The East Coast TV's Experiment - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 43Likes
Closed Thread

post #721 of 735 Old 03-03-2015, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Good Question!
All their prices on the website are for what they call the "AU" (import) panels. If you want "Genuine US" ('Murica!) panels, you have to pay the uptick. I knew about the bait and switch going in, but overall, when you're saving $1600+, then I'm not going to pitch a fit about it, yunno?

Cleveland Plasma was still about $300 more than these guys, which again, was enough for me to deal with the BS at East Coast. never heard of Value electronics.

Thus far, Tony has been ok. The first salesguy was a complete douchebag and handed me off to Tony when I started to ask too many questions.. They tried to upsell me on the insurance but after a couple of firm no's, Tony backed off.

It's al on my Amex, so things go sideways (product never shows up or is damaged en route), I'm protected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 735 Old 03-03-2015, 10:22 AM

LOL Aster!
My expectations are pretty low, so anything above that has me pleasantly surprised. If I get this TV before the end of the week (6 business days total), I'll be stunned.
post #723 of 735 Old 03-03-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I wondered about using this lot for a Sharp 90 I'm looking at. Then I read the Yelp and BBB feedback. Then I decided not to...

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and a Sony BDPS6200. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #724 of 735 Old 03-03-2015, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I used ECTV for my SHARP 90" TV a couple of years ago.

They charged me insurance which ended up being about $150 more than originally quoted.

The TV showed up pretty close to the timeframe promised.

Before buying, I made it clear (and in writing) that if I didn't get a tracking number by a certain date, I would cancel the order.

Overall, it was a little scary, but I saved a bunch. And, after two years, I still love the TV. I'm sure I would love the current 90" even more....

Best of luck. Size does matter in my mind.
khackshaw, Djoel and bmcn like this.
post #725 of 735 Old 03-04-2015, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by khackshaw View Post
Good Question!
All their prices on the website are for what they call the "AU" (import) panels. If you want "Genuine US" ('Murica!) panels, you have to pay the uptick. I knew about the bait and switch going in, but overall, when you're saving $1600+, then I'm not going to pitch a fit about it, yunno?
I saw them advertising a different 75" samsung with an "AU" panel and it has me confused.

When talking about Samsung TV panels, the AU typically refers to "AU Optronics", a panel manufacturer that Samsung often uses - see "Samsung panel lottery". I was under the impression that Samsung uses Samsung panelsonly for their 75" and flagship TVs (e.g. the 75" HU8550). So, it seems like they are using scare tactics that don't apply to this model to get you to pay more than the advertised price. Am I way off here?
post #726 of 735 Old 03-04-2015, 04:51 AM

I wouldn't disagree with you. They pull you in with the super-low price then tell you that the Ts01 panel is only available on the more expensive TV's. Arguing with them is futile and trying to get them to sell you the AU panel at their advertised price will never happen (out of stock, plane carrying your TV crashed into the ocean, warehouse burned down, etc).

At the end of the day, you'll (hopefully) get a US-spec TS01 panel TV at a price far below the retail price. I'm still in the midst of the process, so I can only speak about my experience up to this point, which to be fair, based on some of the horror stories I've read about on this site and others could be far worse.
post #727 of 735 Old 03-04-2015, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I wouldn't disagree with you. They pull you in with the super-low price then tell you that the Ts01 panel is only available on the more expensive TV's. Arguing with them is futile and trying to get them to sell you the AU panel at their advertised price will never happen (out of stock, plane carrying your TV crashed into the ocean, warehouse burned down, etc).

At the end of the day, you'll (hopefully) get a US-spec TS01 panel TV at a price far below the retail price. I'm still in the midst of the process, so I can only speak about my experience up to this point, which to be fair, based on some of the horror stories I've read about on this site and others could be far worse.
Ah, the old "the TV we shipped to you fell off the truck". If I had a nickel . . .

Obviously we're speculating here, but that makes sense. They advertise something that they have no intent to ship you, because it does not exist.

Good luck! There are several stories on here of people who had success getting a great deal on a TV from these outlets, I hope it all works out for you!
khackshaw likes this.
post #728 of 735 Old 03-04-2015, 07:30 AM

Day 4 (counting business days only. Order placed feb 27)
Ok, So called ECTV this morning as the website is still showing that it's "Awaiting a tracking number" and was told that:
"...the TV has been shipped from the warehouse to the hub."

I was also told that I will have it next week as it takes 2 business days to ship to Hub and 5 business days to get to me via ground shipping.
Once Shipping company has it, I was told the shipping company will call to arrange a day and time for delivery. Per the gent I talked to, the tracking # is unavailable until the shipping company has it...

Thus far this is keeping in line with their 7-10 business day delivery schedule.

Last edited by khackshaw; 03-04-2015 at 07:34 AM.
post #729 of 735 Old 03-04-2015, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I checked several other online stores (nice electronics/big box superstore) also advertise 75HU8550 for $2849, but claim it's a south america model , so in the end how much you get 75HU8550 US model for? $3095?

Quote:
Good Question!

Cleveland Plasma was still about $300 more than these guys, which again, was enough for me to deal with the BS at East Coast. never heard of Value electronics.

Thus far, Tony has been ok. The first salesguy was a complete douchebag and handed me off to Tony when I started to ask too many questions.. They tried to upsell me on the insurance but after a couple of firm no's, Tony backed off.

It's al on my Amex, so things go sideways (product never shows up or is damaged en route), I'm protected.
post #730 of 735 Old 03-04-2015, 09:58 AM

Typically, you'll get the 75HU8550 out the door in the range of $4200-$4500 which is a pretty substantial savings compared to the retail cost of $5500 (plus tax). You're not going to find it anywhere near their "Advertised" price though.
post #731 of 735 Old 03-05-2015, 04:56 AM

Day 5 (counting business days only. Order placed Feb 27)
Checked the East Coast site this morning and it says "shipped". No tracking number or shipping info though. Unless "OTHER" is a new company....hmmmmm. LOL.

From the website:
A package was shipped on 03/03/2015 via OTHER :
Track your package with tracking # EC******

Guess I'll wait for the call from the shipping company with a delivery date and time.

Could it be that I get this TV in 7-10 biz days? Stay tuned folks, the end of our saga nears!
post #732 of 735 Old 03-05-2015, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 384
We can also view Consumer Feedback on them and others here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/East_Coast_TV_s

It's not unusual for them and others like Abe's of Maine to pad the deal and upsell as they bait consumers in. It's damn tempting when the UPP price is thousands higher and don't ever believe anyone is selling gray market curved 78" Samsung's as there is no way to replicate that massive TV for gray market sale, simply not technically possible to do so yet people fall for it over and over.

It'll be interesting to see your venture play out.
khackshaw and bmcn like this.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's
post #733 of 735 Old 03-05-2015, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I got my Pio KRP-600m from these guys, dirt cheap too when Pioneer decided to exist the flat panel arena.

Everything went well, in fact they hanged around long enough for me to check the panel with a flash light, the guy on the phone when I ordered it said if I didn't want just tell the guys to pack it up! That made me feel at ease.

Good luck

Djoel
bmcn likes this.

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears SSP: XMC-1 Amplification: XPA-5 G2 Display: Samsung PN64D7000 Source: Oppo 103, HTPC 16TB Jriver 19, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 2 Power:Panamax M5300-PM
post #734 of 735 Old 03-05-2015, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
One note- I've had success using my mastercard's low price guarantee referencing one of these low cost guys unrealistic price. Was pretty quick and painless- bought a tv from cleveland plasma for a great deal, then got another 250 or so off that price refunded by mastercard when I gave them east coast tvs/whoevers low price (the max that mastercard would do).
khackshaw likes this.
post #735 of 735 Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
We can also view Consumer Feedback on them and others here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/East_Coast_TV_s
They were caught posting fake reviews on resellerratings.com and they were removed, but they figured out how to get around the rules and resumed with the fake and overly glowing reviews which is how they have such a high rating there. They also told their customers to post a good review there. Resellerratings used to be good, but it is no longer a good source for ratings as it has become easy to post fake reviews, and has become almost impossible to spot the fake reviews with their new format.

There was a huge thread on another forum where scores and scores of "customers" (which were known as "one-post wonders") would create an account then post a long detailed glowing accounting of their excellent transaction and awesome customer service, yet they never participated in threads about the TV itself and it was pretty obvious what was going on. 90% of these new users only had one post (the review). It was like a soap opera.

When i look at company reviews, i tend to look at the negative reviews as these are a much better indicator on how a company really does business. In my mind, aside from a few transactions that go bad, there should not be any negative reviews and no angry customers, but ECTV gets a huge amount of negative reviews and complaints, and they all are similar in nature. It's almost comical

There's no doubt that plenty of customers get their TVs at a price they're happy with and lots of good reviews are from actual customers, but read the negative reviews and see what these poor folks have gone through. It's so suspicous when so many people have the most awesome excellent experience, while such a huge percentage of customs have a horrible experience.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/shopping/east-coast-tvs.html

http://www.yelp.com/biz/east-coast-t...=east+coast+tv

__________________________________________________ ________________
nowknown likes this.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 03-05-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page