AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals! (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/198-plasma-flat-panel-great-found-deals/)
-   -   Can anyone suggest a good place to purchase a warranty? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/198-plasma-flat-panel-great-found-deals/1512221-can-anyone-suggest-good-place-purchase-warranty.html)

mikelz85 01-15-2014 11:10 PM

So, any number of places sell warranties, however I'm wondering if there's somewhere that tends to offer more competitive pricing. I've heard good things about Square Trade warranties, and I know Costco has good prices on them, but I am pretty sure they are only for displays purchased at Costco. I'm looking to pick one up for my VT60. Also, how long does one typically have to purchase a warranty from the time of display purchase? Finally, is anyone familiar with how the AMEX warranty extension works with extended warranties? AMEX extends a manufacturers warranty by 1 year, however I am not sure if this runs concurrent to an extended warranty (meaning it is effectively worthless if you get an extended warranty) or if after the extended warranty expires, AMEX then gives 1 year.

vinnie97 01-16-2014 12:30 AM

There's conflicting information on Costco's SquareTrade warranties, but they *should* be applicable to a TV bought elsewhere. Adorama is a good (competitive) source for Mack ext. warranties. With SquareTrade, you need to purchase within 60 days of TV receipt. With Mack, you have 9 months to decide. I'll let someone else address AMEX. Some have stated it begins at the end of the ext. warranty, but I would be wary of this unless I could find it in writing or on an official terms of service documentation.

dsskid 01-16-2014 07:08 AM

Can you buy a Best Buy plasma warranty if you didn't buy it from Best Buy?

vinnie97 01-16-2014 12:31 PM

No, sadly.

mikelz85 01-17-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

There's conflicting information on Costco's SquareTrade warranties, but they *should* be applicable to a TV bought elsewhere. Adorama is a good (competitive) source for Mack ext. warranties. With SquareTrade, you need to purchase within 60 days of TV receipt. With Mack, you have 9 months to decide. I'll let someone else address AMEX. Some have stated it begins at the end of the ext. warranty, but I would be wary of this unless I could find it in writing or on an official terms of service documentation.

I'd be curious about Costco, since their prices are favorable, although I have read a thread on AVS where IIRC, people stated it had to be bought at Costco. Mack vs SquareTrade? I haven't heard alot about Mack, but most of what I've heard about ST is that someone comes by, sees the TV doesn't work, and cuts them a check. The way I see it, with the plasma lines dying out, I'm pretty much just going to get my money back if it dies a few years from now, I'd rather not deal with someone trying to get me an "equivalent model", or repair it.

vinnie97 01-17-2014 12:27 AM

Both companies in their TOS claim they will attempt repair first. Since, like you stated, repair will be more difficult with this being the end-of-line, it is entirely possible both companies will be more likely to just issue checks than conduct repairs. This could actually end up making ST look more favorable since Mack claims they will refund the fair market value. I have a Mack warranty all the same (also had one for a Kuro that I didn't end up needing), so I'm in it for the long haul.

soobaerodude 01-17-2014 11:35 AM

You don't need to purchase the TV from Costco in order to get the Costco/Squaretrade TV plan
Quote:
Plan must be bought within 60 days of TV purchase. Costco Members may buy plans for new TVs purchased from a Costco warehouse, Costco.com or any authorized US retailer

Amex will add an additional year of protection after the Costco plan ends: Amex Extended Warranty Terms
Quote:
If the product also is covered by a purchased service contract, this Plan’s extended warranty time period begins at the end of the service contract and extends the original manufacturer’s warranty for a period of time equal to that warranty, up to one (1) additional year

So, if you purchase the Costco plan for a TV purchased outside of Costco, coverage will look like this if you used an Amex card:

Year 1 - Manufacturer
Year 2 - Squaretrade
Year 3 - Squaretrade
Year 4 - Squaretrade
Year 5 - Amex

tonestert 01-17-2014 12:52 PM

I bought my 65VT60 from Amazon using their credit card with the 24 month financing. Will I get any kind of Credit Card extended warranty ? The card is a Amazon store card and it is through GE Capital.

wse 01-17-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobaerodude View Post

You don't need to purchase the TV from Costco in order to get the Costco/Squaretrade TV plan
You are 100% sure about that?
Amex will add an additional year of protection after the Costco plan ends: Amex Extended Warranty Terms
So, if you purchase the Costco plan for a TV purchased outside of Costco, coverage will look like this if you used an Amex card:

Year 1 - Manufacturer
Year 2 - Squaretrade
Year 3 - Squaretrade
Year 4 - Squaretrade
Year 5 - Amex
I will do just that :)

THANKS GREAT IDEA

avsno0bie 01-17-2014 05:43 PM

Hello,

Is there anyway I can find out which US store are authorized retailer? I've purchase my 60VT from BrandsmartUSA (waiting for next week delivery), are they considered and authorized retailer?

wse 01-17-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsno0bie View PostHello,Is there anyway I can find out which US store are authorized retailer? I've purchase my 60VT from BrandsmartUSA (waiting for next week delivery), are they considered and authorized reta
YES!

Panasonic Authorized Consumer Electronics Retailers

Benefits of Buying from Panasonic Authorized Retailers
Authorized Panasonic Retailers - Cameras and Camcorders

Authorized Retailers - Home Entertainment Products

• Aarons, Inc
  • ABC
  • Abt Electronics
  • Amazon
  • Best Buy
  • The Big Screen Store
  • Brandsmart
  • Costco
  • Fry's Electronics
  • Gregg Appl
  • Hawthorne Home Appliance and Electronics
  • HSN
  • Kmart
  • Curacao
  • Magnolia Audio/Video
  • Magnolia Home Theater
  • Navy Exchange
  • Nebraska Furniture Mart
  • P.C. Richard & Son
  • Pacific Sales
  • Paul's TV
  • Paulson's
  • QVC
  • RC Willey
  • Rent-a-Center
  • Sam's Club
  • Sears
  • Target
  • Video Only
  • WalMart
  • US Appliance

avsno0bie 01-17-2014 05:54 PM

Thank you very much!

wse 01-17-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsno0bie View Post

Thank you very much!

Most welcome :)

supernole 01-17-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I have never used the Amex warranty for TV's but I have for laptops and I thought they are more liberal on paying a claim than an extended warranty would be.For one they let me take my laptop to anywhere I wanted to get it fixed and all I had to do was submit the repair bill.They recently gave me the full amount of $ 500.00 I paid for a refurbished laptop I bought at the Lenovo outlet after I submitted a hand written estimate that said repair cost would be more than replacement cost from a guy that works on computers out of his home.

I am in the insurance business and my theory on why they are so liberal on paying claims is because all insurance policies sold in a particular state must be approved by the insurance commissioner and part of that approval process is examining the lost ratio in relationship to the premiums paid.(by Amex) I believe that this insurance is way under used because many people just don't think about using it especially on smaller priced items which the premiums paid by Amex for this coverage are based on paying those claims as well. If the claim experience is very very low the insurance departments may not approve it as a valid insurance product and Amex wouldn't have a very low cost benefit with very high appeal to consumers to offer their card holders - so they need the claims!

soobaerodude 01-17-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

You are 100% sure about that?

I got the Costco plan for a TV purchased from Best Buy, and registered it without issue. If you follow the link in my post, you will see I am quoting exactly from the Costco plan page.

There was conflicting language last month about the plan only covering Costco TVs, but it's very clear now. In fact, I just purchased the plan again today for another non-Costco TV, and the pamphlet says it will cover purchases from authorized US dealers

wse 01-18-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobaerodude View PostI got the Costco plan for a TV purchased from Best Buy, and registered it without issue. If you follow the link in my post, you will see I am quoting exactly from the Costco plan page.

There was conflicting language last month about the plan only covering Costco TVs, but it's very clear now. In fact, I just purchased the plan again today for another non-Costco TV, and the pamphlet clearly says it will cover purchases from authorized US dealers

Great I love it

Golfdad123 01-18-2014 10:15 AM

I just saw the list above of authorized US Panasonic dealers and HHGregg is not on the list. A manager told me they stopped selling Panasonic products a couple years ago but started back up again this year. I can't imagine them not being an authorized dealer but I'm concerned about the Square Trade extended warranty I was going to buy from Costco. It says it's good as long as the purchase is from an authorized dealer.

Has anyone contacted Panasonic about this? I had a 65VT60 ordered from Amazon when they dropped the price last week but ended up getting it locally from HHGregg so I didn't have to worry about possible shipping damage and having to stay home from work for the delivery time. I know plenty others have also bought their Panasonics this year from HHGregg.

Himes 01-18-2014 10:41 AM

They are on the list of authorized retailers...under the name "Gregg Appl."

Golfdad123 01-18-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himes View Post

They are on the list of retailers under the name "Gregg Appl."
I found it with a little more research, thanks. Was wondering if that was them and why they would leave HH off. I'm trying not to second guess myself for cancelling my Amazon order and going with HH Gregg since the one I got from them was a May build and I can hear the fans some, not bad. Probably would have gotten a newer build with the fix had I stayed with Amazon though I read some who just got theirs from Amazon got earlier builds before the fix. That's why the plan is to get the warranty for some peace of mind.

mungee 02-13-2014 09:16 PM

I bought the 2 year Geek squad plan with my 60ZT60 and then read up on the Costco-Squaretrade plan 3 Years (For TVs Over $1,000) - Item# 575686 for $99.00

You can return the Geek Squad plan for a full refund within the first 15 days of purchase but they DO NOT MAKE IT EASY. They call the HT guys to confirm if I can "return it" and they asked why? Told them Costco was 5 year plan for less.

Costco Plan:
First 2 years Manufacturers/Costco Concierge
Next 3 years of Square Trade

For $106 including tax.

Way better deal than the $300 (including tax) that I paid for the 2 year Geek Squad.

Once you buy the Costco Plan you get a second email from Square Trade to register and activate your warranty.

Best Buy is an authorized retailer but the TC-P60ZT60 was not a model in their drop down list of Panasonic>TV. I had to manually enter it in the "Other" field. But the warranty was activated without any hassle.

Stiltz 02-14-2014 12:46 AM

Do the Square Trade warranties apply to Amazon Warehouse "used" plasmas?

soobaerodude 02-14-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungee View Post

Costco Plan:
First 2 years Manufacturers/Costco Concierge
Next 3 years of Square Trade

You only get year 2 covered by Costco Concierge if the TV was purchased from Costco. Otherwise, years 2, 3 and 4 are covered by Squaretrade. This makes it a 4 year plan

mungee 02-14-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobaerodude View Post

You only get year 2 covered by Costco Concierge if the TV was purchased from Costco. Otherwise, years 2, 3 and 4 are covered by Squaretrade. This makes it a 4 year plan

Absolutely, but 4 years for $106 is still better than 2 years for $300.

kluken 02-14-2014 06:38 PM

I went the ST option from Costco for both my VT60s, one I got from Amazon and the other Brandsmart. I registered them and uploaded the receipt. I then called ST and they updated the purchase date and the coverage so that it shows 4 total years for each TV. Not bad to get 3 extra years for $99.

RFK54 02-15-2014 10:41 AM

While I hope I never have to use them, I got 2 squaretrade warranties through costco. One on my new 55vt60 and one on my demo 65zt60. On the demo unit the warranties coverage is for the price I actually paid for the set shown on the Best Buy receipt before taxes. Each 3 year warranty ran me about $113.00 which includes tax and a $5.00 non member fee. Not a bad cost for 3 extra years protection.

elmorage 02-15-2014 03:52 PM

I just bought the costco ST warranty for my 65vt60. I always turn down extended coverage plans but $99 for an extra 3 years was a no brainer. Especially since it pushes the amex warranty out to the 5th year when something is much more likely to go wrong.

727 02-15-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK54 View Post

While I hope I never have to use them, I got 2 squaretrade warranties through costco. One on my new 55vt60 and one on my demo 65zt60. On the demo unit the warranties coverage is for the price I actually paid for the set shown on the Best Buy receipt before taxes.

So you were able to buy the Costco S/T warranty on a demo TV? I always thought the TV had to be new.

This is great news as I have an "Open Box-New Condition" TV that I thought wouldn't be covered.

RFK54 02-16-2014 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727 View Post

So you were able to buy the Costco S/T warranty on a demo TV? I always thought the TV had to be new.

This is great news as I have an "Open Box-New Condition" TV that I thought wouldn't be covered.

Yes, as long as it's within 60 days of purchase. Coverage will be for the price before taxes that you paid for the demo unit.

RICLI 02-16-2014 11:05 AM

Does it say open box/demo or display on your BB receipt cause ST won't cover as they say that's considered a refurb. I spoke to 3 different people @ ST about it.

RFK54 02-16-2014 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLI View Post

Does it say open box/demo or display on your BB receipt cause ST won't cover as they say that's considered a refurb. I spoke to 3 different people @ ST about it.

The receipt I have was made out as new but for the demo cost I believe so they could do a home delivery on an open item. Sorry, I should have clarified that.