P65VT60 set up question.. No 5.1 DD from Vierra apps? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Guys, I apologize if this post is in the wrong area. Please relocate to appropriate area if necessary.

I recently purchased the P65VT60 and I love it. This VT60 will be hooked up to a home theater system and my a/v receiver is a Marantz SR7500 7.1. This receiver pre dates HDMI inputs and (ARC) so I can't run HDMI cables directly from the VT60 to the a/v receiver.

Here's my current configuration.

HDMI cable from Directv HD DVR box to HDMI #1 on the VT60
Optical cable from Directv HD DVR to a/v receiver

With this configuration I get a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal showing on my a/v receiver. All the red surround sound indicators light up showing it's a digital signal. No problem at all with this.

My Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Blu Ray player is hooked up in a very similar fashion.

HDMI cable from Blu Ray Player to HDMI #2 (ARC) on the VT60
Optical cable from Blu Ray Player to a/v receiver.

Once again, Great picture and 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS, etc. showing on a/v receiver display.

So from everything I've read the only way I can get Viera apps audio to play through the home theater is run and optical cable from the VT60 to the a/v receiver and turn the internal speaker on the tv down to zero.

I've done that and I'm getting audio but it looks like it's 2 channel or something. I hear it coming out of all speakers but it's definetly not 5.1 DD and none of the Dolby Digital display lights are showing in red.

So I'm fine with my audio/video content that seems to be 5.1 DD coming from my Directv HD DVR. But when I want to listen to Viera apps the audio coming from the optical cable connecting the VT60 and a/v receiver is garbage.

Anyone have any suggestions. Seems like a lot of people are having similar results.

Do I need to purchase a new a/v receiver that accepts HDMI & ARC? Is that the answer or would I still not get a digital signal from vierra apps.

And I have yet to see if I'm getting any kind of digital 5.1 signal from my blu ray player with Netflix or any of the other apps.

Sorry this is a little long winded but I wanted to try and explain as clear as possible.

Looking for answers. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-09-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 623
This is the plasma deals section. There is a VT60 thread in the plasma section. Would suggest you head over there.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page