Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 02-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLI View Post

Does it say open box/demo or display on your BB receipt cause ST won't cover as they say that's considered a refurb. I spoke to 3 different people @ ST about it.
That's interesting, I thought open box items bought from Best Buy still come with the manufacturer's warranty as if it was new in box. Sears lists all their floor model tvs as Reconditioned on their website but state they still come with the manufacturer's warranty. It would make sense for Square Trade to not add an extended warranty to an item that doesn't come with the manufacturer's warranty, like a tv purchased used from someone on Craigslist. I'm sure that's why they say it has to be purchased from an authorized retailer. But you would think a tv bought from an authorized retailer with the manufacturer's warranty would be eligible.

If you buy a floor model tv from Costco you can still buy the extended warranty and that tv could have several thousand hours of use on it, obviously not really a new tv. I guess as long as the receipt doesn't say it's open box then it's OK. The Terms and Conditions of the Square Trade agreement describes a Waiting Period which applies to Protection Plans purchased for refurbished items. I guess you can purchase a warranty for a refurbed item from them that's not a tv, maybe because tvs are more costly to repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 02-22-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad123 View Post

That's interesting, I thought open box items bought from Best Buy still come with the manufacturer's warranty as if it was new in box. Sears lists all their floor model tvs as Reconditioned on their website but state they still come with the manufacturer's warranty. It would make sense for Square Trade to not add an extended warranty to an item that doesn't come with the manufacturer's warranty, like a tv purchased used from someone on Craigslist. I'm sure that's why they say it has to be purchased from an authorized retailer. But you would think a tv bought from an authorized retailer with the manufacturer's warranty would be eligible.

If you buy a floor model tv from Costco you can still buy the extended warranty and that tv could have several thousand hours of use on it, obviously not really a new tv. I guess as long as the receipt doesn't say it's open box then it's OK. The Terms and Conditions of the Square Trade agreement describes a Waiting Period which applies to Protection Plans purchased for refurbished items. I guess you can purchase a warranty for a refurbed item from them that's not a tv, maybe because tvs are more costly to repair.
Open box TV's from Best Buy do come with the manufacturer warranty and you can also add Best Buy's extended warranties to them as well. Can't speak for how ST handles open box items though. Their policy can be totally different then what Best Buy or what manufacturers offer.
post #33 of 37 Old 02-22-2014, 02:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Open box TV's from Best Buy do come with the manufacturer warranty and you can also add Best Buy's extended warranties to them as well. Can't speak for how ST handles open box items though. Their policy can be totally different then what Best Buy or what manufacturers offer.
Right, unfortunately Best Buy's extended warranties are a lot more expensive than Square Trade.
post #34 of 37 Old 02-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
These guys might be worth a try.

http://www.securranty.com/extended-warranties/view/tv-warranty/

Anyone have experience with them?
post #35 of 37 Old 02-23-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad123 View Post

Right, unfortunately Best Buy's extended warranties are a lot more expensive than Square Trade.

You get what you pay for. BB warranty is one of the best around, look at all the conditions on the Squate Grade warranty.
post #36 of 37 Old 04-04-2014, 07:26 PM

Liked: 10
Wow the Costco Squaretrade warranty is great! I checked on ST's website and the same coverage is $300! Currently $89 at Costco....amazing!
post #37 of 37 Old 04-04-2014, 08:32 PM

Liked: 13

Amazon has it pretty cheap too. Just wondering if anyone's bought from there and does the TV have to be from Amazon? Given the fact that Costco doesn't require it I am pretty sure Amazon does not either. No terms on Amazon to look up.

Edit: NVM same answer. Does not matter from whom you buy Square Trade. I'll be snatching Amazon's up.

http://www.amazon.com/SquareTrade-5-Year-Protection-Plan-1250/dp/B005STXPX2/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y#productDetails

Competitive pricing for the mid-range TV's.

3 years, $70 for a $1499.99 TV works for me. Not sure if you can apply Square Trade coupons on Amazon tho...?????

P54G10, PN64F5500 owner.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page