
post #622 of 627 Old 01-21-2015, 09:25 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Charging more for a "US Version" is a bait-and-switch scam perpetrated against uninformed consumers and is designed to lure you in with a low price, whereupon they now have you on the hook and can then con you into paying more for the TV. it's a scam because every single TV distributed and sold in the US is a US model, and there isn't a single US distributor or wholesaler has access to TVs that are built to be used in other countries. Period. I'm in the wholesale electrical/electronics business (handling sales, distributing, purchasing, shipping, receiving, claims, operations, inventory control, technical, etc) so i know how it all works.

Retailers like East Coast and Abes of Maine and several other similar companies use this tactic and it's very disreputable. If you decline the "US model" and tell them to go ahead and send you the TV that they're advertising and for the price they listed, the TV will suddenly be "out of stock" and they'll try to trick you into getting the "US model" that IS in stock, or cancel the order because any TV they send you will automatically be a US model - especially if the TV is advertised at a price that's so much lower than other retailers are charging that it looks too good to be true. ECTV has extremely low overhead - a tiny office space and no physical warehouse or shipping network so they can offer super cheap prices. Any TV you order from them will be drop shipped from a distributor of some sort and it never passes through their hands.

The other scam is to charge you extra for "shipping insurance" and some will even tell you that it's required if you want to have the TV shipped to your house. This is also a scam because every single freight forwarder and delivery company doing business in the USA are required to either be bonded or have an insurance policy to handle damage claims, and have a claims department to handle it. There is no need to pay for extra insurance because any trucking company delivering a TV to your home is already insured in some way.

Don't fall for either of these scams, they only exist to trick you into paying more money.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #623 of 627 Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Charging more for a "US Version" is a bait-and-switch scam perpetrated against uninformed consumers and is designed to lure you in with a low price, whereupon they now have you on the hook and can then con you into paying more for the TV.

If you decline the "US model" and tell them to go ahead and send you the TV that they're advertising and for the price they listed, the TV will suddenly be "out of stock" and they'll try to trick you into getting the "US model" that IS in stock, or cancel the order

The other scam is to charge you extra for "shipping insurance" and some will even tell you that it's required if you want to have the TV shipped to your house.

Don't fall for either of these scams, they only exist to trick you into paying more money.
I've heard this happens.

Not my experience with ectv.

Not my experience with ectv.

As always, caveat emptor.

Last edited by bmcn; 01-21-2015 at 10:11 AM.
post #624 of 627 Old 01-21-2015, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I bought my 70" Sharp from ECTV several years ago and the experience was pretty painless. Yes they did call me up to confirm the order and tried to sell me extended warranties and white glove delivery. I refused everything and pretty quickly we had settled. The only difference in the price was the website had a 2% cash discount yet it took my credit card. ECTV said I had to pay by check & wait for it to clear to get the 2% so I lost that extra discount. The TV was delivered promptly (~4 days, I don't remember exactly) and the 2 guys on the truck brought it in, unboxed it, set it on the stand and hooked it up to verify everything worked. I got everything claimed for the White Glove delivery for the standard shipping fee ($35 if I recall). It's been working fine ever since. I would have no hesitation buying from them again.
post #625 of 627 Old 01-23-2015, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Charging more for a "US Version" is a bait-and-switch scam perpetrated against uninformed consumers and is designed to lure you in with a low price, whereupon they now have you on the hook and can then con you into paying more for the TV. it's a scam because every single TV distributed and sold in the US is a US model, and there isn't a single US distributor or wholesaler has access to TVs that are built to be used in other countries. Period. I'm in the wholesale electrical/electronics business (handling sales, distributing, purchasing, shipping, receiving, claims, operations, inventory control, technical, etc) so i know how it all works.

Retailers like East Coast and Abes of Maine and several other similar companies use this tactic and it's very disreputable. If you decline the "US model" and tell them to go ahead and send you the TV that they're advertising and for the price they listed, the TV will suddenly be "out of stock" and they'll try to trick you into getting the "US model" that IS in stock, or cancel the order because any TV they send you will automatically be a US model - especially if the TV is advertised at a price that's so much lower than other retailers are charging that it looks too good to be true. ECTV has extremely low overhead - a tiny office space and no physical warehouse or shipping network so they can offer super cheap prices. Any TV you order from them will be drop shipped from a distributor of some sort and it never passes through their hands.

The other scam is to charge you extra for "shipping insurance" and some will even tell you that it's required if you want to have the TV shipped to your house. This is also a scam because every single freight forwarder and delivery company doing business in the USA are required to either be bonded or have an insurance policy to handle damage claims, and have a claims department to handle it. There is no need to pay for extra insurance because any trucking company delivering a TV to your home is already insured in some way.

Randy, have you bought from any of these vendors personally?
post #626 of 627 Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr250 View Post
Randy, have you bought from any of these vendors personally?
Not Randy, obviously, but it seems to me that often the 5-6 non-authorized dealers on the Internet price high-end sets below what they can sell the sets for to get your order, then do whatever it takes to get the price high enough to complete the transaction. If that is the case with the set you're buying, then you'll get games.

I wouldn't order from this place thinking you'll get a set for the advertised price. Maybe that happens, didn't for me.

My big fear was getting a used/damaged/wrong TV. In my case I paid more (but still a great price) and got a new US model TV.

My advice is that if you decide to order from ECTV you should figure out what you are willing to pay, and if after your email to call and confirm you can't have it for that price, don't go through with the order.

Last edited by ourback; Yesterday at 12:42 PM.
post #627 of 627 Old Today, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

Very informative post. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page