My 103" Plasma, it's coming this way! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rob-Houston
  • 2 Post By satboy

Old 12-19-2015, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 103" Plasma, it's coming this way!

They have to go somewhere so the TV station I work for gave their resident tech scrounger (me) two Panasonic plasma displays we used on our news set from 2007-2014. Both are very bright and display excellent colors as they displayed moving video and were turned off between newscasts however both have some very slight burn-in from a couple logos that were used over the years, surprisingly unnoticeable, I am guessing that is due to the quality of construction. One is a 720p 65" TH-65PH8UK which at 200lb I managed to take off its rollaround mount and get both home in my Ranger but the other one, a 1080p 103" TH-103PF10UK weighs 485lbs (panel only) and has a 200lb mount on wheels and I want to make sure I transport it properly to not damage it or hurt myself.

For the 103" I have a forklift and operator on the pick-up end but none on the drop-off end at this time which will either be my house if I am to keep it or at the office of my veterinarian if I choose to sell it.

I admit I am tempted to take it home and try it out but at 85" tall with no lower mount rungs it wont fit under the 77" threshold of my garage so it would have to be unmounted. Once off the mount there is no obvious place to grab it either, the back is of lightweight aluminum and on top there are two removable "eyes" for chain hooks to be used to hold it up with a forklift which is how it was assembled when we bought it...for over 40 grand in 07.

If it goes to my veterinarian it just needs to be unloaded into his clinic garage, he intends to use it as a "jumbotron" showing an ad out a window while the clinic is closed. But even that requires getting it off of whatever I deliver it in. A local truck rental suggested a collapsing flatbed trailer.

My questions for the group. Has anyone handled such a large panel before? Would it be better to transport it mounted or disassembled? If it is to be disassembled how many friends does it take to safely move a monitor 7 feet wide and four feet high weighing 485lbs? Other than by dropping it is there any way we could stress it in a way that could cause damage in transportation? Should I keep it? I already have a basement home theater with a BenQ 1075, if I kept it I would want to integrate it so I could pull a screen down in front of it but afraid I might prefer it. My vet has offered me 4 grand for it, how does that sound? Good for who?

Though discontinued this model is still listed on Amazon and the reviews are humorous, there are many but only one is from a person who ever saw one. I can say firsthand that the remote control is not the size of a skateboard. The set does run off single phase 220 and draws 15A maximum. I cannot yet confirm whether or not you can get a tan by standing close to it while displaying a Hawaiian daylight scene.

-Lance

So many things to do and see, a shame I can't clone myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2015, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
485 pounds is one heavy TV!! With most TV's up to 75'' I have no problem transporting them assembling or disassembled. 485 is a lot of weight so I would be concerned with the panel flexing and cracking. I hope you have lots of friends!
Old 12-25-2015, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Been watching one of these at a BJ's Brewhouse in Houston for years! It's only 1080p but displays 4 equal size 540 sources or 1 large and 3 small sources quite well.

"office of my veterinarian"? (can your afford him?)

Never could remember whether it was a 102" for $103,000 retail or a 103" for $102,000 retail!

If you can't afford to have a professional crate it and move it, I'd sell it and take a hit on the cost or add in the cost to the buyer.

Read the plasma forums about cracked screens (children should never be seen in a room with a plasma)!
gus738 likes this.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancef View Post
They have to go somewhere so the TV station I work for gave their resident tech scrounger (me) two Panasonic plasma displays we used on our news set from 2007-2014. Both are very bright and display excellent colors as they displayed moving video and were turned off between newscasts however both have some very slight burn-in from a couple logos that were used over the years, surprisingly unnoticeable, I am guessing that is due to the quality of construction. One is a 720p 65" TH-65PH8UK which at 200lb I managed to take off its rollaround mount and get both home in my Ranger but the other one, a 1080p 103" TH-103PF10UK weighs 485lbs (panel only) and has a 200lb mount on wheels and I want to make sure I transport it properly to not damage it or hurt myself.

For the 103" I have a forklift and operator on the pick-up end but none on the drop-off end at this time which will either be my house if I am to keep it or at the office of my veterinarian if I choose to sell it.

I admit I am tempted to take it home and try it out but at 85" tall with no lower mount rungs it wont fit under the 77" threshold of my garage so it would have to be unmounted. Once off the mount there is no obvious place to grab it either, the back is of lightweight aluminum and on top there are two removable "eyes" for chain hooks to be used to hold it up with a forklift which is how it was assembled when we bought it...for over 40 grand in 07.

If it goes to my veterinarian it just needs to be unloaded into his clinic garage, he intends to use it as a "jumbotron" showing an ad out a window while the clinic is closed. But even that requires getting it off of whatever I deliver it in. A local truck rental suggested a collapsing flatbed trailer.

My questions for the group. Has anyone handled such a large panel before? Would it be better to transport it mounted or disassembled? If it is to be disassembled how many friends does it take to safely move a monitor 7 feet wide and four feet high weighing 485lbs? Other than by dropping it is there any way we could stress it in a way that could cause damage in transportation? Should I keep it? I already have a basement home theater with a BenQ 1075, if I kept it I would want to integrate it so I could pull a screen down in front of it but afraid I might prefer it. My vet has offered me 4 grand for it, how does that sound? Good for who?

Though discontinued this model is still listed on Amazon and the reviews are humorous, there are many but only one is from a person who ever saw one. I can say firsthand that the remote control is not the size of a skateboard. The set does run off single phase 220 and draws 15A maximum. I cannot yet confirm whether or not you can get a tan by standing close to it while displaying a Hawaiian daylight scene.

-Lance
I just wonder what impact the screen will have on your power bill
gus738 and jazzycat like this.

My HT-Setup
LG 65EF9500 OLED - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Technology Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - A60 for ATMOS - SVS Ultra-13 SUB- Xbox One - FIOS - Sony Blu-ray - Monster Power HTS3600 II - Microwave oven for Popcorn
Old 12-29-2015, 04:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancef View Post

If you reattached the two removable eyes, unmounted it using the forklift at work, loaded it into a vehicle, could you use one of these to move it into place? https://www.google.com/search?q=manu...hJwDwofOJbQ%3D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement