Samsung 1080p PN60F5300AFXZA ENERGY STAR® - $679 + Free Shipping - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 05-31-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This probably won't interest many here, but this TV is currently just $679 at Sears.com.

Product Description

Enjoy bold picture at a better value. The new Samsung plasma TV PN60F5300 is designed for those seeking a great cinematic performance without having to bust the bank. You'll enjoy a stunning, 1080p HD viewing experience that's enhanced by our Real Black Panel, 600Hz Subfield Motion and Wide Color Enhancer Plus. Clear Image Panel delivers striking contrasts between deep black levels and bright whites while 600Hz Subfield Motion captures the crisp detail of high-speed action. Wide Color Enhancer Plus expands the color range to capture every vibrant hue, just as the director intended.
Full HD 1080p: The realistic detail of Full HD images invites you to enjoy a viewing experience that redefines reality
1080p Vertical Picture Performance 1920 x 1080: Energy Saving panel scans at 1080p vertical line count and delivers a 1920 x 1080 (black and white) resolution
Real Black Panel: Advancement in software technology that provides deeper and darker black levels for bolder hues, higher contrast, and smoother, clearer picture quality
Clear Image Panel: The clear image technology feature provides anti-reflection for a better viewing experience. The single layer panel structure eliminates the production of dual images and blurring, especially at off angled viewing
Wide Color Enhancer Plus: Enhances hues by expanding the color range for a more vivid viewing experience especially beneficial when watching older film productions and non high definition content
600Hz Subfield Motion: Samsung Plasma TV generates a frame of video at 600 times a second. The result is smoother images with unprecedented picture quality, especially beneficial when viewing sports and fast action movies
ConnectShare™ Movie: Lets you watch videos, play music or view photos* from a USB connection without needing to use a PC or special equipment. Simply plug your USB directly into your Samsung TV’s USB port and watch on the big screen with friends and family
HDMI®: High-quality single-cable digital audio/video interface for connecting the TV to a digital cable box, satellite box, DVD and Blu-ray Player, PC computers, PC portable devices, new-generation tablets and devices featuring the HDMI output
USB: Connects a variety of computer, audio and video devices to the TV. USB movie capability allows the streaming of video from storage devices, cameras, camcorders and USB drives
Component In: Analog video connection transmits HD RGB video using three RCA connections
Shared Composite in (AV): Analog video connection transmits video using one RCA connection
Dolby® Digital Plus/Pulse: Optimizes the TV sound quality when viewing and listening to Internet movies, Internet music and other content played back from wired or wireless mobile phones, PCs, and tablet devices
DTS Premium Sound™ decoding with DTS Studio Sound™ processing: Decodes DTS-encoded content, such as TV programming, Blu-ray™ movies and streaming media, and processes stereo content to deliver an optimized surround sound experience with enhanced bass response, clear dialog and consistent volume levels
Eco Sensor: Samsung Eco Sensor measures the intensity of the light in the room and automatically adjusts the brightness of the image on the TV, for more intelligent energy management
Compatible with: Mini wall mount and VESA wall mount
Universal Remote Control: A remote control that has universal function and can therefore operate various types of devices, i.e a set-top box. Minimizing the amount of remote controls necessary
1-year parts and 1-year labor warranty (90-days parts and labor for commercial use) with in-home service, backed by Samsung toll-free support

* Supported formats include AVI, ASF, MP3, JPEG and others. See user manual for full list of supported video/music/photo formats
This product is:
Energy Star Qualified
BobRiff and mls64 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-31-2014, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19

It's definitely a great set. These are hitting the bargain bins and IMO, are the best values PQ-wise on the market now, even though they are a year old, but they are manufacturing the BF model. My set is an April 2014, so it's good people are starting to get a good look at these. I'm sure many people who are on the fence about picking up a cheap set would definitely be interested in picking one up. Even the hardcore videophiles would find this a cheap bargain for a bedroom set and love it.

post #3 of 38 Old 06-02-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The 51F5300 is also a great bargain right now as well. Sears.com has it for $529, which is back to that great Black Friday holiday price. And Best Buy has it for $549. But both Best Buy and HHG should price match Sears if you want to go in store and pick one up. And the 51" is a true 1080p resolution with sharp images and a smooth screen. The 60", while nice, has the rougher Pentile screen and is not full 1080p resolution. But these are about the best bargains for the best bang for your buck TV out there right now. Although the LG PB6600 can be found in a similar price range also, and it adds a Smart TV. But most give the edge to Samsung in terms of pic quality.
post #4 of 38 Old 06-02-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Tony,
I just want to thank you for the heads up on Samsung 60f 5300 plasma. I just ordered it from Sears and it will be delivered Thursday.

It will be replacing a 2006 JVC 56fn97 LCOS that I bought on recommendation from AVS. It has just worn out.

I had narrowed down my choices to Toshiba 55L7400, Sony 55w800b, and Vizio M602i-b3. My wife was more interested in the price and me making a decision.
I am buying this to bridge the gap between and when and if OLED gets manufactured. Although I am a little worried about reflections and heat production, price and wide angle viewing were selling points.

Thanks again for the information @ Sears which brings up another worry---the longevity of Sears.

Cheers,

Bill
post #5 of 38 Old 06-02-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Glad that some are finding this deal beneficial...

It's exactly what I wanted at this time. We'll be watching a lot of sports, at various off axis angles in the room, so plasma was desired. The future truly seems to be OLED though, thus Panasonic's move. 4k and up, but where's the programming? Our GoPro is about it for us. I'll wait this stuff out and in a couple to a few years later, re-evaluate...

I didn't want the "overhead" of a smart TV, which we don't use on our current set. I prefer a dedicated box that can specialize in such, much like I wouldn't want a VHS/CD/DVD combo or similar stuff we've seen over time. Integration is nice, but to a point...

2 HDMI inputs is a bit of a bummer though. i just ordered last night a 5/1 HDMI auto switch though. Should do the trick...
post #6 of 38 Old 06-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for posting this deal, I just ordered one.

Any pointers/links to specifics about break-in and setup would be appreciated! (edited - I see that this is likely unnecessary)

Also need to pick up a high quality mounting bracket.
post #7 of 38 Old 06-05-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

No problem mls64.

My mount arrived yesterday, TV tomorrow...

I wanted one that would span 3 studs, which i prefer, so I got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UWXW0Y/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently Will, in the 2nd post here has done a good job with the calibration. Break-in, not sure exactly...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476482/samsung-pn60f5300-calibration-settings

Enjoy.
mls64 likes this.
post #8 of 38 Old 06-05-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post

My mount arrived yesterday, TV tomorrow...

I wanted one that would span 3 studs, which i prefer, so I got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UWXW0Y/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently Will, in the 2nd post here has done a good job with the calibration. Break-in, not sure exactly...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476482/samsung-pn60f5300-calibration-settings

Enjoy.

Thanks. I may have to find a different mount, as the center of the wall (where I want the center of the TV), is dead center between two studs. The three-stud-span tv mounts may not allow me to center the TV. Finding a sturdy enough 2-stud model is a challenge.

--Michael
post #9 of 38 Old 06-05-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls64 View Post

Thanks. I may have to find a different mount, as the center of the wall (where I want the center of the TV), is dead center between two studs. The three-stud-span tv mounts may not allow me to center the TV. Finding a sturdy enough 2-stud model is a challenge.

--Michael

Micheal, I think the hooks on the mount, the part that secures to the VESA on the back of TV, can be moved to where desired. Again, I think... Meaning that you can lift the set and move left/ right to a desired spot, then lower it back down on the wall mount portion, the horizontal bar, or I guess lip in this case. I've seen some like that, so that might be the case here.

While I got this yesterday at the new house, I have not opened it yet (at the "old" house now). I'll take a look tonight...
post #10 of 38 Old 06-06-2014, 09:31 AM

I got the Samsung 60f5300 yesterday. Watch some UTube vids which helped the unboxing and mounting a manageable breeze. One of my sons came over and got me through the initial set up. The picture is very good and my two concerns: reflections and heat production are there. The reflections are easy to live with though. My wife says the heat will be good in the winter time. I don't think the heat is any worse than my former LCOS JVC 56FN97's output. For $679 I think this was a bargain. We'll see what the future brings.
post #11 of 38 Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the update pumpsie.

I think like your wife re the heat, lol. Plus, we watch more TV in the colder months anyways... However, In a decent-sized room I can't imagine the room temps rising any more than 1 to 2 degrees with extended use, if that much.

The glare / reflection is my biggest concern too. No direct sunlight anywhere in the room, but plenty of windows though. We shall see...

Mine arrives later today, a 3:30 to 5:30 window...
post #12 of 38 Old 06-14-2014, 09:50 AM

I received the TV. Only a few hours on it so far, but really like it. So much so I might pick up a 64" to replace another of our TVs if I can find a similar deal.

Last edited by mls64; 06-15-2014 at 12:26 PM.
post #13 of 38 Old 07-06-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls64 View Post
I received the TV. Only a few hours on it so far, but really like it. So much so I might pick up a 64" to replace another of our TVs if I can find a similar deal.
Its only showing 749 for me.
post #14 of 38 Old 07-06-2014, 09:58 AM

Bummer, it looks like they've raised the price. Still not a bad deal. Great TV for the money, we're really enjoying it.
post #15 of 38 Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls64 View Post
Bummer, it looks like they've raised the price. Still not a bad deal. Great TV for the money, we're really enjoying it.

i dont know what you guys are talking about, but i can still get it for 699 on my cart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sears.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	149986  

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #16 of 38 Old 07-06-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post
i dont know what you guys are talking about, but i can still get it for 699 on my cart.
Interesting. It only showed 749 for me and I already got best buy to refund me the $50. Still not a bad deal but I would have liked to get another $50 back.
post #17 of 38 Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 158
For everyone that just got one of these, are you seeing a pink tint on the bottom and right portions of the screen? You can't see it in most normal programming, but pull up a full white or gray screen and it's there. I think it may be a problem specific to the 60" pentile models, I've seen others post about it on these forums. It's not a deal breaker but it does have me wondering if I should try to find a deal on the $999 64F5300 that has been popping up at Walmart.
post #18 of 38 Old 07-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
For everyone that just got one of these, are you seeing a pink tint on the bottom and right portions of the screen? You can't see it in most normal programming, but pull up a full white or gray screen and it's there. I think it may be a problem specific to the 60" pentile models, I've seen others post about it on these forums. It's not a deal breaker but it does have me wondering if I should try to find a deal on the $999 64F5300 that has been popping up at Walmart.
I haven't seen it yet. I have the "B" model though. Seems like most people reporting have the "A" model. I also only have about 20 hours on it so far and 15 of that has been the break in DVD. Most people seem to report it appearing around 100 hours. If it starts appearing, I'll probably just return the TV and get my money back. Doesn't sound like there's a fix for it.
post #19 of 38 Old 07-06-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi940 View Post
I haven't seen it yet. I have the "B" model though. Seems like most people reporting have the "A" model. I also only have about 20 hours on it so far and 15 of that has been the break in DVD. Most people seem to report it appearing around 100 hours. If it starts appearing, I'll probably just return the TV and get my money back. Doesn't sound like there's a fix for it.
I have the B model and saw it immediately. Try pulling up a full white screen and looking. I actually haven't seen anyone post yet that they have perfect white uniformity. There is also slight vertical banding across the screen.
post #20 of 38 Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My 5350 B model also has the pink at the bottom. I have tried submitting a warranty support claim with Samsung, lets see if they can do anything to help.

Avid AV enthusiast with an HD and LFE addiction.
post #21 of 38 Old 07-07-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
My 5350 B model also has the pink at the bottom. I have tried submitting a warranty support claim with Samsung, lets see if they can do anything to help.
Keep us updated if Samsung has a response. I don't notice it yet so I'm hoping I got lucky.
post #22 of 38 Old 07-14-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just boxed up the tv after seeing the pink tint problem. Not sure if its A or B, but it was very noticeable.
post #23 of 38 Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
I'd be curious on whether you have any luck with this as well. I exchanged my first set that had pretty major red tint along all 4 screen edges. The exchange I got still has the red tint along the bottom edge but it is fainter. Not really noticable unless I'm looking for it or am using it with my HTPC with a full white browser page open. I can live with it for the price, as long as it doesn't get worse. I'm going to be running burn-in slides for 200+ hours in the next couple of weeks to ensure that the issue isn't exacerbated over time and with use.

Everything said and done, this is a fantastic TV for the price. The black levels and image quality is amazing for a budget plasma and imo, the glare issue isn't that bad. The screen isn't as glossy/reflective as my budget Panasonic Plasma TV from 2010.
post #24 of 38 Old 07-15-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm thoroughly impressed and satisfied with this set. I got it for $749 plus tax at my local Costco, same line but different part number. Now my workout routine is suffering because I can't resist the urge to plop down and watch something glorious in 1080p!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photos_-_Google_.png
Views:	38
Size:	790.0 KB
ID:	163065  
post #25 of 38 Old 07-16-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm curious if the warehouse versions of the 60" f5300 (f5350?), such as the one jerich007 purchased above, have the same high occurrence of pink tint issues?

May be worth returning the 60 F5300 I got from Sears and checking my local sams/costco for an f5350. I'd suspect that if it was manufactured recently, there'd be no difference but maybe the warehouses have older stock.
post #26 of 38 Old 07-16-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerich007 View Post
I'm thoroughly impressed and satisfied with this set. I got it for $749 plus tax at my local Costco, same line but different part number. Now my workout routine is suffering because I can't resist the urge to plop down and watch something glorious in 1080p!
Could throw up some black and white video, or greyscale test patterns if you have them, to see if your set suffers from the pink tint issue?

I'm calling up my nearest costco to see if they have this in stock... may be worth a shot, but it is a 1hr drive (one way) for me.
post #27 of 38 Old 07-16-2014, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHomsey View Post
Could throw up some black and white video, or greyscale test patterns if you have them, to see if your set suffers from the pink tint issue?

I'm calling up my nearest costco to see if they have this in stock... may be worth a shot, but it is a 1hr drive (one way) for me.
I haven't seen the pink tint issue, as haven't tested for it (been too busy watching 1080p stuff!). I can try tonight and load up some black and white content. I don't have a calibration kit, but if you know of any links to greyscale test pattern videos, send them over. I may be able to play them over my streaming mini PC.
post #28 of 38 Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM

Liked: 0
i like it,The reflections are easy to live with though. My wife says the heat will be good in the winter time. I don't think the heat is any worse than my former LCOS JVC 56FN97's output. For $679 I think this was a bargain.[IMG]http://*******/WNKpGN[/IMG] We'll see what the future brings.
post #29 of 38 Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen the pink tint issue, as haven't tested for it (been too busy watching 1080p stuff!). I can try tonight and load up some black and white content. I don't have a calibration kit, but if you know of any links to greyscale test pattern videos, send them over. I may be able to play them over my streaming mini PC.
There is a fantastic calibration disc that has many basic and advanced patterns available here. Burn either the AVS Version (if you have a DVD burner) or the HDMV version (if you have a blu ray burner).

Here's the link: AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

In the HCFR section (what I use for calibrating with a meter) there are 10% greyscale patterns. Throw up a 100% full screen pattern (pure white), if it's all uniform in color your set doesn't have the issue.

I called my local costco and they have plenty F5350 60" in stock. I probably wont have a chance to do the exchange until later this weekend. I'll be interested to hear the results regarding your panel, hopefully it's all good!

I'm also curious when your set was manufactured, there is a sticker on the back of the panel that will show it, if it's not too difficult for you to check.
post #30 of 38 Old 07-16-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
You could also just download these jpg images: 2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread

Play it on Windows slideshow or load them on a USB and stick it into the TV and view any of the white/gray images.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page