Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 165
The pricing is ridiculous on some of these internet resellers, no one comes close and claim it's because these places are shady, work you over and won't ship your TV if you don't buy the extras they upsell.

In this experiment I'm going to document the process of ordering a Samsung PN64F8500.

Best Buy wouldn't touch East Coast or Abe's. "We don't pricematch them. We have a list." They didn't seem interested in my business. So $3399.98. On sale! After tax I'm looking at ~$3600 delivered.

Amazon won't pricematch anyone not on their list, and they all happen to have the same price. So $3,397.99 delivered.

East Coast's price this weekend is $2615. I figure after the "insurance" fine print they throw at you or upgraded express white glove I'm looking to end up around $2700 delivered. These were the only concessions I would agree to, nothing else- to see if it is indeed possible to just buy the TV itself for this price.

I submitted the order at 10:23am on 6/14 and my phone rang the same minute.

As expected delivery upgrade is pushed, I decline and get him to drop it to $99 (with free "$65" HDMI cable woo...tongue.gif). Ask for a total, It's now at $2738 delivered. I ask where the other $39 came from and he said 1% insurance has to be added on top. I should have pushed back here but didn't since I was expecting it (apologies, my fault). Doing the math it's actually 1.5% added. When I get an email confirmation showing the number and any breakdown I'll call and see what they say about it. rolleyes.gif

Wall mount offered. Nope, already have a stand- I'm good. Surprisingly he didn't push back at all and moved right along.

He offered extended warranty, $199 for 3 years. I declined. "Hey look, I'm a manager so I can offer you the 3-year warranty for $149". Decline. "$139..." Decline. He gave up reluctantly. Now, he did claim it was a Mack warranty when I asked, and for that price I may have done OK going with that. But it doesn't say much of anything on the website, and I'm not going to buy a warranty with a word of mouth claim. Besides, for the sake of the experiment, I must decline and see what happens.

And that was it, he gave me the total again, have a nice day yadda yadda, the end. Hard upsells yes, but quick and painless. Here is a screenshot of the call log. 4 minutes.

But, as you know, that's the easy part. Let's see what happens from here. The claim was 2-3 days to ship, delivery takes a week. I'll keep you posted. cool.gif

Edit: Adding screenshot of order status:

eric3316 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great thread- I was wondering the same thing.
Have you happened to call Samsung to see if they will honor the warranty? Did you confirm it comes with a Samsung USA warranty?
post #3 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you read Samsung's info on authorized dealers, all it says is that you won't be covered if your serial number is altered or missing, or if the product is refurbished:
Quote:
When you purchase from an unauthorized dealer you run the risk of buying a product that may have been altered or missing serial numbers which make it ineligible for Samsung's warranty. Additionally, unauthorized dealers may even sell you used/refurbished products as new leaving you with a product well into, past, or void of any applicable warranty.

This is reinforced by Chris:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Making the big list, what a challenge. The list is not kept up to date unless the company is HUGE. Manufacturers do not include there mom and pop dealers unless the company has been in business for a very long period of time. Like 20 years plus. There are so many of us that are small and not grandfathered in it would be hard to keep track. There are hundreds of small custom installers who buy thru distribution that are not on the list as well, and yes hundreds. There are hundreds of small custom installers who buy thru distribution that are not on the list as well.

To go a little bit further here......... Authorized / unauthorized dealers have been talked about on here forever. In the end it always comes down to, point to a post where someone did not get warranty coverage when they had a receipt, a receipt with a company logo / name of a company that could be looked up as legitimate business in a particular state who actually sell products. Must also have a date and rolling invoice number. According the the www.ftc.gov that is all that is needed. They are the ones who approve every warranty in the US.

I don't see it as an issue at all. First thing I will do (after inspecting of course) is register the serial number with Samsung.
sheshechic likes this.
post #4 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Good price. My reservations lie here..

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Returns.asp
Quote:
If you find your products to be damaged or defective in any way, the delivery may be refused and replacement merchandise will be shipped to you right away. If the item is delivered and it is not defective or damaged, you will be required to sign the delivery manifest which states the items were delivered in good and working condition. If you have a problem after the items are delivered and the delivery manifest has already been signed we cannot accept a return on the item.

The way this reads to me is if you accept the TV from shipper and then find some problem with the TV you're stuck with it. Or working with Samsung to get it fixed. It's not reasonable to rush testing the TV while the delivery guy waits IMO. I can see the look on the delivery guys face as someone is frantically running slides on the TV looking for defects.

I love the price, but for me I'll be passing due to return policy. Past purchasing experience has shown me defects do happen. And sometimes you don't notice them right away...

-SiGGy
post #5 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, that is a legitimate point. Though in the same situation with Amazon or even Best Buy I would still have to have a replacement ordered and wait for it if it came to that. No one has these on hand that I know of but Magnolia, and I don't have one local.

So in that case, dealing with Samsung vs someone else shouldn't be terribly different. It also seems more likely that you'd be able to convince a Samsung tech that there is a significant issue vs whoever Best Buy sent out to look at it. And though I'm sure you could demand a replacement from BB, like I said it would still have to be ordered and play the waiting game.

Also, no one is forcing you to sign the delivery receipt. You do that when you're good and ready. But for sure, I will let you know how that end of the process goes.
post #6 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

Yes, that is a legitimate point. Though in the same situation with Amazon or even Best Buy I would still have to have a replacement ordered and wait for it if it came to that. No one has these on hand that I know of but Magnolia, and I don't have one local.

So in that case, dealing with Samsung vs someone else shouldn't be terribly different. It also seems more likely that you'd be able to convince a Samsung tech that there is a significant issue vs whoever Best Buy sent out to look at it. And though I'm sure you could demand a replacement from BB, like I said it would still have to be ordered and play the waiting game.

Also, no one is forcing you to sign the delivery receipt. You do that when you're good and ready. But for sure, I will let you know how that end of the process goes.

Ya, good luck. I'll wait out Amazon/Another vendor myself. 30 days to return worry free is worth the wait IMO. But ya, that price is awesome. If I was local in NJ I'd be all over it, or if I wasn't picky about flaws in the TV I'd order it right now.
sheshechic likes this.

-SiGGy
post #7 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Order Status has changed from "Processing" to "Ready to Ship"; whatever that entails.
post #8 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
One more thing to consider is the free 29" LED TV (or the sound bar w/wireless sub or audio dock system) that is only available through authorized dealers. I think dealers can extend an additional discount for not taking the free gift. Looks like the free gift promotion ends tomorrow, wonder if they will extend it or have a new promotion?

I also like the ability to get support if you have trouble in or out of warranty and I would think a factory authorized dealer would have the ability to get better factory support.
post #9 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I never had a problem getting my BB to pricematch EastCoastTVs. They did it on my 60" F8500 and my 60" ST60, no questions asked, and each time it was a different person. There's no way I could have originally afforded the F8500 had they not pricematched them. Maybe try again?

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
post #10 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

I never had a problem getting my BB to pricematch EastCoastTVs. They did it on my 60" F8500 and my 60" ST60, no questions asked, and each time it was a different person. There's no way I could have originally afforded the F8500 had they not pricematched them. Maybe try again?
I'm going to try this on my way home... I'll post if I have some luck with BB.

-SiGGy
post #11 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Talked to multiple people. This particular store's policy. They just aren't interested in selling TVs. Neither was Amazon.
Quote:
If you find a lower price on a qualifying product at a local retail competitor's store or a designated major online retailer, we will match the price. At the time of purchase, we will match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from a local retail competitor's store and these designated major online retailers: Amazon.com, Apple.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Buy.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, Frys.com, hhgregg.com, HP.com, HomeDepot.com, Lowes.com, Newegg.com, OfficeDepot.com, OfficeMax.com, Sears.com, Staples.com, Target.com, TigerDirect.com and Walmart.com. We will match prices between our stores and BestBuy.com®. We will also match prices post purchase if we lower our price within 15 days of your purchase.

Oh, and they just dropped to $2599.
post #12 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Talked to multiple people. This particular store's policy. They just aren't interested in selling TVs. Neither was Amazon.
Oh, and they just dropped to $2599.

That's supposed to be the nation-wide policy, but I guess it's up to the discretion of each store. I'm about as far away from New Jersey as possible, and they didn't hesitate. Before I went to the actual store I tried to pricematch by calling BB's 1-800 number, and I was rejected both times because EastcoastTVs wasn't on that "list". Anyways, I returned my F8500 because the buzzing was out of control, and no real issues with my ST60 (although I've just been running slides) except the vertical strip on the right side of the screen, which is seems most people have. Although since I purchased the ST60, EastcoastTVs price of the VT60 60", after the 2% off PAYCHECK code, is now under $2000. Temptations, temptations. But it would be pretty ridiculous of me to return the ST60 without a valid reason...

Oh and, my store doesn't even carry the F8500 in stock, they pricematched it and special ordered it from a nearby warehouse wink.gif
sheshechic likes this.

Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
post #13 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No Best Buy's stock 8500s, VTs or ZTs I believe. All Magnolia exclusives right now.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
post #14 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 12:36 PM

Aren't the Magnolias part of BB though? Neither store here has a Magnolia anymore... one used to but they changed it to a Musical Instrument center thingymajig.

post #15 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

That's supposed to be the nation-wide policy, but I guess it's up to the discretion of each store.

Not much discretion over here I guess. frown.gif

There are 5 sites on Google Shopping that list under $2700. Maybe if you were to print out all 5 and say take your pick to price match you could overwhelm them. Doubtful, but you never know.
post #16 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

BB told me to pound sand. And that they specifically we're told not to price match east coast. Manger here was an idiot. He said so many different conflicting things.

Kid working there was trying to convince me BB pays more for the TV than eat coast did. Lol

Oh well...
sheshechic likes this.

-SiGGy
post #17 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Love this thread. Wish I had the money just to test out different sellers....lol
sheshechic likes this.
post #18 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 03:16 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

BB told me to pound sand. And that they specifically we're told not to price match east coast. Manger here was an idiot. He said so many different conflicting things.

Kid working there was trying to convince me BB pays more for the TV than eat coast did. Lol

Oh well...

Try a different store .In my case, BB price matched EC without batting an eye.

TWD
post #19 of 486 Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 PM

Ordered a 65st60 from east coast. Kinda doubting if i should have now.

Got the typical call with the sales pitch. ened up getting the warranty for $130, which is fine because it would have cost me that much plus my time to figure out the square trade warranty from costco. IDK, I just hate the pushy east coast sales tactics. I piad extra for the white glove after he cut the price in half. But they are shady with that. they have the set price they can take and instead of offering that deal, they start as high as they can hoping you are a sucker and will say okay.

I unfortunately needed the white glove for two reason. 1) I will be alone when it gets delivered, and if I have a lazy driver who does threshold delivery then i have to mess with it .

But more importantly I want them to open it up and fully inspect it because of the return policy that was just posted up a few posts.

Fingers crossed on this transaction. In the end my delivered price with warranty was still $150 cheaper than Amazon without warranty, and Best buy and everyone local doesnt have the 65" set in stock for me to try to price match,
post #20 of 486 Old 06-15-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My BB said they will price match any authorized dealer of Panasonic. So it East Coast one of those or not?
post #21 of 486 Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

My BB said they will price match any authorized dealer of Panasonic. So it East Coast one of those or not?

http://www.panasonic.com/about/view-all-home-authorized-retailers.asp

Your best bet to get a price match with your BB is to get them to match Paul's TV with their coupon right now (assuming you want 65VT60):

post #22 of 486 Old 06-17-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Order status has just been updated to shipped, I was sent an email with this notification and I was given a tracking number.

Shipment is through AM Trucking (AM Home Delivery) it looks like.

1 business day, 5.5 hours from order to shipment confirmation/tracking number.

So we have one myth busted, that you won't get your TV shipped if you turn down all of the hard upselling that they make their margins with.

A second myth busted that you will be waiting 2-3 days for a tracking number where other more "reputable" dealers get it to you by the next day. Order Friday, receive tracking Monday is very reasonable for a freight shipment.

Oh, and I don't mind posting the tracking info, unless anyone knows of a reason why that would be a bad idea. I believe all the info you'd have access to is City, ZIP right?

I'll keep you posted.

Edit: After viewing tracking information, AM Trucking actually received billing information just 2hrs after my order on Friday. AM's ship date is listed as 6/14. My order status with ECTV was updated with the tracking number today.
post #23 of 486 Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 AM

Liked: 10
I just purchased 2 TV's from Abe's. They pushed a few things like wall mount and extended warranty, but didn't gave up once I said no. They gave me a choice of paying for insurance or upgrading shipping and since the price wasn't much different I upgraded shipping.

My 55VT60 arrived first with "white glove delivery" from AM Trucking. This was a joke. I open the door and they shove the paperwork in my face telling me to sign right then. I told them where to put the TV and just set the paperwork down. They pulled the top off the box and plugged the TV in said it was working and shoved the paperwork back at me. I signed just to get them to leave the house. I wasn't to happy after they threw packing material all over the room. No problems with the TV. Just to make sure I wasn't getting a returned set or anything I checked the hours about an hour after I got it and it stated 1 hour. Supposedly it shipped straight from Panasonic. It took about 10 days from order to arrival.

The Samsung 46ES8000 just yesterday. This was about a 3 week wait. When I inquired about this a week ago I was told they were having trouble getting supply. Since this is last years model I'm sure thats the case. It was definitely an interesting delivery. It arrived by Fed Ex. It was just thrown on my door and left there. The guy knocked real quick and by the time I got up from my chair and made it to the front door he had already sped away. No signature, nothing. Luckily I was home or it could have easily been stolen. Not like the box is very inconspicuous. Oh well.

In the end I am satisfied from my experience with Abe's. I got an exceptional deal by sacrificing quality. This was a choice that I made. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't hesitate.

For those that point to the no return policy and that once you sign for it you have no recourse, this is only partially true. I paid by AMEX. AMEX offers stellar buyer protection. If I had any problems all I would have had to do is call them (AMEX) and I would have gotten a full refund. Not only that but Abe's would have had to pay a charge back fee plus the initial purchase fee. AMEX also includes an extended warranty on anything purchased with their card. There is a reason a lot of retailers don't take AMEX. It costs them more to do so. These costs, however, result in better service to the customer.
post #24 of 486 Old 06-18-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

No Best Buy's stock 8500s, VTs or ZTs I believe. All Magnolia exclusives right now.

All three series are only carried by Magnolia. So only Best Buy stores with a Magnolia inside will have them. While some Magnolia stores do have inventory on-hand, most keep it at local warehouses. These local warehouses are usually very close to the stores and allow direct customer pickup.
nfraso likes this.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #25 of 486 Old 06-18-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For what it's worth I drove 1.5hrs to the nearest Magnolia over the weekend to see the F8500/VT and make sure I wanted to keep my order.

I spent an hour and a half in the store viewing both and not a single Magnolia employee approached me to try and sell a TV or really do anything outside of find the F8500's remote that I requested.

So my local BB and this Magnolia both have no interest in selling TVs.
post #26 of 486 Old 06-18-2013, 03:36 PM

Really interested in how this plays out...My 5-year old Panasonic plasma has been flashing me the red lights on occasion and sure it will die soon. From what I have read, it seems if you can get past the "Add-ons" you can get a really good bang for the buck. http://www.avsforum.com/forums/posts/add/threadId/1477270
post #27 of 486 Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tracking was updated today showing In Transit from New York as of yesterday (6/17).
post #28 of 486 Old 06-18-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelzydog View Post

Really interested in how this plays out...My 5-year old Panasonic plasma has been flashing me the red lights on occasion and sure it will die soon. From what I have read, it seems if you can get past the "Add-ons" you can get a really good bang for the buck. http://www.avsforum.com/forums/posts/add/threadId/1477270#

Some people value ~$300 for an extended 3-year warranty on top of the 1-year you get from Samsung as a fair deal. And I would probably agree. $300 for 3 years.

Now, is it worth at minimum ~$300 for a 30-day return period? $300+ for 30 days?

Heck no. And that's how I do the math. But, to each his own.
sheshechic likes this.
post #29 of 486 Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 AM

Curious as to where non-authorized resellers get their inventory. Are these TVs scratched/dented/refurbished, or?

I'm looking at the Samsung F7500 or F8000 and East Coast's price (as is Abe's of Maine and Alltime TV) is $350-$450 less than AUTHROZED resellers price. Don't know how they do it--surely the manufactures don't like it..

Makes me hesitant about buying from them but the price is very attractive.

Anxious to see how your experiment turns out.
post #30 of 486 Old 06-19-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelzydog View Post

Curious as to where non-authorized resellers get their inventory. Are these TVs scratched/dented/refurbished, or?

I'm looking at the Samsung F7500 or F8000 and East Coast's price (as is Abe's of Maine and Alltime TV) is $350-$450 less than AUTHROZED resellers price. Don't know how they do it--surely the manufactures don't like it..

Makes me hesitant about buying from them but the price is very attractive.

Anxious to see how your experiment turns out.
Sometimes they get it from distributors that have excess inventory or just don't care to follow the rules. Other times, they purchase in bulk from places like Best Buy from employees/managers that are breaking policy in order to sell to them. Sometimes they purchase refurbished or repaired product and resell it as new. Since they do not have a relationship with Samsung direct, they don't have to worry about violating any UMRP policies. That is also why they do not offer any of the bundled free items that you see at authorized dealers, since those are funded by the manufacturer. They have such a small amount of overhead, with no real customer service or sales staff, so they accept very small margin rates. Supporting these "dealers" will eventually lead to the demise of the industry. It can't support both models. You either want service, or you don't. If price is all that matters and you don't want showrooms, customer service, return policies or decent delivery/installation services then this is the way to go.
chunon and fatuglyguy like this.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List