Panasonic Exiting Plasma TV Business - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-28-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If it's true that Panasonic is not going to make any more plasma displays after Spring of 2014, I'm wondering if I should purchase a 65ZT60? Could there be issues down the line with regard to parts and repair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-31-2013, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Worse, it stops at December; and they aren't considering outsourcing any PDPs.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-31-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So, buy or don't buy?
post #4 of 13 Old 10-31-2013, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you have a man cave, then you need a plasma TV that will fit in it. And don't buy an LG yet.
kkirsche likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-12-2013, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
A man cave? What if that's a woman. Is it a woman cave or does it revert to basement or family room as it has always been called. Sorry, but you've been watching way too much HGTV if you're reverted to using that term.

In terms of its repair, I'm sure it'll be fine. Panasonic will still be in the TV business and they make money selling parts. I wouldn't worry about it. It's considered by many to be the best consumer TV ever made.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-12-2013, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Typically, it's a man who sets up such a hideout that appeals to his guiltier of pleasures. Let's not get caught up in political correctness now (I've seen it referenced as such many times, irrespective of HGTV viewership).
kkirsche likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-12-2013, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Might as well get the greatest final plasma flatscreen television that Panasonic has ever produced if you have the money.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yeah, we'll likely end up like the Kuro owners are now. Praying that their set doesn't die. Sadly, there's still posts on here full of people lining up to give those Korean idiots money for an K8500sdfiefis or whatever stupid naming convention they use for their knock offs.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-22-2013, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
^I wouldn't buy one due to the floating black phenomenon and my preferred dark viewing environment, but the F8500 is not *that* bad. wink.gif
post #10 of 13 Old 11-22-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by housequestion View Post

Yeah, we'll likely end up like the Kuro owners are now. Praying that their set doesn't die. Sadly, there's still posts on here full of people lining up to give those Korean idiots money for an K8500sdfiefis or whatever stupid naming convention they use for their knock offs.

I kind of think these kind of posts give your other posts less value. I am currently looking at and ordered a VT60 but can respect Samsung, their smarthub seems superior, their brightness almost compares the LED level and they are great looking TVs. For me it honestly came down to which one I could get a better deal on.

post #11 of 13 Old 11-29-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude View Post

I kind of think these kind of posts give your other posts less value. I am currently looking at and ordered a VT60 but can respect Samsung, their smarthub seems superior, their brightness almost compares the LED level and they are great looking TVs. For me it honestly came down to which one I could get a better deal on.

This is typical brand loyalty. I don't think it undermines other posts. Samsung does make a decent television. Where your priorities differ, would be that most plasma owners don't care about "smart" features, since you can get them in every other device that is already connected to the TV, and that brightness is actually a hindrance to picture quality in most cases. Honestly, they are both great TV's. Keep in mind though, that most people looking at them aren't looking for "smart" apps and probably turn the brightness WAY down. smile.gif

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-24-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I would venture to say that anyone interested in "smart apps" to any significant degree has their tv connected to a media pc. And a smart tv compared to that is quite poor and money spent uselessly.

Tony
post #13 of 13 Old 12-24-2013, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I had some of the same questions that you have asked but I ultimately decided to bite the bullet and get the 65ZT60. I did so because I like the image I get from plasma better than from LCD's in my HT room, and I did not want to regret not getting one of the best plasma TV's ever made once Panasonic quit the business. I've not regretted my purchase once since I got it. If this plasma is like any of the other TV's that I've bought over the past five odd years, then I doubt that much will go wrong with it.

I should also mention that I have a Samsung LCD for my bedroom, so I have nothing against either Samsung or LCD's. It is just that I prefer the deeper blacks and greater off-axis viewing afforded by the Panasonic plasma for my HT room.

Cal68

Cal68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page