Another East Coast TV experiment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After reading this thread and doing some homework, I decided to take some risk ordering at East Coast TV.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477270/the-east-coast-tvs-experiment

I went into this with the mindset that you have to buy something to make it worthwhile for those guys to ship your tv out in a timely manner. I went with the express white glove delivery (presumably their fastest). They promised a week's timeframe. If I don't get it then, I'll call to dispute that delivery. Even then, it still comes out about $500 cheaper than Amazon and the other retail chains.

To back my order up, I used my discovercard, who gives me the following benefits and a little more:
  1. price protection - I can call up to 90 days later and have them refund me the difference in price
  2. extended warranty - discovercard gives me an added 1yr of warranty on top of the manufacturer's
  3. fraud protection - up to $500 (not enough, but something)
  4. secure credit card number - I generated a temporary one-time use number from discovercard to use with them, so my info can't be stolen

In the end, I got the Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 for $2538.88, which comes with some deals. Here's the breakdown:
  • TV was $2399
  • minus $30 special discount (they offered it without me asking)
  • 6ft HDMI cable (they also offered this without me asking)
  • plus discounted express white glove shipping for $129 (one week timeframe, -+ 1 day is what they claimed)
  • plus a 1% insurance, but it actually was like 1.5%

The phone call wasn't nearly as pressured as others made it out to be, but I used to be a salesman at Circuit City, so I'm a little thick skinned already. I spent about 12 minutes total on the phone, questioning the product and their services before giving them my info to buy it. Wasn't bad at all so far, but let's see how this plays out.

My next plan is to record the delivery on video and have a list of things to check upon delivery so that I can refuse it if anything is wrong. I'll keep you guys updated.

Dates:

10/6/13 - order placed
10/8/13 - delivery status email sent to me
10/16/13 - tv delivered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 10-06-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoe99 View Post

After reading this thread and doing some homework, I decided to take some risk ordering at East Coast TV.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477270/the-east-coast-tvs-experiment

I went into this with the mindset that you have to buy something to make it worthwhile for those guys to ship your tv out in a timely manner. I went with the express white glove delivery (presumably their fastest). They promised a week's timeframe. If I don't get it then, I'll call to dispute that delivery. Even then, it still comes out about $500 cheaper than Amazon and the other retail chains.

To back my order up, I used my discovercard, who gives me the following benefits and a little more:
  1. price protection - I can call up to 90 days later and have them refund me the difference in price
  2. extended warranty - discovercard gives me an added 1yr of warranty on top of the manufacturer's
  3. fraud protection - up to $500 (not enough, but something)
  4. secure credit card number - I generated a temporary one-time use number from discovercard to use with them, so my info can't be stolen

In the end, I got the Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 for $2538.88, which comes with some deals. Here's the breakdown:
  • TV was $2399
  • minus $30 special discount (they offered it without me asking)
  • 6ft HDMI cable (they also offered this without me asking)
  • plus discounted express white glove shipping for $129 (one week timeframe, -+ 1 day is what they claimed)
  • plus a 1% insurance, but it actually was like 1.5%

The phone call wasn't nearly as pressured as others made it out to be, but I used to be a salesman at Circuit City, so I'm a little thick skinned already. I spent about 12 minutes total on the phone, questioning the product and their services before giving them my info to buy it. Wasn't bad at all so far, but let's see how this plays out.

My next plan is to record the delivery on video and have a list of things to check upon delivery so that I can refuse it if anything is wrong. I'll keep you guys updated.

My question would be if Discover will cover an item purchased from an unauthorized distributor. I believe the manufacturer's warranty goes out the window if purchased from unauthorized dealers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 Old 10-06-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

My question would be if Discover will cover an item purchased from an unauthorized distributor. I believe the manufacturer's warranty goes out the window if purchased from unauthorized dealers.

Good question. I hope I never have to find out.
post #4 of 41 Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 AM

A friend ordered a 64F8500 from an "unauthorized" online dealer, not ECTV. He paid a little extra for expedited shipping but still saved several hundreds of $ over what I paid. His set was delivered on schedule and he had no issue registering the set with Samsung. I would be very surprised if Discover would not honor their terms, they may have other loopholes but I'd bet perpetuating the myth of to having to purchase from an "authorized dealer" is not one of them.
post #5 of 41 Old 10-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 165
Yep, unauthorized vs authorized means nothing in regards to your warranty.

For what it's worth, if they don't make the 1 week delivery, call and complain. Push, and you should get some of that $129 refunded like I did.
sheshechic likes this.
post #6 of 41 Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

Yep, unauthorized vs authorized means nothing in regards to your warranty.

For what it's worth, if they don't make the 1 week delivery, call and complain. Push, and you should get some of that $129 refunded like I did.

Yes, that's exactly what I plan to do smile.gif What else am I paying extra for then?
post #7 of 41 Old 10-08-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

This morning I received a delivery status email, indicating the tv had been shipped by AM Home Delivery.
post #8 of 41 Old 10-12-2013, 06:06 AM

Liked: 13
When I was shopping for a TV, I check out East Coast to. I called Samsung directly and Samsung told me I would NOT have a warranty if TV not purchased from authorized dealer. I ended up buying from Paul's TV for a little more. Has anyone purchased from ECTV and then filed a warranty claim with Samsung?
post #9 of 41 Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcdav View Post

When I was shopping for a TV, I check out East Coast to. I called Samsung directly and Samsung told me I would NOT have a warranty if TV not purchased from authorized dealer. I ended up buying from Paul's TV for a little more. Has anyone purchased from ECTV and then filed a warranty claim with Samsung?

Yes, here is an example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by estiff View Post

Here's the only down side, and it's not East Coast TVs fault. I realize that to keep those prices low they need to only be deling with selling TVs, not returns and the like. That's why I don't have a problem with their return policy. If it gets broken during shipping, there's shipping insurance (which was included, no cost). If it's otherwise defective or broken, then you have the warranty. In my case, no damage in shipping and it generally works like it should. However, some of these Samsung plasmas buzz louder than normal (as reported elswhere). My only practical option is to work through warranty, whereas with Magnolia/BB I could have done exchanges until I found one that didn't buzz. The good news is, that process also allowed me to be completely satisfied that the East Coast TV I received was brand new and has a factory warranty - as confirmed by the technician that came out. The other good news is that I am ultimately getting a brand new plasma panel, under warranty, which theoretically has a better chance of no buzzing than the crap shoot of what you might get from an exchange.

Samsung has no motivation to not lie to your face when it comes to being covered purchasing from an unauthorized dealer, so that's why you got the answer you did.
post #10 of 41 Old 10-14-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

So tomorrow marks the "one week -+ 1 day" delivery date that I was promised by the sales manager at East Coast TVs. I have not received a call from the shippers to set up a delivery timeframe yet, so I'm assuming I will not have a tv tomorrow. My tolerance will be this Thursday before I call them and complain.
post #11 of 41 Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

Yes, here is an example:
Samsung has no motivation to not lie to your face when it comes to being covered purchasing from an unauthorized dealer, so that's why you got the answer you did.

Have you heard of similar stories with regards to Panasonic?
post #12 of 41 Old 10-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you heard of similar stories with regards to Panasonic?

Better than that, I've yet to come across a single story where warranty coverage was denied by any manufacturer for the sole reason that the purchase was made from an unauthorized dealer.
post #13 of 41 Old 10-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Moa

Liked: 10
Looks like now we are two trying an experiment.

http://www.highdefforum.com/high-definition-lounge/92023-anybody-deal-east-coast-tvs-145.html#post1333794

I live in NYC, ie very close to their base. Let' s see how it goes. I'll try to make a check list of what I want to quickly test upon delivery.
Hopefully we'll get our toys in due time
post #14 of 41 Old 10-15-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Moa, that's great to hear. I'll bookmark that page and perhaps post my experience there too.

Again today, I have not received a phone call from the shipping company, but I just checked my delivery status and it states I will be receiving this TV tomorrow morning!

Here are the items I will check tomorrow upon delivery. I'm hoping a tip will pursuade them to stay an extra 5-10min while I check:
  1. set GoPro up on continuous recording
  2. physical damage on the outside
  3. screen damage behind the glass (will scan with a handheld flourescent light)
  4. valid serial number (can someone tell me how many numbers I need to look for?)
  5. I have a computer setup to quickly plug into the tv via HDMI. I'll test a white image to look for dead pixels.
  6. test a blu-ray

Can anyone else think of anything I should look for? If all tests pass, then I'll sign for it.
post #15 of 41 Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

I received delivery of my tv set this morning! The guys came in a rented Enterprise truck and had the tv up and running before I could even blink. I kindly asked if they could stay an extra 5 minutes while I rifled through some visual checks and they agreed. One was pretty cool and chatted with me, the other seemed like he wanted to get out fast. I tipped them as a token of appreciation. Once I signed and they were out, I spent another 20 minutes going over a few tests. Everything passed so far within my 25minutes or so--brand new model, no dead pixels, burn-in, correct model number, no physical damage seen (except one slight scratch on the back of the panel), no screen damage, no fingerprints, no dust on the fan to indicate it's been used. Hopefully all continues to be perfect as I use it more.

One word though...F'ing Amazing Black Levels! I'm a computer graphics artist by career and I've got a professionally-calibrated computer IPS monitor that I duplicated over to the tv via HDMI. The tv, in stock form, matched or blew it away in color quality. The black levels weren't even in the same league biggrin.gif.
post #16 of 41 Old 10-18-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I mounted this up with a $25 wall mount on Amazon, using 6 Tapcon anchors. According to my calculations, it should hold ~8000lbs and I even did a couple pullups on it to test smile.gif The TV was perfectly leveled with my OCD measurements, as well.

Everything's great so far. I hear a slight buzzing noise only if I'm putting my ear up to it about a foot away. It doesn't bother me at all. In the end, I took a chance on East Coast TVs and it was a success for me.
sheshechic likes this.
post #17 of 41 Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

I mounted this up with a $25 wall mount on Amazon, using 6 Tapcon anchors. According to my calculations, it should hold ~8000lbs and I even did a couple pullups on it to test smile.gif The TV was perfectly leveled with my OCD measurements, as well.

Everything's great so far. I hear a slight buzzing noise only if I'm putting my ear up to it about a foot away. It doesn't bother me at all. In the end, I took a chance on East Coast TVs and it was a success for me.

Is that a concrete or masonry wall?

post #18 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Is that a concrete or masonry wall?

Isn't that the same thing? There are those concrete cinder blocks behind that drywall.
post #19 of 41 Old 10-23-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
CMU is more brittle than concrete so the screws have less holding power. If it is brick, it is out of the question as it is too brittle and the screws won't hold long-term. For brick I would use epoxy. For CMU you are probably okay..

post #20 of 41 Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Moa

Expecting mine tomorrow.
They were not doing anything about delivery until I complained. So far so good.
Did you try to register your product online? My main worry is to be served a refurbished or "open box" item that looks like new but isn't...
post #21 of 41 Old 10-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Moa

Got mine. No issues, working well. Could register the product online with Sharp (Not sure it means anything though...). Screen seems flawless. I'll see after a few days how it goes
Delivery guy was nice and diligent, quite in a hurry but a tip helped. He is a free lancer and explained me actually he never saw a company that badly organized. This probably explains why they are not very timely
Anyway if you want a TV for a good price and are ready to cope with the few annoying calls it takes to get it in a 7-10 days, so far I can only recommend them. It's cheaper than new with any other shop, and a more expensive than an "open box" TV (So I hope the maker's warranty actually works, although I hope I will never have to find out...)
So for the hesitant who are ready to make a few insisting calls, it's worth it
post #22 of 41 Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Moa, that's good to hear your story too. I registered my serial number at Panasonic's site and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

So since I bought my tv almost 3 weeks ago, the price has dropped $215! Discovercard has a price protection feature that reimburses me the difference in price drops between then and 90 days later, up to $500. I didn't think I would have to ask for the max difference, but at this rate, who knows. I'll be sure to capitalize off of this difference.
post #23 of 41 Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 AM

I placed an order last night around 7pm EST for a 65" VT60. I am surprised that I haven't received the phone call yet to sell me the "white glove" delivery and what not. I am from upstate NY -- perhaps the shipping costs aren't too expensive to this area or did it take a day or so for anyone else to receive that phone call?

Update: They just called and apparently Im not in their shipping zone so they had to get another shipping company which cost me $180 extra. Still a good price overall.

Polk RTI A9 Fronts
Polk CSI A6 Center
Polk RTI A1 Surrounds
HSU VTF-15H sub
Emotiva XPA-3
Onkyo 809
Panasonic 65VT60
post #24 of 41 Old 11-01-2013, 07:41 PM

Took the plunge today, purchasing the TC-P65ZT60. Supposedly the blowout prices lasted until midnight tonight. I placed the order online since they were closed for the day and I did get an order number and in the details included the date, so I should be fine. I ordered the white glove delivery also. I hope and pray everything works out OK, I am in no serious rush, meaning I can wait the 10ish business days. I'm expecting things to go fine. This is not the first online vendor that I've dealt with for a TV and those previous experiences worked out well.

I understand these guys will probably call regarding this, that and the other thing.....but I do have confirmation from them that my order is placed. I will deal with those upsales accordingly. As long as the TV is delivered and in good condition I'll be very happy. The pricing compared to everywhere else left me no choice and no one else is even close as of today.

Wish me luck!!
post #25 of 41 Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
post #26 of 41 Old 11-13-2013, 07:21 PM

I too just took the plunge. Read the other threads noted above and figure I will take a shot.

Saving close to $1k off the sharp le857u.

I just placed the order tonight, expecting the sales call first thing in the am.

Will keep you all fully posted on how the transaction goes and what the sales pitch is like…

eek.gif
post #27 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 04:26 PM

I bought a 65in Samsung LED TV. So far it has been a nightmare experience. Placed an order 27th of Oct. Then received a call on the 31st just to tell me that I wasn't eligible for 2% cashback because the discount is for wire transfer only.  (Why did it take the discount code when i used my credit card?) so i agreed with it and i was told that i should get my TV within 2 weeks. A week later I went to check the status of my order on their website and it said "ready to ship". So i called and asked about it. The guy told me that it's been shipped and but he didn't have the tracking #. After 10 mins of intense conversation, the guy magically "found" the tracking # and gave me the website's shipping company called AM Trucking. So tracked it and seemed legit. Four days had gone by my order never moved. I called the AM Trucking and asked for status and I was told that they never received the item and advised me to call the merchant. The customer service was awful and got hung up twice and hold on for than 10 mins AND had to tell my story 4 times because i was bounced around to different "agents" because no one has a clue where it is (or is this a scam? well see...) so then ECTV agent told me they would call the AM trucking and give me a call back. No calls received. I called AM trucking and told me that the item is in transit and I should receive it next week.  Hmmm. told me they never received it and now in transit? they got all that done in 30 mins? sounds like a total BS. Good thing though, I called my credit card company and willing to work this out if this turns out to be a scam.

post #28 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

You must not have done your homework. Would have saved you some grief.

So far it sounds par for the course. Just make sure you call and get some shipping cost refunded because of the wait.
post #29 of 41 Old 11-16-2013, 09:49 AM

This is proving not to be one of my smarter moves.....
Ordered the ZT65" Panasonic on 11/1. I received a call on 11/4 to verify to order and the wheels were set in motion.
11/13....Figuring that I purchased the "Express White Glove Delivery" and since the 7-10 days were expiring, I called them to see if they could give me any answer about tracking. I was told that the shipping company would contact me and arrange for delivery....guy was surprised I hadn't received my set yet and he said to call him the following morning.
11/14....called and he tells me the shipping company had damaged the TV in transit (they "found this out") just this morning...replacement item slated for me. I ask whether or not they would be kind enough to send me an e-mail or call me verifying my replacement shipped. No call no e-mail.
11/15....called to find out if they shipped my item. I was told no and to be patient.....can you believe that???? I asked them if they could tell me when they're gonna ship this thing? My response after a little more wringing was next week....he hopes...HE HOPES!!! Seriously??? and then the 7-10 business days beyond that.
My order always showed "processing" trying to track it at the website.
I was not in any particular hurry but this is ridiculous.....pulling teeth to get any information regarding order status at all is not good business. I could be wrong but I don't think it ever shipped in the first place.
I'm within an eyelash of calling this company and cancelling my order but I can't do that today...closed on Sat.
Refunding me better not be the nightmare that this goose chase has been so far.
I caused this headache myself all in the name of trying to be cheap and saving (significant) money.
So far: epic fail!!
post #30 of 41 Old 11-16-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to hear. I guess successfully ordering from them now sounds like a luck of the draw. Make sure they refund your white glove delivery then...every penny of it. It's outside the timeframe promised by now. I hope things turn out right for you.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page