Best Buy vs. Amazon for a Samsung f8500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-11-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best Buy vs. Amazon for a Samsung f8500

Was hoping to wait for a price reduction on the f8500 but don't want to play any more chicken with dwindling inventory and I already sat on the sidelines for the Panasonic VT60s...so I'm ready to pull the cord!

Anyone have recommendations between buying through Best Buy and Amazon? Price is the same due to UPP and I didn't want to go through a grey market seller - in case there was something wrong with the TV.

Best Buy
* The TV purchase would put the buyer in their Elite Rewards program - increasing the return and price match window from 15 to 30 days.
* about a 2% reward certificate for future purchases
* If you buy with a Chase credit card there's a 2% cash back special for Best Buy
* Free drop it off at the door

Amazon
* Price match is only 14 days (although the return policy is 30?)
* Enhanced delivery where they'll help unpack it / make sure there is no visible damage
* 2% Amazon reward

Right now I'm leaning towards Best Buy due to the longer window to return / get a price match if prices do drop at the end of August / early September. But I'm curious which company other members of the forums prefer to use for their purchases when the price is equal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-11-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Best Buy's Extended Warranty supposedly covers burn in.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-2014, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had the same dilemma, but I ended up going with Best buy. Between the "POSSIBLE" input lag, buzzing, and/or dead pixels that I would have to put up with for 5+ years... I wanted to be able to return/exchange it by hand to a nearby store until I got a perfect set, or be able to return it flat out and get 100% of my money back.

Though... my Best Buy delivery guys actually assembled my TV and moved it to the room I wanted it in, and made sure it worked.... so not sure why you only getting curbside drop off??? Also, some credit cards have an extra 30 days for price protection.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Also if you have a best buy credit card, you can get 10% back in rewards, good chunk of change towards a 3d blu-ray player
post #5 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have a rule - assuming an item of some cost consequence (i.e. not an easy write off) if an item is hard for me to return and/or potentially prone to issues for reason to return, I try to go local. The harder an item is to return and the more prone to potential issues the more the discount needs to be for me to risk online/shipped.

For an item like a large screen plasma it would need to be a substantial savings i.e. $350+ on a $2K display to even make me think about it. I went with amazon for my VT60, that had the last real stock depth and the price was $500+ less than supposed local (couldn't even really find one). My preference would be Sears as their terms have been very good in the past with respect to deliver and demoing a unit in the home. Pansasonic shipping boxes were monsters too so I was really glad I went with them.

My 2 cents but I think this works.

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB View Post
I have a rule - assuming an item of some cost consequence (i.e. not an easy write off) if an item is hard for me to return and/or potentially prone to issues for reason to return, I try to go local. The harder an item is to return and the more prone to potential issues the more the discount needs to be for me to risk online/shipped.

For an item like a large screen plasma it would need to be a substantial savings i.e. $350+ on a $2K display to even make me think about it. I went with amazon for my VT60, that had the last real stock depth and the price was $500+ less than supposed local (couldn't even really find one). My preference would be Sears as their terms have been very good in the past with respect to deliver and demoing a unit in the home. Pansasonic shipping boxes were monsters too so I was really glad I went with them.

My 2 cents but I think this works.
I totally agree with this.

but it appears I'm pretty fortunate as most local stores around here will pricematch, so I never have to choose between a lower price or convenient service. it's nearly always the same price across the board.

it's always nice to buy a $3k product from a place that knows your name

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Amazon , bestbuy , f8500
Gear in this thread - f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page